From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: PA = the drunk looking for their lost keys under the lamppost
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:42:37 +0100
 by: Pandora - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:42 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 04:59:06 -0800 (PST), Marc Verhaegen
<m_verhaegen@skynet.be> wrote:

>Bernard Wood: “Paleoanthropologists are like the drunk looking for their lost keys under the lamppost”.
>
>:-D

The context of that quote is here:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2017.06.052

Re: PA = the drunk looking for their lost keys under the lamppost

<cqjemihubjjnph3070pqkqe5c6l9elt8oi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18126&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18126

From: pand...@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:48:48 +0100
 by: Pandora - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:48 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:42:37 +0100, Pandora <pandora@knoware.nl>
wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 04:59:06 -0800 (PST), Marc Verhaegen
><m_verhaegen@skynet.be> wrote:
>
>>Bernard Wood: “Paleoanthropologists are like the drunk looking for their lost keys under the lamppost”.
>>
>>:-D
>
>The context of that quote is here:
>https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2017.06.052

See also:

Homo heterogenus: Variability in early Pleistocene Homo environments

Abstract

To understand the ecological dominance of Homo sapiens, we need to
investigate the origins of the plasticity that has enabled our
colonization of the planet. We can approach this by exploring the
variability of habitats to which different hominin populations have
adapted over time. In this article, we draw upon and synthesize the
current research on habitats of genus Homo during the early
Pleistocene. We examined 121 published environmental reconstructions
from 74 early Pleistocene sites or site phases to assess the balance
of arguments in the research community. We found that, while
grasslands and savannahs were prominent features of Homo habitats in
the early Pleistocene, current research does not place early
Pleistocene Homo, in any single environmental type, but in a wide
variety of environments, ranging from open grasslands to forests. Our
analysis also suggests that the first known dispersal of Homo out of
Africa was accompanied by niche expansion.
https://doi.org/10.1002/evan.22005