From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: National Scrabble Day (13 April)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:48:15 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:48 UTC

Tony Cooper on a.u.e. beat me to this.
It's the birthday of Alfred Mosher Butts (1899-1993), an American
architect who loved word games, and figured out how to make one that was
intensely competitive -- give points for letters!
"Scrabble" (the name) was trademarked by the Hasbro company in 1948.

The letter values and numbers of tiles for each letter were based on
frequencies on the front page of the New York Times.
BUT there were only four S's (less than you would expect), since "to
have more would weaken the game by allowing too many plural noun and
third-person verb forms." (Crystal)

Re: National Scrabble Day (13 April)

<9ead8bd1f0a96a63822fa38f1b6a43f5@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18659&group=sci.lang#18659

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:22:51 +0000
Subject: Re: National Scrabble Day (13 April)
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:22 UTC

Ross Clark wrote:

> Tony Cooper on a.u.e. beat me to this.
> It's the birthday of Alfred Mosher Butts (1899-1993), an American
> architect who loved word games, and figured out how to make one that was
> intensely competitive -- give points for letters!
> "Scrabble" (the name) was trademarked by the Hasbro company in 1948.

> The letter values and numbers of tiles for each letter were based on
> frequencies on the front page of the New York Times.
> BUT there were only four S's (less than you would expect), since "to
> have more would weaken the game by allowing too many plural noun and
> third-person verb forms." (Crystal)

When was it invented, and when did it become Popular?

Did Nabokov play Scrabble ?

Nabokov invented a word game: Nabokov created the krestoslovitsa, the first Russian crossword puzzle. This suggests a general love for word games that Scrabble embodies.

While Nabokov's Scrabble playing is uncertain, here are some celebrities known for their Scrabble love:

Stephen Sondheim (Composer/Lyricist): A champion-level player, Sondheim is known for his witty and intricate lyrics, perhaps honed by Scrabble battles.

Shia LaBeouf (Actor): LaBeouf reportedly enjoys friendly Scrabble competition, showcasing a different side of his creative talents.

Stan Lee (Comic Book Writer): The mind behind iconic Marvel characters, Lee was known to enjoy Scrabble, potentially flexing his vocabulary muscles.