We can defeat gravity. The problem is the paperwork involved.

tech / rec.bicycles.racing / Re: Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France Winners

SubjectAuthor
* Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France WinnersKenneth Litwak
`- Re: Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France WinnersSteven Bornfeld

1
Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France Winners

<20f9960a-d15c-48eb-bad5-e110ccdba586n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=212&group=rec.bicycles.racing#212

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France Winners
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:34 UTC

Of racers that I've seen win several Tours de France, most have been around 30 years old. None of them were previously 21,22, and 23 (we know Pogrcar is going to win). This empirical fact has always made me question what Pogacar is doing/taking to be so dominant at such a young age compared to anyone else. Ever since Pogacar beat Roglic massively in his first TdF, I"ve had doubts that Tadej is relying upon natural ability only. My impression is that young pros have to spend several years to build up to where they win a grand tour. What do you think?

Re: Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France Winners

<tb4dq7$1ueg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=213&group=rec.bicycles.racing#213

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Subject: Re: Age Ranges of Multiple Tours de France Winners
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 15:54:47 -0400
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 19:54 UTC

On 7/18/2022 1:34 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> Of racers that I've seen win several Tours de France, most have been around 30 years old. None of them were previously 21,22, and 23 (we know Pogrcar is going to win). This empirical fact has always made me question what Pogacar is doing/taking to be so dominant at such a young age compared to anyone else. Ever since Pogacar beat Roglic massively in his first TdF, I"ve had doubts that Tadej is relying upon natural ability only. My impression is that young pros have to spend several years to build up to where they win a grand tour. What do you think?

Well yeah, if you consider a margin of 59 seconds to be winning
"massively" (I don't). Pogacar has the advantage of being an excellent
bike handler, which Roglic demonstrably is not.
In the past there were a lot of theories about when a rider is ready for
grand tours, but the evidence base for that is skimpy at best. They
have also done away with gear restrictions for juniors right here in the
U.S.
It is true that in endurance sports maturity tends to come later than
for power sports, but there has to be plenty of individual variation.