From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Hannah More born (2-2-1745)
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 22:28:56 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:28 UTC

An original Bluestocking.

(I learn: The term originally referred to the informal dress of _men_
who attended these literary salons. White stockings were appropriate for
formal occasions.)

She wrote poetry and plays, many on religious subjects. She was
associated with the early anti-slavery movement, but generally quite
conservative.

"In London, More sought to associate with the literary elite, including
Samuel Johnson, Joshua Reynolds and Edmund Burke. Johnson is quoted as
scolding her: "Madam, before you flatter a man so grossly to his face,
you should consider whether or not your flattery is worth having." He
would later be quoted as calling her "the finest versifatrix in the
English language"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_More

No, no, Wiki, the word is "versificatrix"!
Johnson's (reported) use of this word is _still_ the single attested
usage in the OED.

Re: Hannah More born (2-2-1745)

<upresj$e8oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18026&group=sci.lang#18026

From: HenHa...@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Hannah More born (2-2-1745)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 12:02:26 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:02 UTC

On 2/3/2024 1:28 AM, Ross Clark wrote:
> An original Bluestocking.
>
> (I learn: The term originally referred to the informal dress of _men_
> who attended these literary salons. White stockings were appropriate for
> formal occasions.)
>
> She wrote poetry and plays, many on religious subjects. She was
> associated with the early anti-slavery movement, but generally quite
> conservative.
>
> "In London, More sought to associate with the literary elite, including
> Samuel Johnson, Joshua Reynolds and Edmund Burke. Johnson is quoted as
> scolding her: "Madam, before you flatter a man so grossly to his face,
> you should consider whether or not your flattery is worth having." He
> would later be quoted as calling her "the finest versifatrix in the
> English language"."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_More
>
> No, no, Wiki, the word is "versificatrix"!
> Johnson's (reported) use of this word is _still_ the single attested
> usage in the OED.

Feb 2 --- James Joyce born

and Poe was born in January (iirc)