Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: LX7007 internal batteries

SubjectAuthor
* LX7007 internal batteriesMoshe Braner
+* Re: LX7007 internal batterieskinsell
|`* Re: LX7007 internal batteriesMoshe Braner
| +* Re: LX7007 internal batterieskinsell
| |`- Re: LX7007 internal batteriesDan Marotta
| `* Re: LX7007 internal batteriesTim Newport-Peace
|  `* Re: LX7007 internal batteriesMoshe Braner
|   `* Re: LX7007 internal batteriesDan Marotta
|    `- Re: LX7007 internal batterieskinsell
+- Re: LX7007 internal batteriesDan Marotta
`* Re: LX7007 internal batteries2G
 `* Re: LX7007 internal batteriesNick Hill
  `- Re: LX7007 internal batteriesMoshe Braner

1
LX7007 internal batteries

<t06e9h$1ss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25679&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25679

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: LX7007 internal batteries
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 21:16:19 -0500
 by: Moshe Braner - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 02:16 UTC

The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
internal batteries.

One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it powers
also holds the LX7007 settings. This battery is probably from 2009, or
2012 at the latest, and is now dead. So I need to replace it and then
have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.

The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
holds info that helps the GPS restart faster. It is probably as old as
the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know (without
removing it)? I would go ahead and replace it, except for the danger
that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current "epoch" and
never again get the right date, which would destroy the device
usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.

But would it? I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that issue?
This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the rage in
2005. I find little info about it online, and nothing about how it
handles the "epoch".

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t06ft5$4oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25681&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25681

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: LX7007 internal batteries
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 19:43:47 -0700
 by: kinsell - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 02:43 UTC

On 3/7/22 19:16, Moshe Braner wrote:
> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
> internal batteries.
>
> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it powers
> also holds the LX7007 settings.  This battery is probably from 2009, or
> 2012 at the latest, and is now dead.  So I need to replace it and then
> have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>
> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster.  It is probably as old as
> the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know (without
> removing it)?  I would go ahead and replace it, except for the danger
> that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current "epoch" and
> never again get the right date, which would destroy the device
> usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>
> But would it?  I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that issue?
>  This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the rage in
> 2005.  I find little info about it online, and nothing about how it
> handles the "epoch".

The issue was absolutely not limited to Garmin modules.

Here's a note for units newer than the one you have:

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GPS-WeekNumber-Rollover-Workaround_AppNote_%28UBX-19016936%29.pdf

I'd say it's almost certain the battery has already died, and would give
an incorrect date if it could be read.

-Dave

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t06j59$3qi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25683&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25683

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 22:39:25 -0500
 by: Moshe Braner - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 03:39 UTC

On 3/7/2022 9:43 PM, kinsell wrote:
> On 3/7/22 19:16, Moshe Braner wrote:
>> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
>> internal batteries.
>>
>> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it powers
>> also holds the LX7007 settings.  This battery is probably from 2009,
>> or 2012 at the latest, and is now dead.  So I need to replace it and
>> then have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>>
>> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
>> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster.  It is probably as old
>> as the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know
>> (without removing it)?  I would go ahead and replace it, except for
>> the danger that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current
>> "epoch" and never again get the right date, which would destroy the
>> device usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>>
>> But would it?  I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that
>> issue?   This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the
>> rage in 2005.  I find little info about it online, and nothing about
>> how it handles the "epoch".
>
> The issue was absolutely not limited to Garmin modules.
>
> Here's a note for units newer than the one you have:
>
> https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GPS-WeekNumber-Rollover-Workaround_AppNote_%28UBX-19016936%29.pdf
>

> I'd say it's almost certain the battery has already died, and would give
> an incorrect date if it could be read.
>
> -Dave

The GPS battery is probably dead, but, once the GPS gets a fix it is
still showing the right date. If it can do that with a dead battery, it
can't hurt to replace the battery, no? OTOH, without removing the
battery, I cannot be sure that it is really dead.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t06m59$vpc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25684&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25684

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 21:30:31 -0700
 by: kinsell - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 04:30 UTC

On 3/7/22 20:39, Moshe Braner wrote:
> On 3/7/2022 9:43 PM, kinsell wrote:
>> On 3/7/22 19:16, Moshe Braner wrote:
>>> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
>>> internal batteries.
>>>
>>> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it
>>> powers also holds the LX7007 settings.  This battery is probably from
>>> 2009, or 2012 at the latest, and is now dead.  So I need to replace
>>> it and then have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>>>
>>> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
>>> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster.  It is probably as old
>>> as the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know
>>> (without removing it)?  I would go ahead and replace it, except for
>>> the danger that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current
>>> "epoch" and never again get the right date, which would destroy the
>>> device usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>>>
>>> But would it?  I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that
>>> issue?   This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the
>>> rage in 2005.  I find little info about it online, and nothing about
>>> how it handles the "epoch".
>>
>> The issue was absolutely not limited to Garmin modules.
>>
>> Here's a note for units newer than the one you have:
>>
>> https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GPS-WeekNumber-Rollover-Workaround_AppNote_%28UBX-19016936%29.pdf
>>

