From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: Re: Banning Gas-Powered Cars Won't Save the Environment
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 20:43:04 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 7 May 2023 00:43 UTC

On Fri, 5 May 2023 22:06:35 -0000 (UTC), "Leroy N. Soetoro"
<democrat-criminals@mail.house.gov> wrote:

><https://www.newsweek.com/banning-gas-powered-cars-wont-save-environment-
>opinion-1796894>
>
>In March, Maryland Governor Wes Moore unveiled a plan to ban the sale of
>gas-powered vehicles. He called the move "a major step in the state's
>acceleration to improve air quality and combat the effects of climate
>change."
>
>The announcement garnered surprisingly little media attention, perhaps
>because no fewer than six states had already announced similar plans, a
>trend that began in 2020 with California Governor Gavin Newsom's order to
>prohibit sales of gas-powered cars by 2035.
>
>"By 2035" is the key caveat, of course. Politicians like Moore and Newsom
>get to bask in the virtue of (eventually) saving the world from CO2, while
>avoiding the practical problems and tradeoffs of such a ban—and there are
>tradeoffs.
>
>Basic economics teaches that everything comes with tradeoffs. This
>includes energy.
>
>Fossil fuels, which currently supply about 80 percent of the world's
>energy, come with tradeoffs. Renewable energies and green technologies
>come with tradeoffs. There are pros and cons to each.
>
>The problem is that people often look at fossil fuels and focus solely on
>their cons—they are finite, cause pollution, and so on—and ignore their
>benefits. With so-called "green" technologies and energies, people tend to
>do the opposite.
>
>Wind and solar power, for example, have benefits, but also come with their
>own adverse impacts. The same can be said of electric vehicles (EVs).
>
>While people like to point out the carbon footprint of gasoline-powered
>cars, few seem to recognize that EVs also come with a massive carbon
>footprint, especially during production.
>
>NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
>The reality is, it requires a lot more energy to produce EVs than petrol
>cars, which means they produce a lot more CO2 in the production phase. How
>many pounds of CO2 does it take to create a single Tesla battery? German
>researchers asked this question a few years ago. The answer? About 30,000
>pounds.
>
>It's not just Teslas, of course. A few years ago Volvo raised eyebrows at
>a climate summit when it conceded that its C40 Recharge needed to be
>driven nearly 70,000 miles before it had a lower carbon impact than a
>gasoline-powered version.
>
>The reasons for this are not hard to fathom. EVs require a lot of energy
>to produce, and that is not easily offset once a car hits the road. After
>all, EVs don't just use fossil fuels in production; they also run on
>fossil fuels. The electricity that powers them isn't produced magically.
>It's generated, often by fossil fuels. In fact, about 60 percent of the
>electricity in the U.S. is generated by fossil fuels, according to the
>Energy Information Administration.
>
>Shifting from petrol cars to EVs will not reduce CO2 emissions nearly as
> [...]

There is also the problem that the grid is nowhere near the capacity
to recharge all the electric cars they are mandating and restructuring
that will take longer than we have. We are actually going the wrong
way. We are decommissioning electric plants faster than we are
replacing them. Then the problem that the grid topology is not
designed for sources of energy coming from the hinterlands where
renewables will come from. The trunk of the tree is in the wrong
places.