From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:50:31 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:50 UTC

I am used to a nice sensible *nix system where 'rm something' really
deletes something, permanently and immediately. If I delete an E-Mail
or a file I really want it *gone*, not stashed away somewhere.

On my Android phone there seems to be no straightforward way to delete
SMS messages in particular. This is a right royal pain for
authentication codes from my phone provider for example because the
latest one is at the bottom of the list off the screen if there are
lots of older ones not deleted. If I swipe an SMS off the screen I
want it *gone*!

Are there any apps which make this easier?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?

<sgit6v$j2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19794&group=comp.mobile.android#19794

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:24:13 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 15:24 UTC

Am 30.08.21 um 16:50 schrieb Chris Green:
> I am used to a nice sensible *nix system where 'rm something' really
> deletes something, permanently and immediately. If I delete an E-Mail
> or a file I really want it *gone*, not stashed away somewhere.
>
> On my Android phone there seems to be no straightforward way to delete
> SMS messages in particular. This is a right royal pain for

Which Android-version and which app?

> authentication codes from my phone provider for example because the
> latest one is at the bottom of the list off the screen if there are
> lots of older ones not deleted. If I swipe an SMS off the screen I
> want it *gone*!

Swipe the message in the list to the left and it will disappear for forever.

> Are there any apps which make this easier?

No new app needed.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?

<ftbvvh-daq41.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19799&group=comp.mobile.android#19799

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:00:15 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:00 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.08.21 um 16:50 schrieb Chris Green:
> > I am used to a nice sensible *nix system where 'rm something' really
> > deletes something, permanently and immediately. If I delete an E-Mail
> > or a file I really want it *gone*, not stashed away somewhere.
> >
> > On my Android phone there seems to be no straightforward way to delete
> > SMS messages in particular. This is a right royal pain for
>
> Which Android-version and which app?

Android 11, standard message app.

> > authentication codes from my phone provider for example because the
> > latest one is at the bottom of the list off the screen if there are
> > lots of older ones not deleted. If I swipe an SMS off the screen I
> > want it *gone*!
>
> Swipe the message in the list to the left and it will disappear for forever.

Not on mine I don't think, I'll try it though, thanks.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?

<sgj1la$1ela$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19810&group=comp.mobile.android#19810

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:40:10 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:40 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> asked
>> Which Android-version and which app?
>>
> Android 11, standard message app.

My Android message app will instantly "archive" if I swipe left.
It even puts an "undo" at the bottom just in case it was a mistake.

It will "delete" conversations if I longpress & press the trash can
which pops up at the top when I longpress on the conversation.

If yours doesn't have those features, you might want to change the app.

Even better, you can change the app for only the five minutes needed.
Then you can switch back to your stock messages app when you're done.

The nice thing about Android is you can switch message apps easily.
(Try that with the iPhone as it's yet another thing iOS can't do.)

Re: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?

<otfvvh-7o351.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19813&group=comp.mobile.android#19813

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:08:40 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:08 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@heaven.net> wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> asked
> >> Which Android-version and which app?
> >>
> > Android 11, standard message app.
>
> My Android message app will instantly "archive" if I swipe left.
> It even puts an "undo" at the bottom just in case it was a mistake.
>
> It will "delete" conversations if I longpress & press the trash can
> which pops up at the top when I longpress on the conversation.

Yes, that's exactly what mine does. I want to be able to 'swipe
delete' for preference, I don't want to archive by default. It's a
right pain to go through the longpress and then press the trash can to
actually delete messages.

On of the best things about my E-Mail program (on laptop linux, not
Android) is that I can simply hit 'd' to delete messages in the index,
just a single, immediate, key hit. Then when I leave the index screen
they're gone, deleted, disappeared! :-) This saves huge amounts of
time getting rid of unwanted junk messages, d d d d, they're gone.

--
Chris Green
·

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: How to quickly/easily *DELETE* messages, not 'archive' them?