Reactor error - core dumped!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: how to keep google maps always on

SubjectAuthor
* how to keep google maps always onmicky
+* Re: how to keep google maps always onJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
| `* Re: how to keep google maps always onAndy Burns
|  +- Re: how to keep google maps always onVanguardLH
|  `* Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
|   `* Re: how to keep google maps always onVanguardLH
|    `* Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
|     `* Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
|      `- Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
+- Re: how to keep google maps always onVanguardLH
+- Re: how to keep google maps always onRichmond
`* Re: how to keep google maps always onRichmond
 `* Re: how to keep google maps always onVanguardLH
  `* Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky
   `* Re: how to keep google maps always onVanguardLH
    `- Re: how to keep google maps always onmicky

1
how to keep google maps always on

<v1emhg9lf8dbpmrai7s88l1q5671o8rve2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19058&group=comp.mobile.android#19058

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: how to keep google maps always on
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 00:52:00 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 04:52 UTC

How do you make the google maps screen stay on all the time? So when I
look at it I see a map and not a black screen.

I'm not using it to give me directions; I just want to see the map and
the dot that shows where I am.

A few years ago, google maps itself suggested a different google maps
icon that did stay on all the time, but that icon disappeared with an
earlier phone.

I have it set in Settingsto stay on as long as it is charging and it's
always charging when i'm in the car, but that doesnt' seem to work
either.

So I got an app that makes the screen in general stay on all the time,
but it's a little less convenient than it could be and lately it's not
even working. (FWIW I have to start it, turn it to On, and once I get
where I'm going, I have to separately turn it off, probably. Then start
all over if I go somewhere else.) Still, if you have an app like this
that satisfies you, i'd be grateful for the name.

Googling "how to keep google maps always on" gives old pages with ideas
that I can't seem to implement in the current version of Maps.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<sffo2o$t5b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19059&group=comp.mobile.android#19059

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: how to keep google maps always on
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:22:00 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 07:22 UTC

Am 17.08.21 um 06:52 schrieb micky:
> How do you make the google maps screen stay on all the time? So when I
> look at it I see a map and not a black screen.
>
> I'm not using it to give me directions; I just want to see the map and
> the dot that shows where I am.

In the navigation mode it always stays on if you do not manually turn
the display off. You can even activate the function that the screen goes
on only when new directions ar given and then turns black again to save
energy. On a bike this is very useful.

When you want it always on you have to change the settings for the display.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<4fsnhgp6272ee1gh7lo6kb7q2718b9onuo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19068&group=comp.mobile.android#19068

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 13:34:59 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:34 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:22:00 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 17.08.21 um 06:52 schrieb micky:
>> How do you make the google maps screen stay on all the time? So when I
>> look at it I see a map and not a black screen.
>>
>> I'm not using it to give me directions; I just want to see the map and
>> the dot that shows where I am.
>
>In the navigation mode it always stays on if you do not manually turn

Doesn't havigation mode mean you've entered a destination and it
displays a suggested route, which would keep changing since I'm just
going for a drive, often not going any place in particular. The thick
colored route line is quite a distraction, especially when it moves, as
well as IIUC the fact that part of the screen is covered by by headers
and footers in navigation mode. I'd like to have the map fill the
whole screen as it does when I start up Map.

>the display off. You can even activate the function that the screen goes
>on only when new directions ar given and then turns black again to save
>energy. On a bike this is very useful.
>
>When you want it always on you have to change the settings for the display.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<io2at8Fio9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19069&group=comp.mobile.android#19069

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:45:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:45 UTC

micky wrote:

> Doesn't havigation mode mean you've entered a destination and it
> displays a suggested route, which would keep changing since I'm just
> going for a drive, often not going any place in particular.

long press in a blank space on your home screen, go to widgets and drag
the "maps driving mode" widget to the home screen, when you start maps
that way, you don't have to set a destination, it'll just track you
around on the map.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<1lz0oc40fffgv$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19070&group=comp.mobile.android#19070

