I've looked at the listing, and it's right! -- Joel Halpern

tech / sci.lang / Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)

SubjectAuthor
* National Proofreading Day (8 March)Ross Clark
+* Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)Aidan Kehoe
|`* Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)Christian Weisgerber
| `- Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)HenHanna
`- Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)Antonio Marques

1
National Proofreading Day (8 March)

<useqoj$1l88j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18254&group=sci.lang#18254

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: National Proofreading Day (8 March)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:54:05 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:54 UTC

Somewhere there are probably figures on this, but my impression is that
during the present century people have been inventing new "National ___
Day"s at an alarming rate.

The present one was initiated in 2012 by "corporate trainer Judy Beaver.
She chose it because it was her mother's birthday, and she wanted to
honour a lady who was evidently a stickler for correctness in written
expression." (I'm not making any of this up, and I don't think Crystal is.)

The only other moment of fun is a mention of the "Wicked Bible" (1631),
one of a number of early KJV editions named for amusing printing errors.
This one apparently included among the Ten Commandments: "Thou shalt
commit adultery".

Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)

<87ttlg903m.fsf@parhasard.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18256&group=sci.lang#18256

From: keh...@parhasard.net (Aidan Kehoe)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 16:09:33 +0000
 by: Aidan Kehoe - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:09 UTC

Ar an t-ochtú lá de mí Márta, scríobh Ross Clark:

> Somewhere there are probably figures on this, but my impression is that
> during the present century people have been inventing new "National ___
> Day"s at an alarming rate.
>
> The present one was initiated in 2012 by "corporate trainer Judy Beaver. She
> chose it because it was her mother's birthday, and she wanted to honour a
> lady who was evidently a stickler for correctness in written expression."
> (I'm not making any of this up, and I don't think Crystal is.)

Well, the book needed filler! Maybe this was a collaboration between Crystal
and Beaver in anticipation of the book.

> The only other moment of fun is a mention of the "Wicked Bible" (1631), one
> of a number of early KJV editions named for amusing printing errors. This
> one apparently included among the Ten Commandments: "Thou shalt commit
> adultery".

A love of following rules for the sake of following rules has been a
comparative advantage on the labour market (in proof-reading as in other
things) for hundreds of years now. Of course there is no longer any
evolutionary (reproductive) advantage to earning more money, but I wonder if
before wide-spread contraception there was some measure selection pressure on
this.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’

Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)

<usg2ej$1u8hc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18258&group=sci.lang#18258

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Antonio Marques)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:11:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2i7h17Y6jCHFjbURrca8Ly4A7VY=
 by: Antonio Marques - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:11 UTC

Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> Somewhere there are probably figures on this, but my impression is that
> during the present century people have been inventing new "National ___
> Day"s at an alarming rate.
>
> The present one was initiated in 2012 by "corporate trainer Judy Beaver.
> She chose it because it was her mother's birthday, and she wanted to
> honour a lady who was evidently a stickler for correctness in written
> expression." (I'm not making any of this up, and I don't think Crystal is.)
>
> The only other moment of fun is a mention of the "Wicked Bible" (1631),
> one of a number of early KJV editions named for amusing printing errors.
> This one apparently included among the Ten Commandments: "Thou shalt
> commit adultery".

That's probably why so many people insist that only their own original KJV
is the right bible.

Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)

<slrnuupjbb.3073.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18261&group=sci.lang#18261

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:58:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:58 UTC

On 2024-03-08, Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> wrote:

> Of course there is no longer any evolutionary (reproductive)
> advantage to earning more money, but I wonder if before wide-spread
> contraception there was some measure selection pressure on this.

I vaguely remember that Swedish birth records from the 19th century
show that rich women had more children. Sorry, I can't cite a
source. (I may have read it in PLoS Biology or Medicine.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: National Proofreading Day (8 March)

<78ae759fed7034acfe63e9473c8b4916@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18265&group=sci.lang#18265

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:28:46 +0000
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:28 UTC

-------- also, Economists and Psychologists. ...Effect, etc. (Fundamental Attribution Error)

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> On 2024-03-08, Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> wrote:

>> Of course there is no longer any evolutionary (reproductive)
>> advantage to earning more money, but I wonder if before wide-spread
>> contraception there was some measure selection pressure on this.

> I vaguely remember that Swedish birth records from the 19th century
> show that rich women had more children. Sorry, I can't cite a
> source. (I may have read it in PLoS Biology or Medicine.)

Country Birth Rate (CIA Factbook) ------ the LOWEST are:
South Korea 6.95
Italy 7
Spain 7.12
Taiwan 7.33

The lowest rate in 2022 was reported from Finland, 1.32 children. This is also the lowest Finnish birth rate since monitoring started in the year 1776

----------- Finland makes an interesting case with regard to fertility for two puzzling reasons. Firstly, fertility is declining in a country known for its high degree of gender equality and extensive policies to support reconciliation between work and family life, both of which have been theorized to support fertility.

nothing puzzling about it... Bach had 20 children, at the time of K K K (Kinder, Küche, Kirche)