Variables don't; constants aren't.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Updates are no more on a Poco F1

SubjectAuthor
* Updates are no more on a Poco F1Dan
+* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1AJL
|+* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1bill
||+* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1AJL
|||`* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1bill
||| `- Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1AJL
||+* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Ken Blake
|||`* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1bill
||| `- Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Ken Blake
||`- Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Chris
|`* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Chris Green
| `- Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Dan
`* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1VanguardLH
 `* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Dan
  `* Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1VanguardLH
   `- Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1Dan

1
Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<se9pigle1eg7jickjh13coi9fenl0un6bc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19774&group=comp.mobile.android#19774

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Updates are no more on a Poco F1
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 10:39:44 +0100
 by: Dan - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:39 UTC

I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.

Even Samsung has stated a few weeks ago they will be offering 4 years
updates for their recent models. Apple offer even more, so I am an
Android user for so many years am thinking of either getting a Nokia
X50 Pro when it is released in the UK or even buying a Apple iPhone.

Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
not.

So in the long term it will lose out in sales.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgiu00$1frd$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19796&group=comp.mobile.android#19796

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:37:35 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:37 UTC

On 8/30/2021 2:39 AM, Dan wrote:
> I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
> Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.

> Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
> not.
>
> So in the long term it will lose out in sales.

Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone (or
laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.

When I bought my Chromebook I lost a couple of years of updates because
I bought it late in the cycle for cheap. But I didn't realize it until I
got it home. Still would have bought it though...

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgiud8$1n4h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19797&group=comp.mobile.android#19797

From: bil...@spam.invalid (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:44:40 +0200
 by: bill - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:44 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:37:35 -0700, AJL wrote:
> Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone (or
> laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.

This is important!
This is what iPhone owners don't get but Android/Linux/Windows owners do.

When you buy a car, do you worry that they will update the electronics?
No, right?

You know that they're updating electronics every day, right?
But it doesn't really matter for the car you're buying as it works fine.

Same with Android owners.
We don't worry about the software update level as it's not important.

Apple makes Apple owners "think" it's super important when it's not.
(But they are just stupid as they buy almost exclusively on "fear")
> When I bought my Chromebook I lost a couple of years of updates because
> I bought it late in the cycle for cheap. But I didn't realize it until I
> got it home. Still would have bought it though...

Android owners typically understand the marketing of the version game.

If you had Windows, does it really matter if it's Win7 or Windows 10?
Must you really have Windows 11 just because it exists?

Those who do deserve what they get.
Those who don't are practical people.

We Android owners are pragmatic people.
Whatever version we have now is working for us just fine, isn't it?

Mine is.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgivrt$ft1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19802&group=comp.mobile.android#19802

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:09:31 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:09 UTC

On 8/30/2021 8:44 AM, bill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:37:35 -0700, AJL wrote:

>> Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone
>> (or laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.
>
> This is important! This is what iPhone owners don't get but
> Android/Linux/Windows owners do.

You messed up. You didn't include the iGroups for baiting purposes.

> When you buy a car, do you worry that they will update the
> electronics? No, right?

My Buick has never updated its maps in 5 years. It says my grandkids new
house is in the middle of a field... 8-O

> You know that they're updating electronics every day, right? But it
> doesn't really matter for the car you're buying as it works fine.
>
> Same with Android owners. We don't worry about the software update
> level as it's not important.

I like my (Android) phone to be up to date since I do all my sensitive
stuff on it.

> Apple makes Apple owners "think" it's super important when it's not.
> (But they are just stupid as they buy almost exclusively on "fear")

The wife just bought a new iPad. Loves it. I got the old one to play
with. Still works great. Biggest thing I miss though is that little back
button at the bottom...

> Android owners typically understand the marketing of the version
> game.

Yep. My Android phone shoves updates in my face. Do it now or schedule
it you dip...

> If you had Windows, does it really matter if it's Win7 or Windows 10?
> Must you really have Windows 11 just because it exists?

Nope. Just so it's safe to do sensitive stuff. AMEX just sent me an
email wanting me to update my income info. Nosy turds, huh.

> We Android owners are pragmatic people. Whatever version we have now
> is working for us just fine, isn't it?

Yes, we are definitely the chosen ones...

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<8ecvvh-daq41.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19804&group=comp.mobile.android#19804

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:09:12 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:09 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/2021 2:39 AM, Dan wrote:
> > I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
> > Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.
>
> > Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
> > not.
> >
> > So in the long term it will lose out in sales.
>
> Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone (or
> laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.

It was *one* of the main things I checked when buying mine recently,
the main criteria were:-

Sensible price ('cheap' for most of you, it was about $150)
Android 11 as standard as possible, with updates preferably
Long[ish] battery life
Lots of memory

Answer (for me anyway) an Umidigi Bison which also happens to be
tough and waterproof which are additional good ideas for me.

