<lilo> Fairlight: udp is the light margarine of tcp/ip transport protocols :) -- Seen on #Linux

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

SubjectAuthor
* Liquid Sunshine to the rescuekinsell
+* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueTango Eight
|+* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueEric Greenwell
||`- Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescuekinsell
|+* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueHank Nixon
||+* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueMark Mocho
|||`- Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueMartin Gregorie
||`* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueJonathan St. Cloud
|| `- Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueDan Marotta
|`- Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescuekinsell
`* Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueEric Greenwell
 `- Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescueMartin Gregorie

1
Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0nvac$slo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25817&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25817

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 11:51:05 -0600
 by: kinsell - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:51 UTC

Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.

Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/

The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<02cac853-be47-4efe-9cd0-c8c71df14c4en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25843&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25843

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 05:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue
From: tangoei...@gmail.com (Tango Eight)
 by: Tango Eight - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:46 UTC

On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
> worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
> future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>
> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
> are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
> carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
> unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
> Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
> air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
> temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
>
> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>
> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.

lol @ "the only question". I really enjoyed that.

For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial processes, those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like just another troll for stupid millionaires. But okay, truth be told, I just skimmed.

T8

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0q423$2e6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25845&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25845

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:24:18 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:24 UTC

On 3/15/2022 5:46 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
>> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
>> worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
>> future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>>
>> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
>> are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
>> carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
>> unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
>> Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
>> air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
>> temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
>>
>> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>>
>> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
>

> lol @ "the only question". I really enjoyed that.
>
> For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial processes, those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like just another troll for stupid millionaires. But okay, truth be told, I just skimmed.

Google "syngas". It's not a new concept, it's been studied for many years, and high
temperatures and CO2 are ways to adjust it's properties.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<61c87ee6-8f8e-4b90-b1ab-3286839f58b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25847&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25847

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 08:36:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: unclh...@earthlink.net (Hank Nixon)
 by: Hank Nixon - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:36 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 8:46:28 AM UTC-4, tango...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
> > Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
> > worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
> > future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
> >
> > Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
> > are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
> > carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
> > unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
> > Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
> > air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
> > temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
> >
> > https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
> >
> > The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
> lol @ "the only question". I really enjoyed that.
>
> For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial processes, those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like just another troll for stupid millionaires. But okay, truth be told, I just skimmed.
>
> T8

Laws of thermo in plain language:
1) You can't get something for nothing
2) You can't break even
3) Things are getting worse all the time.
I did learn something in thermo class.
UH

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0qiiu$j2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25848&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25848

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:32:12 -0600
 by: kinsell - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:32 UTC

On 3/15/22 06:46, Tango Eight wrote:
> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
>> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
>> worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
>> future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>>
>> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
>> are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
>> carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
>> unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
>> Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
>> air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
>> temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
>>
>> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>>
>> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
>

> lol @ "the only question". I really enjoyed that.
>
> For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial processes, those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like just another troll for stupid millionaires. But okay, truth be told, I just skimmed.
>
> T8

Speaking of stupid millionaires, remember that battery darling of R.A.S.
known as QuantumScape? When last we heard from them, the CEO was being
interviewed next to a stock price chart showing a meteoric rise to $114.

Fast forward a year, it's now trading under $14. Turns out the CEO was
awarded stock options worth up to $2.3 BILLION, and the company is being
sued in multiple investor lawsuits alleging phony test results were
released. Bill Gates was one of the big investors, wonder how he's doing?

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<c824aa4b-e9c2-4e9c-98d1-f066bd289085n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25849&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25849

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: markmoch...@gmail.com (Mark Mocho)
 by: Mark Mocho - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:33 UTC

> Laws of thermo in plain language:
> 1) You can't get something for nothing
> 2) You can't break even
> 3) Things are getting worse all the time.

Unfortunately, politicians and unicorn herders all think that the Laws of Physics and Thermodynamics have been repealed.

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0qkj4$ubb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25851&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25851

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:06:27 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:06 UTC

On 3/14/2022 10:51 AM, kinsell wrote:
> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't worry about shockingly
> short range electric planes, the fuel of the future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>
> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss are set to
> revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking carbon dioxide out of the air,
> mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid
> gold aka kerosene. Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
> air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low temperatures.  They
> have until next year to work out the details.
>
> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>
> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.

A diesel powered Pawnee would be awesome!

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0qlr3$1eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25853&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25853

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:27:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:27 UTC

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 10:33:10 -0700, Mark Mocho wrote:

>> Laws of thermo in plain language:
>> 1) You can't get something for nothing 2) You can't break even 3)
>> Things are getting worse all the time.
>
> Unfortunately, politicians and unicorn herders all think that the Laws
> of Physics and Thermodynamics have been repealed.

