MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it. -- from Lars Wirzenius' .sig

tech / sci.lang / Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uMikko
+* Re: Analytical truth redefinedStefan Ram
|+* Re: Analytical truth redefinedMikko
||`* Re: Analytical truth redefinedStefan Ram
|| `* Re: Analytical truth redefinedMikko
||  `- Re: Analytical truth redefinedStefan Ram
|`* Re: Analytical truth redefinedolcott
| `- Re: Analytical truth redefinedRichard Damon
+* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
|`* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
| `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
|  `- Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uolcott
`* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uolcott
 `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uolcott
  +* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |`* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  | `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |  `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |   `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |    `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |     `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uKeith Thompson
  |      `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  |       `* Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uKeith Thompson
  |        `- Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uRoss Finlayson
  `- Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are uolcott

1
Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<ut954l$4epn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18314&group=sci.lang#18314

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: sci.lang, comp.theory
Subject: Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:30:45 +0200
 by: Mikko - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:30 UTC

On 2021-03-27 14:54:31 +0000, olcott said:

> Most people construe the term "absolute truth" as necessarily coming
> from the mind of God, thus atheists reject absolute truth. Philosophy
> leaves religion out of it and says that analytical truth can be
> verified on the basis of its meaning.
>
> Because Quine had such a hard time understanding that bachelors are
> unmarried in his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" I have adapted the
> definition of analytical truth so that it can be more directly divided
> from other forms of truth:

It is a sin to say anything untrue about other people.

> (1) Expressions of language that are defined to be true and

Truth is not a matter of definition.

> (2) Expressions of language that have been derived on the basis of
> applying truth preserving operations.

Only affirmative sentences and only if derived from true sentences.

Note that the word "sentence" has different meanings in comp.thery
and sci.lang. In the former (and in sci.logic) it usually excludes
all but affirmative sentences.

--
Mikko

Re: Analytical truth redefined

<truth-20240318115016@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18315&group=sci.lang#18315

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Analytical truth redefined
Date: 18 Mar 2024 10:59:44 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:59 UTC

Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>Truth is not a matter of definition.

"Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.

Re: Analytical truth redefined

<ut9j0o$7bfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18317&group=sci.lang#18317

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:27:36 +0200
 by: Mikko - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:27 UTC

On 2024-03-18 10:59:44 +0000, Stefan Ram said:

> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>> Truth is not a matter of definition.
>
> "Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
> definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
> People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
> but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.

Definitions only tell which words we can use for the concept.
They do not tell what is true.

--
Mikko

Re: Analytical truth redefined

<true-20240318153952@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18318&group=sci.lang#18318

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: 18 Mar 2024 14:42:50 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:42 UTC

Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>On 2024-03-18 10:59:44 +0000, Stefan Ram said:
>>Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>>>Truth is not a matter of definition.
>>Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
>>definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
>>People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
>>but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.
>Definitions only tell which words we can use for the concept.
>They do not tell what is true.

To "tell what is true" is to give a definition of the meaning
of the word "true".

To "tell what is truth" is to give a definition of the meaning
of the word "truth".

Just look at the subject: It says, "Analytical truth redefined".
This clarifies that the thread is about definitions (including
redefinitions) of truth (more specifically, of "analytical truth").

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<M_ydnWHt9Pcm8WX4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18319&group=sci.lang#18319

Subject: Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that
bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.lang,comp.theory
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:33:01 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:33 UTC

On 03/18/2024 03:30 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2021-03-27 14:54:31 +0000, olcott said:
>
>> Most people construe the term "absolute truth" as necessarily coming
>> from the mind of God, thus atheists reject absolute truth. Philosophy
>> leaves religion out of it and says that analytical truth can be
>> verified on the basis of its meaning.
>>
>> Because Quine had such a hard time understanding that bachelors are
>> unmarried in his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" I have adapted the
>> definition of analytical truth so that it can be more directly divided
>> from other forms of truth:
>
> It is a sin to say anything untrue about other people.
>
>> (1) Expressions of language that are defined to be true and
>
> Truth is not a matter of definition.
>
>> (2) Expressions of language that have been derived on the basis of
>> applying truth preserving operations.
>
> Only affirmative sentences and only if derived from true sentences.
>
> Note that the word "sentence" has different meanings in comp.thery
> and sci.lang. In the former (and in sci.logic) it usually excludes
> all but affirmative sentences.

