E Pluribus Unix

computers / comp.mobile.android / Setting individual app notifications?

SubjectAuthor
* Setting individual app notifications?jetjock
+* Re: Setting individual app notifications?paul
|`- Re: Setting individual app notifications?jetjock
`* Re: Setting individual app notifications?Carlos E. R.
 `* Re: Setting individual app notifications?paul
  `* Re: Setting individual app notifications?jetjock
   `* Re: Setting individual app notifications?-Solvedjetjock
    `- Re: Setting individual app notifications?-SolvedJohn

1
Setting individual app notifications?

<no38gg549hm6kddrk0mboc971m311tha81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18090&group=comp.mobile.android#18090

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Setting individual app notifications?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 09:49:07 -0500
 by: jetjock - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 14:49 UTC

I'm on Android 10 on my Galaxy S9+. When I installed K-9 email app
I was able to set different notification sounds for it and new
messages. I don't know if a version update eliminated this option or
I just can't find it anymore in the labyrinth of settings. When I go
to "Sounds and vibration" in settings, I only find default sounds for
the phone. Can anyone tell me where I can change my mail notification
sound for K-9?

Re: Setting individual app notifications?

<se19c8$1s9l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18093&group=comp.mobile.android#18093

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Setting individual app notifications?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:29:11 +0200
 by: paul - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:29 UTC

jetjock wrote on 30.07.2021 16:49
> Can anyone tell me where I can change my mail notification
> sound for K-9?

I searched for existing answers setting Android 10 app notifications.

*K-9 Home / Documentation / Notifications / Settings / Sounds
<https://k9mail.app/documentation/notifications.html>

*Can you make custom notification sounds using K9 mail client?*
<https://androidforums.com/threads/can-you-make-custom-notification-sounds-using-k9-mail-client.158499/>

*Control notifications on Android*
<https://support.google.com/android/answer/9079661?hl=en>

*Trick to Use Different Notification Sound For All Apps on Android*
<https://gadgetstouse.com/blog/2021/02/03/how-to-change-notification-sounds-on-android-phone/>

*How to Set Dif�fer�ent Noti�fi�ca�tions Sounds for Dif�fer�ent Apps*
<https://www.guidingtech.com/set-different-notifications-sounds-for-different-apps-android-phones/>

*How to Change Android Notification Sounds*
<https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-create-android-notification-sounds-4783114>

*How To Set Different Notification Sounds Per App On Android*
<https://www.techuntold.com/set-different-notification-sounds-different-apps-android/>

*How to set notification sounds for individual apps*
<https://www.techbone.net/samsung/user-manual/notification-sounds-for-individual-apps>

*set notification sounds to different apps?*
<https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus-2019/1008274-set-notification-sounds-different-apps.html>

*Was the ability to set notification sounds for individual apps removed in Android 10*
<https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/jhbw9x/was_the_ability_to_set_notification_sounds_for/>
--
Purposefully helpful people assist others out of the goodness of their
heart.

Re: Setting individual app notifications?

<sqpdthxbou.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18095&group=comp.mobile.android#18095

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:34:52 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:34 UTC

On 30/07/2021 16.49, jetjock wrote:
> I'm on Android 10 on my Galaxy S9+. When I installed K-9 email app
> I was able to set different notification sounds for it and new
> messages. I don't know if a version update eliminated this option or
> I just can't find it anymore in the labyrinth of settings. When I go
> to "Sounds and vibration" in settings, I only find default sounds for
> the phone. Can anyone tell me where I can change my mail notification
> sound for K-9?

K-9 underwent a major update this week. Not visible in the version
number, but in the release notes. Many features removed, other added or
changed.

Even the widget was gone, I had to manually add it again.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Setting individual app notifications?

<se1dq2$397$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18096&group=comp.mobile.android#18096

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:44:49 +0200
 by: paul - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:44 UTC

Carlos E. R. wrote on 30.07.2021 19:34
> K-9 underwent a major update this week.

