"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." -- Voltaire

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

SubjectAuthor
* ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
+- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNJohn Godfrey
`* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNCharles Gillespie
 `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNBruce
  `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNCharles Gillespie
   `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
    `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNPhilip Lee
     `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
      `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMoshe Braner
       `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
        `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
         `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
          `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDan Marotta
           `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
            `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNdavid.s....@gmail.com
             +* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDavis Chappins
             |`- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNdavid.s....@gmail.com
             `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDan Marotta
              `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMartin Gregorie
               +* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNCharlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot)
               |`* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMartin Gregorie
               | `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDan Marotta
               |  `- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMark Mocho
               +* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDan Marotta
               |`* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMartin Gregorie
               | `* Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNDan Marotta
               |  +- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMatthew Scutter
               |  `- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNMartin Gregorie
               `- Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGNFrank Whiteley

Pages:12
ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<2537a8fb-d467-4432-b936-35442e3f0607n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26231&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26231

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:40:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 23:40 UTC

With the discussion about OGN data happening in another thread, now is a good time to say that I have been forwarding ADSB locations to the OGN.

It's running on my raspberry pi at home alongside the SPOT/Inreach to OGN scripts.
I have been running it since Feb and seems to be working well.

Why did I do this? I got bored last year and wanted to do a project in python to learn the language more and this sounded like fun.

How will you know if the position is from ADSB or FLARM? Some OGN websites will show the receiver detecting the aircraft (or source of the data), "ADSBExch" is visible in that field when the position is coming from ADSB data.

How does it work?
This script connects to an ADSB API (for ADSB positions) and the OGN (for FLARM positions). The script listens to both sources and manages a traffic list composed of each unique aircraft's position, speed, altitude, etc from both sources.

If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.

To be seen, you will need to have a Mode S (non ADSB and be within MLAT range) or a Mode S (with ADSB) transponder. The script is set up to run on my pi from 9a to 8p MST, 7 days a week. And at the moment it is only set up to scan the North American lat/lon range.

The API is queried at 10 second intervals then the valid positions are sent to the OGN. For tracking, the signal has a refresh rate of somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds. A much lower resolution than the OGN's 1-2 second position intervals but ADSB has a much larger range.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<502780b2-300d-42c7-bd33-d5f529267642n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26234&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26234

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 05:34:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN
From: quebec.t...@gmail.com (John Godfrey)
 by: John Godfrey - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:34 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 7:40:49 PM UTC-4, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> With the discussion about OGN data happening in another thread, now is a good time to say that I have been forwarding ADSB locations to the OGN.
>
> It's running on my raspberry pi at home alongside the SPOT/Inreach to OGN scripts.
> I have been running it since Feb and seems to be working well.
>
> Why did I do this? I got bored last year and wanted to do a project in python to learn the language more and this sounded like fun.
>
> How will you know if the position is from ADSB or FLARM? Some OGN websites will show the receiver detecting the aircraft (or source of the data), "ADSBExch" is visible in that field when the position is coming from ADSB data.
>
> How does it work?
> This script connects to an ADSB API (for ADSB positions) and the OGN (for FLARM positions). The script listens to both sources and manages a traffic list composed of each unique aircraft's position, speed, altitude, etc from both sources.
>
> If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
> If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.
>
> To be seen, you will need to have a Mode S (non ADSB and be within MLAT range) or a Mode S (with ADSB) transponder. The script is set up to run on my pi from 9a to 8p MST, 7 days a week. And at the moment it is only set up to scan the North American lat/lon range.
>
> The API is queried at 10 second intervals then the valid positions are sent to the OGN. For tracking, the signal has a refresh rate of somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds. A much lower resolution than the OGN's 1-2 second position intervals but ADSB has a much larger range.
Outstanding!

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<ffade3a3-bbe9-4300-bba2-27bb8482eb49n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26242&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26242

