From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Audio interface failing?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 07:53:54 -0700
 by: Tobiah - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 14:53 UTC

My Presonus 18/10 started acting up. I wasn't getting any audio,
and apps would hang. Youtube videos would not play. I open the
Windows 10 sound settings, which takes 10 or 15 seconds to load.
When it finally does, the device-selection pulldowns alternate
betwen the Presonus, HDMI out, and blank. They are unsesponsive.

I had just installed some software, so I restored to a known
working state. Same thing. Ok, so it must be hardware. I plug
the device into a Macbook air. I do get sound, but the sound settings
panel refused to load. Unplug the unit, and the settings come up
snappy.

There's something wrong with the unit! I consider shopping for
a newer interface, which in some ways has a certain appeal. Then
I think, have I tried everything? It can't be the USB port on the
computer, since I had the same trouble with the Mac. Let's try it
a different port anyway. No dice. Wait, *the cable*. Long shot, I swap it out.
Everything works perfectly again! The cable gets little movement
and no abuse. How dumb I would have felt to plug in a new interface
to find the same problem.

One thing that seems significant, is that I had been using a
SATA drive dock with that USB cable for a couple of days. Again,
no abuse or any undue forces put on the cable, but it was directly
after putting that cable back into the interface that I started
having problems. Odd that I actually got sound out of the Mac, but
the cable screwed with the sound settings app just like in Windows.
I would of thought that it would either work or not.

Though I'd share.

Re: Audio interface failing?

<1aeded6e-7d34-426b-9b6d-850a9722be60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1915&group=rec.audio.pro#1915

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 07:25:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Audio interface failing?
From: tyre3ef...@gmail.com (Ty Ford)
 by: Ty Ford - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 14:25 UTC

> Though I'd share.

I have a maudio 88 keyboard. It uses a USB cable. I had to have the USB socket replaced. It was physically broken.
When I got it back, it wouldn't work. I had also upgraded the Mac OS in the meantime. I thought the upgrade took away the ability to connect. The keyboard also has DIN, but I had to order a power supply because the USB had been supplying power. OK. Working.

Sometime later I get a little Akai keyboard to fire samples and play short lines. USB. It lights up when I plug it in, but doesn't behave. I was using the same USB cable. FINALLY, I tried another cable. Yay!!!!!!

Then I thought about the Maudio 88 and tried the new USB with it. Yay!!

Like you, I am not hard on gear. This stuff never leaves the studio.

Re: Audio interface failing?

<jo6g05Fg83gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1916&group=rec.audio.pro#1916

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:17:08 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 16:17 UTC

On 11/09/2022 15:25, Ty Ford wrote:
>> Though I'd share.
>
> I have a maudio 88 keyboard. It uses a USB cable. I had to have the USB socket replaced. It was physically broken.
> When I got it back, it wouldn't work. I had also upgraded the Mac OS in the meantime. I thought the upgrade took away the ability to connect. The keyboard also has DIN, but I had to order a power supply because the USB had been supplying power. OK. Working.
>
> Sometime later I get a little Akai keyboard to fire samples and play short lines. USB. It lights up when I plug it in, but doesn't behave. I was using the same USB cable. FINALLY, I tried another cable. Yay!!!!!!
>
> Then I thought about the Maudio 88 and tried the new USB with it. Yay!!
>
> Like you, I am not hard on gear. This stuff never leaves the studio.

My experience is that especially if not used, USB cable connections
oxidise over time, and as they are made very cheaply, even the slightest
movement can damage them once past their "use by" date. I often get the
problem where a cable will work with one item but not another, and a
cable that works with the second item won't work with the first, while a
third cable won't work with either, but works perfectly with everything
else.

The keyboard that lights up is merely showing it is receiving power, but
if the problem connection is one of the data pins, it won't pass any
data. Hopefully, as USB-C has duplicated pins and cores for all
connections in mainstream applications, it will be more reliable. Just
don't get me started on the latest wheeze, where the pins on the two
sides have different uses so it will only work when the otherwise
symmetrical plug is the correct way up.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Audio interface failing?

<1i2dnRvtSu4ycoP-nZ2dnZeNn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1917&group=rec.audio.pro#1917

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:37:56 +1200
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
 by: geoff - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 08:37 UTC

On 12/09/2022 4:17 am, John Williamson wrote:
> On 11/09/2022 15:25, Ty Ford wrote:
>>> Though I'd share.
>>
>> I have a maudio 88 keyboard. It uses a USB cable. I had to have the
>> USB socket replaced. It was physically broken.
>> When I got it back, it wouldn't work. I had also upgraded the Mac OS
>> in the meantime. I thought the upgrade took away the ability to
>> connect. The keyboard also has DIN, but I had to order a power supply
>> because the USB had been supplying power. OK. Working.
>>
>> Sometime later I get a little Akai keyboard to fire samples and play
>> short lines. USB. It lights up when I plug it in, but doesn't behave.
>> I was using the same USB cable. FINALLY, I tried another cable. Yay!!!!!!
>>
>> Then I thought about the Maudio 88 and tried the new USB with it. Yay!!
>>
>> Like you, I am not hard on gear. This stuff never leaves the studio.
>>
> My experience is that especially if not used, USB cable connections
> oxidise over time, and as they are made very cheaply, even the slightest
> movement can damage them once past their "use by" date. I often get the
> problem where a cable will work with one item but not another, and a
> cable that works with the second item won't work with the first, while a
> third cable won't work with either, but works perfectly with everything
> else.

My recent drama has been disconnecting a wireless charger from its USB
PSU, taking both away for a few days, returning, and now when set up
exactly the same when my phone is placed on it the status LED shows Blue
(= charging) for a second or two, then Green (= fully charged) and stops
charging. But this is irrespective of the actual state of charge of the
phone ;- (

Yes, tried different PSU(s) and different cable(s), but no change. Must
try the Deoxit thing before taking phone and charging pad back to the
shop to see if they can isolate to the charging pad, or phone. Yes,
phone charges 'normally' by direct cable.

All these things beginning to creep out from the woodwork now that we
are relying so heavily on USB PSUs and cables ....

geoff

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Audio interface failing?