Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The Labs. -- Dennis Ritchie

computers / comp.mobile.android / opt out of ads personalization

SubjectAuthor
* opt out of ads personalizationJ.B. Wood
+* Re: opt out of ads personalizationAndy Burns
|`* Re: opt out of ads personalizationJ.B. Wood
| `- Re: opt out of ads personalizationJohn Doe
`* Re: opt out of ads personalizationVanguardLH
 `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationAndy Burns
  `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationVanguardLH
   +- Re: opt out of ads personalizationAndy Burns
   +- Re: opt out of ads personalizationJohn Doe
   `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationJ.B. Wood
    +- Re: opt out of ads personalizationJohn Doe
    `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationAndy Burns
     `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationVanguardLH
      `* Re: opt out of ads personalizationJ.B. Wood
       `- Re: opt out of ads personalizationVanguardLH

1
opt out of ads personalization

<sf50ac$1flh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18944&group=comp.mobile.android#18944

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: opt out of ads personalization
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 00:35:24 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 05:35 UTC

The words don't change whether you have the switch to the right (blue) or to
the left (gray).

Which side of the switch (left or right) is opting out?
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<inmk0hFjt1sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18946&group=comp.mobile.android#18946

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: opt out of ads personalization
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:06:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 07:06 UTC

J.B. Wood wrote:

> The words don't change whether you have the switch to the right (blue)
> or to
> the left (gray).
>
> Which side of the switch (left or right) is opting out?

Like all sliders, blue=on, so blue=opted-out

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<h0btod42u86p$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18968&group=comp.mobile.android#18968

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:34:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 17:34 UTC

"J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The words don't change whether you have the switch to the right (blue)
> or to the left (gray).
>
> Which side of the switch (left or right) is opting out?

I used my magic telescope that can bend around the curvature of the
planet to look through your window to see at what you're pointing which
you didn't mention here, but your curtains were drawn.

You shouldn't use those pirated and hacked versions of Android. You
don't know what you'll get in those. Never seen any advertising option
to enable or disable in the OS settings for LG's custom version of
Android on my current smartphone nor in Samsung's custom Android when I
had those phones.

If you are not asking about the Android OS, what are you asking about?
Perhaps your Google account settings? Like at:

https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization

For me, when I toggle that option, yes, the words do change.

Off: "Ad personalization is OFF" (slider is to left and gray)
On : "Ad personalization is ON" (slider is to right and blue)

There is a definite change in words and display of the slider.

Perhaps you choose to disable Javascript in an extension you installed
into your web browser. Some web browsers let you disable Javascript,
like Firefox in about:config for its javascript.enabled setting. We
don't know which web browser you're using or what extensions you
installed until you open the curtains.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<innp3nFrc01U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18969&group=comp.mobile.android#18969

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:40:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 17:40 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Never seen any advertising option
> to enable or disable in the OS settings for LG's custom version of
> Android on my current smartphone nor in Samsung's custom Android when I
> had those phones.
>
> If you are not asking about the Android OS

He *is* asking about Android, on a stock device, within

settings/google services & preferences/ads

The top slider.

<https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/4.jpg>

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<15c0z24cf16bc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18977&group=comp.mobile.android#18977

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:39:43 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:39 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> He *is* asking about Android, on a stock device, within
> settings/google services & preferences/ads
> The top slider.
> <https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/4.jpg>

Thanks for the clarification. That could be what the OP was asking
about, but might not. As noted, could be in his Google account where he
saw an ads personalization setting. The batteries for my crystal ball
are on backorder. While different for navigation on my Android
smartphone (Settings -> General -> Google -> Ads), I did find the one
*you* mentioned.

When toggling the option, the words do not change as the OP noted. Not
sure why they would since the words do not reflect state. The slider
definitely changes, and it does reflect state: left/gray = disabled
(don't opt-out), right/blue = enabled (do opt-out).

The problem with some settings (in any OS or app) is that they may be
negatively worded, so it can be confusing just what the setting does.
For example, "Do not allow users to login without credentials" versus
"Require credentials for logins", so enabling either enforces the same
requirement. Sometimes you enable a setting to disable a feature, and
visa versa.

