The moon may be smaller than Earth, but it's further away.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

SubjectAuthor
* Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning TooNewsKrawler
+* Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image ScanningNewsKrawler
> [...]
|         | | || `- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewAlan Baker
|         | | |+- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewJolly Roger
|         | | |`- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewAlan Baker
|         | | `- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewAlan Baker
|         | +* Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its Newsms
|         | |+- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanningnospam
|         | |`- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewSilverSlimer
|         | +- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewJolly Roger
|         | `- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewAlan Baker
|         `- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image ScanningRJH
`* Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewNews
 +- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image ScanningGronk
 `- Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its NewJoerg Lorenz

Pages:123
Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serfa5$2ie2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18529&group=comp.mobile.android#18529

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:49:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:49 UTC

Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
https://gizmodo.com/critics-say-apple-built-a-backdoor-into-your-iphone-wit-1847438624

The new features could start the path to a slippery slope where Edward
Snowden said "Apple is unilaterally rolling out mass surveillance to the
entire world with this. Make no mistake: if they can scan for this
today, they can scan for anything tomorrow. Apple just turned a trillion
dollars of devices into iNarcs - *without asking*."

Apple's new features which involve algorithmic scanning of users' devices
and messages - constitute a privacy violation which can be repurposed to
search for any type of private user data that exists on your own iPhone.

Apple opened the door to new forms of widespread surveillance.
Apple is building a potential back door to your encrypted communications.

It can scan all iMessage content to warn parents of what kids are saying.
Scientists say this technology presents a number of obvious privacy hazards.

In terms of the iMessage update, concerns are based around how encryption
works, the protection it is supposed to provide, and what the update does to
basically circumvent that protection. Encryption protects the contents of a
user's message by scrambling it into unreadable cryptographic signatures
before it is sent, essentially nullifying the point of intercepting the
message because it's unreadable. However, because of the way Apple's new
feature is set up, communications with child accounts will be scanned to
look for certain explicit material *BEFORE* a message is encrypted.

The Center for Democracy and Technology took aim at the iMessage update,
calling it an erosion of the privacy provided by Apple's end-to-end
encryption: "The mechanism that will enable Apple to scan images in
iMessages is not an alternative to a back door - it is a back door,"
the Center said."

"Client-side scanning on one 'end' of the communication breaks the
security of the transmission, and informing a third-party (the parent) about
the content of the communication undermines its privacy."

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serfik$2jhe$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18532&group=comp.mobile.android#18532

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:54:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:54 UTC

Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
https://gizmodo.com/critics-say-apple-built-a-backdoor-into-your-iphone-wit-1847438624

Jennifer Granick, surveillance and cybersecurity counsel for the ACLU's
Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project, told Gizmodo via email that she is
concerned about the potential implications of the photo scans: "However
altruistic its motives, Apple has built an infrastructure that could be
subverted for widespread surveillance of the conversations and information
we keep on our phones," she said. "The CSAM scanning capability could be
repurposed for censorship or for identification and reporting of content
that is not illegal depending on what hashes the company decides to, or is
forced to, include in the matching database. For this and other reasons, it
is also susceptible to abuse by autocrats abroad, by overzealous government
officials at home, or even by the company itself."

The privacy-focused Electronic Frontier Foundation noted "All it would take
to widen the narrow back door that Apple is building is an expansion of the
machine learning parameters to look for additional types of content, or a
tweak of the configuration flags to scan, not just children's, but anyone's
accounts. That's not a slippery slope; that's a fully built system just
waiting for external pressure to make the slightest change".

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serhbq$i2o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18535&group=comp.mobile.android#18535

From: New...@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New
Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 11:24:41 -0400
 by: News - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:24 UTC

On 8/9/2021 10:49 AM, NewsKrawler wrote:

> The new features could start the path to a slippery slope where Edward
> Snowden said "Apple is unilaterally rolling out mass surveillance to the
> entire world with this.
Snowden should be in jail, instead of being spoon-fed by the Russians.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serhro$2tnd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18538&group=comp.mobile.android#18538

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:33:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:33 UTC

Apple Built a Back Door Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
https://gizmodo.com/critics-say-apple-built-a-backdoor-into-your-iphone-wit-1847438624

In addition to Snowden, "India McKinney, director of federal affairs for
E.F.F., raised another concern: the fact that both tools are un-auditable
means that it's impossible to independently verify that they are working the
way they're supposed to be working."

