Newsgroups: alt.locksmithing
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 01:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: THSS Locksmithing Institute?
From: mwilliam...@gmail.com (Mark)
 by: Mark - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 08:19 UTC

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 2:33:28 AM UTC-7, fjwi...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 23:03:05 UTC-6, lockw...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Yes please do! It's never really "out of date" so long as old locks are still in use.
> Yes i today found a copy in excellent condition with a micrometric precision key machine that i dont even think was used .
> The lesson had a date of 1977 and i research the man a bit on facebook and he was a ex RCAF tailgunner apparently worst place to be.
> No tools other than the machine.

I took this course in 1980 after graduating high school. At the time it was $399.50 ($24.50/month). I still have all of the course materials, all the completed and graded lessons. Some of the lessons were just true/false quizes while others were more "hands on." For instance, Lesson 9: The Pin Tumbler Cylinder...Changing Combinations and Fitting First Keys. They sent you the hardware for you to work on and then you sent it back to be graded. In this case I had to change the combination of the cylinder, fit a new key to it, and send it all back to them. As I recall they would send maybe five or six lessons out at a time with all of the necessary hardware that needed to be worked on. I quite enjoyed the process. I never became a locksmith but I most definitely have used the skills and knowledge that I learned then to this day. The lock picking lesson was one of my favorites. I still use those lockpicks...