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: gillespi...@gmail.com (Charles Gillespie)
 by: Charles Gillespie - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:43 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:40:49 PM UTC-6, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> With the discussion about OGN data happening in another thread, now is a good time to say that I have been forwarding ADSB locations to the OGN.
>
> It's running on my raspberry pi at home alongside the SPOT/Inreach to OGN scripts.
> I have been running it since Feb and seems to be working well.
>
> Why did I do this? I got bored last year and wanted to do a project in python to learn the language more and this sounded like fun.
>
> How will you know if the position is from ADSB or FLARM? Some OGN websites will show the receiver detecting the aircraft (or source of the data), "ADSBExch" is visible in that field when the position is coming from ADSB data.
>
> How does it work?
> This script connects to an ADSB API (for ADSB positions) and the OGN (for FLARM positions). The script listens to both sources and manages a traffic list composed of each unique aircraft's position, speed, altitude, etc from both sources.
>
> If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
> If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.
>
> To be seen, you will need to have a Mode S (non ADSB and be within MLAT range) or a Mode S (with ADSB) transponder. The script is set up to run on my pi from 9a to 8p MST, 7 days a week. And at the moment it is only set up to scan the North American lat/lon range.
>
> The API is queried at 10 second intervals then the valid positions are sent to the OGN. For tracking, the signal has a refresh rate of somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds. A much lower resolution than the OGN's 1-2 second position intervals but ADSB has a much larger range.

Hi Davis, cool project. Do you know if the pushed ADSB targets create duplication with existing FLARM targets on OGN displays?

Charlie

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<70cdc83e-0263-4cfe-8b6b-077a0d0f52f3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26243&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26243

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: brucesai...@gmail.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 15:55 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 7:43:50 AM UTC-7, gilles...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:40:49 PM UTC-6, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> > With the discussion about OGN data happening in another thread, now is a good time to say that I have been forwarding ADSB locations to the OGN.
> >
> > It's running on my raspberry pi at home alongside the SPOT/Inreach to OGN scripts.
> > I have been running it since Feb and seems to be working well.
> >
> > Why did I do this? I got bored last year and wanted to do a project in python to learn the language more and this sounded like fun.
> >
> > How will you know if the position is from ADSB or FLARM? Some OGN websites will show the receiver detecting the aircraft (or source of the data), "ADSBExch" is visible in that field when the position is coming from ADSB data.
> >
> > How does it work?
> > This script connects to an ADSB API (for ADSB positions) and the OGN (for FLARM positions). The script listens to both sources and manages a traffic list composed of each unique aircraft's position, speed, altitude, etc from both sources.
> >
> > If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
> > If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.
> >
> > To be seen, you will need to have a Mode S (non ADSB and be within MLAT range) or a Mode S (with ADSB) transponder. The script is set up to run on my pi from 9a to 8p MST, 7 days a week. And at the moment it is only set up to scan the North American lat/lon range.
> >
> > The API is queried at 10 second intervals then the valid positions are sent to the OGN. For tracking, the signal has a refresh rate of somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds. A much lower resolution than the OGN's 1-2 second position intervals but ADSB has a much larger range.
> Hi Davis, cool project. Do you know if the pushed ADSB targets create duplication with existing FLARM targets on OGN displays?
>
> Charlie

Quoted from Davis's original message

If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<a4344d0d-a402-4173-b528-99c47d90c1e7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26246&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26246

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 11:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: gillespi...@gmail.com (Charles Gillespie)
 by: Charles Gillespie - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 18:26 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 9:55:05 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 7:43:50 AM UTC-7, gilles...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:40:49 PM UTC-6, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > With the discussion about OGN data happening in another thread, now is a good time to say that I have been forwarding ADSB locations to the OGN.
> > >
> > > It's running on my raspberry pi at home alongside the SPOT/Inreach to OGN scripts.
> > > I have been running it since Feb and seems to be working well.
> > >
> > > Why did I do this? I got bored last year and wanted to do a project in python to learn the language more and this sounded like fun.
> > >
> > > How will you know if the position is from ADSB or FLARM? Some OGN websites will show the receiver detecting the aircraft (or source of the data), "ADSBExch" is visible in that field when the position is coming from ADSB data.
> > >
> > > How does it work?
> > > This script connects to an ADSB API (for ADSB positions) and the OGN (for FLARM positions). The script listens to both sources and manages a traffic list composed of each unique aircraft's position, speed, altitude, etc from both sources.
> > >
> > > If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
> > > If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.
> > >
> > > To be seen, you will need to have a Mode S (non ADSB and be within MLAT range) or a Mode S (with ADSB) transponder. The script is set up to run on my pi from 9a to 8p MST, 7 days a week. And at the moment it is only set up to scan the North American lat/lon range.
> > >
> > > The API is queried at 10 second intervals then the valid positions are sent to the OGN. For tracking, the signal has a refresh rate of somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds. A much lower resolution than the OGN's 1-2 second position intervals but ADSB has a much larger range.
> > Hi Davis, cool project. Do you know if the pushed ADSB targets create duplication with existing FLARM targets on OGN displays?
> >
> > Charlie
> Quoted from Davis's original message
> If a glider position exists from ADSB and not from FLARM, that glider's position is pushed to the OGN from the ADSB source.
> If a glider position exists from both ADSB and FLARM, that glider's ADSB position will only be pushed to the OGN when the FLARM source is 120 seconds older than the ADSB source. Thereby seamlessly transitioning between the high refresh rate FLARM position and a lower refresh rate but larger ranged ADSB position.

