He's dead, Jim.

computers / comp.mobile.android / MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

SubjectAuthor
* MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governmenNewsKrawler
+* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request ofSilverSlimer
|`* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive goverYour Name
| +* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request ofSilverSlimer
| |`- Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive goverGronk
| `* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive goverGronk
|  +- Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the requestChris
|  `* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request ofSilverSlimer
|   `- Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governospam
+* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request ofsms
|`- Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive goverNewsKrawler
`* Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive goverJohn Doe
 `- Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request ofSilverSlimer

1
MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sflv4p$lle8$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19283&group=comp.mobile.android#19283

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:59:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:59 UTC

https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/

Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.

"Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes, they'll
refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan for
political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will follow
the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
removal."

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<x3wTI.2031$Qa2.129@fx21.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19287&group=comp.mobile.android#19287

Subject: Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of
oppressive governments
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:57:02 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 16:57 UTC

On 2021-08-19 11:59 a.m., NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/
>
> Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.
>
> "Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
> firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes, they'll
> refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan for
> political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will follow
> the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
> removal."

Nothing says "liberation!" like having any access to the truth blocked
from you by Apple.

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfmh26$15i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19299&group=comp.mobile.android#19299

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
oppressive governments
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:05:09 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:05 UTC

On 8/19/2021 8:59 AM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/
>
> Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.
>
> "Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
> firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes, they'll
> refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan for
> political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will follow
> the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
> removal."

All the VPN providers advise users to install their VPN apps prior to
traveling to China, since once you're there it's not possible to obtain
and install them.

Last time I was in China was in 2019. The hotel I was in didn't prevent
access to sites that are normally off limits in China to Chinese
citizens (Google, Facebook, etc.), but it was a higher-end hotel,
primarily for tourists, business people, and diplomats, and the
government knows that those guests would be upset at not having full
internet access. But I still used my VPN for privacy.

When I was in China about seven years earlier, staying in small local
hotels, that I was paying for myself, a VPN was necessary to access my
e-mail and Facebook. Also, if you use a data SIM card from Hong Kong,
there was no blockage of any sites (though now maybe that has changed, I
don't know).

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfmine$ocpj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19300&group=comp.mobile.android#19300

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:33:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:33 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 3:05:09 PM, sms wrote:
> All the VPN providers advise users to install their VPN apps prior to
> traveling to China, since once you're there it's not possible to obtain
> and install them.

Given Apple has always done what China tells them to do, it's telling the
article said "Apple is building into the iPhone technical weaknesses which
are completely out of step from everything that Apple has previously been
saying."

*Apple's words are "out of step" with Apple's actions.*

Therefore it's good to know that the apps Apple removed from the China App
Store should be installed prior to entering China - but how do you know
China hasn't compromised their use when used inside of China where the
government controls everything?

The article says that what Apple is doing is lying by omission in that the
article claims Apple does whatever the Chinese government tells Apple to do.

As a result of this lying by omission two groups criticized the back doors.
Electronic Frontier Foundation
https://www.eff.org/
"*Mass surveillance is not an acceptable crime-fighting strategy*"

Center for Democracy & Technology
https://cdt.org/insights/what-could-go-wrong-apples-misguided-plans-to-gut-end-to-end-encryption/
"Apple's changes will create new risks for children, teens, and other
vulnerable people who depend on end-to-end encryption to communicate safely
online and will threaten the privacy and security of all users of Apple's
products."

> Last time I was in China was in 2019. The hotel I was in didn't prevent
> access to sites that are normally off limits in China to Chinese
> citizens (Google, Facebook, etc.), but it was a higher-end hotel,
> primarily for tourists, business people, and diplomats, and the
> government knows that those guests would be upset at not having full
> internet access. But I still used my VPN for privacy.

I was surprised the article said China made Apple remove the NYT app.
https://macdailynews.com/2017/01/04/apple-removes-new-york-times-apps-from-app-store-in-china-at-behest-of-chinese-government/

If Apple accedes to everything that China asks for, then the iPhone is
already hopelessly compromised as a mass surveillance tool for any
government that secretly asks Apple to surveil all its iPhone owners.

That's all their data (not just iCloud data).
That's all their iMessages (not just abusive parents).

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfmjku$1mfl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19301&group=comp.mobile.android#19301

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:49:18 +1200
 by: Your Name - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 21:49 UTC

On 2021-08-19 16:57:02 +0000, SilverSlimer said:
> On 2021-08-19 11:59 a.m., NewsKrawler wrote:
>> https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/
>>

>> Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.
>>
>> "Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
>> firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes, they'll
>> refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan for
>> political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will follow
>> the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
>> removal."
>
> Nothing says "liberation!" like having any access to the truth blocked
> from you by Apple.

Another moronic braindead anti-Apple crossposting troll to add to the
kilfile. :-\

Like every other company, Apple has to abide by local laws. Blame the
Chinese government, not Apple.