I skimmed the release notes for any explicit changes to notifications,
but unfortunately, I didn't see any mention of what the OP is asking about.
<https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases>

I also skimmed a bit in the news to see if they mention notification changes.
*K-9 Mail gets an update with tons of new features*
<https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/25/after-3-years-of-betas-k-9-mail-gets-an-update-with-tons-of-new-features/>

Mainly what I see are these...
Major redesign of the user interface
Changed periodic background sync and push implementations to work much more reliably
Deprecated support for the WebDAV protocol; new accounts can no longer be added
K-9 Mail now requires Android 5.0 and newer
Added support for Autocrypt setup message
Added support for encrypted subjects
Don't use default signature when setting up a new account
Allow installation on external media (Android 6+ with adopted storage)
Removed keyboard shortcuts for menu items; on some devices they conflicted with system shortcuts
Removed the broken option to store the message database on external storage
Removed the 'remote control' interface third-party apps could use to change some settings in K-9 Mail
A lot of other bug fixes, internal changes, and improvements

I even checked the FAQ to see if notifications were covered.
<https://k9mail.app/documentation/faq.html>

However this forum thread mentions changes to notifications.
<https://forum.k9mail.app/t/k-9-mail-is-back-5-800-release/1164>
"the apk from github won't give notifications and is a manual
process even more cumbersome than fdroid."

"I've only been using it 10 minutes and already found two highly
undesirable features - the action bar being at the top of the
screen and permanent notification when configured for push notifications."

etc.

Re: Setting individual app notifications?

<n6uaggtgrau3icsudtsvasmurk3cuv7n2i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18105&group=comp.mobile.android#18105

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:54:25 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:54 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:29:11 +0200, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>jetjock wrote on 30.07.2021 16:49
>> Can anyone tell me where I can change my mail notification
>> sound for K-9?
>
>I searched for existing answers setting Android 10 app notifications.
>
> *K-9 Home / Documentation / Notifications / Settings / Sounds
> <https://k9mail.app/documentation/notifications.html>

There is no place under "Settings" above that shows "Sounds", only
stuff about "Quiet Time" and a check box to "Disable notifications".

> *Can you make custom notification sounds using K9 mail client?*
> <https://androidforums.com/threads/can-you-make-custom-notification-sounds-using-k9-mail-client.158499/>

My phone does not have any place under "notifications" in the above to
set sounds. There are just a bunch of On-Off switches.

> *Control notifications on Android*
> <https://support.google.com/android/answer/9079661?hl=en>
>
> *Trick to Use Different Notification Sound For All Apps on Android*
> <https://gadgetstouse.com/blog/2021/02/03/how-to-change-notification-sounds-on-android-phone/>
>
> *How to Set Dif­fer­ent Noti­fi­ca­tions Sounds for Dif­fer­ent Apps*
> <https://www.guidingtech.com/set-different-notifications-sounds-for-different-apps-android-phones/>
>
> *How to Change Android Notification Sounds*
> <https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-create-android-notification-sounds-4783114>
>
> *How To Set Different Notification Sounds Per App On Android*
> <https://www.techuntold.com/set-different-notification-sounds-different-apps-android/>
>
> *How to set notification sounds for individual apps*
> <https://www.techbone.net/samsung/user-manual/notification-sounds-for-individual-apps>
>
> *set notification sounds to different apps?*
> <https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus-2019/1008274-set-notification-sounds-different-apps.html>
>
> *Was the ability to set notification sounds for individual apps removed in Android 10*
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/jhbw9x/was_the_ability_to_set_notification_sounds_for/>

In the interest of time, I have tried every way I can, using the
above tips to access sounds, and there simply is not any place on my
phone to set different sounds anymore. There used to be ways to set a
different sound for different apps because I had one for mail (K-9)
and one for messages. Now there is only a place under "Sounds and
vibrations" to set a "Ringtone", Notification sound" and System sound"
and change the volume.

