"Money is the root of all money." -- the moving finger

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

SubjectAuthor
* Skysight weather on Oudie NDoug Levy
`* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Bick (DY)
 +- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDoug Levy
 `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDoug Levy
  `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NPaul Remde
   +* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDirk_PW
   |`- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NPaul Remde
   +- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NMichael N.
   `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Greenwell
    +* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDan Marotta
    |`* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Greenwell
    | +* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDan Marotta
    | |`* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Greenwell
    | | `- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDan Marotta
    | `- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NMichael N.
    `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NPaul Remde
     `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Greenwell
      `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NPaul Remde
       `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NJason Leonard
        `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NMatthew Scutter
         `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDan Marotta
          `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NDoug Levy
           `* Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NRamy
            `- Re: Skysight weather on Oudie NEric Bick (DY)

1
Skysight weather on Oudie N

<1e8fa525-5331-4470-97d9-e8d94a2a5253n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25908&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25908

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Skysight weather on Oudie N
From: doug1...@gmail.com (Doug Levy)
 by: Doug Levy - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:08 UTC

I've been using Skysight convergence and wind info for years on my Oudie 2. After the connector failed on my Oudie 2 I purchased an Oudie N. I have the N set up with Skysight information and linked to my iPhone and home wifi.
The weather shows up fine for a few hours but then goes away later in the flight. The weather showed up longer on Navigator on the phone but it later disappeared as well. My last flight was 5 hours. The Oudie N lost weather after about 2 hours, the phone after about 4 hours.
I've seen the same issue when driving with the Oudie N in my car without an internet connection.
On the Oudie 2, I would download the weather in the morning for the day. Connecting the Oudie N to the Naviter updater does not work, it requires a WIfi connection. I have it connected to my phone and home wifi.
I've sent Naviter support for advice and help but have not heard back from them.
Has anyone had similar experiences or advice?

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<6ea7d494-72ba-4d38-8e04-18ad235f8b34n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=25915&group=rec.aviation.soaring#25915

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 06:37:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N
From: usoar...@gmail.com (Eric Bick (DY))
 by: Eric Bick (DY) - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:37 UTC

I have been in regular correspondence with Naviter re Oudie N for several months testing the software. It is taking a few days for them to respond right now, as they are working to get additional features added (such as the polar for my AMS Carat, which is now there). Here is their response to my query for the Oudie N unit re what you wrote:

“Yes, currently weather data will be loaded only with a good Internet connection. In the future, we will also add the possibility to download weather data for offline use upfront.

Note you can also follow the development roadmap in this comparison table:
https://naviter.com/compare-oudie-n

I tested this, like you did, on a long road trip. The current map, via cell connection (I put my phone SIM in the Oudie N) was fine so long as the SIM card was inserted. After taking out the SIM card, the convergence/winds/wave info faded as we moved to the next time epoch. I don’t know whether it will update the maps on the fly if you are using a hotspot via your iPhone. Their info says to put the SIM card in the Oudie N, I believe. I’m hoping to fly with it sometime in the next month or so.- once we get some decent weather in Moriarty.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<5512fd0e-5145-4b55-989c-ca53e576561bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26033&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26033

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:15:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: doug1...@gmail.com (Doug Levy)
 by: Doug Levy - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:15 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
> I have been in regular correspondence with Naviter re Oudie N for several months testing the software. It is taking a few days for them to respond right now, as they are working to get additional features added (such as the polar for my AMS Carat, which is now there). Here is their response to my query for the Oudie N unit re what you wrote:
>
> “Yes, currently weather data will be loaded only with a good Internet connection. In the future, we will also add the possibility to download weather data for offline use upfront.
>
> Note you can also follow the development roadmap in this comparison table:
> https://naviter.com/compare-oudie-n
>
> I tested this, like you did, on a long road trip. The current map, via cell connection (I put my phone SIM in the Oudie N) was fine so long as the SIM card was inserted. After taking out the SIM card, the convergence/winds/wave info faded as we moved to the next time epoch. I don’t know whether it will update the maps on the fly if you are using a hotspot via your iPhone. Their info says to put the SIM card in the Oudie N, I believe. I’m hoping to fly with it sometime in the next month or so.- once we get some decent weather in Moriarty.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<756a1267-90c6-488d-8976-7df049474ef2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26034&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26034