Synhelion, https://synhelion.com/ is a spin-off from ETH Zurich, which is
not exactly an unknown player in the science and engineering world.

To quote from Wikipedia: "ETH Zurich is a public research university in
the city of Zürich, Switzerland. Founded by the Swiss Federal Government
in 1854 with the stated mission to educate engineers and scientists, the
school focuses primarily on science, technology, engineering, and
mathematics."

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETH_Zurich
and here: https://www.ethz.ch/en.html

Their list of alumni is fairly impressive too.

All in all, I'd say that if anybody can make this work, its Synhelion.

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0qnva$1eq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25854&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25854

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 19:04:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 19:04 UTC

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 11:06:27 -0700, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> On 3/14/2022 10:51 AM, kinsell wrote:
>> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
>> worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
>> future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>>
>> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty
>> Swiss are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by
>> sucking carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and
>> baking at unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka
>> kerosene. Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide
>> from the air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve
>> unimaginably low temperatures.  They have until next year to work out
>> the details.
>>
>> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>>
>> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
>
> A diesel powered Pawnee would be awesome!

Not a Pawnee or a towplane, but check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loy2n8s_l00

Its a Fletcher FU-24, a NZ-developed topdressing aircraft. Usually fitted
with a 400hp flat-six Lycoming, this one has a big-block V-8 fitted and
burns diesel.

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t0qotb$aje$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25855&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25855

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:20:09 -0600
 by: kinsell - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 19:20 UTC

On 3/15/22 07:24, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On 3/15/2022 5:46 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
>> On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
>>> Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
>>> worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
>>> future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
>>>
>>> Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
>>> are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
>>> carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
>>> unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
>>> Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
>>> air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
>>> temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
>>>
>>> https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
>>>
>>> The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
>>

>> lol @ "the only question".  I really enjoyed that.
>>
>> For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ
>> -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial
>> processes,  those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us
>> that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like
>> just another troll for stupid millionaires.  But okay, truth be told,
>> I just skimmed.
>>

> Google "syngas". It's not a new concept, it's been studied for many
> years, and high temperatures and CO2 are ways to adjust it's properties.

You start with a bunch of electrons, neutrons, and protons, you can
synthesize about anything in a lab, given enough energy, money, and the
proper tooling. You can convert lead into gold if you really want to:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-lead-can-be-turned-into-gold/

Some things that can be done in a lab just aren't practical out in the
real world, producing product at scale and doing it with reasonable
economics.

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<cd716cb6-68d0-4992-8ca4-ad6a950e6754n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25961&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25961

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:40:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: jonathan...@gmail.com (Jonathan St. Cloud)
 by: Jonathan St. Cloud - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 02:40 UTC

I studied Thermodynamics while earning a degree in Chem E. I have never heard the three laws so beautifully simplified, and damn funny. Now could you
reduce fugacity to the same level of simplicity please?

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 8:36:32 AM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 8:46:28 AM UTC-4, tango...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
> > > Forget those hydrogen balloons, turn your nose up at ammonia, don't
> > > worry about shockingly short range electric planes, the fuel of the
> > > future is here -- rehydrated carbon dioxide.
> > >
> > > Stealing a page from the playbook of Boom Supersonic, those crafty Swiss
> > > are set to revolutionize flying (and everything else) just by sucking
> > > carbon dioxide out of the air, mixing in a touch of steam, and baking at
> > > unimaginable high temperatures to produce liquid gold aka kerosene.
> > > Details of how exactly they'll be sucking that carbon dioxide from the
> > > air haven't been disclosed, perhaps it will involve unimaginably low
> > > temperatures. They have until next year to work out the details.
> > >
> > > https://thepointsguy.com/news/swiss-solar-fuel/
> > >
> > > The only question now is how to convert a Pawnee to run on kerosene.
> > lol @ "the only question". I really enjoyed that.
> >
> > For those of us that can "imagine" -- and in my case routinely employ -- temperatures much higher than 1500 C in various industrial processes, those of us that didn't sleep through thermo, those of us that have done some energy conversion engineering, this looks like just another troll for stupid millionaires. But okay, truth be told, I just skimmed.
> >
> > T8
> Laws of thermo in plain language:
> 1) You can't get something for nothing
> 2) You can't break even
> 3) Things are getting worse all the time.
> I did learn something in thermo class.
> UH

Re: Liquid Sunshine to the rescue

<t1cptr$m08$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25965&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25965

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:27:54 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:27 UTC

Back in my early engineering days the rules were:

1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.
3. You can't even quit the game.

Dan