Mind your own business, Spock. I'm sick of your halfbreed interference.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: screen protector recommendations?John Doe
+* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?Gronk
|+* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?The Real Bev
||+* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?John Doe
|||`- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?Scott Lurndal
||`* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?sms
|| +- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?John Doe
|| `* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?The Real Bev
||  +- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?sms
||  `* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?sms
||   `- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?The Real Bev
|`* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?John Doe
| `* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?Scott Lurndal
|  `* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?John Doe
|   +- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?Scott Lurndal
|   `- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?Ken Hart
`* Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?KenW
 `- Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?The Real Bev

1
OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh22ak$ae9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20471&group=comp.mobile.android#20471

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: OT: screen protector recommendations?
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:23:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:23 UTC

I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to the
edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get them to stick
to the edges of the screen.

Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective, screen
protectors?

Thanks.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh2ii6$5is$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20478&group=comp.mobile.android#20478

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 08:00:40 -0600
 by: Gronk - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 14:00 UTC

John Doe wrote:
> I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to the
> edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get them to stick
> to the edges of the screen.
>
> Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective, screen
> protectors?
>
> Thanks.

I've put your average $10/set-of-3 Amazon bought screen protectors on
_every_ phone in the past five or so years, and _all_ stick like mad
(when applied as directed).

They stick so well that your first chance is essentially your only chance to
get the placement right, although you can "nudge" it a bit (but not much) to
get the placement right (but only in the beginning).

I will say though that they all crack & chip over time, but luckily they
usually come in sets of three, and that I'm brutal on equipment just as I'm
brutal on my body (lot's of broken bones over time).

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh2rs1$og9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20485&group=comp.mobile.android#20485

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:39:27 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 16:39 UTC

On 09/05/2021 07:00 AM, Gronk wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to the
>> edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get them to stick
>> to the edges of the screen.
>>
>> Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective, screen
>> protectors?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I've put your average $10/set-of-3 Amazon bought screen protectors on
> _every_ phone in the past five or so years, and _all_ stick like mad
> (when applied as directed).

Yes. Mostly even cheaper than that. I always choose "matte" or
"frosted" or "non-reflective" because that's what I want. Cuts the
searches down drastically.

> They stick so well that your first chance is essentially your only chance to
> get the placement right, although you can "nudge" it a bit (but not much) to
> get the placement right (but only in the beginning).

I did the last one perfectly. Not a single bubble. I don't know if
it's a developed skill (doesn't seem reasonable) or if the newer ones
1.5 years ago are just better. $3 for three, but not available any more
according to ebay. Probably doesn't matter

> I will say though that they all crack & chip over time, but luckily they
> usually come in sets of three, and that I'm brutal on equipment just as I'm
> brutal on my body (lot's of broken bones over time)

Never, although I've never dropped a phone on a hard surface. The one I
put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I think that
was an application error that I just didn't want to bother fixing. It
also needed to have a hole punched for the front camera -- no idea how
they got that wrong.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you see me running, try to keep up."

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<l7t9jg5h190kkmlcrtnjc9fra7asl8k5oj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20486&group=comp.mobile.android#20486

Path: i2pn2.org!rocksolid2!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 10:51:54 -0600
 by: KenW - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 16:51 UTC

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:23:33 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
<always.look@message.header> wrote:

>I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to the
>edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get them to stick
>to the edges of the screen.
>
>Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective, screen
>protectors?
>
>Thanks.

Where did you buy them ? I have gotten some on Ebay for a friend who
had no problems. I keep my cell in a pouch holder & don't use it very
often so don't need a protector.

KenW

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh3amq$7cu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20492&group=comp.mobile.android#20492

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 13:52:42 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 20:52 UTC

On 09/05/2021 09:51 AM, KenW wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2021 09:23:33 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
> <always.look@message.header> wrote:
>
>>I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to the
>>edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get them to stick
>>to the edges of the screen.
>>
>>Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective, screen
>>protectors?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
> Where did you buy them ? I have gotten some on Ebay for a friend who
> had no problems. I keep my cell in a pouch holder & don't use it very
> often so don't need a protector.

I use it just for the 'matte' effect. I HATE reflections.

--
Cheers, Bev
Why do men's hearts beat faster, their knees get weak, their throats

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh3mbd$c8j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20493&group=comp.mobile.android#20493

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:11:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:11 UTC

Gronk <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> I bought some cheap tempered glass screen protectors. Didn't stick to
>> the edges of the screen. Looking at reviews... Seems nobody can get
>> them to stick to the edges of the screen.
>>
>> Are there any ordinary, more flexible, perhaps not as protective,
>> screen protectors?

> I've put your average $10/set-of-3 Amazon bought screen protectors on
> _every_ phone in the past five or so years, and _all_ stick like mad
> (when applied as directed).