Nah, an idea of "absolute truth" can arrive from simply
considering a theory where there's a language that only
has truisms, a "Comenius language", then it results that
the Russell set is the same as the Liar sentence,
then that's only a prototype of a first fallacy or
contradiction, then that it provides both all the
cases for forward inference and a case for deductive
inference, at once, together.

So, the "metaphysics", of such a thing, and "true theory"
or "a theory of truth", has that it's purely a matter of
reason, then insofar as that both deists and non-deists
"we have a metaphysic, and, deism is super-scientific",
to exclude deism from scientism, while still making it
so that formally both deism and non-deism are irrelevant,
in "a least metaphysics", in a sort of Hegelian approach
and Aristotle would approve, as a Plato's ideal and for
Kant only the sublime Ding-an-Sich, only that much greater
and within itself, this way there can certainly be a theory,
at all, "A Theory", then not so much that we can know it,
but we can ascertain it and attain to it, and it is,
and it's true.

I sort of get into this in my podcasts under "Philosophical
Foreground" and some 10,000's posts on sci.logic and so on.

https youtube /@rossfinlayson

If this is an introduction to, "sci.lang", here the
notion is of "a Comenius language", which is a universe
of objects of the theory of language, all true, ...,
then according to comprehension, one excluded, ...,
"elementary primitives of ur-language",
for a course of axiomless natural deduction.

About the affirmative and negative, negatory, one idea
to consider is that the language actually starts with
all negatory, that just results a structure for affirmatory.

When I study English grammar I consider Curme,
and when I diagram its structure it's after Tesniere,
according to the most published book as for a literary
and deconstructive account for its technical content,
or the logico-philosophical, it basically establishes
a space from nothing then also introduces that in
the beginning that there was a word, for the
synthetic/analytic distinction, as a usual holistic
monism, a usual holistic dual monism, and that
technically there's a way to relate that to there
being a teleology and ontology not either void the other.

That's the point of my most recent podcasts,
re-connecting teleology and ontology, while
the idea of "a Comenius language a universe of
words", or statement, is about any old "A Theory",
at all, with regards to "truth" and "true".

Doesn't say what it is - just says that it is.

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<3jSdna9to9AsQWX4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18320&group=sci.lang#18320

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:30:48 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 00:30 UTC

On 03/18/2024 10:35 AM, olcott wrote:
> [...]
>>

>> When I study English grammar I consider Curme,
>> and when I diagram its structure it's after Tesniere,
>> according to the most published book as for a literary
>> and deconstructive account for its technical content,
>> or the logico-philosophical, it basically establishes
>> a space from nothing then also introduces that in
>> the beginning that there was a word, for the
>> synthetic/analytic distinction, as a usual holistic
>> monism, a usual holistic dual monism, and that
>> technically there's a way to relate that to there
>> being a teleology and ontology not either void the other.
>>
>> That's the point of my most recent podcasts,
>> re-connecting teleology and ontology, while
>> the idea of "a Comenius language a universe of
>> words", or statement, is about any old "A Theory",
>> at all, with regards to "truth" and "true".
>>

>> Doesn't say what it is - just says that it is.

I think what you got there is usually called
a "world", vis-a-vis the "domain of discourse",
vis-a-vis the "universe", and for univocity and
haeccity.

It's also sort of familiar as the usual "model",
when the "model" is just a bag-of-facts, vis-a-vis
when a "model" is somehow a structure and all its
relations in the logical, mathematical universe,
and then the properly logical after that what that
all models, sort of like a usual development in
"classical", logic, here what's called "classical
quasi-modal", logic, though that you say that
there's no Principle of Explosion and no Ex Falso
Quodlibet, then though whether you've actually
sorted that out with Aristotle's eudamon, or not.

The, "Russell set", is the "set of all sets that
don't contain themselves". It doesn't exist in
usual ordinary axiomatic set theory, because,
it's description contradicts itself, because
according to free comprehension, it does, and
doesn't contain itself.

