From: yourd...@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: rec.travel.cruises,nyc.politics,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc
Subject: 'An ominous presence': New York City bill aims to restrict cruise ship pollution
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:39:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:39 UTC

Efforts to regulate how cruise ships operate in New York City waterways
have locals speaking out about the negative effects the vessels have had
on their communities � and their health.

More than 200 cruise ships dock in New York each year, bringing an
estimated 1.3 million passengers and $420m in tourism spending to the
city. But the industry takes an environmental toll: just one cruise ship
docked for a day at port can emit diesel exhaust equivalent to 34,400
idling trucks.

Aerial view of an industrial plant, East St. Louis, Missouri
�Safe� air-quality levels in US, UK and EU still harmful for health, study
says
Read more
�I could literally see the black smoke for the entire day coming out of
the funnels,� said Adam Armstrong, a community activist who for years
lived steps away from the Brooklyn cruise ship terminal, in Red Hook. �It
was just an ominous presence.�

A new bill in the city council would crack down on diesel-powered luxury
liners, requiring them to connect to the city�s power grid when docked,
thus lowering their emissions. The bill would also tackle traffic, noise
and pollution related to disembarking passengers. If passed, New York
would become the first city on the east coast to pass such an ordinance.

�As an environmental justice community, we�re really looking seriously at
all the noxious infrastructure and pollutants in the air,� said the
councilmember Alexa Avil�s. Avil�s, whose district includes Red Hook,
introduced the bill in February with the councilmember Erik Bottcher.

�We�re seeing a community that is really frustrated with how long it has
taken [to adopt] offshore power,� said Aviles. �They�re seeing a situation
that�s getting worse, not getting better.�

The move comes nearly a year after one of the world�s largest cruise
ships, the 5,600-passenger MSC Meraviglia, started docking in Brooklyn.
Residents soon complained of traffic congestion related to the nearly 600
vehicles that arrived to transport passengers to destinations in the city.

�My business, one of the busiest restaurants in Red Hook, could not open
on time on numerous occasions when Meraviglia was docked because our
employees could not get to work,� said Susan Povich, the owner of Red Hook
Lobster Pound and chair of the Red Hook Business Alliance, at a rally in
support of the bill. �We have one street in and one street out.� She added
that few apparent passengers visited her business, despite its proximity
to the dock.

In 2017, Brooklyn became the first terminal on the east coast to operate
plug-in stations for ships at dock, costing the city $21m. By plugging
into the local electricity grid at the terminal, ships can keep running
without burning their diesel-powered engines. But not all vessels connect
to shore power � only 40% of cruise ships in service are equipped to plug
in to shore power, according to an industry group.

Though Meraviglia is shore power-equipped, its connector is too far out to
reach the stationary plug-in at the Brooklyn terminal � arguably, due to
its size.

A representative for the Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), the
non-profit that runs the cruise terminals, said that new long-term
agreements with three major cruise operators (which account for 85% of the
city�s cruise traffic) require ships docking at the Manhattan and Brooklyn
terminals to connect to shore power �when feasible� and involve traffic
mitigation plans.

They also said they were procuring a mobile jib that would allow more
ships to connect at the Brooklyn cruise terminal, adding �NYCEDC is deeply
committed to ensuring that the industry has an environmentally sound and
sustainable future in New York, and we will continue engaging with our
elected official partners and local community members to gather their
input on sustainability measures, traffic mitigation and community
benefits.�

Avil�s said the EDC had expressed support for the legislation �in
principle� but wanted to see what that looks like in practice. �They need
to get [shore power] in Brooklyn 100% functional at all times because
they�ve been dragging their feet on repairing it for a number of years,�
she said.

In addition to the cruise ship terminal, Red Hook, an industrial
neighborhood with one of the city�s largest public housing complexes, has
gained three Amazon last-mile warehouses since 2021. The sites bring
convoys of delivery trucks to narrow and predominantly one-way streets.
Last year, Guardian reporting found that more than 1,200 trucks and vans
pass through a single street over the course of a day.

Red Hook has one of the highest rates of asthma-related emergency visits
in New York City.

�Pollution from cruise ships, along with the trucks and last-mile
facilities is just one part of a compounding issue of the huge number of
pollutants in Red Hook,� said Avil�s. �The community is tired of being
dumped on as a last resort.�

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/27/new-york-city-cruise-ship-
pollution-bill

Re: 'An ominous presence': New York City bill aims to restrict cruise ship pollution

<iov4uipmf029g1dmkf8oa0mf7pc1vkkuui@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=254&group=alt.engineering.electrical#254

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 20:22:45 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:22 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 09:39:07 -0000 (UTC), useapen
<yourdime@outlook.com> wrote:

> [...]
>they’ve been dragging their feet on repairing it for a number of years,”
>she said.
>
>In addition to the cruise ship terminal, Red Hook, an industrial
>neighborhood with one of the city’s largest public housing complexes, has
>gained three Amazon last-mile warehouses since 2021. The sites bring
>convoys of delivery trucks to narrow and predominantly one-way streets.
>Last year, Guardian reporting found that more than 1,200 trucks and vans
>pass through a single street over the course of a day.
>
>Red Hook has one of the highest rates of asthma-related emergency visits
>in New York City.
>
>“Pollution from cruise ships, along with the trucks and last-mile
>facilities is just one part of a compounding issue of the huge number of
>pollutants in Red Hook,” said Avilés. “The community is tired of being

How many KVA does a decent sized cruise ship need? Some are a small
city. Must be a heluva plug.