Can't open /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortunes. Lid stuck on cookie jar.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: padding in Cobra trailer

SubjectAuthor
* Re: padding in Cobra trailerGuy Acheson
`* Re: padding in Cobra trailer6PK
 +- Re: padding in Cobra trailerNicholas Kennedy
 `* Re: padding in Cobra trailerJohn Sinclair
  `* Re: padding in Cobra trailer2G
   `* Re: padding in Cobra trailerGuy Acheson
    `* Re: padding in Cobra trailerjfitch
     `- Re: padding in Cobra trailerDgtarmichael

1
Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<47f80902-4c06-4570-b53a-74280a7bc18en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20588&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20588

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: padding in Cobra trailer
From: drguyach...@gmail.com (Guy Acheson)
 by: Guy Acheson - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 23:18 UTC

This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.

So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<82c20c49-4268-4a69-a391-593c8ec587d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20589&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20589

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 18:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: p.kov...@sbcglobal.net (6PK)
 by: 6PK - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 01:14 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:18:17 PM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
> This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
> I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
> The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
> My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.
>
> So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?
The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.
I could be wrong here as I only tried the local hardware stores and not online.

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<bf97391a-12be-4b15-94e8-5b421a35a3cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20590&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20590

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 18:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickkenn...@gmail.com (Nicholas Kennedy)
 by: Nicholas Kennedy - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 01:37 UTC

On my Cobra I used a Painters 5 in 1 tool as a scraper sharpened up.
You can put a lot of force on as these fit in your hand nicely.
Then I buffed it out with a wire wheel in a battery drill.
The wire wheel did a good job of taking the bits and pieces completely off.
Nick

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<63ab18e7-bcd7-413d-9a64-1f0d01397fa7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20591&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20591

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnsinc...@yahoo.com (John Sinclair)
 by: John Sinclair - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 03:04 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:14:06 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:18:17 PM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
> > This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
> > I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
> > The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
> > My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.
> >
> > So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?
> The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
> The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
> The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
> And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.
> I could be wrong here as I only tried the local hardware stores and not online.

We removed some old padding and replaced it with carpet from Wings &Wheels. Thinner because it didn’t have a foam back. Used the old contact cement.........the new green contact is pure crap! Read the label on the old contact cement which says, in part...........stir before using........ then apply to both surfaces........then let dry for :15 minutes!
Worked for us and customer was happy!
JJ

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<2e38dafb-8c14-40f9-ad6a-089bd9cf7a21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20650&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20650

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 17:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (2G)
 by: 2G - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:19 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:04:39 PM UTC-7, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 6:14:06 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
> > On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 4:18:17 PM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
> > > This is a great question that all Cobra owners will have to face.
> > > I have two trailers and replaced the original carpet about five years ago with indoor/outdoor carpet that I put in place with rubber cement.
> > > The hardest part is removing the crumbly foam rubber backing on the original padding. Aweful product.
> > > My second trailer has the padding starting to fall off.
> > >
> > > So...JJ...is there a heavy felt product or carpet that has self adhesive backing appropriate for this use?
> > The foam back carpet was a terrible idea, left over relic from the seventies, it was used as "kitchen carpet" in the US, I'm surprised Cobra was and I guess still using it. They are most likely not even available in the US any longer.
> > The easiest way to replace this crap is with regular commercial grade "tufted" carpets, readily available at your neighborhood flooring stores . Than once again the problem is the weight with these goods which makes it harder to install once all the previous crap has been removed as I think JJ described it well previously.
> > The best results can be obtained from automobile carpets (without the foam back) , these are light weight and go around compound curves much more easily. They can be purchased at the neighborhood auto upholstery shops. Even if more expensive remember you don't need a large quantity, so it won't brake the bank.
> > And since on this subject, please use a good quality contact cement BUT NOT THE GREEN KIND as you may end up with the carpet as headwear- they just don't hold. Unfortunately the old fashioned contact cements are only available in small cans any longer which makes them more expensive.
> > I could be wrong here as I only tried the local hardware stores and not online.
> We removed some old padding and replaced it with carpet from Wings &Wheels. Thinner because it didn’t have a foam back. Used the old contact cement.........the new green contact is pure crap! Read the label on the old contact cement which says, in part...........stir before using........ then apply to both surfaces........then let dry for :15 minutes!
> Worked for us and customer was happy!
> JJ
I have used a paint scraper such as this that I attached to a longer handle for this kind of work:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-4-in-Floor-and-Wall-Razor-Scraper-with-5-25-in-Handle-and-Stainless-Steel-Blade-62920/311182302
Tom

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<da6f5eb6-7045-4eb9-b8d1-a3821da7da45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20671&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20671

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 06:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: drguyach...@gmail.com (Guy Acheson)
 by: Guy Acheson - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 13:11 UTC

I used Goo Gone, waited an hour and used a paint scraper.
Then you have to wash off the Goo Gone.
Was not that big a deal.

Taping off the areas for the new padding and painting on the rubber cement was intoxicating.
Must do that outside or the fumes will become overwhelming.
New glued on outdoor carpet is still holding strong.

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<9d45f90a-ab84-45ed-86f6-138420eae96cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20677&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20677

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 08:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfi...@flash.net (jfitch)
 by: jfitch - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 15:41 UTC

It is easier to use spray contact adhesive. Use 3M 90, not 3M 77.
On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:11:12 AM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
> I used Goo Gone, waited an hour and used a paint scraper.
> Then you have to wash off the Goo Gone.
> Was not that big a deal.
>
> Taping off the areas for the new padding and painting on the rubber cement was intoxicating.
> Must do that outside or the fumes will become overwhelming.
> New glued on outdoor carpet is still holding strong.

Re: padding in Cobra trailer

<04c4c3d8-ce53-499f-8cd1-86de93f47021n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=20713&group=rec.aviation.soaring#20713

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 12:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: dtarmich...@gmail.com (Dgtarmichael)
 by: Dgtarmichael - Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:50 UTC

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:41:20 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
> It is easier to use spray contact adhesive. Use 3M 90, not 3M 77.
> On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:11:12 AM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
> > I used Goo Gone, waited an hour and used a paint scraper.
> > Then you have to wash off the Goo Gone.
> > Was not that big a deal.
> >
> > Taping off the areas for the new padding and painting on the rubber cement was intoxicating.
> > Must do that outside or the fumes will become overwhelming.
> > New glued on outdoor carpet is still holding strong.

Anybody ever use boat carpeting? Rubber padded
backing and holds up to the elements.

-Doug
W24