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:28:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: doug1...@gmail.com (Doug Levy)
 by: Doug Levy - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:28 UTC

On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
> I have been in regular correspondence with Naviter re Oudie N for several months testing the software. It is taking a few days for them to respond right now, as they are working to get additional features added (such as the polar for my AMS Carat, which is now there). Here is their response to my query for the Oudie N unit re what you wrote:
>
> “Yes, currently weather data will be loaded only with a good Internet connection. In the future, we will also add the possibility to download weather data for offline use upfront.
>
> Note you can also follow the development roadmap in this comparison table:
> https://naviter.com/compare-oudie-n
>
> I tested this, like you did, on a long road trip. The current map, via cell connection (I put my phone SIM in the Oudie N) was fine so long as the SIM card was inserted. After taking out the SIM card, the convergence/winds/wave info faded as we moved to the next time epoch. I don’t know whether it will update the maps on the fly if you are using a hotspot via your iPhone. Their info says to put the SIM card in the Oudie N, I believe. I’m hoping to fly with it sometime in the next month or so.- once we get some decent weather in Moriarty.

I did get a response from Naivter;

Hi Doug,

sorry to keep you waiting for answers!

USA SkySight weather display issue is well noted on our end. I have added your case to our internal issue for this as well. We will certainly notify you when it is troubleshot!

> I like to fly with polarized sunglasses. The display on the Oudie N appears black with my sunglasses on. Can the display be changed to landscape instead of portrait mode?
Using polarized sunglasses with LCD displays is, unfortunately, no go.

This is a physical limitation - most modern LCDs use a polarizing filter to help you see the screen in bright sunlight. But so do polarized sunglasses, meaning the two essentially cancel each other out, causing your LCD screen to appear dark or completely black when you look at it.

> I have a Phoenix motor glider. Can a polar be made for it and added to the list of aircraft?
Of course!

Please send us the following information for the specific glider polar:

Best glide ratio and speed,
Minimum sink rate and minimum sink speed,
Reference Weight for which the above values are correct,
Link to the manufacturer's web page.

Kind regards,

Jost Napret
Enabling pilot excellence

Note: I did get to fly again on March 24. I did see the Skysight convergence during the 5-hour flight. Jost's message was received on 3/23. I have not heard back from them yet.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<180af22c-be88-4c27-b7e3-adbae57663bbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26047&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26047

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: pau...@remde.us (Paul Remde)
 by: Paul Remde - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:38 UTC

Hi,

The previous SkySight weather issue in SeeYou Navigator was fixed in the latest beta version. It is working well now on my Oudie N. I think the iPhone and Android beta versions with the fix are also available now.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 11:28:55 PM UTC-5, Doug Levy wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
> > I have been in regular correspondence with Naviter re Oudie N for several months testing the software. It is taking a few days for them to respond right now, as they are working to get additional features added (such as the polar for my AMS Carat, which is now there). Here is their response to my query for the Oudie N unit re what you wrote:
> >
> > “Yes, currently weather data will be loaded only with a good Internet connection. In the future, we will also add the possibility to download weather data for offline use upfront.
> >
> > Note you can also follow the development roadmap in this comparison table:
> > https://naviter.com/compare-oudie-n
> >
> > I tested this, like you did, on a long road trip. The current map, via cell connection (I put my phone SIM in the Oudie N) was fine so long as the SIM card was inserted. After taking out the SIM card, the convergence/winds/wave info faded as we moved to the next time epoch. I don’t know whether it will update the maps on the fly if you are using a hotspot via your iPhone. Their info says to put the SIM card in the Oudie N, I believe. I’m hoping to fly with it sometime in the next month or so.- once we get some decent weather in Moriarty.
> I did get a response from Naivter;
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> sorry to keep you waiting for answers!
>
> USA SkySight weather display issue is well noted on our end. I have added your case to our internal issue for this as well. We will certainly notify you when it is troubleshot!
>
> > I like to fly with polarized sunglasses. The display on the Oudie N appears black with my sunglasses on. Can the display be changed to landscape instead of portrait mode?
> Using polarized sunglasses with LCD displays is, unfortunately, no go.
>
> This is a physical limitation - most modern LCDs use a polarizing filter to help you see the screen in bright sunlight. But so do polarized sunglasses, meaning the two essentially cancel each other out, causing your LCD screen to appear dark or completely black when you look at it.
>
> > I have a Phoenix motor glider. Can a polar be made for it and added to the list of aircraft?
> Of course!
>
> Please send us the following information for the specific glider polar:
>
> Best glide ratio and speed,
> Minimum sink rate and minimum sink speed,
> Reference Weight for which the above values are correct,
> Link to the manufacturer's web page.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Jost Napret
> Enabling pilot excellence
>
> Note: I did get to fly again on March 24. I did see the Skysight convergence during the 5-hour flight. Jost's message was received on 3/23. I have not heard back from them yet.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<0a72e3ab-c0d6-44db-a482-7bec5887a2a5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26053&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26053

