Blame Saint Andreas -- it's all his fault.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / US Vetos Palestine?s Bid for UN membership

SubjectAuthor
* US Vetos Palestine?s Bid for UN membershipNefeshBarYochai
+* Re: US Vetos Palestine s Bid for UN membershipRhino
|`- Re: US Vetos Palestine s Bid for UN membershipUbiquitous
+* Re: US Vetos Palestines Bid for UN membershipSharx335
|`- Re: US Vetos Palestines Bid for UN membershipThe Doctor
`- Re: US Vetos Palestine's Bid for UN membershipUbiquitous

1
US Vetos Palestine?s Bid for UN membership

<6i9e2jdiog1au1ec3i6502s8ijv8rgudhc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20104&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20104

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
Subject: US Vetos Palestine???s Bid for UN membership
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 24 03:20:04 UTC
Motto: Better to be pissed off than pissed on
From: voi...@invalid.noy (NefeshBarYochai)
 by: NefeshBarYochai - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 03:20 UTC

BY ALFRED DE ZAYAS

On 18 May the Security Council was seized of a resolution that would
have granted UN membership to Palestine.Twelve members of the SC voted
in favor of the resolution, while two countries – the UK and
Switzerland – abstained. The US vetoed it.[1]

I would have been surprised if the US had voted in favor or abstained.
The voting record at the Security Council documents dozens upon dozens
of unjustified vetoes by the US, mostly to shield Israel from being
called to account, from being subjected to sanctions as once another
Apartheid State, South Africa, was[2].

The intransigent attitude displayed again and again by the United
States is contrary to the letter and spirit of the UN Charter, in
particular articles 1, 2, 4 and 27. What to me would seem more urgent
would be a resolution to expel Israel from membership in the United
Nations, as provided for in Article 6 of the Charter. But, of course,
the US would also veto such a hypothetical resolution.

Nonetheless, I could envision the General Assembly withdrawing the
accreditation of the Israeli diplomats at the United Nations. This is
within the GA’s competence and does not require a Security Council
resolution, as was the case when the credentials of South African
Ambassadors were rejected in the 1970s and 80s because of their
Apartheid policies[3]. Rejecting Israeli credentials would be
justified, since Israel is guilty not only of Apartheid but also of
genocide.

Whereas the Global Majority condemns Israel, three cases are before
the International Court of Justice, and several have been submitted to
the International Criminal Court, the US persists in its negationism
of Israeli crimes and evidently enjoys its exceptionalism in being
“one-man out”?

It seems that the US is trapped in its own political and psychological
web. The US has lost the capacity to think and act outside the box, it
is condemned to committing the same errors and exacerbating the
already toxic situation. Many American observers including myself
have indicated that after the US government took the unwise decision
to enter into an alliance with Israel, this effectively meant
subordinating US interests to those of Israel. It is and was
predictable that situations would arise where the US would not be free
to pursue its own priorities, but would be bound to support
geopolitically unwise policies, abuse the veto power in the Security
Council, and act contrary to the letter and spirit of the UN Charter.

For decades the US has supported patently illegal Israeli measures at
an exorbitant cost to the US economy and US prestige in the world
stage. The Global majority perceives the US and Israel as the greatest
dangers to the peace and security of mankind[4]. US actions in the UN
and elsewhere have cemented this perception.

The US and Israel are rightly perceived as dangerous bullies. There
is no love lost for the US and Israel. No doubt, the US alliance with
Israel has caused the US to lose authority and credibility in the eyes
of the Global Majority, precisely because the US has defended the
indefensible, justified the unjustifiable, engaged in apology of
genocide. The US alliance with Israel makes it complicit in the
illegal Israeli settler-colonialism, in its Apartheid policies, in all
the war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by Israel. This
complicity triggers civil and penal liability, which in due course
will have to be addressed. The International Law Commission’s Draft
Code on State responsibility [5] will someday be applied against the
United States, and Israel which will owe trillions of dollars to the
billions of human beings who have been victims of US imperialism and
neo-colonialism.

