From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: apple dealt severe blow by antitrust ruling
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:46:18 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:46 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> Neither of those two "stores" are really app stores.

What I don't understand is how could Jolly Roger & nospam possibly equate
those two crippled "things" with something like F-Droid as a "real" store?

Is it possible that these apologists are _that_ ignorant of F-Droid?

> Altstore.io requires that you supply them with your AppleID and
> password. They allow you to side load apps that will expire after seven
> days.

Thanks for confirming what I found in my skim of Jolly Roger's claim.
What I don't understand is whether Jolly Roger really is as incredibly
ignorant as he appears to be, or is he just a brazen liar all the time?

How could Jolly Roger _not_ have known those "things" are cripples?
> AppValley downloads use enterprise certificates that get revoked so
> you'd have to keep reinstalling.

Again, I appreciate that you confirmed what I suspected after I noticed that
Jolly Roger didn't supply a link with his claim these are real "stores".

Do these apologists really expect us to be so dumb as to _believe_ a word
they say that they can't even back up with a cite when they say it?

> The only real way for an end-user to use apps that are not from the app
> store is to jailbreak, and jailbreaking has become increasingly
> difficult.

There's no doubt of three things regarding jailbreaks which apologists deny:
1. People jailbreak to get out of jail
2. Each jailbreak indicates a huge flaw in Apple's software testing
3. Apple quickly closes down every jailbreak that isn't unfixable

What I don't understand is how can these apologists brazenly claim that
these two stores are equivalent to something like "F-Droid" is for Android?

Are they _really_ that ignorant that they can't see what I saw in seconds?
(And which you kindly confirmed as fact)

> There is not yet a jailbreak for 14.7.1 for devices newer
> that the iPhone 7. Apple keeps finding ways to prevent jailbreaking.

I'm aware of that Checkra1n jailbreak based on the checkm8 bootrom exploit.
https://www.iphonehacks.com/jailbreak-ios-14

When I searched for iOS 15 jailbreaks, these pages came out on top.
https://zjailbreak.com/jailbreak15/
https://pangu8.com/ios-15-jailbreak/
https://taig9.com/jailbreak/ios-15/
https://zeejb.com/jailbreak/jailbreak-ios-15/
https://www.cydiacloud.com/jailbreak/15/
etc.

A super quick skim (I've done jailbreaking - but only to convert an AT&T
iPhone into a T-Mobile iPhone in years past) shows iOS 15 only to be
promising, but not fully jailbroken yet (but it will, if history is our
guide - given Apple has _never_ sufficiently tested any iOS release).

What I don't understand is why the apologists claim jailbreaking is the
solution to the fact that the iPhone is otherwise crippled in functionality.
> It'll be interesting to see what happens with iOS 15.

Unfortunately the fact remains that Apple is drunk on getting away with
_saying_ that iOS is "secure" where the fact is Apple has _never_
sufficiently tested iOS - so why would iOS 15 be any different?
--
Nobody in tech spends more in marketing and LESS in R&D than does Apple.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: apple dealt severe blow by antitrust ruling