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:25:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: dirkna...@gmail.com (Dirk_PW)
 by: Dirk_PW - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 02:25 UTC

> > > I have a Phoenix motor glider. Can a polar be made for it and added to the list of aircraft?
> > Of course!
> >
> > Please send us the following information for the specific glider polar:
> >
> > Best glide ratio and speed,
> > Minimum sink rate and minimum sink speed,
> > Reference Weight for which the above values are correct,
> > Link to the manufacturer's web page.

Are you saying the Oudie N will not allow entering of custom polar data (via coefficients) like other computers?

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<b012ed77-240e-4c6f-b197-3cd7cc7943a7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26055&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26055

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 04:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: pau...@remde.us (Paul Remde)
 by: Paul Remde - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:59 UTC

Hi Dirk,

At this time, it is not possible to enter customer glider polar coefficients into SeeYou Navigator. I think Naviter is trying to keep it simple for pilots, perhaps with the added benefit of increasing their glider polar database - to the benefit of owners of somewhat unique or rare sailplanes. Naviter is quick to add new gliders to the database once complete data has been received. I don't know if they plan to add customer polar data coefficient support in the future.

Best Regards
Paul Remde

On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 9:25:22 PM UTC-5, Dirk_PW wrote:
> > > Of course!
> > >
> > > Please send us the following information for the specific glider polar:
> > >
> > > Best glide ratio and speed,
> > > Minimum sink rate and minimum sink speed,
> > > Reference Weight for which the above values are correct,
> > > Link to the manufacturer's web page.
> Are you saying the Oudie N will not allow entering of custom polar data (via coefficients) like other computers?

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<2218679e-1661-46b8-8b0c-3f267141964bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26056&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26056

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: mikell...@gmail.com (Michael N.)
 by: Michael N. - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:14 UTC

On Sunday, March 27, 2022 at 6:38:46 PM UTC-4, pa...@remde.us wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The previous SkySight weather issue in SeeYou Navigator was fixed in the latest beta version. It is working well now on my Oudie N. I think the iPhone and Android beta versions with the fix are also available now.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
> On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 11:28:55 PM UTC-5, Doug Levy wrote:
On my Android device I am not seeing an option in the Play Store to install the Beta of SeeYou Navigator?
How do I set my Android device up to use the Beta releases? I thought this was supposed to show as an option but I am not seeing it.

I'm currently running an Oudie 2 with SeeYou and am exploring the possibility of moving to SeeYou Navigator on Android.

Mike N.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t1skb1$1gki$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26057&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26057

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:30:42 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:30 UTC

What was the previous weather issue? Does the beta version allow downloading the Skysight
forecasts for offline use during the flight?

Eric

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t1sncq$9cf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26058&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26058

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:22:46 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:22 UTC

Oh great! Now I have another reason to keep my head inside the cockpit
rather than outside. AND, if I have to bail out over the mountains, my
cell phone battery will be depleted. Seriously, I'll give it a look on
my Android phone but I doubt I'll use it in flight.

But more seriously, in the past week or so, a local man took a walk a
mile or two from where he parked his car and got lost. He had cell
coverage and called family to tell them he was lost. They found his
body a few days later...

People who are going to be away from city streets should really develop
the ability to navigate without the use of electronics.

Dan
5J

<t1sohr$1p54$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26059&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26059

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:42:36 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:42 UTC

If you are really worried about keeping your head in the cockpit, sell the Stemme and get
a Std class glider with fixed gear! But seriously, it becomes part of the instrument scan
and doesn't add a significant amount to head-down time. A glance at the Skysight screen
every few minutes is plenty.

