From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: What happens to real aquatic mammals
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 22:10:33 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 05:10 UTC

If not attacked and killed or whatever, they drown.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dying-orcas-final-moments-desperate-143536714.html

Dying orca's final moments after 'desperate' effort
to stay afloat captured in 1st of its kind footage

Whale-watchers spotted an orca (Orcinus orca) — a
roughly 35-year-old male known to researchers as
Hunchy after his hunched back — behaving strangely
in waters north of the island of Loppa in Norway
on Nov. 6. Two younger orcas huddled close to
Hunchy, seemingly holding him at the surface so he
could breathe, Pierre Robert de Latour, the author
of "Frère des Orques" (Glénat, 2019) who has been
diving with orcas in Norway for over 20 years and
was on the whale-watching expedition, told Live
Science.

The attempt to keep Hunchy afloat seemed "desperate,"
Robert de Latour said, adding that "it was obvious
that he was in trouble."

Robert de Latour got into the water and snorkeled up
to the orcas to take a closer look. He noticed the
old male looked skinny, and the shape of his belly
suggested he hadn't eaten for a long time.

The footage shows Hunchy floating motionless just
below the ocean surface after the two younger orcas
left the scene. The young pair swam back and forth
between Hunchy and a group of orcas further away,
Robert de Latour said, repeatedly trying to
"activate" the old male.

The young orcas realized that if they left Hunchy,
he would sink to his death, he added. (Orcas can
stay submerged for up to 15 minutes, but they
usually come to the surface to breathe every
minute when resting, and every three to five
minutes when traveling.)

But after 50 minutes, they seemingly gave up. "They
were helping him until the very last moment,"
Robert de Latour said.

Re: What happens to real aquatic mammals

<ul68fd$32blc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18153&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#18153

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Re: What happens to real aquatic mammals
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:59:09 -0700
 by: Primum Sapienti - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 05:59 UTC

Marc Verhaegen wrote:> Op vrijdag 1 december 2023 om 06:10:38 UTC+1 schreef
Primum Sapienti:
>> If not attacked and killed or whatever, they drown.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dying-orcas-final-moments-desperate-143536714.html

> Thanks a lot, my boy, this perfectly confirms how H.erectus evolved (not
like orcas :-DDD):
> independent indications Indonesian H.erectus were semi-aquatic
early-Pleist.:
> Archaic Homo's atypical tooth-wear was caused by "sand & oral processing
of marine mollusks" Towle cs 2022 Am.J.biol.Anthr.
> H.erectus s.s. fossilised amid barnacles + corals (Mojokerto) & amid
edible shellfish Pseudodon + Elongaria (Trinil),
> Stephen Munro discovered sea-shell engravings made by H.erectus,
Joordens cs 2015 Nature 518:228–231
irrigation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5696936/
> Pachy-osteo-sclerosis = slow+shallow-diving (de Buffrénil cs 2010
J.Mamm.Evol.17:101-120): erectus’ parietal bone is 2x as thick as in gorillas.
> Brain size in erectus (2x apes=apiths) is facilitated by aquatic foods,
e.g. DHA cf. Odontocetes, Pinnipedia, Enhydra.
> Platycephaly in erectus/neand.: long, flat, dorsally-shifted
brain-skull: hydrodynamics, google e.g. "GondwanaTalks Verhaegen English"
https://www.academia.edu/36193382/Coastal_Dispersal_of_Pleistocene_Homo_2018
> Homo’s stone tool use & dexterity is typical for molluscivores, e.g.
sea-otters -- etc.etc.

An orca is completely adapted to an aquatic life and STILL drowns.

Hominids would drown even quicker...

> Only *incredible* imbeciles believe their ancestors ran after
antelopes... :-DDD

Only complete morons think we have snorkel noses