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211143265077%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18544&group=comp.mobile.android#18544

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 11:43:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:43 UTC

In article <serhro$2tnd$1@paganini.bofh.team>, NewsKrawler
<newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> Apple Built a Back Door Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

there is no back door.

> In addition to Snowden, "India McKinney, director of federal affairs for
> E.F.F., raised another concern: the fact that both tools are un-auditable
> means that it's impossible to independently verify that they are working the
> way they're supposed to be working."

that's false.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serifu$hhi$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18546&group=comp.mobile.android#18546

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 08:44:14 -0700
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:44 UTC

On Monday, August 9, 2021 at 8:24:41 AM, News wrote:
> Snowden should be in jail, instead of being spoon-fed by the Russians.

It's not just Snowden saying the iPhone opened a backdoor to the government.

Nobody is defending Apple except for the government who asked for this back
door that Apple gave them around iMessage encryption and photo surveillance.

Knowing that EVERYONE (except the government) criticizes this iPhone back
door, will you kindly explain why you feel anyone and everyone who cares
about iPhone privacy should be jailed?

It's everyone who is saying Apple circumvented any remaining iPhone privacy.
After Snowden, are you asking to jail every person who cares about privacy?

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<seriv8$il1$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18549&group=comp.mobile.android#18549

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 09:52:23 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:52 UTC

nospam wrote:
>> Apple Built a Back Door Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
>
> there is no back door.

How is Apple scanning the content of those supposedly encrypted iMessages?

>> In addition to Snowden, "India McKinney, director of federal affairs for
>> E.F.F., raised another concern: the fact that both tools are un-auditable
>> means that it's impossible to independently verify that they are working the
>> way they're supposed to be working."
>
> that's false.

The only ones defending Apple are government agencies against privacy.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serj0o$i2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18550&group=comp.mobile.android#18550

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 17:52:56 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:52 UTC

Am 09.08.21 um 17:24 schrieb News:
> Snowden should be in jail, instead of being spoon-fed by the Russians.

And you on the electric chair?

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211224252637%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18556&group=comp.mobile.android#18556

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 12:24:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:24 UTC

In article <seriv8$il1$1@news.mixmin.net>, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Apple Built a Back Door Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools
> >
> > there is no back door.
>
> How is Apple scanning the content of those supposedly encrypted iMessages?

apple isn't scanning imessages.

first of all, what imessage does is an opt-in choice and applies for
kids 12 years old or younger, whose phone is under parental control.

second, if enabled, the imessage app checks for possibly inappropriate
content and then notifies their parents. apple is not involved, nor is
law enforcement. it's entirely between mom&dad and their child.

teenagers can choose to opt-in if they want, and if they do, only they
are notified. their parents are *not* notified, nor can they be even if
they want to.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serqmm$5rd$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18575&group=comp.mobile.android#18575

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:04:21 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:04 UTC

nospam wrote:
> apple isn't scanning imessages.

How does iMessage tell any second party that the first party is
sending/receiving sexually explicit without this new iOS15 Apple
open back door of direct on device scanning of all iMessages?

> second, if enabled, the imessage app checks for possibly inappropriate
> content and then notifies their parents. apple is not involved, nor is
> law enforcement. it's entirely between mom&dad and their child.

The fact the iMessages are now unlocked is exactly why all the articles
characterized it as a new back door to your own house which is now left
unlocked for anyone who wants to enter.

> teenagers can choose to opt-in if they want, and if they do, only they
> are notified. their parents are *not* notified, nor can they be even if
> they want to.

The article called iMessages an unlocked back door for the same reason that
a physical back door to your home that the parents leave unlocked would be.

Anyone can enter once they know the back door is left unlocked.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<serr6b$vm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18580&group=comp.mobile.android#18580

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 11:12:28 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:12 UTC

On 8/9/2021 11:04 AM, Gronk wrote:

<snip>

> Anyone can enter once they know the back door is left unlocked.

Don't worry. Remember what Tim Cook stated in 2015: "You can't have a
backdoor that's only for the good guys."

Also, the feature only impacts users who have chosen to use iCloud
Photos to store their photos.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<sertb0$1vv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18586&group=comp.mobile.android#18586

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:49:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:49 UTC

On 9 Aug 2021 at 7:12:28 PM, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> the feature only impacts users who have chosen to use iCloud
> Photos to store their photos.

