From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: International Day of Education (24 January)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:03:24 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:03 UTC

(Snooze...) Sorry! Overslept and missed it.
Crystal does make the point that linguistics (or at least "knowledge
about language" in some organized form) is still missing from most
school curricula. It would be a good thing to have.

Re: International Day of Education (24 January)

<87jznwtey6.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=17985&group=sci.lang#17985

From: keh...@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: International Day of Education (24 January)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:13:53 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:13 UTC

Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí Eanair, scríobh Ross Clark:

> (Snooze...) Sorry! Overslept and missed it.
> Crystal does make the point that linguistics (or at least "knowledge about
> language" in some organized form) is still missing from most school
> curricula. It would be a good thing to have.

Teaching second languages almost always involves knowledge about language in
some organised form, and indeed in my jurisdiction it tends to be the only way
schoolchildren get any formal insight into English grammar.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’