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 12:47:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:47 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> How do you make the google maps screen stay on all the time? So when I
> look at it I see a map and not a black screen.
>
> I'm not using it to give me directions; I just want to see the map and
> the dot that shows where I am.
>
> A few years ago, google maps itself suggested a different google maps
> icon that did stay on all the time, but that icon disappeared with an
> earlier phone.
>
> I have it set in Settingsto stay on as long as it is charging and it's
> always charging when i'm in the car, but that doesnt' seem to work
> either.
>
> So I got an app that makes the screen in general stay on all the time,
> but it's a little less convenient than it could be and lately it's not
> even working. (FWIW I have to start it, turn it to On, and once I get
> where I'm going, I have to separately turn it off, probably. Then start
> all over if I go somewhere else.) Still, if you have an app like this
> that satisfies you, i'd be grateful for the name.
>
> Googling "how to keep google maps always on" gives old pages with ideas
> that I can't seem to implement in the current version of Maps.

I'd have to wander around to see if the following works, but I'll leave
the test up to you to perform.

Load the Android Auto app. Tap the right-arrowed yield icon to start
navigation. Your location is shown in the center. Simply do not start
a navigation. Just leave Maps on that initial screen while moving
around. Does the blue dot move around as you move around?

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<84fsv83q0x.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19071&group=comp.mobile.android#19071

From: richm...@criptext.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:05:50 +0100
 by: Richmond - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:05 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> writes:

> How do you make the google maps screen stay on all the time? So when I
> look at it I see a map and not a black screen.
>
> I'm not using it to give me directions; I just want to see the map and
> the dot that shows where I am.
>

> A few years ago, google maps itself suggested a different google maps
> icon that did stay on all the time, but that icon disappeared with an
> earlier phone.
>
> I have it set in Settingsto stay on as long as it is charging and it's
> always charging when i'm in the car, but that doesnt' seem to work
> either.
>
> So I got an app that makes the screen in general stay on all the time,
> but it's a little less convenient than it could be and lately it's not
> even working. (FWIW I have to start it, turn it to On, and once I get
> where I'm going, I have to separately turn it off, probably. Then start
> all over if I go somewhere else.) Still, if you have an app like this
> that satisfies you, i'd be grateful for the name.
>

> Googling "how to keep google maps always on" gives old pages with ideas
> that I can't seem to implement in the current version of Maps.

With android 10 and probably earlier ones, you can switch on developer
mode, and then there is an option to stop the phone going to sleep while
connected to the charger.

To switch on developer mode you go into the system settings where it
gives the build number and tap on it seven times, or maybe four times?

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<84bl5w3ps2.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19072&group=comp.mobile.android#19072

From: richm...@criptext.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:11:09 +0100
 by: Richmond - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:11 UTC

Here it is, it's called "stay awake".

https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<1s664m1p1fuxd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19073&group=comp.mobile.android#19073

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 13:11:17 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:11 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
>> Doesn't havigation mode mean you've entered a destination and it
>> displays a suggested route, which would keep changing since I'm just
>> going for a drive, often not going any place in particular.
>
> long press in a blank space on your home screen, go to widgets and drag
> the "maps driving mode" widget to the home screen, when you start maps
> that way, you don't have to set a destination, it'll just track you
> around on the map.

After using Google Maps Driving Mode, an icon appears in the
notification area (an upward chevron-arrow). It will remain there until
you tap on that notification to select Exit. Alternatively, and if you
want the Maps app to stay loaded but no longer in driving mode, tap the
back-arrow at the top to move back to the main screen of the app.

Does Google Maps Driving Mode keep the screen from timing out to go
black which is what the OP wanted after loading the Maps app? I haven't
tested the screen doesn't idle timeout to go blank with my solution,
either (using the map from Android Auto).

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<1v1ftehjdnxc5.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19074&group=comp.mobile.android#19074

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:08:05 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 20:08 UTC

Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:

> Here it is, it's called "stay awake".
>
> https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options

From the OP:
"I have it set in Settingsto stay on as long as it is charging and it's
always charging when i'm in the car, but that doesnt' seem to work
either."

Looks like micky already enabled that option, but the screen still
blanks when plugged into the charger. Instead of testing with his car,
he should test at home with a charger plugged into an always-on wall
outlet. With the charger always on, if the screen still goes blank then
he has his phone misconfigured, or is using an app that blanks the
screen. I don't use any battery saver setting, so micky may need to
visit his battery saver settings to /not/ power down anything.