So, "the ordinal of all ordinals, contains
lesser ordinals, contains itself", usually
sort of doesn't exist, and usually because
it's explicitly prohibited non-well-foundedness,
that transitively it would exhibit a counter-example.

Then, the Liar is pretty simple, "this sentence
is False", or, in a language of all truisms,
"one of these sentences is false", that it is
and isn't, it's one of the most usual things
that confounds and complicates Tertium Non Datur
the Principle or Law of Excluded Middle, in
terms of principles, rules, and laws.

The relevance logic is a key thing, because what
it says is that sentences that don't share relation
in terms, say nothing about each other, so, it
prohibits Ex Falso Quodlibet as usually extended
to claim "false antecendent" or "false consequent"
of "material implication", in usually "classical
quasi-modal logic", I'm a big fan of relevance logic,
because all logic can be done in it and "material
implication" is considered neither material nor implication.

So, if you need to interpret classical quasi-modal
logic, it's about a small world a bag-of-facts
that what it considers monotone and entailment, "is",
is a particular shallow non-contradiction-based-
on-contradiction, material implication. So,
interpreting that is made _contingent_ under
relevance logic, instead of erased and made,
"the unconscious", because, classical quasi-modal
logic, is neither modal nor temporal, it's just
a fragment of "real" entailment and the "real"
monotone of "all the relevant logic".

Then, here this notion of "Aristotle's and Maxwell's
daemons", one for information the other entropy,
help build out the complementary concepts,
the complementary duals, what get involved
in universals, the particulars.

So, it seems you have a sort of "quasi-modal quasi-modal",
logic, that you've added somewhere a stipulation
"don't follow POE" when your ground logic blindly does,
or rather, senselessly, when there's otherwise a usual
sort of approach to prefix any syllogism with all
what's contingent about the "quasi-modal", so then
that what sticks out is its "truth tables", with
regards to, "material implication", _aren't_,
instead what results, "quasi-truth tables of
classical quasi-modal logic". Thusly, those
aren't confused with, truth tables, which have
it so that they fulfill all of De Morgan's laws
of logic the deterministic, the causal, and
the directly implicative, specifically, the contrapositive.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Analytical truth redefined

<utbniv$oub7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18323&group=sci.lang#18323

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 11:57:50 +0200
 by: Mikko - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 09:57 UTC

On 2024-03-18 14:42:50 +0000, Stefan Ram said:

> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>>> Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
>>> definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
>>> People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
>>> but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.
>> Definitions only tell which words we can use for the concept.
>> They do not tell what is true.
>
> To "tell what is true" is to give a definition of the meaning
> of the word "true".
>
> To "tell what is truth" is to give a definition of the meaning
> of the word "truth".
>
> Just look at the subject: It says, "Analytical truth redefined".
> This clarifies that the thread is about definitions (including
> redefinitions) of truth (more specifically, of "analytical truth").

When I say "Sun is now shining here", I am telling what is true
but I am not saying anything about the meaning of "true".

--
Mikko

Re: Analytical truth redefined

<ok-20240319111712@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18324&group=sci.lang#18324

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Date: 19 Mar 2024 10:17:53 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:17 UTC

Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>When I say "Sun is now shining here", I am telling what is true
>but I am not saying anything about the meaning of "true".

Ah! Ok, that's also a possible interpretation of
"to tell what is true", i.e., "to tell something
true".

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<Youcnchw2LI7bWT4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18325&group=sci.lang#18325

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 13:07:56 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 20:07 UTC

<0BWdnQr0AezRYmT4nZ2dnZfqlJ8AAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18326&group=sci.lang#18326

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:10:36 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.lang,comp.theory,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:10 UTC

On 3/18/2024 5:59 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>> Truth is not a matter of definition.
>
> "Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
> definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
> People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
> but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.

I am redefining analytical truth such that it is entirely
comprised of expressions that are stipulated to be true
Facts, and expressions that are a necessary consequence of
these Facts.

