Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: § 61.87 (i)
From: jimlewis...@gmail.com (jp)
 by: jp - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:33 UTC

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 8:02:51 PM UTC-7, shaun_...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Question for CFI-Gs
>
> Was more or less told that I'm laboring under a gross misapprehension of fact by a newly minted glider instructor with regard to the above FAR.
>
> I am new to sailplanes. Been flying since 1976 so I've probably been flying longer than this guy is old. Haven't asked, don't really give a shit.
>
> But.....trying to keep an open mind. When I read the basis of the rule making and of course the Soaring Safety Foundation stuff it was pretty clear why they included:
>
> "procedures for assembly/disassembly of the glider"
>
> Or so I thought until the CFI-G set me straight. Apparently, fatal accidents, or the training that might prevent them, is something I've totally taken out of context. It's not an issue at all.
>
> So.....things that I did notice -
>
> Students who soloed without ever getting training on assembly/disassembly of a sailplane. Is it a huge deal if you're doing nothing but flying club ships? Maybe not. But that isn't what the FAR says. It's also not what several well written books on the subject (Some of which are actually sold by said club) say either.
>
> Funny, in a way, but I have to use this quote -
>
> "They should at least read the regs to be aware of what FAR they're violating."
>
> Indeed.
>
> What do CFI-Gs do? Everybody skip that part? Somebody skip it? Should it skipped at all and if so, why? Since half post anonymously this is a great opportunity for learning and candor.

Item 13 in 14 CFR 61.87(i) says "Procedures for disassembly and assembly of the glider". Sometimes it seems useful and appropriate to take an FAR literally and other times it seems useful and appropriate to try and dig out the "spirit" of an FAR. This item in 61.87(i) does not say "experience in assembly and disassembly of the glider".

This is likely old news to many CFIGs but it leaves me feeling uneasy. On the other hand many aspects of flying instruction leave me feeling uneasy.

Few, if any, soaring schools have the means to provide actual disassembly / assembly experience to every pre-solo student. This may lead some to skip this subject entirely. This is a bad idea in my view. Likely the most that can and should be provided to pre-solo students is a thoughtful oral presentation of the important actions and issues in assembly / disassembly along with instruction in preflight inspections that includes the factors that are affected by the assembly of the glider. Instruction in what to check for during the preflight inspection is vital.