I have that setting enabled for my phone, and the screen stays on (never
blanks) when on the charger at home. My home charger is always on
(always plugged in) whether or not the phone is connected to it. For
micky, maybe he is using a power port (aka cigarette lighter) or USB
port in his car that gets disabled when the car is turned off. That
means there is no charger when he turns off his car, like he goes
grocery shopping, parks his car (stops it), and by the time he comes
back the phone's screen has blanked. Micky will have to test whatever
power source he uses in his car does not go dead when the engine is
stopped. If it does go dead, and if he turns off his car, he will need
a different power source as the charger inside his car, like a portable
power bank.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<m59rhg94kmn6p8agth1384muevmtube8oq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19230&group=comp.mobile.android#19230

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:43:58 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 00:43 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:08:05 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:
>
>> Here it is, it's called "stay awake".
>>
>> https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options
>
>From the OP:
>"I have it set in Settingsto stay on as long as it is charging and it's
>always charging when i'm in the car, but that doesnt' seem to work
>either."
>
>Looks like micky already enabled that option, but the screen still
>blanks when plugged into the charger. Instead of testing with his car,
>he should test at home with a charger plugged into an always-on wall
>outlet. With the charger always on, if the screen still goes blank then
>he has his phone misconfigured, or is using an app that blanks the
>screen.

I"m not aware of any app like that, and I dont' have many running.

I don't start accu-battery, but maybe it runs anyhow. But it has
nothing in the settings about blanking the screen.

(Re: another thread, I also don't have Do Not Disturb turned on, so this
is not the reason I dont' get beeps at 80% charge.)

Under Settings there is BAttery and Device Care, but it just says how
much battery, storage, memory is used, if Device Protection (whateer
that is) is on or not, and has an Optimize Now button that brings me
back up to 100. Nothing about screen saver.

The owners manual added nothing to this. ;-(

>I don't use any battery saver setting, so micky may need to
>visit his battery saver settings to /not/ power down anything.

There are none afaict except for Always on when charging, which I have
set.

>I have that setting enabled for my phone, and the screen stays on (never
>blanks) when on the charger at home. My home charger is always on
>(always plugged in) whether or not the phone is connected to it. For
>micky, maybe he is using a power port (aka cigarette lighter) or USB
>port in his car that gets disabled when the car is turned off. That

I also have one that stays on all the time, but yes, I'm using one that
turns off. But I would not count occasions when turning off the car
causes the phone's screen to go blank. That would be silly. I just
light up the screen again.

I'm talking about times when I have been continuously running the car
and the phone, plugged in, and it still goes blank.

>means there is no charger when he turns off his car, like he goes
>grocery shopping, parks his car (stops it), and by the time he comes
>back the phone's screen has blanked. Micky will have to test whatever
>power source he uses in his car does not go dead when the engine is
>stopped. If it does go dead, and if he turns off his car, he will need
>a different power source as the charger inside his car, like a portable
>power bank.

I usually take the phone with me when I leave the car. (Plus I
converted my original cig lighter to always on, with a USB charger (and
installed a separate fast charge usb port).)

There are loads of apps that are supposed to keep the sceen always on.
Not as convenient as only keeping maps on, but...

So I tried another one and it turns out to be mroe convenient than the
one I have (which also doesn't seem to work anymore). The first one you
have to wait until it starts, then tap the light bulb to set. This new
one, you just tap the icon on the screen and it changes status. Much
better.

Thank you all. I thought this woudl be a hard one.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<maarhgpdgqroqth93ohvn4jekrml2mh3qu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19231&group=comp.mobile.android#19231

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:46:38 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 00:46 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:45:11 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Doesn't havigation mode mean you've entered a destination and it
>> displays a suggested route, which would keep changing since I'm just
>> going for a drive, often not going any place in particular.
>
>long press in a blank space on your home screen, go to widgets and drag
>the "maps driving mode" widget to the home screen,

I got the Maps widget to the home screen (although unfortunately it
became the only item on the newly created 4th panel of the home screen.)