--
Copyright 2024 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<0BWdnQv0Aez8Y2T4nZ2dnZfqlJ-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18327&group=sci.lang#18327

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:06:41 -0500
bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.lang
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:06 UTC

On 3/19/2024 3:07 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> On 03/18/2024 07:15 PM, olcott wrote:
>> On 3/18/2024 7:30 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

test of cross posting

--
Copyright 2024 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<0BWdnQX0AewCYmT4nZ2dnZfqlJ-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18328&group=sci.lang#18328

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:11:59 -0500
bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.lang,comp.theory,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:11 UTC

On 3/18/2024 5:30 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2021-03-27 14:54:31 +0000, olcott said:
>
>> Most people construe the term "absolute truth" as necessarily coming
>> from the mind of God, thus atheists reject absolute truth. Philosophy
>> leaves religion out of it and says that analytical truth can be
>> verified on the basis of its meaning.
>>
>> Because Quine had such a hard time understanding that bachelors are
>> unmarried in his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism" I have adapted the
>> definition of analytical truth so that it can be more directly divided
>> from other forms of truth:
>
> It is a sin to say anything untrue about other people.
>
>> (1) Expressions of language that are defined to be true and
>
> Truth is not a matter of definition.
>
>> (2) Expressions of language that have been derived on the basis of
>> applying truth preserving operations.
>
> Only affirmative sentences and only if derived from true sentences.
>
> Note that the word "sentence" has different meanings in comp.thery
> and sci.lang. In the former (and in sci.logic) it usually excludes
> all but affirmative sentences.

I am redefining analytical truth such that it is entirely
comprised of expressions that are stipulated to be true
Facts, and expressions that are a necessary consequence of
these Facts.

--
Copyright 2024 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<v2qdndqj8NDzRmf4nZ2dnZfqlJ-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18337&group=sci.lang#18337

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:49:50 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.lang,comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 12:49 UTC

On 3/20/2024 4:06 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-03-19 21:11:59 +0000, olcott said:

>>> It is a sin to say anything untrue about other people.

>>> Truth is not a matter of definition.

>>> Only affirmative sentences and only if derived from true sentences.
>>>
>>> Note that the word "sentence" has different meanings in comp.thery
>>> and sci.lang. In the former (and in sci.logic) it usually excludes
>>> all but affirmative sentences.
>>>

>> I am redefining analytical truth such that it is entirely
>> comprised of expressions that are stipulated to be true
>> Facts, and expressions that are a necessary consequence of
>> these Facts.
>
> By the proposed redefinition different sets of stipulations
> yield different analytical truths.

The stipulations are merely all of the Facts that comprise the
model of the actual world. When properly formalized in knowledge
ontology inheritance hierarchy this gives an AI mind the capability
of human reasoning.

--
Copyright 2024 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<Dqucnc9uQZmcbGf4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18338&group=sci.lang#18338

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.lang,comp.theory
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:21:45 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:21 UTC

On 03/20/2024 05:49 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 3/20/2024 4:06 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> I am redefining analytical truth such that it is entirely
>>> comprised of expressions that are stipulated to be true
>>> Facts, and expressions that are a necessary consequence of
>>> these Facts.
>>
>> By the proposed redefinition different sets of stipulations
>> yield different analytical truths.
>>

> The stipulations are merely all of the Facts that comprise the
> model of the actual world. When properly formalized in knowledge
> ontology inheritance hierarchy this gives an AI mind the capability
> of human reasoning.

Reasoning gets involved teleology and ontology,
the epistemology, with regards to all sorts
aspects the philosophy of being and reasoning,
then there's the empirical and what results
why today for "scientism", that logical positivism,
results that there's science, vis-a-vis,
beliefs.

I.e., "facts", are as "beliefs", that any fact
alone is a stand-alone little model of a stated
belief, then with regards to that not being,
"infallibilistic".

This is also "Russell: is not the Pope".
A usual doctrine and dogma of Catholicism,
a major belief system historically,
is that its leader the Pope, is infallible,
then that Russell who is secular, once joked
that 1=0 so that according to the Principle
of Explosion, that he was the Pope, thus by
extension infallible, and that's considered
fallacious, and specious.

So, the belief system that a bag-of-facts is
the entire world is specious.