I can see that to be true. I was watching a couple of gliders doing airwork at Boulder on GlideandSeek and GliderRadar. One of our club gliders which has ADSB and a FLARM registered on OGN, toggles between OGN and ADSBExch as its receiver source while in the air (within line of sight to OGN receiver) and exclusively ADSBExch while on the ground (when it drops below line of sight to OGN receiver). The other glider from the nearby commercial operation shows ADSBExch both on the ground and in the air, suggesting that it has ADSB and and no FLARM equipped, or has a FLARM which is not registered to OGN. Good stuff!

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<ce02b56a-9f21-4c4c-ac7f-9397fae7043bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26912&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26912

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:19:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Wed, 18 May 2022 17:19 UTC

https://i.imgur.com/808hJkM.png

Last Saturday had about 50 ADSB gliders being forwarded to the OGN, which is cool.
This python script continues to run on my pi at home. If anyone knows of a more professional hosting, feel free to reach out.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<8713b5b5-5baf-43f8-921b-d0c9788676e1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26930&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26930

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: rocketma...@gmail.com (Philip Lee)
 by: Philip Lee - Fri, 20 May 2022 01:38 UTC

I moved some of my OGN/python scripts to AWS without issue couple of years ago. Costs about $10/mo.

On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 10:19:12 AM UTC-7, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://i.imgur.com/808hJkM.png
>
> Last Saturday had about 50 ADSB gliders being forwarded to the OGN, which is cool.
> This python script continues to run on my pi at home. If anyone knows of a more professional hosting, feel free to reach out.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<fb3abd4d-327a-46e2-b3cb-d9353a924bdbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29395&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29395

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 08:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:55 UTC

All,
If you have a Mode S (non ADSB) transponder in your glider you will show up on the OGN via my ADSB script. If you also equip your Mode S glider with an OGN Tracker, two targets will show up! One from Mode S and one from the OGN Tracker. This is undesirable.

This issue does not occur with ADSB equipped and FLARM equipped gliders because the icao IDs are the same. In the case of Mode S + OGN Tracker the icao IDs are different (the OGN Tracker has its own id that is not linked in any way to the N number of the aircraft).

To prevent this issue I have created a "black list" of icao IDs and N numbers that suppresses those ADSB positions leaving only the OGN Tracker position.

So,
If you equip your glider with an OGN Tracker and now see two positions on the OGN, add your glider to OGNTrackerBlackList.csv at https://github.com/DavisChappins/ADSBtoOGN to fix it. This list is updated once a day at 4am PST so changes will not take effect until the next day.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tj9aep$24tmn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29399&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29399

From: moshe.br...@gmail.com (Moshe Braner)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 14:38:17 -0400
 by: Moshe Braner - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:38 UTC

On 10/25/2022 11:55 AM, Davis Chappins wrote:
> All,
> If you have a Mode S (non ADSB) transponder in your glider you will show up on the OGN via my ADSB script. If you also equip your Mode S glider with an OGN Tracker, two targets will show up! One from Mode S and one from the OGN Tracker. This is undesirable.
>
> This issue does not occur with ADSB equipped and FLARM equipped gliders because the icao IDs are the same. In the case of Mode S + OGN Tracker the icao IDs are different (the OGN Tracker has its own id that is not linked in any way to the N number of the aircraft).
>
> To prevent this issue I have created a "black list" of icao IDs and N numbers that suppresses those ADSB positions leaving only the OGN Tracker position.
>
> So,
> If you equip your glider with an OGN Tracker and now see two positions on the OGN, add your glider to OGNTrackerBlackList.csv at https://github.com/DavisChappins/ADSBtoOGN to fix it. This list is updated once a day at 4am PST so changes will not take effect until the next day.

How many people are using a pure "OGN tracker"? If one is using the
SoftRF software then it does allow one to enter the aircraft ICAO ID, to
be used instead of the device ID, same as is done with a FLARM.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<b6bbafc3-a012-4d23-998e-2483797cf3b2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29401&group=rec.aviation.soaring#29401

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 19:12 UTC

Good question.

