From: occassio...@nospam.co.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 05:08:22 +0100
 by: Peter - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 04:08 UTC

This appears to be the first case on record of this happening.

That's because car Wi-Fi systems act like a phone, in that they reach out to
mobile networks to get their data.

The FBI decided to use the cell-site simulator noting that cars like the
Dodge were "frequently equipped with cellular modems inside their vehicles.
These cellular modems are assigned a unique cellular identifier and generate
historical and prospective records similar to a traditional cellular phone."

The case highlights how cars are no longer just vehicles, but networks on
wheels, and all that data can be useful to government agencies.

Police can and have acquired location data from a car's airbag system or
brake light module. They've also previously requested location data from
companies that have in-car systems that track millions of vehicles' GPS
coordinates every day, including GM OnStar, and fleet management providers
Geotab and Spireon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2021/07/22/the-fbi-is-using-stingray-smartphone-surveillance-to-locate-cars-and-spy-on-their-wifi/
The FBI is locating cars by spying on their wi-fi

For this warrant, the FBI first used a pen register, which gets data from a
cellphone provider to monitor connections made by a device to other phones
or electronic devices.

The FBI then used a "ping warrant," which shows the locations of cell towers
used by a device.

The FBI further used a third method called Stingray which masquerades as a
cell tower in order to force all devices in a given area to connect into it.

Agents then picked the number they were interested in to locate the device.

Normally that would be a mobile phone, but a search warrant application
discovered by Forbes shows this third method can also be used to find
vehicles, as long as they have onboard Wi-Fi.

Re: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi

<sdj2h8$fit$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17961&group=comp.mobile.android#17961

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:06:15 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:06 UTC

Am 25.07.21 um 06:08 schrieb Peter:
> This appears to be the first case on record of this happening.
>
> That's because car Wi-Fi systems act like a phone, in that they reach out to
> mobile networks to get their data.

That is exactely the same issue like BT. Only the in-car-distribution is
done by Wi-Fi. The connection to the WAN is done by public mobile networks.

> The FBI decided to use the cell-site simulator noting that cars like the
> Dodge were "frequently equipped with cellular modems inside their vehicles.
> These cellular modems are assigned a unique cellular identifier and generate
> historical and prospective records similar to a traditional cellular phone."
>
> The case highlights how cars are no longer just vehicles, but networks on
> wheels, and all that data can be useful to government agencies.
>
> Police can and have acquired location data from a car's airbag system or
> brake light module. They've also previously requested location data from
> companies that have in-car systems that track millions of vehicles' GPS
> coordinates every day, including GM OnStar, and fleet management providers
> Geotab and Spireon.

Your choice to turn off all these functions. It is your car.

That is exactely the reason why I turn off all communication interfaces
I do not need at this very moment.

Roughly 99% of the time outside my home I don't need BT, GPS and WLAN
(=WiFi). Another positive effect besides much higher privacy and
security is that the battery lasts a lot longer.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi

<sdk8im$uho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17967&group=comp.mobile.android#17967

From: wue...@online.de (Wendelin Uez)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 19:54:35 +0200
 by: Wendelin Uez - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:54 UTC

> Roughly 99% of the time outside my home I don't need BT, GPS and WLAN
> (=WiFi). Another positive effect besides much higher privacy and
> security is that the battery lasts a lot longer.

My historic 30++ years old Baby Benz doesn't take use from neither BT nor
GPS nor WLAN but due to its beautiful characteristic body not only FBI et al
but all people in the city even without any electronic equipment but pure
eyes only immediately recognize my car and so my stopover points.

So can I bring an action against Daimler company to build their cars more
unimposing? Shouldn't I have the right to stay undetected?

And no, the battery of my mobile phone doesn't seem to last longer because
of higher transmitting power needed within metallic environment.

:-)

Re: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi

<sdklql$lae$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17971&group=comp.mobile.android#17971

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 23:41:41 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 21:41 UTC

Am 25.07.21 um 19:54 schrieb Wendelin Uez:
>> Roughly 99% of the time outside my home I don't need BT, GPS and WLAN
>> (=WiFi). Another positive effect besides much higher privacy and
>> security is that the battery lasts a lot longer.
>
> My historic 30++ years old Baby Benz doesn't take use from neither BT nor
> GPS nor WLAN but due to its beautiful characteristic body not only FBI et al
> but all people in the city even without any electronic equipment but pure
> eyes only immediately recognize my car and so my stopover points.

Nobody cares about such an ugly old car.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi

<1n8jkia99w6f9$.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17975&group=comp.mobile.android#17975

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 16:55:45 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:55 UTC

On Jul 25, 2021, Joerg Lorenz wrote
(in article<news:sdklql$lae$2@dont-email.me>):
> Nobody cares about such an ugly old car.

This brings up whether the newer car's with OnStar can have it turned off?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi

<sdllq0$rcn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17989&group=comp.mobile.android#17989

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:47:28 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 06:47 UTC

Am 26.07.21 um 02:55 schrieb RonTheGuy:
> On Jul 25, 2021, Joerg Lorenz wrote
> (in article<news:sdklql$lae$2@dont-email.me>):
>> Nobody cares about such an ugly old car.
>
> This brings up whether the newer car's with OnStar can have it turned off?

Order your car dealer to do exactely that or let an independent expert
for car electronics to disconnect OnStar.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

computers / comp.mobile.android / First known case of FBI spying on vehicular Wi-Fi