1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions

SubjectAuthor
* reel to reel to digital suggestionswAYNE
+* Re: reel to reel to digital suggestionsgeoff
|`- Re: reel to reel to digital suggestionswAYNE
`- Re: reel to reel to digital suggestionsScott Dorsey

1
reel to reel to digital suggestions

<th59ib$phel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1937&group=rec.audio.pro#1937

From: wayn...@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: reel to reel to digital suggestions
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:26:03 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 23:26 UTC

A friend of mine asked me today if I knew of anyone who transferred reel
to reel audio to digital. He has a few reels that he would like
converted. Suggestions of where he might be able to get this done in
the US welcome and thank you in advance.

Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions

<OeKdnXlndvJFGKv-nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1938&group=rec.audio.pro#1938

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:59:49 +1300
Subject: Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 05:59 UTC

On 30/09/2022 12:26 pm, wAYNE wrote:
> A friend of mine asked me today if I knew of anyone who transferred reel
> to reel audio to digital.  He has a few reels that he would like
> converted.  Suggestions of where he might be able to get this done in
> the US welcome and thank you in advance.

Somewhat vital to know what size tapes and what format ?

Regular old 1/4" 1/2", 1/4-track, half-track, mono/stereo, etc , etc

1/4" quarter-track stereo the most likely, unless 'pro' of some flavour.

geoff

Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions

<th6sgv$114d3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1939&group=rec.audio.pro#1939

From: wayn...@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:55:43 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:55 UTC

On 9/30/22 1:59 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 12:26 pm, wAYNE wrote:
>> A friend of mine asked me today if I knew of anyone who transferred
>> reel to reel audio to digital.  He has a few reels that he would like
>> converted.  Suggestions of where he might be able to get this done in
>> the US welcome and thank you in advance.
>>

> Somewhat vital to know what size tapes and what format ?
>
> Regular old 1/4" 1/2", 1/4-track,  half-track, mono/stereo, etc , etc
>
> 1/4" quarter-track stereo the most likely, unless 'pro' of some flavour.
>
> geoff

Ah, good questions, forgot to ask him. I will and report back. Thanks.

Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions

<th71vv$ljt$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1940&group=rec.audio.pro#1940

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 30 Sep 2022 15:29:03 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:29 UTC

In article <th59ib$phel$1@dont-email.me>,
wAYNE <wayne34@no_verizon.net> wrote:
>A friend of mine asked me today if I knew of anyone who transferred reel
>to reel audio to digital. He has a few reels that he would like
>converted. Suggestions of where he might be able to get this done in
>the US welcome and thank you in advance.

What format are they and what needs to be done with them? Acetate or mylar,
sticky or not? Half track, quarter track, or something wider?

Are there tones? Good tones may playback WAY easier.

For a long time I recommended Steve Puntolillo's _Sonicraft_ operation, which
did great work on a tremendous variety of formats. However, the folks who
have bought it from Steve don't seem to be good about traffic management.
They still do great work but getting them to get work completed can be an
issue.

Still, if it's a dictation tape or something like that, it's probably not
worth sending to a shop like that. And if it's from a weird machine (most
notably rim-drive Japanese home recorders that don't have constant speed
capstans) you may want to send it to an archive operation like Richard Hess.
--scott

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: reel to reel to digital suggestions