I've had it for a few months now and the OS has been updated twice.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<nf1qigh3n3stumclvr20iom36ip4mq5k1l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19806&group=comp.mobile.android#19806

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:29:42 +0100
 by: Dan - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:29 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:09:12 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>> On 8/30/2021 2:39 AM, Dan wrote:
>> > I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
>> > Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.
>>
>> > Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
>> > not.
>> >
>> > So in the long term it will lose out in sales.
>>
>> Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone (or
>> laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.
>>
>It was *one* of the main things I checked when buying mine recently,
>the main criteria were:-
>
> Sensible price ('cheap' for most of you, it was about $150)
> Android 11 as standard as possible, with updates preferably
> Long[ish] battery life
> Lots of memory
>
>Answer (for me anyway) an Umidigi Bison which also happens to be
>tough and waterproof which are additional good ideas for me.
>
>I've had it for a few months now and the OS has been updated twice.

Exactly, it is important to me. That is why I chose this phone. As far
as I know
it is on the Android One program. So it should still be getting
updates.
My fathers phone, is a Honor (Huawei). It gets security updates
a month or so after Pixel series.
But this is most probably the last Xiaomai I will ever buy.
They really need to get their heads out of the ground. So
many people bought a F1 due to its Android One program
and powerful (even now) hardware.
I am not talking about a flame war between Apple vs Android
but a decent level of support.
Since I am employed by the UK NHS, I can get up to 10% off any iPhone.
It looks tempting due to Android One program from Xiaomai not being
taken seriously.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgj15l$15eg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19809&group=comp.mobile.android#19809

From: bil...@spam.invalid (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:31:49 +0200
 by: bill - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:31 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:09:31 -0700, AJL wrote:
> The wife just bought a new iPad. Loves it. I got the old one to play
> with. Still works great.

You missed the iGroups for baiting purposes.
BTW, I'm curious, but please keep this on the Android newsgroup.
I'm curious what does your $$$ iThing do that $ Android doesn't do?

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgj2e4$1rq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19811&group=comp.mobile.android#19811

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:53:22 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:53 UTC

On 8/30/2021 9:31 AM, bill wrote:

> I'm curious what does your [wife's] $$$ iThing do that $ Android
> doesn't do?

It makes the wife happy. Happy wife, happy life...

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<ip4qlbFl49gU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19820&group=comp.mobile.android#19820

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:42:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:42 UTC

On 8/30/2021 8:44 AM, bill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:37:35 -0700, AJL wrote:

> If you had Windows, does it really matter if it's Win7 or Windows 10?
> Must you really have Windows 11 just because it exists?

Not everybody must have it, but many people need the newer version of
Windows sooner or later. They need it because they require or desire a
new piece of hardwar or software that won't run on the older version.

--
Ken

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<1h62a7704i76b.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19841&group=comp.mobile.android#19841

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:50:51 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:50 UTC

Dan <none@none.com> wrote:

> I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
> Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.
>
> Even Samsung has stated a few weeks ago they will be offering 4 years
> updates for their recent models. Apple offer even more, so I am an
> Android user for so many years am thinking of either getting a Nokia
> X50 Pro when it is released in the UK or even buying a Apple iPhone.
>
> Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
> not.
>
> So in the long term it will lose out in sales.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/poco-global-spin-off-independent-brand-separate-xiaomi-m3-smartphone-2330007
(dated 10 months ago)

"One of these". That's the Poco F1? It was discontinued 16 months ago.

https://pokde.net/news/the-pocophone-f1-has-been-discontinued-officially
"But it’s not because POCO doesn’t want the POCOPHONE F1 to compete
against the new POCO X2, but because Qualcomm no longer makes the
Snapdragon 845 chipset."

I don't see it listed at https://www.po.co/global/. However:

https://piunikaweb.com/poco-f1-pocophone-f1-news-bugs-issues-problems-and-new-updates/

lists some updates in January to August of 2021.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<v2lrig13re8hrkj55tfci4ski6oh11qef4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19860&group=comp.mobile.android#19860

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:05:03 +0100
 by: Dan - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:05 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:50:51 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Dan <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a one of these phones, it has not been updated since Dec 2020.
>> Xiaomai which as far as I know spun off the Poco brand.
>>
>> Even Samsung has stated a few weeks ago they will be offering 4 years
>> updates for their recent models. Apple offer even more, so I am an
>> Android user for so many years am thinking of either getting a Nokia
>> X50 Pro when it is released in the UK or even buying a Apple iPhone.
>>
>> Security updates should be important to Xiaomai, but it is clearly
>> not.
>>
>> So in the long term it will lose out in sales.
>
>https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/poco-global-spin-off-independent-brand-separate-xiaomi-m3-smartphone-2330007
>(dated 10 months ago)
>
>"One of these". That's the Poco F1? It was discontinued 16 months ago.
>
>https://pokde.net/news/the-pocophone-f1-has-been-discontinued-officially
>"But it’s not because POCO doesn’t want the POCOPHONE F1 to compete
>against the new POCO X2, but because Qualcomm no longer makes the
>Snapdragon 845 chipset."
>
>I don't see it listed at https://www.po.co/global/. However:
>
>https://piunikaweb.com/poco-f1-pocophone-f1-news-bugs-issues-problems-and-new-updates/
>
>lists some updates in January to August of 2021.

