Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 00:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Are areas of sink modeled well in Condor2?
From: oxo.con...@gmail.com (Chris Wedgwood)
 by: Chris Wedgwood - Mon, 31 May 2021 07:10 UTC

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 9:16:11 AM UTC+1, cb3du...@hotmail.be wrote:
> Op maandag 27 juli 2020 14:05:20 UTC+2 schreef Charles Ethridge:
> > Question for those of you who fly with Oudie and Condor2:
> >
> > While sink near thermals seem to be modeled well in Condor2, some people in our club do not think that Condor models areas of sink outside of thermals (between clouds) very well.
> >
> > In other words, when they fly cross-country in real life with Oudie/Oudie2, they get much more sink during cruise than they do when flying that same cross-country in Condor2 with Oudie2. They compensate for this in various ways in their Oudie/Oudie2 settings.
> >
> > Is this true in your experience as well?
> >
> > Ben Ethridge
> The only way to actually compensate for the sink when flying XC is flying energy lines, choose the right path and your average speed will go up. Just flying cloud to cloud isn't always the best option.
>
> To answer your question, no, Condor does not model sink between clouds well. It models it as still air, only moving horizontally. Condor is a great way of learning how to thermal but actually advanced techniques aren't easy to learn in Condor.

We are currently working on an update to Condor. One of the many things which are being added and improved is the inter thermal sink and turbulence.

Chris Wedgwood
Condor Team

Re: Are areas of sink modeled well in Condor2?

<cea216db-1721-4b8d-a5e1-f67464332a65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21356&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21356

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:49:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: johngfos...@gmail.com (John Foster)
 by: John Foster - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 23:49 UTC

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:10:02 AM UTC-6, oxo.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 9:16:11 AM UTC+1, cb3du...@hotmail.be wrote:
> > Op maandag 27 juli 2020 14:05:20 UTC+2 schreef Charles Ethridge:
> > > Question for those of you who fly with Oudie and Condor2:
> > >
> > > While sink near thermals seem to be modeled well in Condor2, some people in our club do not think that Condor models areas of sink outside of thermals (between clouds) very well.
> > >
> > > In other words, when they fly cross-country in real life with Oudie/Oudie2, they get much more sink during cruise than they do when flying that same cross-country in Condor2 with Oudie2. They compensate for this in various ways in their Oudie/Oudie2 settings.
> > >
> > > Is this true in your experience as well?
> > >
> > > Ben Ethridge
> > The only way to actually compensate for the sink when flying XC is flying energy lines, choose the right path and your average speed will go up. Just flying cloud to cloud isn't always the best option.
> >
> > To answer your question, no, Condor does not model sink between clouds well. It models it as still air, only moving horizontally. Condor is a great way of learning how to thermal but actually advanced techniques aren't easy to learn in Condor.
> We are currently working on an update to Condor. One of the many things which are being added and improved is the inter thermal sink and turbulence.
>
> Chris Wedgwood
> Condor Team

Any possibility of improving the wind model? For instance, the wind in Condor 2 seems to flow OVER obstacles well, but doesn't seem to flow AROUND obstacles. Thus you can unrealistically count on the wind always coming from roughly the same direction, no matter what. It would be nice to have the wind follow a more 3-dimentional model rather than the current 2-dimentional one. It also seems that ridge lift off a ridge immediately in the lee of a larger mountain seems unrealistically dependable. Convergence lift would also be another nice feature, but that's a whole additional level there. Otherwise, it is an amazing tool, and I've appreciated all the hard work you guys have put into it to develop such an amazing piece of software! Thanks.