If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: RNC 1773

SubjectAuthor
* RNC 1773INFOHOU
+* Re: RNC 1773INFOHOU
|`* Re: RNC 1773geoff
| `* Re: RNC 1773INFOHOU
|  `- Re: RNC 1773Ty Ford
`* Re: RNC 1773Scott Dorsey
 `- Re: RNC 1773INFOHOU

1
RNC 1773

<HeSdnX5sFuW_HUT_nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1820&group=rec.audio.pro#1820

From: info...@notgonnatellya.com (INFOHOU)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: RNC 1773
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:34:42 -0500
 by: INFOHOU - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 16:34 UTC

Hello Folks,

I have one of these coming hopefully Saturday.

Years ago some folks in this group were fans of the unit, particularly in
terms of bang for the buck.

I am wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere or tips and tricks. Maybe
undocumented configs? Things to look for?

I am going to first use it as a mix buss compressor, but may use for recording
insturments or vocals to analog tape.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: RNC 1773

<fNSdnWy_Cee-IED_nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1821&group=rec.audio.pro#1821

From: info...@notgonnatellya.com (INFOHOU)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: RNC 1773
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:44:03 -0500
 by: INFOHOU - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 21:44 UTC

On Jul 21, 2022 at 11:34:42 CDT, "INFOHOU" <infohou@notgonnatellya.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I have one of these coming hopefully Saturday.
>
> Years ago some folks in this group were fans of the unit, particularly in
> terms of bang for the buck.
>
> I am wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere or tips and tricks. Maybe
> undocumented configs? Things to look for?
>
> I am going to first use it as a mix buss compressor, but may use for recording
> insturments or vocals to analog tape.
>
> ––––––––––––––––––––––––

I am finding the Really Nice mode quite transparent. I have it on the master
buss insert of my desktop mixer(Soundcraft EPM8).

So, you folks don't have any thing to say about it?

Take it EZ,
Robert

Re: RNC 1773

<OeWdnfo5PM-NVkD_nZ2dnUU7-eOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1822&group=rec.audio.pro#1822

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:43:26 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 22:43 UTC

On 25/07/2022 9:44 am, INFOHOU wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2022 at 11:34:42 CDT, "INFOHOU" <infohou@notgonnatellya.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> I have one of these coming hopefully Saturday.
>>
>> Years ago some folks in this group were fans of the unit, particularly in
>> terms of bang for the buck.
>>
>> I am wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere or tips and tricks. Maybe
>> undocumented configs? Things to look for?
>>
>> I am going to first use it as a mix buss compressor, but may use for recording
>> insturments or vocals to analog tape.
>>
>> ––––––––––––––––––––––––
>
> I am finding the Really Nice mode quite transparent. I have it on the master
> buss insert of my desktop mixer(Soundcraft EPM8).
>
> So, you folks don't have any thing to say about it?
>
> Take it EZ,
> Robert

You already said it !

geoff

Re: RNC 1773

<HsSdnQ8l1c_q3UP_nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1823&group=rec.audio.pro#1823

From: info...@notgonnatellya.com (INFOHOU)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 02:04:23 -0500
 by: INFOHOU - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 07:04 UTC

On Jul 24, 2022 at 17:43:26 CDT, "geoff" <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org> wrote:

> On 25/07/2022 9:44 am, INFOHOU wrote:
>>
>> Robert
>
> You already said it !
>
> geoff
–––––––––––––––-

Ha,

Thanks Geoff, but I was hoping for some tricks and tips, or maybe some
settings that worked for folks in specific situations. I am thinking it might
be good for vocals, particularly on the inexperienced non pros I want to
record.

Y'all take care,
Robert

Re: RNC 1773

<636d80fc-29a2-4df5-bbce-b92f4222424an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1824&group=rec.audio.pro#1824

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: tyre3ef...@gmail.com (Ty Ford)
 by: Ty Ford - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:29 UTC

Try this!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=24054b265b5e445d683ffb54348e5e3f&t=202692&page=2

Regards,

Ty Ford

Re: RNC 1773

<tchclt$m2n$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1831&group=rec.audio.pro#1831

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 4 Aug 2022 21:11:25 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 21:11 UTC

INFOHOU <infohou@notgonnatellya.com> wrote:
>Hello Folks,
>
>I have one of these coming hopefully Saturday.
>
>Years ago some folks in this group were fans of the unit, particularly in
>terms of bang for the buck.
>
>I am wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere or tips and tricks. Maybe
>undocumented configs? Things to look for?

Nothing undocumented, it's a very very simple thing. It's just a standard
variable-gain amplifier stage with low distortion, pretty much an off the
shelf circuit used by lots of other people. What makes it different than
other compressors is that the control signal for the gain cell is generated
by a very simple and slow microcontroller which can do more sophisticated
things than just peak and average following. But you don't get to see that,
you just get to select the mode and let it go.

On signals that are mostly low-frequency content it can have some issues,
especially in super-nice mode. It wouldn't be my first choice for a bass
channel. But as an overall program compressor on the 2-buss it is hard to
beat.

If it would stay in Super-Nice mode after being power-cycled I'd recommend
it as a broadcast compressor, but losing settings when the power goes out
is a dealbreaker in unattended applications like that.

>I am going to first use it as a mix buss compressor, but may use for recording
>insturments or vocals to analog tape.

Let us know how you like it.
--scott

Re: RNC 1773

<Op-cncc5g_ENnmD_nZ2dnZfqn_vNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1833&group=rec.audio.pro#1833

From: info...@notgonnatellya.com (INFOHOU)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:04:48 +0000
 by: INFOHOU - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:04 UTC

On Aug 4, 2022 at 16:11:25 CDT, "Scott Dorsey" <Scott Dorsey> wrote:
> Nothing undocumented, it's a very very simple thing. It's just a standard
> variable-gain amplifier stage with low distortion, pretty much an off the
> shelf circuit used by lots of other people. What makes it different than
> other compressors is that the control signal for the gain cell is generated
> by a very simple and slow microcontroller which can do more sophisticated
> things than just peak and average following. But you don't get to see that,
> you just get to select the mode and let it go.
>
> On signals that are mostly low-frequency content it can have some issues,
> especially in super-nice mode. It wouldn't be my first choice for a bass
> channel. But as an overall program compressor on the 2-buss it is hard to
> beat.
>
> If it would stay in Super-Nice mode after being power-cycled I'd recommend
> it as a broadcast compressor, but losing settings when the power goes out
> is a dealbreaker in unattended applications like that.
>
>> I am going to first use it as a mix buss compressor, but may use for recording
>> insturments or vocals to analog tape.
>
> Let us know how you like it.

Thanks for that. Still just using it for playback for now, but I like it very
much.

Y'all take care,
Robert