Yes it is no longer made, but it still is part of Android One. So it
should still be getting security updates.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgknhi$10gk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19862&group=comp.mobile.android#19862

From: bil...@spam.invalid (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:59:46 +0200
 by: bill - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 07:59 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:42:35 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> asked
> Not everybody must have it, but many people need the newer version of
> Windows sooner or later. They need it because they require or desire a
> new piece of hardwar or software that won't run on the older version.

Think about what the functional difference is between the release numbers.

Can't the average person do as well with Windows 7 as with Windows 11.
Can't the average person do as well with Android 7 as with Android 11.

What's on Android 11 that you must have that isn't on Android 7 anyway?
What's on Windows 11 that you must have that isn't on Windows 7 anyway?

What?

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sw593w1d453q$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19870&group=comp.mobile.android#19870

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:53:54 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:53 UTC

Dan <none@none.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:50:51 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> https://piunikaweb.com/poco-f1-pocophone-f1-news-bugs-issues-problems-and-new-updates/
>> lists some updates in January to August of 2021.
>
> Yes it is no longer made, but it still is part of Android One. So it
> should still be getting security updates.

Presumably the phone is hardcoded to connect to a server. With the
separation of Poco to become a separate entity from Xiaomi, did they get
to keep the old update server?

https://www.poco.in/ mentions an e-mail address for service, and
https://www.po.co/global/support/contact/ lists some other contacts;
however, my recollection was Poco didn't provide support, or it was
dismal, due to the super-cheap price of their product.

Not all Xiaomi phones are in the Android One program. The following
only shows a few Xiaomi are Android One phones:

https://www.91mobiles.com/list-of-phones/android-one-phones-india
https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/05/12/poco-has-no-plans-to-launch-android-one-smartphones/

From what I found, Xiaomi Poco Mi A1 and A2 were Android One phones.
The F1 was not.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<ip77h8F4rt9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19902&group=comp.mobile.android#19902

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 10:34:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:34 UTC

On 8/31/2021 12:59 AM, bill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:42:35 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> asked
>> Not everybody must have it, but many people need the newer version of
>> Windows sooner or later. They need it because they require or desire a
>> new piece of hardwar or software that won't run on the older version.
>
> Think about what the functional difference is between the release numbers.
>
> Can't the average person do as well with Windows 7 as with Windows 11.

Average person? Except for potential security issues, yes, true in many
cases, maybe even most.

But that's very different from what I replied to, which said nothing
about an average person.

--
Ken

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<d2vsig54ovmemkkbmie3hrkhbdll7aurfs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19920&group=comp.mobile.android#19920

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:00:45 +0100
 by: Dan - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:00 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:53:54 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Dan <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:50:51 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> https://piunikaweb.com/poco-f1-pocophone-f1-news-bugs-issues-problems-and-new-updates/
>>> lists some updates in January to August of 2021.
>>
>> Yes it is no longer made, but it still is part of Android One. So it
>> should still be getting security updates.
>
>Presumably the phone is hardcoded to connect to a server. With the
>separation of Poco to become a separate entity from Xiaomi, did they get
>to keep the old update server?
>
>https://www.poco.in/ mentions an e-mail address for service, and
>https://www.po.co/global/support/contact/ lists some other contacts;
>however, my recollection was Poco didn't provide support, or it was
>dismal, due to the super-cheap price of their product.
>
>Not all Xiaomi phones are in the Android One program. The following
>only shows a few Xiaomi are Android One phones:
>
>https://www.91mobiles.com/list-of-phones/android-one-phones-india
>https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/05/12/poco-has-no-plans-to-launch-android-one-smartphones/
>
>From what I found, Xiaomi Poco Mi A1 and A2 were Android One phones.
>The F1 was not.

It sadly looks that way.

Re: Updates are no more on a Poco F1

<sgo49o$ppr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20002&group=comp.mobile.android#20002

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ogblb7sihJPkc9tv6aOVQMIQLr4=
 by: Chris - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:55 UTC

bill <bill@spam.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:37:35 -0700, AJL wrote:
>> Perhaps. But I've never checked on updates before buying a phone (or
>> laptop, or tablet, or etc) and I doubt that many folks do.
>
> This is important!
> This is what iPhone owners don't get but Android/Linux/Windows owners do.

People concerned with security don't run outdated versions of Linux or
Windows either.

> When you buy a car, do you worry that they will update the electronics?
> No, right?

A 5-year old car isn't a risk to you being phished or hacked. A five year
old unsupported OS is.