The human reasoning then these days is that
we have an entire philosophy of science, and
the objective and subjective, and for intersubjectivity
and interobjectivity, about first-principle/final-cause,
and teleology from the theoretical and philosophical
side the examination of reason of being by reason
in being, examination and test, and ontology from
the theoretical and empirical side, with regards
to those being among the usual concepts and
exploring the fuller dialectic including
deconstructive accounts for the elementarily
fundamental.

It's not to be confused large-scale data aggregation
and corresponding summary as mechanical inference,
and correctness and thoroughness, of reasoning.

When Aristotle wrote about syllogism that
their truths aren't common, that's to be
considered from the universe of syllogism,
that they all have to be commonly true together,
and that involves that things change and so
that the modality is a temporality, and all
else the quasi-modal is always contingent,
which makes a statistical interpretation,
which makes a scientific interpretation.

Otherwise of course, for any syllogism
there's an opposite, for any stipulation
there's an opposite, the juxtaposition,
so that there's no default certification
of stipulation, and it results rather
that our canon and dogma and doctrine
guides our conscience, the logical conscience
and mathematical conscience, for rigorous
formalists and a common world of logical
and mathematical fact, vis-a-vis, what's
in any sense opinionated or incomplete,
at all.

This is that overgeneralizations are flawed,
except insofar as they're truly logical absolutes.

Matters of definition ....

It seems that instead what you have there
is "an invisible hand's selection of arbitrary
statements of fact collected as common sense",
and this means specifically in the notion
that it is the _senses_ that describe the
phenomenological and the entire empirical setting,
vis-a-vis reason and rationality as of its
relation to the noumenological, then as with
regards to usually a platonistic world where
the only common truths are purely logical and
by extension mathematical, while all else is
only as so disclosed the aletheia what results
for a conscientious philosophy of science,
interpretations for considerations what so
result statistical and scientific experiment.

So, every single item in bag-of-facts,
is contingent the lineage of its body
of definition, in matters of definition.

"Anybody who buys or sells material implication
is a fool or a fraud." -- Invisible Hand

So, "an ontology via specification and
various graphical relations", isn't much
more than the _senses_ of a mechanical reasoner,
that if that's codified in the reasoning its
beliefs, has that humans examine and test
their beliefs, and furthermore "know" that
the non-logical is always contingent,
that otherwise is just a bot.
("Unconscious" reasoning, "unconscientious" reasoning.)

Then it's "matter of definition" as with
regards to matters of expectation, with regards
to matters of communication, what result
rather generally systems of information.

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<1FidnTqSEa8jZWf4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18339&group=sci.lang#18339

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.lang,comp.theory
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:54:57 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:54 UTC

On 03/20/2024 07:21 AM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> [...]
> interpretations for considerations what so
> result statistical and scientific experiment.
>
> So, every single item in bag-of-facts,
> is contingent the lineage of its body
> of definition, in matters of definition.
>

> "Anybody who buys or sells material implication
> is a fool or a fraud." -- Invisible Hand
>

> So, "an ontology via specification and
> various graphical relations", isn't much
> more than the _senses_ of a mechanical reasoner,
> that if that's codified in the reasoning its
> beliefs, has that humans examine and test
> their beliefs, and furthermore "know" that
> the non-logical is always contingent,
> that otherwise is just a bot.
> ("Unconscious" reasoning, "unconscientious" reasoning.)
>
> Then it's "matter of definition" as with
> regards to matters of expectation, with regards
> to matters of communication, what result
> rather generally systems of information.

Aristotle says "syllogisms don't have a common truth",
but that's just that "there are common truths syllogisms
don't have".

Syllogisms aren't facts so much as scratch-pads.

The "secular" is one of those words like
"entropy" and "entropy", Aristotle's "down"
or Leibniz' "full", or like constructivism and
intuitionism, when what's old is new again,
and this kind of thing, the "secular" and
"non-secular".

It's similar in this way to "objective" and
"subjective", those relating matters of
contingency and immediacy, and those
changing in the temporal modality,
by each monad in the monadic modality,
each monad's context what's what,
relative, this absolute.

So, "forging a common belief", or basically
establishing "this bag-of-fact is the immutable
common sensory apparatus of a world of bots",
still has that each little meat-bag wet-ware or
otherwise any reasoning apparatus, basically
still has its own sense of being, or not, that
basically humans are individuals, vis-a-vis,
what's called the "hive-mind", with regards
to personality and this kind of thing.

