From: noo...@nospam.com (Dimitris Tzortzakakis)
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: air conditioning and global warming
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:28:57 +0300
 by: Dimitris Tzortzakaki - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 10:28 UTC

as everyone knows, it's pleasant to sit in an air conditioned room in
all this heat. but a/cs do come with a penalty. according to the second
law of thermodynamics, as much heat as they extract from the air
conditioned room, the same heat they excrete to the environment, plus
the heat emitted from the compressor, and of course all the chain losses
the electricity needs to go from the generator to your plug. and as with
each heat wave more and more a/cs are added, adding their thermal loads
to the environment, each heat wave is worse than the previous one.
according to an article I read in www.lefigaro.fr , in french of course.
and as quaint as it might sound, a fan consumes 20 to 40 times less
electricity than an a/c!

Re: air conditioning and global warming

<9d6pci1ndlop3p3qihscub8n4pr0a1cslj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=237&group=alt.engineering.electrical#237

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Subject: Re: air conditioning and global warming
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 02:30:00 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 06:30 UTC

On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:28:57 +0300, Dimitris Tzortzakakis
<noone@nospam.com> wrote:

>as everyone knows, it's pleasant to sit in an air conditioned room in
>all this heat. but a/cs do come with a penalty. according to the second
>law of thermodynamics, as much heat as they extract from the air
>conditioned room, the same heat they excrete to the environment, plus
>the heat emitted from the compressor, and of course all the chain losses
>the electricity needs to go from the generator to your plug. and as with
>each heat wave more and more a/cs are added, adding their thermal loads
>to the environment, each heat wave is worse than the previous one.
>according to an article I read in www.lefigaro.fr , in french of course.
>and as quaint as it might sound, a fan consumes 20 to 40 times less
>electricity than an a/c!

You must live somewhere that doesn't get hot. A fan blowing 90 degree
air (30c) on you at 85% RH is not that refreshing and it is typically
hotter inside than outside unless you also have a big fan ventilating
the attic. I have 2 24" exhaust fans and running them is not as much
cheaper as you would expect. (1/4 HP each on high, 1/8th on low)