From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Clothing
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 22:16:44 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 15 May 2023 02:16 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 08:33:01 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So you spent $120 for a jersey?

Which statement I have taken completely out of context (not to mention
having clicked "ignore" on the thread), so I'm starting a new thread
here.

The last jersey I bought cost $60, and prices have doubled since then,
so $120 seems quite reasonable. (Though I wouldn't pay more than $5
for the jersey depicted in the link that I omitted from the quote.)

I expect to pay more thane $120 for my next purchased jersey, if I
ever find someone to make it for me. I've become addicted to
clothing that suits the way I ride and the way I live, and no longer
have the energy to make it myself.

I'm hoping to complete the jersey that's in eighteen pieces in the
parlor, and made of quilting cotton for want of anything better in the
stores, in time to wear it in the Tour des Lakes this July, but I
don't think I'll make it.

But I also don't have the time to train up to riding forty miles
before the Tour, so I guess the jersey doesn't matter -- for that.

I deperately need it Right Now, as my cotton-jersey jersey doesn't
support my wallet, and my linen jersey is so worn that I have to iron
on patches every time I wear it. And it's also rather thick and
warm.

But I want to go somewhere tomorrow, which doesn't allow any time to
sew (I can't do two things in one day any more. Each shopping trip
reminds me that when I was first married, I could walk a mile to the
grocery store and come back with a gallon of milk in each hand, put on
a cobbler apron, and start the day's work.

-----------------

I wonder when "tomorrow" was?

Tomorrow, I plan to ride to Open Air carden center, and do some
shopping on the way back.

Haven't touched the sewing in days, but I did buy some elastic for
another project yesterday.

Humm . . . maybe I don't need sleeve-facings that are three inches
wide. A bit late to cut two-inch instead of three inches, though.
Not much of the black linen left.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Clothing

<1lje8i1e3rkq7buhoa7qjkdfqd4dlht7cg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=248&group=rec.bicycles.misc#248

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: Re: Clothing
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 13:00:48 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 17:00 UTC

On Sun, 14 May 2023 22:16:44 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I'm hoping to complete the jersey that's in eighteen pieces in the
> parlor, and made of quilting cotton for want of anything better in the
> stores, in time to wear it in the Tour des Lakes this July, but I
> don't think I'll make it.

I attached a belt casing this morning, so it's down to fourteen
pieces. I hope to attach three pockets this evening.

Oops, seventeen pieces. I forgot a snap fastener and a name tag.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Clothing

<ooef8i1ic62vjkb1r43gs1il6105nsltjm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=249&group=rec.bicycles.misc#249

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:43:49 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 00:43 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 13:00:48 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> I attached a belt casing this morning, so it's down to fourteen
> pieces. I hope to attach three pockets this evening.
>
> Oops, seventeen pieces. I forgot a snap fastener and a name tag.

I also forgot a piece of elastic and the twill tape for tapering its
ends where they are sewn into the side seam. (The tape will be cut in
half before being sewn into place.

Back pocket still unattached. The sewing machine started skipping
stitches after I changed the needle. I'll try another new needle in
the morning.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Clothing

<u6aj4q$3mv5a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=250&group=rec.bicycles.misc#250

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:21:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:21 UTC

On 2023-06-12, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2023 22:16:44 -0400, Joy Beeson
><jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping to complete the jersey that's in eighteen pieces in the
>> parlor, and made of quilting cotton for want of anything better in the
>> stores, in time to wear it in the Tour des Lakes this July, but I
>> don't think I'll make it.
>
> I attached a belt casing this morning, so it's down to fourteen
> pieces. I hope to attach three pockets this evening.
>
> Oops, seventeen pieces. I forgot a snap fastener and a name tag.

Sewing is (or is becoming) a lost art. I must have been one of the last
ones to have gone through Junior High School when Home Ec was still a thing.

Every year at least one girl managed to put a sewing machine needle through
her finger, it was all the talk of the school when it happened.

We gave our two daughters sewing lessons and we have a machine around the
house although it does not see much use since the kids grew up and flew the
coup.

Sigh.

pH in Aptos

Re: Clothing

<gpdv8i1r0jllv4auoblrmgmojjn0nc6lkl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=251&group=rec.bicycles.misc#251

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 22:05:29 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 02:05 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:43:49 -0400, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> Back pocket still unattached. The sewing machine started skipping
> stitches after I changed the needle. I'll try another new needle in
> the morning.

I sorted out the needle and sewed the back pocket on yesterday
evening, and attached two front belt casing today.

Lessee what that does for the eighteen pieces:

There are three pieces in the parlor, in my hand-sewing station on the
footlocker under the window: Elastic for the back pocket, a piece of
twill tape to be cut in half and sewn to the ends of the elastic, and
a roll of thick twill from which I intend to cut a belt.

The collar is still in three pieces: six.

The front pockets have the name tag and the snap sewn, but are not yet
attached to the front yoke: nine.

The back pocket isn't finished, but it *is* attached to the back: ten.

The back yoke and its liner are ready to sew to the front yoke:
twelve.

The front is ready to sew to the front yoke: thirteen.

Sleeves and sleeve facings: seventeen.

I must have missed something when I counted eighteen before attaching
all those bits.

I thought I could finish in time to wear the jersey on Wednesday, but
forgot that I have an appointment for tomorrow.