Human rights are individual rights.

Then, monism is a great idea that there's
an objective, distinct universe of objects
that all monads, being independent actors
or agents and usually indicated as a distinct
"spark", all inhabit one universe, that with
univocity and this kind of thing, makes for
what's according to the canon and doctrine
and dogma, what's usually called platonism,
with regards to the existence of ideals, then
these days for example a "mathematical
universe hypothesis", as sort of extending
that to what's "real" as well.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<Ib2cnSo9XecAYGf4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18340&group=sci.lang#18340

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.lang,comp.theory
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 08:15:43 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:15 UTC

<pdOcnXVLzdY4tWb4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18341&group=sci.lang#18341

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:19:14 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:19 UTC

<7L6cnSW_6YG9s2b4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18343&group=sci.lang#18343

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:42:47 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:42 UTC

<utfkmh$2gfnv$9@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18345&group=sci.lang#18345

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:33:05 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:33 UTC

On 3/19/24 5:10 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 3/18/2024 5:59 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
>> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote or quoted:
>>> Truth is not a matter of definition.
>>
>>    "Truth" is a word created by humans, so it must have some
>>    definition (which might be implicit in the way it's used).
>>    People may not agree upon what exactly is the correct definition,
>>    but such a disagreement only shows that it's a matter of definition.
>
> I am redefining analytical truth such that it is entirely
> comprised of expressions that are stipulated to be true
> Facts, and expressions that are a necessary consequence of
> these Facts.

No, you CLAIM to be doing that, but I have seen ZERO work on actually
trying to do that.

I'm not sure you actually understand what that task entails.

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<uthdo5$282ll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18347&group=sci.lang#18347

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,sci.lang
bachelors are unmarried
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 08:46:43 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 13:46 UTC

On 3/21/2024 6:02 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-03-20 12:49:50 +0000, olcott said:

>>> By the proposed redefinition different sets of stipulations
>>> yield different analytical truths.
>>>

>> The stipulations are merely all of the Facts that comprise the
>> model of the actual world. When properly formalized in knowledge
>> ontology inheritance hierarchy this gives an AI mind the capability
>> of human reasoning.
>
> In sci.logic one should be careful with the word "model". Most of
> the common meanings of the word are not valid here.
>
> When you redefine the term "analytical truth" you should tell in
> the inroduction how it differs from the traditional concepts of
> "analytic truth", "synthetic truth", "empirical truth", and perhaps
> others.

Every detail about the general knowledge of the actual world is encoded
in formalized natural language knowledge ontology inheritance hierarchy.
In other words all general knowledge that can be encoded in language.

Specific knowledge about a situation context can be input to any
analysis of the current situation. I am thinking that such a definition
could get Quine to understand that the semantic meaning of Bachelor(x)
is simply inherited from ~Married(x) & Male(x) & Adult(x).

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<ZoCdnYH0FeDi-2H4nZ2dnZfqnPrp2rtk@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18348&group=sci.lang#18348

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:55:33 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:55 UTC

<87wmpvyxy7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18349&group=sci.lang#18349

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:20:00 -0700
sha1:Xu/eMnALYnsh+oFaTrnTOHrrLOQ=
 by: Keith Thompson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 23:20 UTC

Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> (Some have that "life must be carbon-based because
> only carbon-rings make sequences with enough
> information", but, "live rust", steam vents, and so on.)
[...]

What is "live rust"? The only references I can find are to the 1979
album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<ITydnc7ZuvfwRGH4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18350&group=sci.lang#18350

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
<87wmpvyxy7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:05:47 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:05 UTC

On 03/21/2024 04:20 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>> (Some have that "life must be carbon-based because
>> only carbon-rings make sequences with enough
>> information", but, "live rust", steam vents, and so on.)
> [...]
>
> What is "live rust"? The only references I can find are to the 1979
> album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

It's when you have a new shovel,
and you're digging some fence posts,
and there's a lot of iron in the soil,
rusty live old iron and live rust.

Anyways the next day the shovel's covered with rust.