But in fact, lots of Amazon reviews say the opposite. And Yes, of course
I properly prepared the surface. Even if you are not meticulous like I am,
by the time you get to the 2nd or 3rd screen protector, the screen will be
perfectly clean.

It's not rocket science. With a screen protector that is rigid like
tempered glass, unless your phone screen is perfectly flat, unless the
glue is extremely strong (creating other problems), there might be
some lack of adhesion.

The more likely scenario is the poster, like the average Joe, has no eye
for detail and doesn't notice the edges are not stuck. In my experience
with the Moto G Stylus 2000, the screen protectors were usable but close
inspection showed they were not properly/uniformly stuck to the screen
(the top, or the bottom), that caused a slight difference in screen
appearance (not bubbles).

I want ZERO difference in appearance throughout the screen, but I might try
again. I can cope with lack of uniformity if it means less risk of the
screen being smashed.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh3n4a$c8j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20495&group=comp.mobile.android#20495

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:24:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:24 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> The one I put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I
> think that was an application error

It's the fact tempered glass is rigid. So unless your screen is PERFECTLY
flat, there will be tension that causes lifting at the ends, edges, or
corners. Non-drying glue gives way to tension over time.

It might not cause touch actions to malfunction and there is a need for
hard "tempered glass" because a rigid covering protects better from
impact. So maybe I'll try again and cope with the lack of perfection.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh3p97$8t7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20496&group=comp.mobile.android#20496

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 04:01:29 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 01:01 UTC

John Doe writes:
> With a screen protector that is rigid like
> tempered glass

The stuff I've used is extremely flexible.
I've broken many so I know that it's a sandwich of plastic & glass.

> The more likely scenario is the poster, like the average Joe, has no eye
> for detail and doesn't notice the edges are not stuck.]

Usually the protector is smaller than the screen (particularly with beveled
screens and where notches get in the way) so positioning is problematic.

> I want ZERO difference in appearance throughout the screen, but I might try
> again. I can cope with lack of uniformity if it means less risk of the
> screen being smashed.

Over time, you no longer "see" imperfections that you inevitably introduced.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh3per$aue$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20497&group=comp.mobile.android#20497

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 04:04:29 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 01:04 UTC

John Doe writes:
> It's the fact tempered glass is rigid.

Did you ever break one in your hands?
I have.

They're a sandwich of plastic & glass.
Not too rigid but not too floppy.

Just right.

If this was an Apple commercial, it would be filled with unbelievably
outlandish prose for how "simply perfect" it is in terms of being both.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh411v$432$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20506&group=comp.mobile.android#20506

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,free.spam
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 03:14:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 03:14 UTC

Usually when something is "extremely flexible", it doesn't break.

Troll...

--
Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> From: Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home>
> Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
> Subject: Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?
> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 04:01:29 +0300
>
> John Doe writes:
>> With a screen protector that is rigid like
>> tempered glass
>
> The stuff I've used is extremely flexible.
> I've broken many so I know that it's a sandwich of plastic & glass.
>
>> The more likely scenario is the poster, like the average Joe, has no eye
>> for detail and doesn't notice the edges are not stuck.]
>
> Usually the protector is smaller than the screen (particularly with beveled
> screens and where notches get in the way) so positioning is problematic.
>
>> I want ZERO difference in appearance throughout the screen, but I might try
>> again. I can cope with lack of uniformity if it means less risk of the
>> screen being smashed.
>
> Over time, you no longer "see" imperfections that you inevitably introduced.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh59bo$fht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20530&group=comp.mobile.android#20530

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 17:42:03 +0300
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 14:42 UTC

John Doe writes:
> Usually when something is "extremely flexible", it doesn't break.
>
> Troll...

Wow. What kind of person is this "John Doe" who calls people a troll for
providing advice based on years of personal experience with the protectors?

And then "John Doe" adds "free.spam" to the newsgroup list?

It's not my fault "John Doe" doesn't know many screen protectors are a
flexible sandwich of plastic & glass & glue.

https://www.amazon.in/Mercator-Flexible-tempered-screen-Protector/dp/B011IZCWBA
https://www.amazon.com/ARMOR-Flexible-Protector-Privacy-Anti-Glare/dp/B08L8W1QKG
https://www.gadgetguard.com/registration/curved-flexible-glass.html
https://www.accellww.com/products/tech-guard-flexible-tempered-glass-screen-protector
https://www.casecoinc.com/collections/screenflex-flexible-screen-protectors

Please apologize if you have any respect for yourself.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh7mdo$l2k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20587&group=comp.mobile.android#20587

From: kwha...@frontier.com (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:37:14 -0400
 by: Ken Hart - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:37 UTC

On 9/6/2021 3:14 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Usually when something is "extremely flexible", it doesn't break.
>
> Troll...

fucking asshole.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh8osl$bh2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20610&group=comp.mobile.android#20610

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:25:24 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:25 UTC

On 9/5/2021 9:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> Never, although I've never dropped a phone on a hard surface.  The one I
> put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I think that
> was an application error that I just didn't want to bother fixing.  It
> also needed to have a hole punched for the front camera -- no idea how
> they got that wrong.