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<e7BTI.16890$tv2.14162@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19305&group=comp.mobile.android#19305

oppressive governments
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 18:42:18 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:42 UTC

On 2021-08-19 5:49 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-08-19 16:57:02 +0000, SilverSlimer said:
>> On 2021-08-19 11:59 a.m., NewsKrawler wrote:
>>> https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/
>>>

>>> Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.
>>>
>>> "Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
>>> firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes,
>>> they'll
>>> refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan
>>> for
>>> political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will
>>> follow
>>> the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
>>> removal."
>>
>> Nothing says "liberation!" like having any access to the truth blocked
>> from you by Apple.
>
> Another moronic braindead anti-Apple crossposting troll to add to the
> kilfile.  :-\
>
> Like every other company, Apple has to abide by local laws. Blame the
> Chinese government, not Apple.

Oh no! A person I've never seen before has filtered me on his Usenet
client. I must resist the urge to shed a tear!

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfnkqs$n62$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19308&group=comp.mobile.android#19308

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 01:15:58 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:15 UTC

Your Name wrote:
> Like every other company, Apple has to abide by local laws.

These Apple zealots don't realize that means whatever Apple "says" about
their intent to "refuse" a government request is completely meaningless.

*Apple will do whatever any government tells them to do in their country.*

And these governments _love_ the two new iPhone back doors Apple gave them.

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfnl0q$ngc$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19309&group=comp.mobile.android#19309

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 01:19:08 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:19 UTC

SilverSlimer wrote:
> Oh no! A person I've never seen before has filtered me on his Usenet
> client. I must resist the urge to shed a tear!

That Your Name character says that to anyone who says anything about Apple
that Your Name doesn't like to hear about what Apple is doing in the news.

What is always the case is this Your Name can't add anything to the topic.

The facts remain that whatever Apple says is meaningless because Apple has
always done exactly what they are told to do by the governments when served
with a legal request (many of which are not public knowledge).

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfnr4p$lei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19312&group=comp.mobile.android#19312

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request
of oppressive governments
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:03:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:flV1jw4JRfQ3Ul0+V0wrNxPFm5M=
 by: Chris - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:03 UTC

Gronk <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>> Like every other company, Apple has to abide by local laws.
>
> These Apple zealots

And you're desperate for attention hence why you keep nymshifting. If you
had anything useful to say people wouldn't keep killfiling you. Think about
it.

PLONK

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<CzNTI.2373$EG5.555@fx20.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19314&group=comp.mobile.android#19314

oppressive governments
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:51:46 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:51 UTC

On 2021-08-20 3:15 a.m., Gronk wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>> Like every other company, Apple has to abide by local laws.
>
> These Apple zealots don't realize that means whatever Apple "says" about
> their intent to "refuse" a government request is completely meaningless.
>
> *Apple will do whatever any government tells them to do in their country.*
>
> And these governments _love_ the two new iPhone back doors Apple gave them.

I should quickly mention that most celebrities are loyal to the Apple
iPhone and that they are routinely hacked, with their private photos
being uploaded the web soon thereafter.

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<200820210919512181%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19315&group=comp.mobile.android#19315

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:19:51 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:19 UTC

In article <CzNTI.2373$EG5.555@fx20.iad>, SilverSlimer <silver@slim.er>
wrote:

> I should quickly mention that most celebrities are loyal to the Apple
> iPhone and that they are routinely hacked, with their private photos
> being uploaded the web soon thereafter.

that was not a breach of apple or icloud, nor does it have anything to
do with apple.

they were phished and/or had easily guessed passwords.

the celebrities would have been hacked no matter what platform they
used because the problem was they didn't take security seriously.

many people foolishly use valid answers to the insecurity questions,
except that for celebrities, it's *very* easy to find that information.

for average ordinary people, it's slightly harder, but not impossible.

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<sfonso$mc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19327&group=comp.mobile.android#19327

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:14:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:14 UTC

Troll...

--
NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> From: NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org>
> Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Subject: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:59:22 -0000 (UTC)
>
> https://macdailynews.com/2021/08/13/apples-ill-considered-iphone-backdoor-has-employees-speaking-out-internally/
>
> Apple removed VPN apps from the App Store at the request of China.
>
> "Apple, which, under Tim Cook, has attached itself to the China teat so
> firmly as to be hopelessly compromised, is lying by omission. Yes, they'll
> refuse a 'request,' but what will they do when it becomes law to scan for
> political, religious, sexual orientation, etc. materials? Apple will follow
> the local laws, as they have in every known case of app banning/service
> removal."

Re: MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments

<XRSTI.42326$Oz2.32148@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19332&group=comp.mobile.android#19332

oppressive governments
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:52:40 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:52 UTC

On 2021-08-20 1:14 p.m., John Doe wrote:
> Troll...

Nope.

--
SilverSlimer
@silverslimer

computers / comp.mobile.android / MacDailyNews: Apple removes security apps at the request of oppressive governments