"There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them" -- Heisenberg

tech / rec.audio.pro / Re: Neve 8108/8128

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Neve 8108/8128John O'Donnell
`- Re: Neve 8108/8128Scott Dorsey

1
Re: Neve 8108/8128

<b33d6a5f-46b2-4329-ab11-87faee2af12fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=rec.audio.pro#2256

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 10:21:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Neve 8108/8128
From: shattere...@gmail.com (John O'Donnell)
 by: John O'Donnell - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:21 UTC

On Monday, November 22, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Geoff Tanner wrote:
> In article <19991121130421...@ng-ba1.aol.com>,
> denn...@aol.com (Dennis4JC) wrote:
> > Dominique Grand inquires:>Could someone give his $.02 about those 2
> consoles?
> > What is the E.Q.
> > >section? What troubles should I expect? How does it sound ( I have
> > >6-1073, an old Helios console circa 75, and a
> > >Midas PR05 to beat...)? What's a good price range for 48 inputs? Are
> > >they worth the investment?
> > >
> > >Mucho thanks!!
> > >
> > >Dominique Grand
> > >WildSky Studio
> >
> > Being the owner of a 48in version of the sometimes maligned 8108, (top
> secret
> > code "N78" back in 1978 when the Neve designers plotted to take the
> audio world
> > by storm over pints of ale and mortadella sandwiches at the company
> picnic. Or
> > somethin like that, eh Geoff? ) I thought I'd toss a few of my
> thoughts into
> > the mix....I think the console sounds great.
> Hi Dennis
> That's a pretty fair appraisal you've given there! I've met engineers in
> 8108 studios who have told me that the EQ's were the best they had ever
> used. . . they certainly are pretty powerful with all that sweepin'!
> I dunno about mortadella sandwiches. . . the ones I ate were cheese and
> tomato with the white bread a little squigy from the tomato juices! The
> cans of beer were OK too and saved the necessity of tearing over to the
> Queen's Head at Fowlmere or the Dolphin in Melbourn (if you could get
> near the bar) plus all the dashing around to make sure I was back at my
> desk microseconds before my crew arrived back and I could tap my watch
> and look scornfully managerial!
> Mind you, with all the beer and food (in a conference room. . . no
> picnics!), I can't remember much about the ideas that were discussed but
> just looking at the console demonstrates the broad concepts!
> Anyone still owning an original 8108 brochure should look very hard at
> the bar graph meters. . . they are actually pieces of orange sticky tape
> against a black painted backing! The 250v dc bar graph displays arrived
> too late for the photo session!
> --
> Geoff Tanner
> phoeni...@earthlink.net
> http://www.phoenixaudio.com
> phone: 323 462 4373
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hello!
I'm posting to see if anyone has any advice for me.
I semi-recently purchased a replacement bus card for my 8128 from www.81series.com.
The stock computer in my desk works perfectly - all busses and routing are functional. However, the new replacement card is stuck in 32 track/40 channel frame size and doesn't respond to setting the frame size (the stock computer does, and allows 32, 40, and 48 tracks no problem). My desk is 56 channel, 48 bus.
I've tried seeking help from 81series (a man named Louis) but have subsequently been ignored for the past 10 months, blocked on social media, and as I live across the country from them I'm limited in my ability to rectify.
Primarily I'd love for this to work, and all of my communications have been pleading for help or troubleshooting. Short of this, I'd love for them to stand by their product as I currently have a $1,200 paper weight.
Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on how I may proceed? I found a 3rd party that I'm assuming are the original creators of the card (http://www..larione10.it/matrix/index.htm) but also have had no luck contacting them. I have some friends in New York that are able to swing by their studio as well as the 81series workshop if need be.
thanks for any input.

Re: Neve 8108/8128

<ujr077$i94$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2257&group=rec.audio.pro#2257

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
Date: 24 Nov 2023 20:14:31 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 20:14 UTC

John O'Donnell <shattered.records@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm posting to see if anyone has any advice for me.

Geoff Tanner would be the person around here to talk to, but he has not
been around here since the Death of Usenet. Might be worth looking up,
however.

>I semi-recently purchased a replacement bus card for my 8128 from www.81ser=
>ies.com.=20
>The stock computer in my desk works perfectly - all busses and routing are =
>functional. However, the new replacement card is stuck in 32 track/40 chann=
>el frame size and doesn't respond to setting the frame size (the stock comp=
>uter does, and allows 32, 40, and 48 tracks no problem). My desk is 56 chan=
>nel, 48 bus.

Okay, I have not touched one of those consoles in many years, but first of
all what does the service manual say and secondly why did you replace the
card in the first place? Did you buy it just to have a spare?

Pull the working card and the non-working card and look for differences.
Is there a jumper on one and not the other, a trace-jumper cut, an extra
diode or resistor? I wouldn't expect proms on a bus card, but are there
proms and if so do they have stickers on them with version numbers?

>I've tried seeking help from 81series (a man named Louis) but have subseque=
>ntly been ignored for the past 10 months, blocked on social media, and as I=
> live across the country from them I'm limited in my ability to rectify.
>Primarily I'd love for this to work, and all of my communications have been=
> pleading for help or troubleshooting. Short of this, I'd love for them to =
>stand by their product as I currently have a $1,200 paper weight.

This group is mostly dead today.... I don't know where active support for
that console exists. There's a Facebook group for users of the older Neve
consoles but I think this is likely too new to ask there.
--scott