For the setting in question, if we're on the same one as for the OP:
- To opt-out (not opt-in) = enable the setting.
- To "not opt-out" (opt-in) = disable the setting.

Alas, the setting does not alter seeing ads, just whether or not they
were optimized to your identity (shown at the bottom as your advertising
ID). Whether opted in or out, you still get ads if an app presents
them. Other measures are required if you want to get rid of all ads
regardless of optimized to you or not. However, blocking ad sources
does not mean you get rid of the space that would've been used to
present them. An app, for example, may use a banner to show ads. The
banner will still be present, but blank, if you block the spam sources.
Whether shown or not, there remains wasted space in the app.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<innt2jFs596U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18979&group=comp.mobile.android#18979

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:47:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:47 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> The problem with some settings (in any OS or app) is that they may be
> negatively worded, so it can be confusing just what the setting does.
> For example, "Do not allow users to login without credentials" versus
> "Require credentials for logins", so enabling either enforces the same
> requirement. Sometimes you enable a setting to disable a feature, and
> visa versa.

Yes windows GPO editors are notorious for "enable this to disable that"
type settings ... which then have a rambly paragraph that tries to
explain and doesn't actually clarify ... some programmers should be shot.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf6ged$7b1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18981&group=comp.mobile.android#18981

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:16:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:16 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> He *is* asking about Android, on a stock device, within
>> settings/google services & preferences/ads
>> The top slider.
>> <https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/4.jpg>
>
> Thanks for the clarification. That could be what the OP was asking
> about, but might not.

Stop it already!

The poster is most certainly asking about an Android setting.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf7b6e$5ra$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18988&group=comp.mobile.android#18988

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 21:53:19 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 02:53 UTC

On 8/13/2021 10:39 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> When toggling the option, the words do not change as the OP noted. Not
> sure why they would since the words do not reflect state. The slider
> definitely changes, and it does reflect state: left/gray = disabled
> (don't opt-out), right/blue = enabled (do opt-out).

You are describing the same settings that I have on stock Android.
Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Opt out of Ads Personalization
Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Enable debug logging for ads
In the first, blue is opting out while in the second blue is opting in.

I was confused because this implies opting out is to the left (gray).
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/5-ways-keep-google-from-collecting-data-your-android-phone-0181002/

But this implies opting out is to the right (blue).
https://support.scruff.com/hc/en-us/articles/202623644-Opt-out-of-personalized-ads-on-Android

Now I know sliding to the right (blue) is opting out where just below that
it works the opposite for enabling debug logging for data.

On that same screen to opt out of ads you slide to the right (blue) but just
below that to opt out of ad logging is sliding to the left (gray).
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf7bac$70h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18989&group=comp.mobile.android#18989

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 21:55:25 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 02:55 UTC

On 8/13/2021 2:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

>> Which side of the switch (left or right) is opting out?
>
> Like all sliders, blue=on, so blue=opted-out

On that same screen the blue opts in to one and it also opts out to another.
Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Opt out of Ads Personalization
Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Enable debug logging for ads
In the first, blue is opting out while in the second blue is opting in.
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf7drb$49i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18993&group=comp.mobile.android#18993

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 03:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 03:38 UTC

"J.B. Wood" wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>>> Which side of the switch (left or right) is opting out?
>>
>> Like all sliders, blue=on, so blue=opted-out
>
> On that same screen the blue opts in to one and it also opts out to
> another.

That wasn't the assertion. Scroll up (2 lines)... "blue=on". Whatever the
assertion on the left, it's made true by flipping the slider to the right.

Don't get bogged down in the logic.

> Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Opt out of Ads Personalization
> Settings ---> Privacy ---> Ads ---> Enable debug logging for ads In the
> first, blue is opting out while in the second blue is opting in.