> when you start maps
>that way, you don't have to set a destination, it'll just track you
>around on the map.

But I coudlnt' get that part to work. Required a destination and then
acted like it had before.

I only found the Maps widget, not a widget labeled maps driving mode.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<gyh06nb6xsfx$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19257&group=comp.mobile.android#19257

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:10:13 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:10 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I'm talking about times when I have been continuously running the car
> and the phone, plugged in, and it still goes blank.

I have an old 2002 car. It's cigarette lighter goes off when I turn off
the car. I have a charger in the cigarette lighter that has a 2.4A
charging port; however, when I'm driving off, the phone's battery still
gets drained. It gets drained slower, but the charging port is not
sufficient to offset or even exceed the power consumption by my phone
when driving around using Google Maps. I'm starting to suspect the 2.4A
charging port is way overrated, and may have to find another. (*)

(*) It's actually an Bluetooth/FM transmitter with a regular and a
charging port plugged into the cigarette lighter. My phone connects
via Bluetooth to the transmitter which connects via FM to my radio, so
I can hear driving directions through my car's speakers when using
Google Maps. Since I'm using Bluetooth from phone to transmitter, I
don't always plug in the USB cable to the charging port, and I'm sorry
later after driving a lot using Maps when I notice my battery level is
a lot farther down than I thought it should be, almost like the
charging port isn't keep up or exceeding the phone's consumption.

Is the power source you plug your phone into rated higher than a USB
load? Even USB3 only provides 0.9A which probably means your phone will
eat more power than it gets fed. Do you have a charging power source
for the phone that goes to 2.4A or 3A?

When your phone is plugged into a power source in your car, and after
the phone goes black, what's the battery level when you unlock your
phone?

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<7jyhgs3tzkzl.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19258&group=comp.mobile.android#19258

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:12:56 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:12 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I only found the Maps widget, not a widget labeled maps driving mode.

On my phone, when looking at the list of widgets, the Google Maps item
is actually several different widgets grouped together. You tap the
Maps entry in the widgets list, and then select which of those widgets
to use.

Android version? Could be yours is too old.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<kd2shgpsh0238jip0nmrjcremp2qg4efnr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19266&group=comp.mobile.android#19266

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:58:20 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 07:58 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:10:13 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about times when I have been continuously running the car
>> and the phone, plugged in, and it still goes blank.
>
>I have an old 2002 car. It's cigarette lighter goes off when I turn off
>the car. I have a charger in the cigarette lighter that has a 2.4A
>charging port; however, when I'm driving off, the phone's battery still
>gets drained. It gets drained slower, but the charging port is not
>sufficient to offset or even exceed the power consumption by my phone
>when driving around using Google Maps. I'm starting to suspect the 2.4A
>charging port is way overrated, and may have to find another. (*)

I had times when it wasn't even charging, so I got a charger for the cig
lighter that had a light on it. And still there was a time or two that
the light was off and I didn't notice it. So last spring I drilled a
couple more holes and put in one hole a dedicated USB port with QC3
charging.

Like this but they have many, in different colors, with lids at the
side, with on/off switches, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PP913DB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or if the url is not good, like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-ADSDIA-Aluminum-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B07PP913DB/ref=sr_1_8

(I put in the other hole a better cig lighter that with the right cig
plug would lock the plug in, and I put the plug on my tire pump (which
had melted a few months ago and melted the Y gizmo I was just using for
fun, and blown the fuse, somehow all at the same time.

(And I added a gizmo that connects my phone to the radio, and in a 3rd
hole I put in an AUX/USB port for the gizmo)

So I have no doubt the phone is charging continuously....

But if you gave me the right widget, it won't require me to be charging,
so we'll see soon.