Your cell phone battery is not a problem: you should not be using it in-flight, as it is
safety equipment. Use a dedicated device, instead:

- get a separate phone for the Skysight display, only $100-$200 for an good used one.
- connect that phone to the glider battery with a USB charger ($5-15) or 5V battery pack,
(you can do this with your personal phone, of course, and always have a fully charged
phone in-flight)
- get a flight computer that can display Skysight, like the Oudie-N, LXNav

Eric

<t1spgk$pvb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26060&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26060

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:58:55 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:58 UTC

I guess the sarcasm was missed.

I neither need nor want an in-cockpit real time weather display. But I
am considering parting with the Stemme in the next year or so.

Different strokes...

Dan
5J

<4d902839-fcf5-4ebc-b210-cd44bc62c8b0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26061&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26061

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:07:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: mikell...@gmail.com (Michael N.)
 by: Michael N. - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:07 UTC

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 12:42:40 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> If you are really worried about keeping your head in the cockpit, sell the Stemme and get
> a Std class glider with fixed gear! But seriously, it becomes part of the instrument scan
> and doesn't add a significant amount to head-down time. A glance at the Skysight screen
> every few minutes is plenty.
>
> Your cell phone battery is not a problem: you should not be using it in-flight, as it is
> safety equipment. Use a dedicated device, instead:
>
> - get a separate phone for the Skysight display, only $100-$200 for an good used one.
> - connect that phone to the glider battery with a USB charger ($5-15) or 5V battery pack,
> (you can do this with your personal phone, of course, and always have a fully charged
> phone in-flight)
> - get a flight computer that can display Skysight, like the Oudie-N, LXNav
>
> Eric

Just FYI:
This is what I am testing for an Android device to put SeeYou Navigator on:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133851697021

It is a Samsung 8.7" Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 32GB with 8.7 inch diagonal screen.

I've got a home made mount in my Ventus in place of my Oudie2 mount location.
Works well, and I tested sitting in the cockpit with full sunlight, and display is was quite readable under full sunlight.
The screen brightness of this tablet seems to be very good, but I have yet to actually fly with it.

I also purchased a Naviter Bluetooth dongle for my S80 vario. https://kb.naviter.com/en/kb/bluetooth-dongle-for-lxnav-user-port/
I installed the dongle and powered up the S80 vario and SeeYou Navigator on the tablet connected to the vario via bluetooth and was able to display vario data.

I'm really waiting for the SeeYou Navigator update that will allow Flarm data to pass through from the S80 / Power Flarm core, which does work in SeeYou on the Oudie 2 but has yet to be released on SeeYou Navigator
I'm not selling my Oudie 2 yet (probably keep it for a while anyway), but SeeYou Navigator on an 8.7" tablet is looking promising to date.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t1stmt$c7g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26062&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26062

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:10:37 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:10 UTC

On 3/28/2022 9:58 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
> I guess the sarcasm was missed.

It just sounded like the normal you :^)

> I neither need nor want an in-cockpit real time weather display.

So far, I've used it only for blue wave in areas where I haven't flown wave. It was
terrific for that situation. I look forward to using it in other situations, like
convergence, which is often not marked well in my usual area.

But I am considering
> parting with the Stemme in the next year or so.

Is there another glider in your plans?

> Different strokes...
>
> Dan
> 5J
>
> On 3/28/22 10:42, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> If you are really worried about keeping your head in the cockpit, sell the Stemme and
>> get a Std class glider with fixed gear! But seriously, it becomes part of the instrument
>> scan and doesn't add a significant amount to head-down time. A glance at the Skysight
>> screen every few minutes is plenty.
>>
>> Your cell phone battery is not a problem: you should not be using it in-flight, as it is
>> safety equipment. Use a dedicated device, instead:
>>
>> - get a separate phone for the Skysight display, only $100-$200 for an good used one.
>> - connect that phone to the glider battery with a USB charger ($5-15) or 5V battery
>> pack,  (you can do this with your personal phone, of course, and always have a fully
>> charged phone in-flight)
>> - get a flight computer that can display Skysight, like the Oudie-N, LXNav
>>
>> Eric

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t1tfc6$9qj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26063&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26063

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:12:06 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:12 UTC

Haven't decided. I got the Stemme because my wife wanted to fly with me
and didn't want a tandem. I think she now prefers the Cessna 180 and
the gyro.