In the history of the United States, nothing has been as damaging as
its “alliance” with a retrograde State that pretends to implement
Biblical prophecies and destroy its Arab neighbors. Three thousand
years after the conquest of the “promised land”, Prime Minister
Netanyahu is now following the narratives of the book of Joshua and
the destruction of the Canaanites[6]. It is not surprising that
Netanyahu relies on Biblical stories of the destruction of the people
of Amalek by the Israelites[7]. Amid the genocidal excesses committed
by Israel on the people of Gaza, Netanyahu quoted from First Samuel
15:3, saying, “You must remember what Amalek has done to you, says our
Holy Bible. ‘Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all
that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women,
children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys’ It is
little wonder that the International Court of Justice is now
confronted with this statement – one of so many – that illustrate the
Israeli “intent” to destroy “in whole or in part” the targeted
group.[8]

Although the US and Israeli interests do not converge, there is a
dynamic of complicity and one crime begets another. Friedrich
Schiller wrote in his Drama Piccolomini — das ist der Fluch der Bösen
Tat, dass sie fortzeugend Böses muss gebären — that is the curse of
the evil act, that it will continue to engender further harm[9]. In
fact, the US government has gradually become dependent on its
“alliance” with Israel, which is more of a one-way road.
Notwithstanding the daily efforts of the mainstream media to whitewash
Israeli crimes and to give a veneer of legitimacy to the genocide,
more and more Americans are coming to understand that “there is
something rotten in the state”[10]. In practice, the US government
is quasi in the service of Israel and not in the service of the
American people.

The United States is caught in abstruse ideologies that escape all
rationality. Israel is not only an Apartheid State, it is a
neo-colonial State with policies that are incompatible with the UN
Charter, the 1949 Geneva Red Cross Conventions, the 1977 Additional
Protocols, and with international law in general.

Perhaps the saddest thing is that the American people are essentially
disenfranchised, because both political parties are caught in the
Israeli web. Whether you vote Republican or Democrat, you only get
candidates that will continue supporting Israel. Indeed, saying a
good word about the right of Palestinians to have their own State, the
idea of seeing the Palestinians as human beings entitled to the same
human rights as we claim for ourselves, is rejected by the mainstream
media. Whoever supports the Palestinians is ostracised and accused of
anti-Semitism.

The American people are prey to the Orwellianism of the New York Times
and Washington Post. Whether you vote Republican or Democrat, it is
the military-industrial-financial-academic-media-digital complex that
rules over us. Indeed, those who are elected do not govern, and those
who do govern are not elected.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2024/04/19/us-vetos-palestines-bid-for-un-membership/

Re: US Vetos Palestine s Bid for UN membership

<20240423114304.0000564e@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20113&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20113

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
Subject: Re: US Vetos Palestine s Bid for UN membership
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:43:04 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:43 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 24 03:20:04 UTC
NefeshBarYochai <void@invalid.noy> wrote:

> BY ALFRED DE ZAYAS
>
> On 18 May

Two words into the article and you're already lying. It's only April 23
and you're referring to an event that happened a couple of days ago as
being in May. If you'll lie about something this basic and easily
verified, I have no doubt you'll lie without restraint about
practically anything. Thank you for saving me the bother of reading the
rest of your spew.

--
Rhino

Re: US Vetos Palestines Bid for UN membership

<v08v46$1oi4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20114&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20114

From: shar...@telus.net (Sharx335)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:36:55 -0600
 by: Sharx335 - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:36 UTC

On 2024-04-22 9:20 p.m., NefeshBarYochai wrote:

Why should a terrorist area NOT A NATION, be admitted into the UN? There
are already too many terrorist-enabling members there. Also, too many
dictatorships.

Re: US Vetos Palestines Bid for UN membership

<v097n5$165q$5@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20115&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20115

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:03 UTC

In article <v08v46$1oi4s$1@dont-email.me>, Sharx335 <sharx35@telus.net> wrote:
>On 2024-04-22 9:20 p.m., NefeshBarYochai wrote:
>>
>Why should a terrorist area NOT A NATION, be admitted into the UN? There
>are already too many terrorist-enabling members there. Also, too many
>dictatorships.

Hear! Hear!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: US Vetos Palestine's Bid for UN membership

<v0g3os$3lm56$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20151&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20151

Followup: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,rec.arts.sf.tv,edm.general,alt.abortion
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,rec.arts.tv,edm.general,alt.abortion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

TROLL-O-METER
5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Re: US Vetos Palestine s Bid for UN membership

<v0g3t9$3lm56$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20152&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20152

Followup: rec.arts,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.philosophy.taoism,edm.general,alt.abortion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 04:30:43 -0400

no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:
> NefeshBarYochai <void@invalid.noy> wrote:

>> BY ALFRED DE ZAYAS
>>
>> On 18 May
>
>Two words into the article and you're already lying. It's only April 23
>and you're referring to an event that happened a couple of days ago as
>being in May. If you'll lie about something this basic and easily
>verified, I have no doubt you'll lie without restraint about
>practically anything. Thank you for saving me the bother of reading the
>rest of your spew.

I recognised it as a (lame) troll by the header alone.

--
"There is some movement, and I don't wanna, I don't wanna ..., Let me choose
my words -- there's some movement, there's been ... a response from the,

-- Joe Biden