From: mcp6...@gmail.com (mcp6453)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Tape Head Cleaner
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:24:36 -0400
 by: mcp6453 - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:24 UTC

I've always used denatured alcohol to clean tape heads. At the moment, I
have a head with some black gunk on it that I cannot get off. At times,
I've seen other chemicals recommended, but I don't remember what the
are, and I dare not try anything that has a chance of harming the head.
The two chemical names I remember are MEK and Naphtha.

Re: Tape Head Cleaner

<63431690.22728171@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1957&group=rec.audio.pro#1957

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Tape Head Cleaner
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 18:45:10 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:45 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:24:36 -0400, mcp6453 <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've always used denatured alcohol to clean tape heads. At the moment, I
>have a head with some black gunk on it that I cannot get off. At times,
>I've seen other chemicals recommended, but I don't remember what the
>are, and I dare not try anything that has a chance of harming the head.
>The two chemical names I remember are MEK and Naphtha.

Saliva will remove about anything. Follow up with alcohol for a final
cleaning.

Re: Tape Head Cleaner

<thv5t3$r06$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1958&group=rec.audio.pro#1958

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 9 Oct 2022 19:02:59 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:02 UTC

In article <thv04l$hqek$1@dont-email.me>, mcp6453 <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've always used denatured alcohol to clean tape heads. At the moment, I
>have a head with some black gunk on it that I cannot get off. At times,
>I've seen other chemicals recommended, but I don't remember what the
>are, and I dare not try anything that has a chance of harming the head.
>The two chemical names I remember are MEK and Naphtha.

If you have goo from sticky tapes, xylene will get it off. Naptha probably
will too, but will be much less aggressive than xylene. MEK is a lot more
aggressive and will almost certainly work, but is pretty toxic stuff.
Hardware store xylene will be fine, just follow it with a good cleaning with
alcohol.

Do not be afraid to use some elbow grease! You won't damage the head with
your thumb, even putting some good force on it.

Also... 92% isopropanol is a more effective solvent than 92% denatured
alcohol, and it costs less. You can get high purity isopropanol at the
drugstore for cheap... if it isn't next to the rubbing alcohol ask at
the counter. Not that there is anything wrong with denatured.

The generic "Ampex Head Cleaner" used to be xylene until it was replaced with
Freon TF for safety. Now that you can't get TF anymore....
--scott