It's like when you use an iron bar,
and digging fence-post holes to lay out
some barb-wire fence, there's lots of iron,
and it's got a lot of oxidation.

Anyways the next day the iron bar's all covered with rust.

Live rust.

They don't have anything for live rust,
but if you scrape yourself up on old barb wire fence,
it's maybe not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.

There's the Gaia hypothesis, "the Earth is alive",
like in the movie "Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within",
anyways it's not like that, live rust.

Basically "live rust" is a state of
highly accelerated oxidation of ferrous materials,
with associations to organic materials, then
whether that's just catalyst, or, particular symbiosis.

Or that's the kind I know maybe there are others.

Otherwise I've looked into "live rust" before
and there's not much about it. For example,
on Google, this thread isn't there.

Yet, it's definitely a thing.

Yet, it's not in the ephemeral knowledge base, ....

The idea about "the Upper Ontology" and this kind of thing,
and thanks for your interest or thanks for writing,
is a great thing, things change.

Somehow we must always be _parsing_ the things
and making _theory_ and _science_ of the things,
vis-a-vis our internalized knowledge base, facts,
representations, memory, recall, lack thereof.

About "Live Rust", one imagines it's a play on
words as, "live music", while, where did they get it?
That album and its music has had great revival several
times, and has greatly influenced generations of listeners.

There's an intersection of streets near here, in one
direction it's one-way traffic, in the other there's
a spur that joins it, that way two-way traffic.
Anyways though, it's one-way traffic the main, and
all the lanes are usually having constant traffic, one way.
So anyways one thing I've observed is people taking
the "fake left", as if some ontology informed them
that it was not one way traffic, which it is. So,
I wonder, how to add the "no left turn", sign,
that also punches a hole all the way up to, the,
"Upper Ontology", before people just following
directions, head-on a bus.

It's not technically wrong, just under-defined, ....

"Live rust: not to be confused with microthrombosis
associated with platelet complications of COVID disease,
and don't forget pertussis."

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<87plvnyrxp.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18351&group=sci.lang#18351

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:29:54 -0700
<87wmpvyxy7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<ITydnc7ZuvfwRGH4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>
sha1:WvUclcsG7vITws0uOtojWKRfUnY=
 by: Keith Thompson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:29 UTC

Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
> On 03/21/2024 04:20 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
>> [...]
>>> (Some have that "life must be carbon-based because
>>> only carbon-rings make sequences with enough
>>> information", but, "live rust", steam vents, and so on.)
>> [...]
>>
>> What is "live rust"? The only references I can find are to the 1979
>> album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.
>
> It's when you have a new shovel,
> and you're digging some fence posts,
> and there's a lot of iron in the soil,
> rusty live old iron and live rust.
>
> Anyways the next day the shovel's covered with rust.

Yes, iron oxidizes.

[snip]

> They don't have anything for live rust,
> but if you scrape yourself up on old barb wire fence,
> it's maybe not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.

Quoting Wikipedia, "Although rust itself does not cause tetanus, objects
that accumulate rust are often found outdoors or in places that harbor
anaerobic bacteria."

[...]
> Otherwise I've looked into "live rust" before
> and there's not much about it. For example,
> on Google, this thread isn't there.

Because Google Groups recently stopped archiving Usenet posts.

> Yet, it's definitely a thing.

If it were a thing, it would not be relevant to any of the newsgroups
we're posting on. You seemed to be implying that it's some previously
unacknowledged category of life, which would be fascinating *if* it were
true.

[...]

> About "Live Rust", one imagines it's a play on
> words as, "live music", while, where did they get it?
> That album and its music has had great revival several
> times, and has greatly influenced generations of listeners.

It was a live performance recorded during the "Rust Never Sleeps" tour.
Nothing to do with whatever you're talking about.

[...]