>> I'd say it's almost certain the battery has already died, and would
>> give an incorrect date if it could be read.
>>
>> -Dave
>
> The GPS battery is probably dead, but, once the GPS gets a fix it is
> still showing the right date.  If it can do that with a dead battery, it
> can't hurt to replace the battery, no?  OTOH, without removing the
> battery, I cannot be sure that it is really dead.

There is a small chance the battery isn't dead and replacing it could
make things worse, but not likely. Sometimes the processor in the
system is used to add in a correction to the date to fix up the problem,
that may be happening here. We had an old Nano donated to our club with
a bad date, that was fixed with just a firmware update for the processor.

Another thing to watch out for with U-blox modules is they can have a
3-D lock, but a few minutes later the time jumps backwards by a few
seconds as a correction is added to the time. Some analysis software
ignores that, some flag it as a fatal error. Unfortunately U-blox is
used in both Clearnav and LXNav hardware, and it can pop up if you take
off right after seeing the 3-D lock.

Dave

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t07be9$qh3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25686&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25686

From: tim...@newportpeace.co.uk (Tim Newport-Peace)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 10:33:45 +0000
 by: Tim Newport-Peace - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 10:33 UTC

On 08/03/2022 03:39, Moshe Braner wrote:
> On 3/7/2022 9:43 PM, kinsell wrote:
>> On 3/7/22 19:16, Moshe Braner wrote:
>>> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
>>> internal batteries.
>>>
>>> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it
>>> powers also holds the LX7007 settings.  This battery is probably from
>>> 2009, or 2012 at the latest, and is now dead.  So I need to replace
>>> it and then have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>>>
>>> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
>>> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster.  It is probably as old
>>> as the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know
>>> (without removing it)?  I would go ahead and replace it, except for
>>> the danger that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current
>>> "epoch" and never again get the right date, which would destroy the
>>> device usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>>>
>>> But would it?  I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that
>>> issue?   This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the
>>> rage in 2005.  I find little info about it online, and nothing about
>>> how it handles the "epoch".
>>
>> The issue was absolutely not limited to Garmin modules.
>>
>> Here's a note for units newer than the one you have:
>>
>> https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GPS-WeekNumber-Rollover-Workaround_AppNote_%28UBX-19016936%29.pdf
>>

>> I'd say it's almost certain the battery has already died, and would
>> give an incorrect date if it could be read.
>>
>> -Dave
>
> The GPS battery is probably dead, but, once the GPS gets a fix it is
> still showing the right date.  If it can do that with a dead battery, it
> can't hurt to replace the battery, no?  OTOH, without removing the
> battery, I cannot be sure that it is really dead.

To replace the Sustainer Battery and Reseal requires the 7007 to be sent
to LX or their agent. At the same time ask them to replace the GPS
battery AND set the correct Epoch. They should be able to do this.

The alternative would be to replace the GPS Engine and a replacement
will have the current Epoch as default, or it is not Fit For Purpose.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t07uqk$p7f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25690&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25690

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:04:34 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:04 UTC

I was unable to find the internal battery for my LX7007 Pro IGC.  The
closest I could find were slightly thicker and, in forcing one into
place, I broke the battery holder. What to do?  I went to Amazon and
bought a bag of battery holders for the new batteries I had.  I got 5 or
10 of them for just a couple of dollars and was back in business.

I never did like the 7007.  It came with my glider.  So I bought a
ClearNav system and haven't looked back!

Dan
5J

On 3/7/22 19:16, Moshe Braner wrote:
> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
> internal batteries.
>
> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it powers
> also holds the LX7007 settings.  This battery is probably from 2009,
> or 2012 at the latest, and is now dead.  So I need to replace it and
> then have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>
> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster.  It is probably as old
> as the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know
> (without removing it)?  I would go ahead and replace it, except for
> the danger that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current
> "epoch" and never again get the right date, which would destroy the
> device usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>
> But would it?  I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that
> issue?  This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the rage
> in 2005.  I find little info about it online, and nothing about how it
> handles the "epoch".

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t07vvl$ugp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25691&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25691

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 09:24:21 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 16:24 UTC

On advice from this forum, I fixed that problem by changing my ClearNav
to record a fix every 4 seconds instead of every second.