I've had no problem with the glass screen protectors other than you
really have to get them right the first time, since one side is sticky
and once you pull it off it's pretty much ruined. I did order one from
eBay that arrived broken, but they gave me a refund after I sent a
picture of the cracked glass. Amazon packs them well enough that they
don't break.

The local $1.50 store, Daiso, has some glass screen protectors for a
limited number of newer iPhones.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh9a1b$o4d$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20616&group=comp.mobile.android#20616

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 03:18:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 03:18 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

>> Never, although I've never dropped a phone on a hard surface.  The one
>> I put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I think
>> that was an application error that I just didn't want to bother fixing.
>> It also needed to have a hole punched for the front camera -- no idea
>> how they got that wrong.
>
> I've had no problem with the glass screen protectors other than you
> really have to get them right the first time

My problem with it, and perhaps most people's problem with it, is barely
noticeable. But anybody with an eye for detail can see it when the screen is
off.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<sh9j9o$fc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20618&group=comp.mobile.android#20618

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:56:08 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 05:56 UTC

On 09/07/2021 03:25 PM, sms wrote:
> On 9/5/2021 9:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Never, although I've never dropped a phone on a hard surface. The one I
>> put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I think that
>> was an application error that I just didn't want to bother fixing. It
>> also needed to have a hole punched for the front camera -- no idea how
>> they got that wrong.
>
> I've had no problem with the glass screen protectors other than you
> really have to get them right the first time, since one side is sticky
> and once you pull it off it's pretty much ruined. I did order one from
> eBay that arrived broken, but they gave me a refund after I sent a
> picture of the cracked glass. Amazon packs them well enough that they
> don't break.
>
> The local $1.50 store, Daiso, has some glass screen protectors for a
> limited number of newer iPhones.

Our 99-Cents-Only Store has protectors for the latest iPhones. What's
wrong with this picture?

--
Cheers, Bev
Just as you cannot explain snow to a summer insect, so also you cannot

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<shalc5$jlj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20622&group=comp.mobile.android#20622

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 08:37:40 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:37 UTC

On 9/7/2021 10:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 09/07/2021 03:25 PM, sms wrote:
>> On 9/5/2021 9:39 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Never, although I've never dropped a phone on a hard surface.  The one I
>>> put on my previous phone lifted at one of the corners, but I think that
>>> was an application error that I just didn't want to bother fixing.  It
>>> also needed to have a hole punched for the front camera -- no idea how
>>> they got that wrong.
>>
>> I've had no problem with the glass screen protectors other than you
>> really have to get them right the first time, since one side is sticky
>> and once you pull it off it's pretty much ruined. I did order one from
>> eBay that arrived broken, but they gave me a refund after I sent a
>> picture of the cracked glass. Amazon packs them well enough that they
>> don't break.
>>
>> The local $1.50 store, Daiso, has some glass screen protectors for a
>> limited number of newer iPhones.
>
> Our 99-Cents-Only Store has protectors for the latest iPhones.  What's
> wrong with this picture?

LOL, nothing. Even people that shop at the 99¢ store have iPhones. The
screen protectors probably wholesale for 20¢, so there are good margins.

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<shalmv$m6n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20623&group=comp.mobile.android#20623

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 08:43:26 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:43 UTC

On 9/7/2021 10:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> Our 99-Cents-Only Store has protectors for the latest iPhones.  What's
> wrong with this picture?

My son told his aunt that there was a Dollar Store Outlet, where
everything was 50¢.

Did you ever watch this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5pWMZxlIA>?

Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?

<shc89j$ugp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20631&group=comp.mobile.android#20631

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:06:41 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 06:06 UTC

On 09/08/2021 08:43 AM, sms wrote:
> On 9/7/2021 10:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Our 99-Cents-Only Store has protectors for the latest iPhones. What's
>> wrong with this picture?
>
> My son told his aunt that there was a Dollar Store Outlet, where
> everything was 50¢.

A couple of years they caved. First they raised the price to 99.99
cents and then they added stuff clearly marked at $1.99, $2.99 etc.
Most expensive thing I saw was $9.99. Now you have to be selective.
Sic transit gloria etc.

The Dollar Tree is still $1 for everything, but it's not the same.

> Did you ever watch this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a5pWMZxlIA>?

Excellent! I never stayed out overnight for Black Friday sales, but we
did co-ordinate with friends and get in line when it was still dark.
Best thing the stores ever did was go down the line with coupons so
there was no mad rush, trampling the weak, etc. And then BF went on
line, and then favored subscribers got access to EARLY BF prices...

Life used to be better, or at least more fun.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: OT: screen protector recommendations?