All the tips above reference "Apps and Notifications" and "Advanced"
for settings. My phone has three different settings; one for "Apps",
one for "Notifications" and one for "Sounds and vibrations", and none
has an "Advanced" setting.

Maybe it's just AT&T phones that are borked? Or possible just mine?

Re: Setting individual app notifications?

<or6bggll8djsvp9l0vctt6tdjs6idomtok@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18115&group=comp.mobile.android#18115

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:02:46 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:02 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:44:49 +0200, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Carlos E. R. wrote on 30.07.2021 19:34
>> K-9 underwent a major update this week.
>
>I skimmed the release notes for any explicit changes to notifications,
>but unfortunately, I didn't see any mention of what the OP is asking about.
> <https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases>
>
>I also skimmed a bit in the news to see if they mention notification changes.
> *K-9 Mail gets an update with tons of new features*
> <https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/25/after-3-years-of-betas-k-9-mail-gets-an-update-with-tons-of-new-features/>
>
>Mainly what I see are these...
> Major redesign of the user interface
> Changed periodic background sync and push implementations to work much more reliably
> Deprecated support for the WebDAV protocol; new accounts can no longer be added
> K-9 Mail now requires Android 5.0 and newer
> Added support for Autocrypt setup message
> Added support for encrypted subjects
> Don't use default signature when setting up a new account
> Allow installation on external media (Android 6+ with adopted storage)
> Removed keyboard shortcuts for menu items; on some devices they conflicted with system shortcuts
> Removed the broken option to store the message database on external storage
> Removed the 'remote control' interface third-party apps could use to change some settings in K-9 Mail
> A lot of other bug fixes, internal changes, and improvements
>
>I even checked the FAQ to see if notifications were covered.
><https://k9mail.app/documentation/faq.html>
>
>However this forum thread mentions changes to notifications.
><https://forum.k9mail.app/t/k-9-mail-is-back-5-800-release/1164>
> "the apk from github won't give notifications and is a manual
> process even more cumbersome than fdroid."
>
> "I've only been using it 10 minutes and already found two highly
> undesirable features - the action bar being at the top of the
> screen and permanent notification when configured for push notifications."
>
>etc.

I've been playing with the app for awhile now and finally figured out
how to manually check mail since they did away with the little open
circle at the bottom of the screen (swipe down), but I still can't
find any "Sound" setting. I just turned off notifications entirely
for K-9 for now. Will check out their forum. For some reason I never
think about them (forums) until someone reminds me they looked there!

Thanks to all!

Re: Setting individual app notifications?-Solved

<52abgg5k4psjjcuags2f23caik6nql0b9o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18122&group=comp.mobile.android#18122

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Setting individual app notifications?-Solved
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:50:51 -0500
 by: jetjock - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:50 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:02:46 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:44:49 +0200, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Carlos E. R. wrote on 30.07.2021 19:34
>>> K-9 underwent a major update this week.
>>
>>I skimmed the release notes for any explicit changes to notifications,
>>but unfortunately, I didn't see any mention of what the OP is asking about.
>> <https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases>
>>
>>I also skimmed a bit in the news to see if they mention notification changes.
>> *K-9 Mail gets an update with tons of new features*
>> <https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/25/after-3-years-of-betas-k-9-mail-gets-an-update-with-tons-of-new-features/>
>>
>>Mainly what I see are these...
>> Major redesign of the user interface
>> Changed periodic background sync and push implementations to work much more reliably
>> Deprecated support for the WebDAV protocol; new accounts can no longer be added
>> K-9 Mail now requires Android 5.0 and newer
>> Added support for Autocrypt setup message
>> Added support for encrypted subjects
>> Don't use default signature when setting up a new account
>> Allow installation on external media (Android 6+ with adopted storage)
>> Removed keyboard shortcuts for menu items; on some devices they conflicted with system shortcuts
>> Removed the broken option to store the message database on external storage
>> Removed the 'remote control' interface third-party apps could use to change some settings in K-9 Mail
>> A lot of other bug fixes, internal changes, and improvements
>>
>>I even checked the FAQ to see if notifications were covered.
>><https://k9mail.app/documentation/faq.html>
>>
>>However this forum thread mentions changes to notifications.
>><https://forum.k9mail.app/t/k-9-mail-is-back-5-800-release/1164>
>> "the apk from github won't give notifications and is a manual
>> process even more cumbersome than fdroid."
>>
>> "I've only been using it 10 minutes and already found two highly
>> undesirable features - the action bar being at the top of the
>> screen and permanent notification when configured for push notifications."
>>
>>etc.
>
>I've been playing with the app for awhile now and finally figured out
>how to manually check mail since they did away with the little open
>circle at the bottom of the screen (swipe down), but I still can't
>find any "Sound" setting. I just turned off notifications entirely
>for K-9 for now. Will check out their forum. For some reason I never
>think about them (forums) until someone reminds me they looked there!
>
>Thanks to all!