Dan
5J

On 3/7/22 21:30, kinsell wrote:
> Another thing to watch out for with U-blox modules is they can have a
> 3-D lock, but a few minutes later the time jumps backwards by a few
> seconds as a correction is added to the time.  Some analysis software
> ignores that, some flag it as a fatal error. Unfortunately U-blox is
> used in both Clearnav and LXNav hardware, and it can pop up if you
> take off right after seeing the 3-D lock.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t094t6$vvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25706&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25706

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:54:33 -0500
 by: Moshe Braner - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 02:54 UTC

On 3/8/2022 5:33 AM, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
> On 08/03/2022 03:39, Moshe Braner wrote:

>>> The issue was absolutely not limited to Garmin modules.
>>>
>>> Here's a note for units newer than the one you have:
>>>
>>> https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/GPS-WeekNumber-Rollover-Workaround_AppNote_%28UBX-19016936%29.pdf
>>>

>>> I'd say it's almost certain the battery has already died, and would
>>> give an incorrect date if it could be read.
>>>
>>> -Dave
>>
>> The GPS battery is probably dead, but, once the GPS gets a fix it is
>> still showing the right date.  If it can do that with a dead battery,
>> it can't hurt to replace the battery, no?  OTOH, without removing the
>> battery, I cannot be sure that it is really dead.
>>

> To replace the Sustainer Battery and Reseal requires the 7007 to be sent
> to LX or their agent. At the same time ask them to replace the GPS
> battery AND set the correct Epoch. They should be able to do this.
>
> The alternative would be to replace the GPS Engine and a replacement
> will have the current Epoch as default, or it is not Fit For Purpose.

Given the high age and low value of this device, I took the chance and
replaced both batteries. I'm happy to report that it is working better,
and showing the right date. Now I just need it re-sealed by an
authorized agent, to make it IGC-secure again.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<edf860ac-a943-4a9d-8c68-a3170423ebdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25709&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25709

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 19:15:42 -0800 (PST)
From: soar2mor...@yahoo.com (2G)
 by: 2G - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 03:15 UTC

On Monday, March 7, 2022 at 6:16:21 PM UTC-8, Moshe Braner wrote:
> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
> internal batteries.
>
> One battery is for the IGC security, and the volatile memory it powers
> also holds the LX7007 settings. This battery is probably from 2009, or
> 2012 at the latest, and is now dead. So I need to replace it and then
> have the unit re-sealed for IGC security.
>
> The other battery (is it too a CR2450?) powers the GPS memory, which
> holds info that helps the GPS restart faster. It is probably as old as
> the other battery, and probably dead too - but how can I know (without
> removing it)? I would go ahead and replace it, except for the danger
> that removing it may cause the GPS to forget the current "epoch" and
> never again get the right date, which would destroy the device
> usefulness as an IGC flight recorder.
>
> But would it? I'm told only some old Garmin GPS modules had that issue?
> This LX7007 has a u-blox LEA-4H module, which was all the rage in
> 2005. I find little info about it online, and nothing about how it
> handles the "epoch".

Why not contact LxNav? They answer inquiries promptly and accurately.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t09pjf$1ai4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25713&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25713

From: nick.h...@stfc.ac.uk1 (Nick Hill)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:47:42 +0000
 by: Nick Hill - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:47 UTC

On 09/03/2022 03:15, 2G wrote:
> On Monday, March 7, 2022 at 6:16:21 PM UTC-8, Moshe Braner wrote:
>> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
>> internal batteries.
>

> Why not contact LxNav? They answer inquiries promptly and accurately.

LX7007 is supported by LXnavigation not LXNav.

--

Nick Hill

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t0afib$8o6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25714&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25714

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:02:39 -0500
 by: Moshe Braner - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 15:02 UTC

On 3/9/2022 3:47 AM, Nick Hill wrote:
> On 09/03/2022 03:15, 2G wrote:
>> On Monday, March 7, 2022 at 6:16:21 PM UTC-8, Moshe Braner wrote:
>>> The LX7007 Pro IGC that I am trying to bring back into use has two
>>> internal batteries.
>>

>> Why not contact LxNav? They answer inquiries promptly and accurately.
>
> LX7007 is supported by LXnavigation not LXNav.

And not a lot of "support" for this instrument (all of 14 years old?).
The company split may be part of the reason. I could find almost
nothing on their web sites when I looked for manual, firmware, utility
software, databases, etc.

Re: LX7007 internal batteries

<t0aqqs$7o5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25717&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25717

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:14:52 -0700
 by: Dan Marotta - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:14 UTC

Or simply use a different IGC recorder.

Dan
5J

<t0avd6$ec7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25720&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25720

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:32:54 -0700
 by: kinsell - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 19:32 UTC

It's a classical Concorde Dilemma. After pouring so much blood, sweat,
and tears (and money) into the project, he can't give up now!