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: Analytical truth redefined so that Quine can understand that bachelors are unmarried

<CjSdnY6BcKYPdGH4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18353&group=sci.lang#18353

bachelors are unmarried
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory,sci.lang
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:14:33 -0700
 by: Ross Finlayson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 02:14 UTC

On 03/21/2024 06:29 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 03/21/2024 04:20 PM, Keith Thompson wrote:
>>> Ross Finlayson <ross.a.finlayson@gmail.com> writes:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> What is "live rust"? The only references I can find are to the 1979
>>> album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.
>>
>> It's when you have a new shovel,
>> and you're digging some fence posts,
>> and there's a lot of iron in the soil,
>> rusty live old iron and live rust.
>>
>> Anyways the next day the shovel's covered with rust.
>
> Yes, iron oxidizes.
>
> [snip]
>
>> They don't have anything for live rust,
>> but if you scrape yourself up on old barb wire fence,
>> it's maybe not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.
>
> Quoting Wikipedia, "Although rust itself does not cause tetanus, objects
> that accumulate rust are often found outdoors or in places that harbor
> anaerobic bacteria."
>
> [...]
>> Otherwise I've looked into "live rust" before
>> and there's not much about it. For example,
>> on Google, this thread isn't there.
>
> Because Google Groups recently stopped archiving Usenet posts.
>
>> Yet, it's definitely a thing.
>
> If it were a thing, it would not be relevant to any of the newsgroups
> we're posting on. You seemed to be implying that it's some previously
> unacknowledged category of life, which would be fascinating *if* it were
> true.
>
> [...]
>
>> About "Live Rust", one imagines it's a play on
>> words as, "live music", while, where did they get it?
>> That album and its music has had great revival several
>> times, and has greatly influenced generations of listeners.
>
> It was a live performance recorded during the "Rust Never Sleeps" tour.
> Nothing to do with whatever you're talking about.
>
> [...]

Yes: sci.logic, comp.theory, and sci.lang,
have not so much here to do with live rust.

They do however have lots to do with models
of computation, the foundations of logic,
and the purposes and contents of language.

It is sort of an implication that biological processes
are involved in this catalyst of rust, it's the
nutrients, live rust, vis-a-vis, live steam.

These days one might aver "Usenet is just a shambles,
in fact a lot of its traffic is bots".

Yet, to arrive at notions of foundations, and
especially, "non-standard", yet real, foundations,
and the considerations of for example this thread,
that analyzes "classical quasi-modal logic" with
regards to relevance logic and the structure of
language and natural language fulfilling any role
of symbolic and logical language, it's a thing.

So, one might juxtapose Neil Young, and Lynyrd Skynyrd,
in the era of the late 60's and the remarkable times
of the Equal Rights Amendment and Civil Rights Act,
in the backdrop of the Cold War and Vietnam War,
in as to where, due the archival and preservation,
of these works, it was possible for later generations,
and even today, to rediscover their concepts and
revisit the dialog, what results that the ERA and CRA
had always been, and those wars were over.

These days it's again for civil liberties, privacy mostly,
then with regards to the Malthusian dilemma, that it's
not only the ontology we've arrived at, yet also
the ontology of how the ontology is arrived at.

(Some are particularly sensitive to ending phrases
with prepositions, so "arrived at" is that at
which is arrived, at.)

Consider for example the Frankfurt School.

Perhaps the most unexpected development is, after
models of computation and the transistorized computer
circuit, four decades of Moore's law then to these
days even more novel models of computation like
the free-form 3-D I-C, besides models of ultra-low-power
reversible computing and such, into ubiquity, and
the implementation of resources for pretty much any
manner of, "mechanical reasoning", vis-a-vis the
silver thread back through all teleology which
advises that the same theory, is still a monism.

Remarkably, standardization is very thorough.

Not relevant here: indeed, speaks to exactly why
relevance logic, is relevant here, and "material",
"implication": is neither. That is just a particular,
yet, somehow, the meta-theory is the theory, and,
it's natural language.

When I'm curious about NLP I study archives,
for example the great ACL anthology, https://aclanthology.org/ .

I figure what can read that can read
pretty good, or rather, rather well.

Warm regards, no offense intended

Indeed, Google has surfaced Usenet several times
in its epochs of organization with regards to
the latest spam-walling of the Internet, then
regardless its literal or semantic content,
it's swept under the entburgung rug,
the hide & show huff & stuff,
where it accumulates. Belles lettres.

That's not to say it doesn't _read_ Usenet.

Warm regards, and as they say, "keep on
rocking in the free world", and,
"keep on trucking", was the idea.