From: alls...@allspam.invalid (allspam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samba server on Android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 17:04:02 -0400
 by: allspam - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 21:04 UTC

In article <news:d6ev5kxyfdm1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
wrote:
> Being in the dark, I
> gave an answer from the dark ages of smartphones. It probably still
> works on new smartphones.

FYI: Frank and I have tested _every_ possible Android-to-Windows connection.
As far as I know, we are the two main experts in Android/Windows networking.

We've tested _every single suggested method_ (to my knowledge) over time.
0. Android freeware (worked perfectly for me on Nougat 7.0)
1. NetDrive freeware (worked perfectly for me on Windows 10)
2. DirectNetDrive freeware (worked perfectly for me on Windows 10)
3. FTPUse freeware (did not work for me on Windows 10)
4. SFTP NetDrive freeware (did not work for me on Windows 10)
5. FTPDrive freeware (did not work for me on Windows 10)
6. WebDrive trialware (did not work for me on Windows 10)
7. Windows 10 native commands (worked fine for WebDAV but failed for FTP)

These include adb & mtp (e.g., libmtp) in addition to the main servers.
This also includes the main clients (e.g., SMBv3 clients on Android).

We've covered all the syntax involved, and the caveats, and issues.
UNC & URI Syntax:
\\HostName[@SSL][@Port]\SharedFolder\Resource
ftp://[user[:password]@]host[:port]/url-path
http://[user[:password]@]host[:port]/url-path
Web browser URL (worked perfectly)
ftp://francis:francis@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9948610ftpshare03.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5127116ftpshare04.jpg>
Windows network URI (worked perfectly)
ftp://francis:francis@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4785408ftpshare01.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8734999ftpshare02.jpg>
Windows "net use" (works perfectly for WebDAV)
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /USER:francis francis
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8605173dir05.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9764689dir015.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2542487dir016.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8381514dir017.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2373390dir019.jpg>
Windows "net use" (fails miserably for FTP)
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@2221\DCIM\Camera /USER:francis francis
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3626731dir018.jpg>
etcetera

After having tested them _all_... I think (AFAIK)...
a. Frank prefers FTP (which "maps network drive") reasonably well.
b. I prefer WebDav (which allows Android to be mapped as a drive letter).

Both work fine over wifi and both allow you to run Windows command on the
entire Android visible file system (which depends on Android permissions).

What both Frank and I would love is for SMB/CIFS/Samba to work better.
But on non-rooted Android you have to mess with Windows port mapping.

Since we've discussed _every_ method above to death, there's really no value
in re-hashing the same old information over and over and over again.

Unless there's something new???

Re: Samba server on Android

<ipq2t0Fo7rgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20604&group=comp.mobile.android#20604

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:11:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 21:11 UTC

allspam wrote:

> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9948610ftpshare03.jpg>
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5127116ftpshare04.jpg>

All your image hosting links are b0rked.

what does running a TCP server on android do for battery life? Whether
it's just listening, or when it's actually connected.

Re: Samba server on Android

<sh8ngq$2sv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20607&group=comp.mobile.android#20607

From: alls...@allspam.invalid (allspam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:02:04 -0400
 by: allspam - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:02 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> asked
> what does running a TCP server on android do for battery life? Whether
> it's just listening, or when it's actually connected.

Hi Andy,

Here is one of my old screenshots of my networking folder on Android:
<https://i.postimg.cc/3r0yNRcT/network02.jpg> (this is on a $100 Moto G7)

Here's a screenshot today (on a completely different phone) of the same:
<https://i.postimg.cc/Zn73yqm1/network03.jpg> (this is on a free A32 5G)

Those more recent links should work. What you saw before was when I pulled
the much older links you found out of just one of scores of the very many
tutorials I wrote on how to connect Android to Windows seamlessly (after
having tested _every_ method known to man suggested on these newsgroups).

I didn't check those old (borked) images as my point was re-hashing this out
(again and again and again and again) adds zero value to the discussion.

The only thing that could add value is something new (e.g., when free
Android SMBv3 clients started shipping - which added security given that
SMBv1 was found to be insecure).

As for battery life on TCP, I don't know as what I've been using lately is
my free Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which has such a huge battery (5Amp Hour) and
fast charging (provided for free in the box no less!) that battery life
worries is a thing of the past.

Interestingly, if you've been following California news, PG&E has been
cutting off our power twice a week in the past month, for about a day each
time, where the Android phones are doing fine but all the iPhones are dead.

That's because Apple cheaped out on iPhone batteries, which is a known fact.
*Why Apple is Using Cheap Battery Parts in iPhone 12*
https://www.maticstoday.com/2020/08/21/why-apple-is-using-cheap-battery-parts-in-iphone-12/

My point is twofold (since you asked about battery life).
1. There is NOTHING NEW to be added (AFAICT) to Android/Windows networking
given Frank and I tested _every_ known method to the nth degree already.
We reported on all our results - and we each came to our own conclusions.
a. I believe Frank recommends FTP while I recommend WebDAV.
b. Both work fine (as to plenty of other methods we've tested).
c. The main reason I recommend WebDav is the advantage of a Drive Letter.
d. However Frank has, I believe, been able to drive letter FTP (did he?)