In this thread OGN Tracker = softrf.

My understanding is that the device ID is fixed and unable to be changed like FLARM. If it is able to be changed I am unfamiliar with how it works. https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Settings
I am using the rev 1.1 firmware that comes preloaded.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<2921db8b-aec6-42bd-b630-d289f28a8d8dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30717&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30717

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 11:19:05 -0800 (PST)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 19:19 UTC

Unfortunately my API key has expired, apparently it had a 1yr life.
Until I can secure a working key no ADSB data will be forwarded to the OGN.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30809&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30809

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:50:13 -0800 (PST)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 03:50 UTC

So good news I was able to find an API from flightradar24 and adapt my script to pull from that. I took the time to improve it and now it tracks by ICAO type https://www.icao.int/publications/doc8643/pages/search.aspx instead of squawk. This means it does track gliders on the ground.

I have the following ICAO types covered: GLID,S10S,S12S,LK17,AS25,AS26,AS24,A32P,AS28,A33P,A33E,AS30,AS31,DISC,NIMB,ARCP,ARCE,VENT,VNTE,JS1J,JS2J,JS2P,JS3J,JS3E,EB29,U15,DIMO,RF10
Am I missing any?

I also improved the timing of the API requests and it will wait longer and longer to ping the API depending on the gap between valid ADSB signals.

I am unsure about how many API requests I can do in a 24hr period from my IP before flightradar24 starts denying my requests so I'd like to host this on the cloud. Maybe several instances that have different IPs that could run at the same time....Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30817&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30817

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 12:06:41 -0700
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 19:06 UTC

Would a VPN masking your IP address be beneficial? I know that I get
three times the bandwidth at home when I turn on my VPN.

Dan
5J

On 1/22/23 20:50, Davis Chappins wrote:
> snip
>
> I am unsure about how many API requests I can do in a 24hr period from my IP before flightradar24 starts denying my requests so I'd like to host this on the cloud. Maybe several instances that have different IPs that could run at the same time....Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30897&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30897

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:27:34 -0800 (PST)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 23:27 UTC

Dan,
Good idea. I do have a 2nd pi lying around and signed up for a vpn on that pi.
Now that 2nd one is also running the same ADSB forwarding script as the first one, from a separate IP. I have been making about 2000 API calls per 24h and have not yet been blocked. For reference the website will do the same every 5s if left open.

If you are looking on glidertracker.org or similar and see the signal source as ADSBfr24 or ADSBFR24 the source is flightradar24 ADSB.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30902&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30902

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From: david.s....@gmail.com (david.s....@gmail.com)
 by: david.s....@gmail.co - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 02:20 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:27:37 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dan,
> Good idea. I do have a 2nd pi lying around and signed up for a vpn on that pi.
> Now that 2nd one is also running the same ADSB forwarding script as the first one, from a separate IP. I have been making about 2000 API calls per 24h and have not yet been blocked. For reference the website will do the same every 5s if left open.
>
> If you are looking on glidertracker.org or similar and see the signal source as ADSBfr24 or ADSBFR24 the source is flightradar24 ADSB.

how does the speed improvement come about? Do the messages somehow take a more efficient route? Offhand one might expect a less efficient route since an extra hop is required to go from the VPN to your real IP address.

I'm not doubting that this result has been observed but am genuinely curious and hoping to learn more.

Thanks,
...david

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<d7c0abf5-4ebf-4f4c-bd84-42c6d62e6107n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30912&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30912

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:28:07 -0800 (PST)
From: davis.ch...@gmail.com (Davis Chappins)
 by: Davis Chappins - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:28 UTC

David,
What do you mean by "speed improvement"?

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<c82160aa-00c8-4051-8208-1c4aec097ba3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30914&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30914

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 06:59:00 -0800 (PST)
From: david.s....@gmail.com (david.s....@gmail.com)
 by: david.s....@gmail.co - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 14:59 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 9:28:10 AM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> David,
> What do you mean by "speed improvement"?
Davis,

Sorry, I should have quoted other text. I was replying to Dan M.'s comment that using a VPN gives him a 3x bandwidth improvement.

Cheers,
...david

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30923&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30923

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:04:05 -0700
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:04 UTC

I'm not up on VPN technology but the vendor, NordVPN, in my case says
that they bypass my ISP's servers altogether. I can't see how they
could do that, since my ISP connects the wire to my house, which
connects to a fiber in the service box in the neighborhood, which I
would assume, connects to their servers.