It looks for whatever it considers "objectional content" in iMessages.
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211455276337%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18587&group=comp.mobile.android#18587

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 14:55:27 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:55 UTC

In article <serqmm$5rd$1@news.mixmin.net>, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > apple isn't scanning imessages.
>
> How does iMessage tell any second party that the first party is
> sending/receiving sexually explicit without this new iOS15 Apple
> open back door of direct on device scanning of all iMessages?

it's an *opt-in* feature for phones that are under parental control and
for kids who are 12 years old or younger.

only the parents are notified, who then can handle the situation as
they deem appropriate with their children.

apple is *not* notified nor do they even know such images were sent or
received.

> > second, if enabled, the imessage app checks for possibly inappropriate
> > content and then notifies their parents. apple is not involved, nor is
> > law enforcement. it's entirely between mom&dad and their child.
>
> The fact the iMessages are now unlocked is exactly why all the articles
> characterized it as a new back door to your own house which is now left
> unlocked for anyone who wants to enter.

it's not a door of any kind.

it's an *opt-in* feature for phones under parental control of kids who
are 12 years old or younger, done entirely by the imessage app. there
is no door at all. apple has *no* knowledge of the text messages sent
or received.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211455407117%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18589&group=comp.mobile.android#18589

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 14:55:40 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:55 UTC

In article <serr6b$vm$1@dont-email.me>, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

> Don't worry. Remember what Tim Cook stated in 2015: "You can't have a
> backdoor that's only for the good guys."

this isn't a door of any kind, front or back.

> Also, the feature only impacts users who have chosen to use iCloud
> Photos to store their photos.

you finally realized that.

yesterday you were spreading disinformation, claiming that apple was
scanning everything and instead should change their system to only
search what is uploaded to icloud.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211455417190%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18590&group=comp.mobile.android#18590

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 14:55:41 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 18:55 UTC

In article <sertb0$1vv$1@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

> It looks for whatever it considers "objectional content" in iMessages.

only if the parents have opted into it, for their kids who are 12 years
old or younger and their phones under parental control. only the
parents are notified. apple is not part of it.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<ses4kj$u0q$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18616&group=comp.mobile.android#18616

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:53:54 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 20:53 UTC

"nospam wrote:
> it's not a door of any kind.

Why is it ONLY you (and Apple) who say it's not a backdoor?

Everyone who can read sees both the scanning & iMessage back doors
for exactly what they are: A backdoor into the iPhone.

MacDailyNews Take: "Apple is planning to build a backdoor into both
its data storage system and into its iMessage messaging system."

It's only you who doesn't understand anything about what Apple does.
It's because you only read what Apple told you to read.

Try reading something NOT from Apple, like MacDailyNews for example.

MacDailyNews Take: "Apple move is perplexing, instantly destroying
years of claims of privacy protection from the Apple CEO on down"

https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/06/center-for-democracy-technology-apples-backdoor-scanning-of-photos-and-messages-threaten-users-security-and-privacy/

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211710161658%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18617&group=comp.mobile.android#18617

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 17:10:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:10 UTC

In article <ses4kj$u0q$1@news.mixmin.net>, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like

like the cryptography experts who audited it.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<ses7mi$sq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18622&group=comp.mobile.android#18622

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 14:45:55 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:45 UTC

On 8/9/2021 1:53 PM, Gronk wrote:

<snip>

> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like MacDailyNews for example.

They are just one of many.

_Center for Democracy and Technology_
“Apple’s Changes to Messaging and Photo Services Threaten Users”
Security and Privacy”
<https://cdt.org/press/cdt-apples-changes-to-messaging-and-photo-services-threaten-users-security-and-privacy/>

_Electronic Frontier Foundation_
“Apple's Plan to "Think Different" About Encryption Opens a Backdoor to
Your Private Life”
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/apples-plan-think-different-about-encryption-opens-backdoor-your-private-life>

_CNBC_
“Apple’s privacy reputation is at risk with the changes it announced”
<https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/06/apples-privacy-reputation-is-at-risk-with-new-changes.html>

_Computerworld_
“Apple’s plan to scan US iPhones raises privacy red flags”
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3628454/apples-plan-to-scan-us-iphones-raises-privacy-red-flags.html>

The key thing is for Apple to find a way to save face and gracefully
back down and apologize. They should also form a strategy team to find a
way to restore public trust in the company.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<ses8jp$844$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18623&group=comp.mobile.android#18623

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:01:45 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:01 UTC

nospam wrote:
>> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like
>
> like the cryptography experts who audited it.