2. As for battery life, I didn't test battery life in my extensive tests.
I only tested connectivity and ability to run Windows on top of Android.
With my latest free Android phone, battery life is a problem of the past.

So someone _else_ will need to answer your question on battery life.
As for connectivity, my advice, after testing them all, is WebDav.

If you want to know the _best_ WebDav and FTP servers for Android, see my
screenshot where I pick the best software on the planet because I ask
everyone first, and because I test _all_ viable suggestions so I learn.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Zn73yqm1/network03.jpg> (this is on my free Samsung)
--
What matters isn't the meaningless wrapping paper but what's in the package.

Re: Samba server on Android

<sh94ad$4sk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20613&group=comp.mobile.android#20613

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 03:40:29 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 01:40 UTC

Am 07.09.21 um 23:04 schrieb allspam:
> In article <news:d6ev5kxyfdm1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
> wrote:
>> Being in the dark, I
>> gave an answer from the dark ages of smartphones. It probably still
>> works on new smartphones.
>
> FYI: Frank and I have tested _every_ possible Android-to-Windows connection.
> As far as I know, we are the two main experts in Android/Windows networking.

I love people claiming to be experts on anything! I trust them most.
You are a stupid Troll and who the fuck is Frank?
*PLONK*

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Samba server on Android

<shd7tm.o8g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20643&group=comp.mobile.android#20643

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: 9 Sep 2021 13:06:39 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 13:06 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 07.09.21 um 23:04 schrieb allspam:
> > In article <news:d6ev5kxyfdm1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH>
> > wrote:
> >> Being in the dark, I
> >> gave an answer from the dark ages of smartphones. It probably still
> >> works on new smartphones.
> >
> > FYI: Frank and I have tested _every_ possible Android-to-Windows connection.
> > As far as I know, we are the two main experts in Android/Windows networking.
>
> I love people claiming to be experts on anything! I trust them most.
> You are a stupid Troll and who the fuck is Frank?

Uhhhh ... *me*, who posted twice in this thread before you did,
amongst which a response to VanguardLH, whose attribution line you
quoted.

Not that I value the - implicit - praise from 'allspam' (a.k.a. Arlen
Holder et al), but following this small thread or/and knowing who is in
your killfile shouldn't be that hard.

> *PLONK*

<firmly sitting on hands>

Re: Samba server on Android

<shdgcs$4tt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20648&group=comp.mobile.android#20648

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:31:09 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:31 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> asked
> who the fuck is Frank?
>
> Uhhhh ... *me*, who posted twice in this thread before you did

Many of us have been connecting all our portable devices to Windows 10:
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

Using _all_ the suggested freeware methods on all four OS newsgroups.
<https://i.postimg.cc/zf1t61KW/copyfiles02.jpg>

As for "Who is Frank", for the record, Frank Slootweg has been posting to
the Android ng for many years, where he has been invaluable in my search for
_all_ possible connection methods to Windows 10 desktops using Android.
<https://i.postimg.cc/65fLFGVm/kde02.jpg>

Particularly FTP servers on Android to nicely connect to Windows 10 PCs.

We can dig into all the pictorial reviews I wrote (there's a review on each
and every Windows:Android networking method ever suggested on the Android
newsgroup), where there must be over a hundred annotated screenshots posted.
<https://i.postimg.cc/qBsN34fN/nitroshare04.jpg>

I've connected Android to Windows by almost every method suggested.
<https://i.postimg.cc/90HqTpw2/nitroshare01.jpg>

Frank's Windows machine has been able to network to Android quite well
(typically using FTP).

For whatever reason (noted in the reviews with gory details), I haven't been
as successful with FTP as Frank has been - but certainly FTP works as do
most of the many tested methods (e.g., libmpt, adb, ftpuse, net use, etc.).
<https://i.postimg.cc/bN875p8b/apk01.jpg> 1600 APKs extracted onto Windows

I even wrote Android tutorials for printing to Windows-connected printers.
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZJprj3b/printing08.jpg>

Overall, after having personally tested (and written the tutorials and
reviews for each) all the suggested networking methods between Windows and
Android, in a simple summary, I prefer the simplicity and power of WebDav.

I prefer WebDav mainly because with it Android is a Windows drive letter.
So even my Windows scripts work seamlessly with multiple Android devices.

However, given that SMB is _native_ on Windows, and given how well Linux
handles Samba, my dream connection is a SMB _server_ on non-root Android.

As Frank has reported many times in this newsgroup, the reasons that won't
work was already discussed (I think Andy alluded to a possible workaround).

In the past, at the time we were testing _all_ known connection methods
between Android & Windows, there wasn't a free Android SMBv3 server.

But even that has been solved (and the tutorials written on it), long ago.
All those reviews and tutorials are easily found in the public archives.

Re: Samba server on Android

<shdgl8$1sq9s$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20649&group=comp.mobile.android#20649

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:35:36 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:35 UTC

In article <shdgcs$4tt$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> asked
>> who the fuck is Frank?
>>
>> Uhhhh ... *me*, who posted twice in this thread before you did
>
>Many of us have been connecting all our portable devices to Windows 10:
> <https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

So, "Robin Goodfellow" is yet another Arlen Holder nym.

Good to know.

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/ModernXtian

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Samba server on Android