With apologies to Bob Y., if I get a single seater, it'll have to be
self launch. It appears the local operation will be closing down soon,
perhaps this year.

What's the word on the Jeta?

Dan
5J

On 3/28/22 12:10, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> Is there another glider in your plans?

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<b01f3352-08a0-4068-b29e-e8cf9f8def16n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26067&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26067

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 04:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: pau...@remde.us (Paul Remde)
 by: Paul Remde - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:52 UTC

Hi Eric,

The issue was that PFD maps weren't working in my region. All the SkySight maps are working well now.

It is not possible yet to download SkySight maps before flight. However, on my iPhone I can do that in the Safari browser in the SkySight website. On my Android TRIPLTEK I can do that in SkySight in Google Chrome.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
_________________________

On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 10:30:48 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> What was the previous weather issue? Does the beta version allow downloading the Skysight
> forecasts for offline use during the flight?
>
> Eric
> On 3/27/2022 3:38 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The previous SkySight weather issue in SeeYou Navigator was fixed in the latest beta version. It is working well now on my Oudie N. I think the iPhone and Android beta versions with the fix are also available now.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Paul Remde
> > Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

> >> I did get a response from Naivter;
> >>
> >> Hi Doug,
> >>
> >> sorry to keep you waiting for answers!
> >>
> >> USA SkySight weather display issue is well noted on our end. I have added your case to our internal issue for this as well. We will certainly notify you when it is troubleshot!

> >> Using polarized sunglasses with LCD displays is, unfortunately, no go.
> >>
> >> This is a physical limitation - most modern LCDs use a polarizing filter to help you see the screen in bright sunlight. But so do polarized sunglasses, meaning the two essentially cancel each other out, causing your LCD screen to appear dark or completely black when you look at it.

> >> Of course!
> >>
> >> Please send us the following information for the specific glider polar:
> >>
> >> Best glide ratio and speed,
> >> Minimum sink rate and minimum sink speed,
> >> Reference Weight for which the above values are correct,
> >> Link to the manufacturer's web page.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >>

> >> Jost Napret
> >> Enabling pilot excellence
> >>
> >> Note: I did get to fly again on March 24. I did see the Skysight convergence during the 5-hour flight. Jost's message was received on 3/23. I have not heard back from them yet.
> --
> Eric Greenwell - USA
> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t1uuhk$1as6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26068&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26068

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 05:37:09 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:37 UTC

What model iPhone do you have? It doesn't work on my iPhone 6.

On 3/29/2022 4:52 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> The issue was that PFD maps weren't working in my region. All the SkySight maps are working well now.
>
> It is not possible yet to download SkySight maps before flight. However, on my iPhone I can do that in the Safari browser in the SkySight website. On my Android TRIPLTEK I can do that in SkySight in Google Chrome.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde

Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<a2d2eb0d-c4e0-4d42-9e99-7281c5886f28n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26069&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26069

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 05:42:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: pau...@remde.us (Paul Remde)
 by: Paul Remde - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:42 UTC

Hi Eric,

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. If I remember correctly, an important step in getting it to work was to use Safari, not Google Chrome, and to save the link to the homepage of the iPhone - as if it was an app.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 7:37:12 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> What model iPhone do you have? It doesn't work on my iPhone 6.
> On 3/29/2022 4:52 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > The issue was that PFD maps weren't working in my region. All the SkySight maps are working well now.
> >
> > It is not possible yet to download SkySight maps before flight. However, on my iPhone I can do that in the Safari browser in the SkySight website. On my Android TRIPLTEK I can do that in SkySight in Google Chrome.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Paul Remde
> --
> Eric Greenwell - USA
> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<7eb16746-c6e0-4707-8cf0-a947d90db856n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26074&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26074