You can't find anyone NOT PAID BY APPLE who doesn't say it's a back door.
Even Apple released an FAQ today that admits it's an open back door.

Apple even released an insulting internal memo against privacy on Monday
which said Apple had every right to implement any backdoor into the iPhone.

Without asking for your permission, Apple says they have every right to
implement scanning of all your private data using your iPhone for that scan.

Read the memo where Apple insults everyone who cares about iPhone privacy.

*Apple intentionally insults all privacy activists with scathing internal memo*
https://www.howtogeek.com/746588/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
https://www.rt.com/news/531389-apple-petition-privacy-snowden/
https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/06/apple-internal-memo-icloud-photo-scanning-concerns/
https://itechblog.co/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
https://lewlewmedia.com/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
https://www.reddit.com/r/conservatives/comments/ozv8mp/apple_distributed_an_internal_memo_today_which/
https://en.buradabiliyorum.com/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<sesar8$s3u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18631&group=comp.mobile.android#18631

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Image Scanning Tools
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:39:34 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:39 UTC

On 2021-08-09 3:01 p.m., Gronk wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>>> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like
>>
>> like the cryptography experts who audited it.
>
> You can't find anyone NOT PAID BY APPLE who doesn't say it's a back door.
> Even Apple released an FAQ today that admits it's an open back door.

And right here is where your link should have gone...

> Apple even released an insulting internal memo against privacy on Monday
> which said Apple had every right to implement any backdoor into the iPhone.

And here...

> Without asking for your permission, Apple says they have every right to
> implement scanning of all your private data using your iPhone for that
> scan.
>
> Read the memo where Apple insults everyone who cares about iPhone privacy.
> *Apple intentionally insults all privacy activists with scathing
> internal memo*
> https://www.howtogeek.com/746588/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
>
> https://www.rt.com/news/531389-apple-petition-privacy-snowden/
> https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/06/apple-internal-memo-icloud-photo-scanning-concerns/
>
> https://itechblog.co/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
>
> https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
>
> https://lewlewmedia.com/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/conservatives/comments/ozv8mp/apple_distributed_an_internal_memo_today_which/
>
> https://en.buradabiliyorum.com/apple-discusses-screeching-voices-of-the-minority-in-internal-memos/

What you fail to mention is that the part about the "screeching
minority" wasn't said by anyone at Apple.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<090820211901503251%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18639&group=comp.mobile.android#18639

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 19:01:50 -0400
References: <serfa5$2ie2$1@paganini.bofh.team> <serfik$2jhe$1@paganini.bofh.team> <serhro$2tnd$1@paganini.bofh.team> <090820211143265077%nospam@nospam.invalid> <seriv8$il1$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211224252637%nospam@nospam.invalid> <serqmm$5rd$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211455276337%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ses4kj$u0q$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211710161658%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ses8jp$844$1@news.mixmin.net>
 by: nospam - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:01 UTC

In article <ses8jp$844$1@news.mixmin.net>, Gronk
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like
> >
> > like the cryptography experts who audited it.
>
> You can't find anyone NOT PAID BY APPLE who doesn't say it's a back door.

numerous people have already done so, arlen

> Even Apple released an FAQ today that admits it's an open back door.

reading comprehension is definitely *not* your strong suit.

trolling, on the other hand, is at the top of your list.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<sescc2$hcj$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18640&group=comp.mobile.android#18640

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 17:05:54 -0600
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:05 UTC

sms wrote:
> The key thing is for Apple to find a way to save face and gracefully
> back down and apologize. They should also form a strategy team to find a
> way to restore public trust in the company.

I think they have a problem with backing down because they don't have end to
end encryption that is worth anything which this is really a plan to fix.

It's a sneaky plan though.
And it will only work because Apple customers are apparently mostly fools.

They need to move encryption off their iCloud servers for those fools.
1. Apple backed down to the FBI (and China) when the iCloud was supposed to
be encrypted (they keep the key now which isn't end to end encryption).

2. Now they're trying to put the scanning onto your personal iPhone.

3. That way they can go back to claiming they have end to end encryption.

Their overall strategy appears to be to claim end to end encryption by
moving the scanning onto your iPhone instead of on their iCloud servers.

