From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Prison
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 23:01:11 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 03:01 UTC

I'm more likely to fail to hear the clock strike than to fail to know
the meaning of a written word that happens to be in my field of
vision.

While paging through a long stretch of quoted gibberish to see whether
something had been said at the bottom, I happened to see the sentence
"Are you really against putting criminals in prison?"

Yes, actually.

Prisons are for people you can't afford to have running around loose.
Criminals should be working to earn money to pay back their victims,
or personally wielding wire brushes and paint remover to clean up the
messes they made.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Prison

<b02lih1urd2nk8arf0n0a8qpgor1jpkaac@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rec.bicycles.misc#192

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Prison
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 10:49:29 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 03:49 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 23:01:11 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>I'm more likely to fail to hear the clock strike than to fail to know
>the meaning of a written word that happens to be in my field of
>vision.
>
>While paging through a long stretch of quoted gibberish to see whether
>something had been said at the bottom, I happened to see the sentence
>"Are you really against putting criminals in prison?"
>
>Yes, actually.
>
>Prisons are for people you can't afford to have running around loose.
>Criminals should be working to earn money to pay back their victims,
>or personally wielding wire brushes and paint remover to clean up the
>messes they made.

Ah But...
In the U.S. that would be referred to as "cruel and unusual
punishment" or even "Slavery".
See
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-03-29/Slavery-is-alive-and-kicking-in-U-S-cotton-prison-farms--Z0vs8rr87m/index.html
https://georgia-exhibits.galileo.usg.edu/spotlight/convict-labor/feature/prison-farms

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Prison

<tggdmf$21iue$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rec.bicycles.misc#193

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 01:27:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 01:27 UTC

On 2022-09-21, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I'm more likely to fail to hear the clock strike than to fail to know
> the meaning of a written word that happens to be in my field of
> vision.
>
> While paging through a long stretch of quoted gibberish to see whether
> something had been said at the bottom, I happened to see the sentence
> "Are you really against putting criminals in prison?"
>
> Yes, actually.
>
> Prisons are for people you can't afford to have running around loose.
> Criminals should be working to earn money to pay back their victims,
> or personally wielding wire brushes and paint remover to clean up the
> messes they made.

I gues that's as good a model as any, as long as they don't run off and
escape while they're busy paying off their debt to society.

I've wondered what other cultures have done besides incarcaration over the
centuries (providing it was not a capital offense, mind you.)..

pH in Aptos

Re: Prison

<87leqb5lns.fsf@mothra.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rec.bicycles.misc#194

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:06:15 -0400
sha1:QVBfEZo5ciA964ECI14SmCe4y8k=
 by: Radey Shouman - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:06 UTC

pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org> writes:

> On 2022-09-21, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I'm more likely to fail to hear the clock strike than to fail to know
>> the meaning of a written word that happens to be in my field of
>> vision.
>>
>> While paging through a long stretch of quoted gibberish to see whether
>> something had been said at the bottom, I happened to see the sentence
>> "Are you really against putting criminals in prison?"
>>
>> Yes, actually.
>>
>> Prisons are for people you can't afford to have running around loose.
>> Criminals should be working to earn money to pay back their victims,
>> or personally wielding wire brushes and paint remover to clean up the
>> messes they made.
>>

> I gues that's as good a model as any, as long as they don't run off and
> escape while they're busy paying off their debt to society.
>
> I've wondered what other cultures have done besides incarcaration over the
> centuries (providing it was not a capital offense, mind you.)..
>
> pH in Aptos

Corporal punishment, hard labor (salt mines, anyone? galleys?), fines,
public shaming/humiliation (day in the stocks?), shunning, exile,
outlawing. Feeding ordinary criminals in prisons for years on end would
have been prohibitively expensive for almost all human history. Prisons
were only for dangerous nobles and those rich enough to be debtors.

Re: Prison

<tgioko$2ancq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rec.bicycles.misc#195

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:46:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:46 UTC

On 2022-09-22, Radey Shouman <shouman@comcast.net> wrote:
> pH <wNOSPAMp@gmail.org> writes:
>
>> On 2022-09-21, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm more likely to fail to hear the clock strike than to fail to know
>>> the meaning of a written word that happens to be in my field of
>>> vision.
>>>
>>> While paging through a long stretch of quoted gibberish to see whether
>>> something had been said at the bottom, I happened to see the sentence
>>> "Are you really against putting criminals in prison?"
>>>
>>> Yes, actually.
>>>
>>> Prisons are for people you can't afford to have running around loose.
>>> Criminals should be working to earn money to pay back their victims,
>>> or personally wielding wire brushes and paint remover to clean up the
>>> messes they made.
>>>

>> I gues that's as good a model as any, as long as they don't run off and
>> escape while they're busy paying off their debt to society.
>>
>> I've wondered what other cultures have done besides incarcaration over the
>> centuries (providing it was not a capital offense, mind you.)..
>>
>> pH in Aptos
>
> Corporal punishment, hard labor (salt mines, anyone? galleys?), fines,
> public shaming/humiliation (day in the stocks?), shunning, exile,
> outlawing. Feeding ordinary criminals in prisons for years on end would
> have been prohibitively expensive for almost all human history. Prisons
> were only for dangerous nobles and those rich enough to be debtors.

Ahh...this all makes sense. Especially your last sentence. Question
answered. Thanks!

pH