> (*) It's actually an Bluetooth/FM transmitter with a regular and a
> charging port plugged into the cigarette lighter. My phone connects
> via Bluetooth to the transmitter which connects via FM to my radio, so
> I can hear driving directions through my car's speakers when using
> Google Maps. Since I'm using Bluetooth from phone to transmitter, I
> don't always plug in the USB cable to the charging port, and I'm sorry
> later after driving a lot using Maps when I notice my battery level is
> a lot farther down than I thought it should be, almost like the
> charging port isn't keep up or exceeding the phone's consumption.
>
>Is the power source you plug your phone into rated higher than a USB
>load? Even USB3 only provides 0.9A which probably means your phone will
>eat more power than it gets fed. Do you have a charging power source
>for the phone that goes to 2.4A or 3A?

That's bad for charging but it should still meet the standard, Don't
turn off screen when phone is charging.

>When your phone is plugged into a power source in your car, and after
>the phone goes black, what's the battery level when you unlock your
>phone?

Dunno, but I think your widget is all I need. (I had no idea there
were so many widgets or where they were. )

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<fa1shgdq1bomvtfiolskuukc1ltoh2ukia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19267&group=comp.mobile.android#19267

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:59:00 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 07:59 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:12:56 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I only found the Maps widget, not a widget labeled maps driving mode.
>
>On my phone, when looking at the list of widgets, the Google Maps item
>is actually several different widgets grouped together. You tap the
>Maps entry in the widgets list, and then select which of those widgets
>to use.
>
>Android version? Could be yours is too old.

I have android 11. " released in September 2020"

The phone is only a little over 2 years old.

Samsung Galaxy A30.

I see that my last update ws May 31, but it says my software is up to
date.

BUT, I TRIED IT AGAIN AND THIS TIME after I read what you have above I
NOTICED EACH WIDGET HAD A NUMBER MANY TIMES THE NUMBER WAS 1, BUT FOR
MAPS IT WAS 5 AND YOU could move from one to the other. So number 2 was
drivign modde and I put it on page 4, but was able to slide it to page
2, the start up page.

I'll test this next time I'm in the car, tomorrow maybe. But I think
this is probably it. The icon looks familiar from that one years ago.

THANK YOU, A LOT.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<fumjighruu62edpku5r3p0rcoa32ugp2jr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19632&group=comp.mobile.android#19632

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:49:46 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 06:49 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:59:00 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:12:56 -0500, VanguardLH
><V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I only found the Maps widget, not a widget labeled maps driving mode.
>>
>>On my phone, when looking at the list of widgets, the Google Maps item
>>is actually several different widgets grouped together. You tap the
>>Maps entry in the widgets list, and then select which of those widgets
>>to use.
>>
>>Android version? Could be yours is too old.
>
>I have android 11. " released in September 2020"
>
>The phone is only a little over 2 years old.
>
>Samsung Galaxy A30.
>
>I see that my last update ws May 31, but it says my software is up to
>date.
>
>BUT, I TRIED IT AGAIN AND THIS TIME after I read what you have above I
>NOTICED EACH WIDGET HAD A NUMBER MANY TIMES THE NUMBER WAS 1, BUT FOR
>MAPS IT WAS 5 AND YOU could move from one to the other. So number 2 was
>drivign modde and I put it on page 4, but was able to slide it to page
>2, the start up page.
>
>I'll test this next time I'm in the car, tomorrow maybe. But I think
>this is probably it. The icon looks familiar from that one years ago.
>
>THANK YOU, A LOT.

I've onoy been in the car a few times and not for that long, and twice
the screen went to 60 or 70% brightness (after more time than the noreal
black out setting is) , but it never blacked out, and tapping the screen
brought it back to full brightnes, and one time it was fully bright
maybe for hours.

So this is very good. I'll try to find a pattern but I think it will
get even better.

Thanks again.

Re: how to keep google maps always on

<qinjigtb7q26khbujj4kt1ubicui0daovm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19633&group=comp.mobile.android#19633

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:59:08 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 06:59 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:49:46 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:59:00 -0400, micky
><NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:12:56 -0500, VanguardLH
>><V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>>On my phone, when looking at the list of widgets, the Google Maps item
>>>is actually several different widgets grouped together. You tap the
>>>Maps entry in the widgets list, and then select which of those widgets
>>>to use.

BTW, I had googled and no one I looked at suggested the widget. Someone
suggested driving mode iirc but it sounded like, and I think the
directions he gave still made it sound like, that was accessible from
the normal icon.