But the fact remains that, when using an internet speed test program on
my laptop and on my TV (through Amazon FireTV 4K) the results are
noticeable. Here are some numbers:

Visio TV using Amazon FirTV 4K Stick
With VPN
download @ 56.84 Mbps, upload @ 10.91 Mbps
download @ 149.07 Mbps, upload @ 21.05 Mbps

Laptop, Asus, Ubuntu Linux 22.04 64-bit
Without VPN download @ 76.07 Mbps, upload @ 9.67 Mbps
With VPN download @ 78.9 Mbps, upload @ 10.09 Mbps

It would appear that it doesn't make much difference on my laptop, but a
huge difference on my TV as evidenced by buffering at times without the
VPN but not with it turned on. The TV runs an Android operating system
which may also contribute to it's much improved performance using the VPN.

Dan
5J

On 1/26/23 19:20, david.s....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:27:37 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Dan,
>> Good idea. I do have a 2nd pi lying around and signed up for a vpn on that pi.
>> Now that 2nd one is also running the same ADSB forwarding script as the first one, from a separate IP. I have been making about 2000 API calls per 24h and have not yet been blocked. For reference the website will do the same every 5s if left open.
>>
>> If you are looking on glidertracker.org or similar and see the signal source as ADSBfr24 or ADSBFR24 the source is flightradar24 ADSB.
>
> how does the speed improvement come about? Do the messages somehow take a more efficient route? Offhand one might expect a less efficient route since an extra hop is required to go from the VPN to your real IP address.
>
> I'm not doubting that this result has been observed but am genuinely curious and hoping to learn more.
>
> Thanks,
> ...david

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30928&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30928

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 23:52:37 -0000 (UTC)
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Martin Gregorie - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 23:52 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:04:05 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

> I'm not up on VPN technology but the vendor, NordVPN, in my case says
> that they bypass my ISP's servers altogether. I can't see how they
> could do that, since my ISP connects the wire to my house, which
> connects to a fiber in the service box in the neighborhood, which I
> would assume, connects to their servers.

Interesting.

Does the path a packet takes to reach a target destination from your
laptop, differ depending on whether VPN is on or off?

It would be worthwhile to see if 'traceroute' shows ant differences: it is
a toool that shows the route a probe message sent by it takes across
t'interwebs, so sending the probe to the same destination with VPN on and
then off should clearly show whether the path the probe message takes
depends on the VPN setting, and *may* also show time-of-flight
differences (provided they don't just get lost in Internet traffic queues,
and switching delays).

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<c2653bf9-476c-47fb-931c-c4301648e71dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30932&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30932

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:09:38 -0800 (PST)
From: charlied...@gmail.com (Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot))
 by: Charlie M. (UH, Pi & - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 03:09 UTC

On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 6:52:44 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:04:05 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:
>
> > I'm not up on VPN technology but the vendor, NordVPN, in my case says
> > that they bypass my ISP's servers altogether. I can't see how they
> > could do that, since my ISP connects the wire to my house, which
> > connects to a fiber in the service box in the neighborhood, which I
> > would assume, connects to their servers.
> >
> Interesting.
>
> Does the path a packet takes to reach a target destination from your
> laptop, differ depending on whether VPN is on or off?
>
> It would be worthwhile to see if 'traceroute' shows ant differences: it is
> a toool that shows the route a probe message sent by it takes across
> t'interwebs, so sending the probe to the same destination with VPN on and
> then off should clearly show whether the path the probe message takes
> depends on the VPN setting, and *may* also show time-of-flight
> differences (provided they don't just get lost in Internet traffic queues,
> and switching delays).
>

> --
>
> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org
In older Windows (not sure above XP pro....sigh....) you are looking at a "traceroot"?

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr350p$27i76$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30935&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30935

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:38:49 -0000 (UTC)
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me> <tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me>
<c2653bf9-476c-47fb-931c-c4301648e71dn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:38 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:09:38 -0800 (PST), Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002
owner/pilot) wrote:

> In older Windows (not sure above XP pro....sigh....) you are looking at
> a "traceroot"?

I suggested 'traceroute' because I noticed that Dan, like myself, is using
Linux.

--

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr3kds$29mu7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30938&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30938

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:01:48 -0700
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me> <tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 17:01 UTC

That would be interesting to try, Martin, but it's above my software
paygrade. Perhaps you could supply the complete command? I have it
installed but am not having success with working it.

If you use a proper (read old fashioned) news reader, you should have my
email address...

