Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 05:34:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: What is called when the music mimics a lyrics content?
From: benjygib...@gmail.com (benjy Gibson)
 by: benjy Gibson - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 13:34 UTC

On Sunday, 9 March 2008 at 12:51:31 UTC, William Sommerwerck wrote:
> <ahren...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > This is hard for me to explain but I know there is a word for it
> > because I learned it here.
> > Say a lyric is sung like "time to stop" and right then the music
> > stops. Or maybe "the phone rings" and an intrument mimics a
> > phone ringing... what is this called?? it has a name and it is
> > bugging me for weeks now.
> Basically, it's bad composing. <grin>
> The best term, borrowed from poetry, would probably be ONOMATOPOEIA (which
> has nothing to do with John Lennon's wife). I've fully capitalized to make
> sure everyone sees it.
> A related term is "Mickey-Mousing", though this applies to the music closely
> following the screen action -- not sounding like it. The term came from the
> original Mickey Mouse sound films, in which the music and the screen action
> were tightly linked.
> "Mickey-Mousing" is usually a term of opprobrium -- Frank de Vol's score for
> "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" is a good example of bad Mickey-Mousing.
> But it can be used effectively, as in Max Steiner's score for "King Kong".

Oiii william take your composing baggage elsewhere jus cos you cant compose anything in the first place. you wish you could word paint

Re: What is called when the music mimics a lyrics content?

<k44rg2FkusbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2078&group=rec.audio.pro#2078

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:36:15 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:36 UTC

On 03/02/2023 13:34, benjy Gibson wrote:

> Oiii william take your composing baggage elsewhere jus cos you cant compose anything in the first place. you wish you could word paint

I was wondering why you were responding to a message that was posted
fifteen years ago, then I realised you are on Google Groups, and given
the quality of their newsgroup service, you probably didn't notice the
date in the headers.

Post such as this are the reason many people have an entry in their
killfile dropping all posts using an @gmail address.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: What is called when the music mimics a lyrics content?