Today is a good day for information-gathering. Read someone else's mail file.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / what is your national team creation process?

SubjectAuthor
* what is your national team creation process?Edi Perfecto
`* Re: what is your national team creation process?Aldo Cernezzi
 `- Re: what is your national team creation process?Matthew Scutter

1
what is your national team creation process?

<3e0430e5-929b-49e1-8489-0aaa9788977bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=23851&group=rec.aviation.soaring#23851

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: what is your national team creation process?
From: eperfect...@gmail.com (Edi Perfecto)
 by: Edi Perfecto - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:06 UTC

Hello all, I am interested in how there is national gliding team created in different countries/federations. Is it based on last year National only or some rolling average of last two/three nationals? some ladder system? Do you have place in national team by class in which you compete in nationals? Picking by coach by subjective criteria?

Thanks for sharing your information!

Re: what is your national team creation process?

<6ad96689-d9ed-4895-adaa-1531446ac8ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=23858&group=rec.aviation.soaring#23858

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: what is your national team creation process?
From: cerna...@gmail.com (Aldo Cernezzi)
 by: Aldo Cernezzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 23:35 UTC

Hi!

Italy: currently just about 1.100 sailplane pilots, 60% quite active. About 300 pilots, posting OLC/WeGlide XC flights. About 100 active competition pilots, 40 of them with high experience and talent.

Selection of the national teams use the IGC Ranking List (in ranking order) as a first basis. We dedicate most attention to the first 25 places, and to anyone with a RL score >800pts. Current and recent National champions in any class are also taken into consideration, if not already in the top25.

Then a pilot, nominated as the Technical Administrator of the teams, evaluates each applicant for the given international Championship. Factors such as availability, participation in training meetings and/or training competition on the relevant airfield, and having an appropriate private sailplane available for such competition are generally taken into consideration.

Our NAC only offers partial reimbursement of entry fees, tows, the expenses of the team captain.

ciao,
Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Il giorno giovedì 28 ottobre 2021 alle 17:06:39 UTC+2 eperfe...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> Hello all, I am interested in how there is national gliding team created in different countries/federations.

Re: what is your national team creation process?

<3fb23e07-b870-4a09-b264-927d514a573bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=23859&group=rec.aviation.soaring#23859

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: yellowpl...@gmail.com (Matthew Scutter)
 by: Matthew Scutter - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 00:48 UTC

Australia selects based on your percentage of the winner's score at the last two Australian nationals, weighted 60% for the more recent and 40% for the one prior. You must fly the class you wish to be selected for in the 60% year.
You may also fly high-level international competitions as a substitute for one of those nationals. You get a small amount of money for attending world championships, which is collected as a levy on the entrants at the nationals.
Captains are selected by nomination and consensus.

Generally, the system works well and most people are happy with it. The biggest problem we face is to place well at the World Championships you really need to fly as a team, but team-flying is forbidden at our nationals; so you typically end up with a teammate who lives 2000km from you, who you've never flown with before.