Dan
5J

On 1/27/23 16:52, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:04:05 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:
>
>> I'm not up on VPN technology but the vendor, NordVPN, in my case says
>> that they bypass my ISP's servers altogether. I can't see how they
>> could do that, since my ISP connects the wire to my house, which
>> connects to a fiber in the service box in the neighborhood, which I
>> would assume, connects to their servers.
>>
> Interesting.
>
> Does the path a packet takes to reach a target destination from your
> laptop, differ depending on whether VPN is on or off?
>
> It would be worthwhile to see if 'traceroute' shows ant differences: it is
> a toool that shows the route a probe message sent by it takes across
> t'interwebs, so sending the probe to the same destination with VPN on and
> then off should clearly show whether the path the probe message takes
> depends on the VPN setting, and *may* also show time-of-flight
> differences (provided they don't just get lost in Internet traffic queues,
> and switching delays).

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr3kio$29mu7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30939&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30939

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:04:23 -0700
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me> <tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me>
<c2653bf9-476c-47fb-931c-c4301648e71dn@googlegroups.com>
<tr350p$27i76$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 17:04 UTC

....Cuz Windows drives me batshit crazy. I'm still trying to stop the
(multiple) daily notifications I receive on my phone that my "Windows
account needs attention." I haven't used Windows in a long time and I
finally tried cancelling the account. Best they would do was say that
it would be cancelled in 30 days if I didn't change my mind. Still
waiting...

Dan
5J

On 1/28/23 05:38, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:09:38 -0800 (PST), Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002
> owner/pilot) wrote:
>
>> In older Windows (not sure above XP pro....sigh....) you are looking at
>> a "traceroot"?
>>
> I suggested 'traceroute' because I noticed that Dan, like myself, is using
> Linux.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<63d677d1-1dcd-4f83-8b16-78d150aa3b38n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30941&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30941

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:02:25 -0800 (PST)
<ffade3a3-bbe9-4300-bba2-27bb8482eb49n@googlegroups.com> <70cdc83e-0263-4cfe-8b6b-077a0d0f52f3n@googlegroups.com>
<a4344d0d-a402-4173-b528-99c47d90c1e7n@googlegroups.com> <ce02b56a-9f21-4c4c-ac7f-9397fae7043bn@googlegroups.com>
<8713b5b5-5baf-43f8-921b-d0c9788676e1n@googlegroups.com> <fb3abd4d-327a-46e2-b3cb-d9353a924bdbn@googlegroups.com>
<tj9aep$24tmn$1@dont-email.me> <b6bbafc3-a012-4d23-998e-2483797cf3b2n@googlegroups.com>
<2921db8b-aec6-42bd-b630-d289f28a8d8dn@googlegroups.com> <9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me> <43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com> <tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me>
<tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me> <c2653bf9-476c-47fb-931c-c4301648e71dn@googlegroups.com>
<tr350p$27i76$1@dont-email.me> <tr3kio$29mu7$2@dont-email.me>
From: markmoch...@gmail.com (Mark Mocho)
 by: Mark Mocho - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 20:02 UTC

"Cuz Windows drives me batshit crazy. "

Windows is the world's best-selling virus.

Re: ADSB data on now viewable on the OGN

<tr4akr$27i76$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=30945&group=rec.aviation.soaring#30945

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 23:21:00 -0000 (UTC)
<9fc8ab90-a745-452a-a327-c3eb89ef7f5en@googlegroups.com>
<tqmls1$3ntf5$1@dont-email.me>
<43c716c0-3cd9-4f32-94a8-0ef443c9ccbdn@googlegroups.com>
<bd30bb2d-1e89-4a94-b174-6f7bda37796bn@googlegroups.com>
<tr1anl$1r1ln$1@dont-email.me> <tr1o45$1pku1$1@dont-email.me>
<tr3kds$29mu7$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Martin Gregorie - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 23:21 UTC

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:01:48 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

> That would be interesting to try, Martin, but it's above my software
> paygrade. Perhaps you could supply the complete command? I have it
> installed but am not having success with working it.

From the command line its a single line command: "traceroute hostname",
for instance, to try it against one of my domain names, run this to see
what it does,

traceroute libelle-systems.com

Two Linux tips:
"man commandname" tells you everything you need to know about a command by
displaying its 'manpage', i.e. its manual page

"apropos 'a word or phrase'" searches the first, summary, line of all the
manpages on your system and shows a list of
matches. On a Linux/UNIX system every
standard program or library function has a
manpage, so this is 'apropos' a v. useful