From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Subject: Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:59:14 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 16:59 UTC

A Quora
James Scott
Former Army Paratrooper, turned EMT, now turned Firefighter Thu

Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?

No. Eurofighter Typhoon is purely land based jet and no more capable of
launching from, or landing on, a US Aircraft Carrier than an F-15, or
F-16, or F-22 (none of those are carrier capable either).

Now, the French Dassault Rafale is a different story. The Rafale M is a
carrier capable version for the French Naval Aviation (the French Navy
is the only other Navy in the world to utilize US style CATOBAR Aircraft
Carriers using catapults and trap wires, their Aircraft Carrier Charles
de Gaulle is also the only other nuclear powered aircraft carrier in use
outside the US Navy).

So the French Navy Rafales are the only foreign jets that can operate
from US Carriers (and US F/A-18s can likewise use the Charles de
Gaulle). Every once in a while they do practice this with eachother.

So that's the Rafale. But the Eurofighter Typhoon? No, it cannot.

66.2K viewsView 663 upvotesView shares

Re: Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?

<sffrrv$2ht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2623&group=rec.aviation.military#2623

From: jef...@ukra.com (Jeff)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Subject: Re: Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:26:38 +0100
 by: Jeff - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:26 UTC

On 16/08/2021 17:59, a425couple wrote:
> A Quora
> James Scott
> Former Army Paratrooper, turned EMT, now turned Firefighter Thu
>
> Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?
>
> No. Eurofighter Typhoon is purely land based jet and no more capable of
> launching from, or landing on, a US Aircraft Carrier than an F-15, or
> F-16, or F-22 (none of those are carrier capable either).

A typhoon could possibly land on a conventional carrier, it does
actually have an arrestor hook, but it would probably severely damage
the airframe as it is not intended for short deck landings but rather
runway overruns. It would need barriers as well as the hook would
probably be ripped out.

So in a dire emergency possibly yes, but not to be recommended.

Jeff

Re: Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?

<fd346066-39b7-4185-bb89-bf03d1739a97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=2632&group=rec.aviation.military#2632

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 02:51 UTC

On Monday, August 16, 2021 at 12:00:05 PM UTC-5, a425couple wrote:
> A Quora
> James Scott
> Former Army Paratrooper, turned EMT, now turned Firefighter Thu
>
> Can a Eurofighter Jet land on a US carrier?
>
> No. Eurofighter Typhoon is purely land based jet and no more capable of
> launching from, or landing on, a US Aircraft Carrier than an F-15, or
> F-16, or F-22 (none of those are carrier capable either).
>
> Now, the French Dassault Rafale is a different story. The Rafale M is a
> carrier capable version for the French Naval Aviation (the French Navy
> is the only other Navy in the world to utilize US style CATOBAR Aircraft
> Carriers using catapults and trap wires, their Aircraft Carrier Charles
> de Gaulle is also the only other nuclear powered aircraft carrier in use
> outside the US Navy).
>
> So the French Navy Rafales are the only foreign jets that can operate
> from US Carriers (and US F/A-18s can likewise use the Charles de
> Gaulle). Every once in a while they do practice this with each other.

I have a vague memory that, years ago, there was some consideration given to
building a carrier-capable version of the Eurofighter.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist