Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Time to hang it up?
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 23:06 UTC

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:55:53 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair
JJ, you can sleep comfortably knowing the old girl is resting and well accepted in the new home in Vero. Best to you, Old Bob, The Purist

Re: Time to hang it up?

<15585c2d-5e63-4fb3-bcd5-a4ac716ac4ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=23799&group=rec.aviation.soaring#23799

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnsinc...@yahoo.com (John Sinclair)
 by: John Sinclair - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 03:06 UTC

On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 4:06:11 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:55:53 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > Pat & JJ Sinclair
> JJ, you can sleep comfortably knowing the old girl is resting and well accepted in the new home in Vero. Best to you, Old Bob, The Purist

Thanks, Bob
I’m sure April will enjoy the bird!
No regrets on this end……….70 years in the cockpit, with 50 in sailplanes and I’ve looked the Grim Reaper straight in the eye, 3 times!……….It’s time for me to hang it up!
JJ