Here (Android 11), it's Settings > Privacy > Advanced > Ads

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf7e87$49i$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18994&group=comp.mobile.android#18994

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 03:45:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 03:45 UTC

"J.B. Wood" wrote:

> Now I know sliding to the right (blue) is opting out where just below
> that it works the opposite for enabling debug logging for data.
>
> On that same screen to opt out of ads you slide to the right (blue) but
> just below that to opt out of ad logging is sliding to the left (gray).

Technically speaking... To "opt out" means action is required.

The slider corresponds to the assertion. Whatever the assertion is and
however obscure it is, sliding the slider to the right makes the assertion
true. That is assuming they are following protocol.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<inp5b4F5ag2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18998&group=comp.mobile.android#18998

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 07:14:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:14 UTC

J.B. Wood wrote:

> On that same screen to opt out of ads you slide to the right (blue) but
> just
> below that to opt out of ad logging is sliding to the left (gray).

I can't see what's so difficult to following the logic, it's not trying
to trick you. When they're blue, each slider "does" what they say.

If it was "Enable this unless you don't not want to opt-out of ads
personalisation" you might have grounds to complain.

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<bb6eq1kjbouh$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19000&group=comp.mobile.android#19000

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 02:14:49 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 07:14 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> I can't see what's so difficult to following the logic, it's not trying
> to trick you. When they're blue, each slider "does" what they say.

Besides the slider changing state, perhaps the OP wanted the description
to also change to indicate "You have opted out of personalized ads" and
"You have opted into personalized ads", but with non-changing text
saying "No matter what you pick, you will still get ads (har har har)".

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<sf8csa$5b3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19002&group=comp.mobile.android#19002

From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 07:28:11 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 12:28 UTC

On 8/14/2021 1:14 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> I can't see what's so difficult to following the logic, it's not trying
>> to trick you. When they're blue, each slider "does" what they say.
>
> Besides the slider changing state, perhaps the OP wanted the description
> to also change to indicate "You have opted out of personalized ads" and
> "You have opted into personalized ads", but with non-changing text
> saying "No matter what you pick, you will still get ads (har har har)".

I was confused because this implies opting out is to the left (gray).
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/5-ways-keep-google-from-collecting-data-your-android-phone-0181002/

Try almost any _other_ toggle in Android (which isn't expressly designed, on
purpose, to be confusing). When it's blue it will unequivocally say "On" and
when it's gray it will _change_ what it very clearly then says, to "Off".

An example is your "Location" toggle.
Another example is your "Wi-Fi" toggle.
Another example is your "Airplane mode" toggle.

While those are simple examples of what _changes_ unequivocally when you
change the option, others are more complex but just as clearly changed.

When you set a ringtone, the description _changes_ to the ringtone name.
When you set biometrics, the description _changes_ to indicate "Face
registered" or "1 fingerprint added."
When you set the language, the description _changes_ to indicate "English
(United States)."

I suspect this set of options for ad personalization may have been designed
to be a bit confusing so as to leave some crumbs on the table for Google.

Thanks all for confirming opting out is blue for ads but gray for ad logs.
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com

Re: opt out of ads personalization

<1tdmqyyfio90o$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19007&group=comp.mobile.android#19007

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 09:46:53 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 14:46 UTC

"J.B. Wood" <arl_123234@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was confused because this implies opting out is to the left (gray).
> https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/5-ways-keep-google-from-collecting-data-your-android-phone-0181002/

"choose the "Ads" option and select "Opt out of Ads Personalization" to
disable it."

As mentioned earlier, sometimes you enable to disable. As the above
says, you select (enable) to disable personalized ads. I know, it can
seem ass backwards.

> I suspect this set of options for ad personalization may have been
> designed to be a bit confusing so as to leave some crumbs on the
> table for Google.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/6048248?hl=en

The ID has been around for awhile, but only lately does Android fulfill
a request for the ID with a string of all zeroes. THis was probably why
there was a stink that apps were forced to update to a newer Android API
in order to remain or submit new apps in the Play Store. It might've
been handy to have a built-in tracker ID, if enabled, in the OS, but
it's hardly the only way to track your web surfing.

computers / comp.mobile.android / opt out of ads personalization