They can't back down if that is their strategy to fool their customer base.
By moving the scanning onto the iPhone, they can now fool their customers.

They will claim they have end to end encryption from the iPhone to the
iCloud without mentioning that the scanning is actually done on the iPhone.

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<zFiQI.3613$WG5.2359@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18644&group=comp.mobile.android#18644

Image Scanning Tools
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 19:14:39 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:14 UTC

On 2021-08-09 5:45 p.m., sms wrote:
> On 8/9/2021 1:53 PM, Gronk wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Try reading something NOT from Apple, like MacDailyNews for example.
>
> They are just one of many.
>
> _Center for Democracy and Technology_
> “Apple’s Changes to Messaging and Photo Services Threaten Users”
> Security and Privacy”
> <https://cdt.org/press/cdt-apples-changes-to-messaging-and-photo-services-threaten-users-security-and-privacy/>
>

> _Electronic Frontier Foundation_
> “Apple's Plan to "Think Different" About Encryption Opens a Backdoor to
> Your Private Life”
> <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/apples-plan-think-different-about-encryption-opens-backdoor-your-private-life>
>

> _CNBC_
> “Apple’s privacy reputation is at risk with the changes it announced”
> <https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/06/apples-privacy-reputation-is-at-risk-with-new-changes.html>
>

> _Computerworld_
> “Apple’s plan to scan US iPhones raises privacy red flags”
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3628454/apples-plan-to-scan-us-iphones-raises-privacy-red-flags.html>
>

> The key thing is for Apple to find a way to save face and gracefully
> back down and apologize. They should also form a strategy team to find a
> way to restore public trust in the company.

I can't believe that I'm doing this but I'm going to have to agree with
nospam here. Apple has no way of scanning the photos on your device so
it's a given that they will only be able to do so on iCloud. Smart users
should already be aware that they can't expect total privacy by putting
data on the cloud and since this particular cloud is owned and operating
by Apple, they have a right to scan their own servers for illegal
content if they want to. If the idea disgusts you and you insist on
having cloud storage, consider running your own OwnCloud server or
consider using the competition. I like IceDrive myself.

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<sesdq2$l9m$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18648&group=comp.mobile.android#18648

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 17:30:26 -0600
References: <serfa5$2ie2$1@paganini.bofh.team> <serfik$2jhe$1@paganini.bofh.team> <serhro$2tnd$1@paganini.bofh.team> <090820211143265077%nospam@nospam.invalid> <seriv8$il1$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211224252637%nospam@nospam.invalid> <serqmm$5rd$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211455276337%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ses4kj$u0q$1@news.mixmin.net> <090820211710161658%nospam@nospam.invalid> <ses8jp$844$1@news.mixmin.net> <sesar8$s3u$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Gronk - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:30 UTC

Alan Baker wrote:
> What you fail to mention is that the part about the "screeching
> minority" wasn't said by anyone at Apple.

"_Apple signed off on that quote_. They think those of us worried about
invasive technologies like this and the power that backdoors like this
on the iPhone would give to totalitarian regimes all over the world are the
'screeching voices of the minority'"

https://www.osnews.com/story/133799/apple-critics-of-continuous-iphone-photo-scanning-are-screeching-voices-of-the-minority/

Re: Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools

<sesdt9$lco$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18649&group=comp.mobile.android#18649

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:31:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 23:31 UTC

On 9 Aug 2021 at 7:55:41 PM, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> It looks for whatever it considers "objectional content" in iMessages.
>
> only if the parents have opted into it, for their kids who are 12 years
> old or younger and their phones under parental control. only the
> parents are notified. apple is not part of it.

Apple sold their soul to China.
Apple caved in to the USA.
Apple caved in to the UK.
And Apple caved in to Saudi Arabia.

Everyone is saying this is a back door just waiting to be opened.
All anyone needs to do is ask Apple who has caved in to everyone already.

Only you aren't aware Apple caved into anyone who pays them money.
Do you even know that Google is Apple's largest money making customer?

Google pays Apple for your private search data.
And Apple pays Google to store your private data on Google's servers.

Apple caved into everyone that offered them the monetary incentive.
What's different today with this backdoor from all those situations?
--
Cheers, Rob

computers / comp.mobile.android / Gizmodo: Apple Built a Backdoor Into Your iPhone With Its New Image Scanning Tools