I FINALLY found it. Went to forums and searched for sound and found
an answer that said to do a looooong push on the Message tab for the
account under notification settings. Once I held it down long enough,
the sound setting page popped up when I let go.

Thanks again to all who answered.

Re: Setting individual app notifications?-Solved

<se6lst$nr4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18144&group=comp.mobile.android#18144

From: joh...@nospam.invalid (John)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:33:32 +0200
 by: John - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 17:33 UTC

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:50:51 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>>>Carlos E. R. wrote on 30.07.2021 19:34
>>>
>>>I skimmed the release notes for any explicit changes to notifications,
>>>but unfortunately, I didn't see any mention of what the OP is asking about.
>>> <https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases>
>>>
>>>I also skimmed a bit in the news to see if they mention notification changes.
>>> *K-9 Mail gets an update with tons of new features*
>>> <https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/07/25/after-3-years-of-betas-k-9-mail-gets-an-update-with-tons-of-new-features/>
>>>
>>>Mainly what I see are these...
>>> Major redesign of the user interface
>>> Changed periodic background sync and push implementations to work much more reliably
>>> Deprecated support for the WebDAV protocol; new accounts can no longer be added
>>> K-9 Mail now requires Android 5.0 and newer
>>> Added support for Autocrypt setup message
>>> Added support for encrypted subjects
>>> Don't use default signature when setting up a new account
>>> Allow installation on external media (Android 6+ with adopted storage)
>>> Removed keyboard shortcuts for menu items; on some devices they conflicted with system shortcuts
>>> Removed the broken option to store the message database on external storage
>>> Removed the 'remote control' interface third-party apps could use to change some settings in K-9 Mail
>>> A lot of other bug fixes, internal changes, and improvements
>>>
>>>I even checked the FAQ to see if notifications were covered.
>>><https://k9mail.app/documentation/faq.html>
>>>
>>>However this forum thread mentions changes to notifications.
>>><https://forum.k9mail.app/t/k-9-mail-is-back-5-800-release/1164>
>>> "the apk from github won't give notifications and is a manual
>>> process even more cumbersome than fdroid."
>>>
>>> "I've only been using it 10 minutes and already found two highly
>>> undesirable features - the action bar being at the top of the
>>> screen and permanent notification when configured for push notifications."
>>>
>>>etc.
>>
>>I've been playing with the app for awhile now and finally figured out
>>how to manually check mail since they did away with the little open
>>circle at the bottom of the screen (swipe down), but I still can't
>>find any "Sound" setting. I just turned off notifications entirely
>>for K-9 for now. Will check out their forum. For some reason I never
>>think about them (forums) until someone reminds me they looked there!
>>
>>Thanks to all!
>
> I FINALLY found it. Went to forums and searched for sound and found
> an answer that said to do a looooong push on the Message tab for the
> account under notification settings. Once I held it down long enough,
> the sound setting page popped up when I let go.
>
> Thanks again to all who answered.

cool!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Setting individual app notifications?