From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: Triangle, and, OR
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:20:29 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 21:20 UTC

Well, Ol' Bob, since you asked, I believe all gliders should have
engines of some sort; some burning gasoline, some burning electricity in
the form of coal, hydrogen, methane (from cows), some using a wound
rubber band (powered by foot pedals).  ALL of the preceding and any
others that you can think of, should never venture further that one
statute mile from the center of the airport.  Any aircraft getting below
5,000' AGL or beyond the one-mile limit, should immediately land.

And the most important rule of all is that no engine shall ever be
stopped while the glider is in the air.

Dan
5J

On 3/6/22 13:18, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> There has been a bit if discussion lately about encouraging flights that consist of triangles vs, Derby flights or also identified as Out & Return flights. I am very new to this sport, but since 2020 I have evaluated many flights here in Florida and as I have previously stated that the triangle flight with parameters for legs is the most difficult flight of all. Please help a new guy out here and give your thoughts. Old Bob, The Purist

Re: Triangle, and, OR

<dbd760fe-7bdd-48f9-85a3-a9f659a815e5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25659&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25659

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 14:35:29 -0800 (PST)
From: youngblo...@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 22:35 UTC

On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 4:20:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Well, Ol' Bob, since you asked, I believe all gliders should have
> engines of some sort; some burning gasoline, some burning electricity in
> the form of coal, hydrogen, methane (from cows), some using a wound
> rubber band (powered by foot pedals). ALL of the preceding and any
> others that you can think of, should never venture further that one
> statute mile from the center of the airport. Any aircraft getting below
> 5,000' AGL or beyond the one-mile limit, should immediately land.
>
> And the most important rule of all is that no engine shall ever be
> stopped while the glider is in the air.
>
> Dan
> 5J
> On 3/6/22 13:18, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > There has been a bit if discussion lately about encouraging flights that consist of triangles vs, Derby flights or also identified as Out & Return flights. I am very new to this sport, but since 2020 I have evaluated many flights here in Florida and as I have previously stated that the triangle flight with parameters for legs is the most difficult flight of all. Please help a new guy out here and give your thoughts. Old Bob, The Purist
Dan, this brings us to another subject, can one carry a cow as a reserve means of propulsion in the event of a possible save? I did witness an engine failure in the air recently, it was like , I told you so!
I have never had an engine failure in a glider, wonder why? My rule about flying gliders is that a motor is not allowed, sorry Dan, but it is what it is. Just yesterday old Rich was bragging about the scores at the derby, actually they sucked. When I evaluated the fai triangle scores their scores sucked, I could have had my wife fly faster that those guys in their triangles. Oh well, hope all is good out west Dan, gas prices are at an all time high here in Florida, don't blame me!

Re: Triangle, and, OR

<t03f94$4pe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25660&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25660

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 16:14:43 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 23:14 UTC

Bob, get a CG-4 and you can carry a whole herd of cows with you!

OTOH...  I couldn't start my Stemme yesterday (a wave day, though not
very good).  It took the help of my young friend, Miguel, to wrestle the
battery out of the Stemme from below after removing many nuts, bolts,
washers, devices, etc.

A review of the logbook revealed that the battery was 8 years old and
there's no way to check the cells without laying in the mud, grass, or
cold concrete floor, cussing and bleeding to get it out of the belly in
the tail cone.  I have a new one on order but the Stemme is grounded
until it comes. There's no tow hook, don't'cha know...

Dan
5J