From: noo...@nospam.com (Dimitris Tzortzakakis)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: Re: 3 more inconvenient facts about electric cars
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 18:01:14 +0200
 by: Dimitris Tzortzakaki - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:01 UTC

Στις 8/1/2023 9:51 μ.μ., ο/η Leroy N. Soetoro έγραψε:
> [...]
> asked electric vehicle owners to stop charging cars!
>
> Yet today, few of California's cars are electric. Gov. Gavin Newsom
> ordered that all new cars must be electric by 2035! Where does he think
> he'll get the electricity to power them?
>
> "Roughly speaking, you have to double your electric grid to move the
> energy out of gasoline into the electric sector," says Mills. "No one is
> planning to double the electric grid, so they'll be rationing."
>
> Rationing. That means some places will simply turn off some of the power.
> That's our final inconvenient fact: We just don't have enough electricity
> for all electric cars.
>
> Worse, if (as many activists and politicians propose) we try to get that
> electricity from 100% renewable sources, the rationing would be deadly.
>
> "Even if you cover the entire continent of the United States with solar
> panels, you wouldn't supply half of America's electricity," Mills points
> out.
>
> Even if you added "Washington Monument-sized wind turbines spread over an
> area six times greater than the state of New York, that wouldn't be
> enough."
>
> This is just math and physics. It's amazing supposedly responsible people
> promote impossible fantasies.
>
> "It's been an extraordinary accomplishment of propaganda," complains
> Mills, "almost infantile ... distressing because it's so silly."
>
> Even if people invent much better cars, wind turbines, solar panels, power
> lines and batteries, explains Mills, "you're still drilling things,
> digging up stuff. You're still building machines that wear out. … It's not
> magical transformation."
>
> Even worse, today politicians make us pay more for energy while forcing us
> to do things that hurt the environment. Their restrictions on fossil fuels
> drive people to use fuels that pollute more.
>
> In Europe: "They're going back to burning coal! What we've done is have
> our energy systems designed by bureaucrats instead of engineers,"
> complains Mills. "We get worse energy, more expensive energy and higher
> environmental impacts!"
>
> I like electric cars. But I won't pretend that driving one makes me some
> kind of environmental hero.
>
> "There'll be lots more electric cars in the future," concludes Mills.
> "There should be, because that'll reduce demand for oil, which is a good
> thing. But when you do the math, to operate a society with 5 or 6 billion
> people who are living in poverty we can't imagine, when you want to give
> them a little of what we have, the energy demands are off the charts big.
> We're going to need everything."
>
> That includes fossil fuels.
>
> Every Tuesday at JohnStossel.com, Stossel posts a new video about the
> battle between government and freedom.
>
> SUPPORT TRUTHFUL JOURNALISM. MAKE A DONATION TO THE NONPROFIT WND NEWS
> CENTER. THANK YOU!
>
> The post 3 more inconvenient facts about electric cars appeared first on

condition could be even worse. let's assume that Crete (the island where
I live in in southern Greece) has 500,000 cars (it has almost 500,000
inhabitants). The worst case scenario is that all cars would charge at
the same time. Thus 500,000 * 11 kW =5,5 GW. With an efficiency factor
of 50 % that would make 11 GVA, with a reactive power of 5,5 GVAr!!!
The peak power in Crete is 800 MW in summer with all power stations
working round the clock full throttle, and all wind turbines
photovoltaics etc. I have noticed that despite the wind turbines etc.
the power station of Linoperamata (very near the city I live) is working
full throttle with the oldest unit commisioned in 1966!! and burning
mostly heavy fuel (mazut) and diesel for the gas turbines. and despite
the wind turbine hype electricity is as expensive as ever. so that would
need an 1000 % grow in the grid!! 10 times as much!! the peak of
continental Greece is ¬10 GW with much more possible sources of
generation (lignite, hydro, natural gas, imports from other countries etc.).

Re: 3 more inconvenient facts about electric cars

<tpn2gr$10cpq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=212&group=alt.engineering.electrical#212

From: noo...@nospam.com (Dimitris Tzortzakakis)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:26:19 +0200
 by: Dimitris Tzortzakaki - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 19:26 UTC

Στις 11/1/2023 6:01 μ.μ., ο/η Dimitris Tzortzakakis έγραψε:
> [...]
> the same time. Thus 500,000 * 11 kW =5,5 GW. With an efficiency factor
> of 50 % that would make 11 GVA, with a reactive power of 5,5 GVAr!!!
> The peak power in Crete is 800 MW in summer with all power stations
> working round the clock full throttle, and all wind turbines
> photovoltaics etc. I have noticed that despite the wind turbines etc.
> the power station of Linoperamata (very near the city I live) is working
> full throttle with the oldest unit commisioned in 1966!! and burning
> mostly heavy fuel (mazut) and diesel for the gas turbines. and despite
> the wind turbine hype electricity is as expensive as ever. so that would
> need an 1000 % grow in the grid!! 10 times as much!! the peak of
> continental Greece is ¬10 GW with much more possible sources of
> generation (lignite, hydro, natural gas, imports from other countries

what's more about batteries-a mobile phone battery stores Wh. A car
battery stores kWh. A truck (!!!) battery or a railway locomotive (!!)
would store MWh. a million times that of a mobile phone!! And in grid
scale we would need GWh!!! A *billion* times that of a mobile phone!!
not to mention the expensive electronics needed to charge and discharge
them (not a piece of cake). And to convert 3 phase AC to DC and back.
How are we going to build up mobile phone batteries in a billion scale
larger is anyone's guess.