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbl....@gmail.com (Jason Leonard)
 by: Jason Leonard - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:23 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 8:42:12 AM UTC-4, pa...@remde.us wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. If I remember correctly, an important step in getting it to work was to use Safari, not Google Chrome, and to save the link to the homepage of the iPhone - as if it was an app.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul Remde
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 7:37:12 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > What model iPhone do you have? It doesn't work on my iPhone 6.
> > On 3/29/2022 4:52 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
> > > Hi Eric,
> > >
> > > The issue was that PFD maps weren't working in my region. All the SkySight maps are working well now.
> > >
> > > It is not possible yet to download SkySight maps before flight. However, on my iPhone I can do that in the Safari browser in the SkySight website. On my Android TRIPLTEK I can do that in SkySight in Google Chrome.
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > >
> > > Paul Remde
> > --
> > Eric Greenwell - USA
> > - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> > https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

For those of you looking to use SkySight on your Android devices while offline: check out the SkySight app in the app store. I have used it offline a few times. Another option, which is really slick, is do a screen recording of the weather as you tap through the interesting time points. Then save it, and add it to the home screen side bar. That way while you're on XC Soar or whatever, you swipe to show the side bar, and can access the data instantly. Just a little trick, and keeps you outside the cockpit.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<a30bb888-8ca3-4c5b-9a8d-9b8b85500fbbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26075&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26075

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 19:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: matt...@skysight.io (Matthew Scutter)
 by: Matthew Scutter - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 02:38 UTC

To clarify - there is no App in the App Store on iOS or Android. On both devices you can instead "install" the website via your browser Settings -> Add to Homescreen. This enables the offline functionality.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<t222v5$6m7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26080&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26080

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:11:01 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 17:11 UTC

My XCSoar device is a Dell Streak 5 running Android 3. I doubt Skysight
will run on that, but it's worth a look.

Dan
5J

On 3/29/22 20:38, Matthew Scutter wrote:
> To clarify - there is no App in the App Store on iOS or Android. On both devices you can instead "install" the website via your browser Settings -> Add to Homescreen. This enables the offline functionality.

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<7b17e643-3e2c-4743-a08d-fa6eb663d0dfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26225&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26225

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: doug1...@gmail.com (Doug Levy)
 by: Doug Levy - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:37 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:11:05 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> My XCSoar device is a Dell Streak 5 running Android 3. I doubt Skysight
> will run on that, but it's worth a look.
>
> Dan
> 5J
> On 3/29/22 20:38, Matthew Scutter wrote:
> > To clarify - there is no App in the App Store on iOS or Android. On both devices you can instead "install" the website via your browser Settings -> Add to Homescreen. This enables the offline functionality.

I flew on 4/7. I connected my Oudie N to by iPhone using the phone as a hotspot. I had Navigator running on my phone also. Less than an hour into the flight the Skysight weather disappeared from the Oudie. Soon after it disappeared from my phone too.

It was a short flight as I didn't find lift. On the ground I had to restart the Oudie to get Skysight weather to come back.

I wrote to Naviter;

I flew today and saw the Skysight information disappear about 1 hour from take off on both my Oudie N and on Navigator on my phone. Has any progress been made on the issue? When do you expect this to be resolved?

Thanks,

The reply;

Hi Doug,

We are treating this as a feature request. The SkySight weather maps are not loaded in advance at the moment, they expect to be downloaded on the fly while flying.

We will let you know when it is done, but it won't be in April.

Regards,

Andrej Kolar
Enabling pilot excellence

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<cfec0b57-2e05-42d4-aae1-03cc83532330n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26232&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26232

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramyyan...@gmail.com (Ramy)
 by: Ramy - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:06 UTC

Although the subject is skysight, I noted Naviter response to your Polarized question.
I respectfully disagree with Naviter response. I’ve been flying for over 20 years with polarized sunglasses and had no issues with any other screen (unless I tilt my head significantly). You will only see black screen if your sunglasses polarization is wrong or the screen polarization is wrong. If both polarized correctly, they will not cancel each other. You may want to try another polarized glasses, and if the issue persists, then your Oudie has wrong polarization. You may need to rotate your display as you suggested.
I always fly with polarized glasses as it enhances wisps and faint clouds.

Ramy

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 9:37:03 AM UTC-7, Doug Levy wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:11:05 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > My XCSoar device is a Dell Streak 5 running Android 3. I doubt Skysight
> > will run on that, but it's worth a look.
> >
> > Dan
> > 5J
> > On 3/29/22 20:38, Matthew Scutter wrote:
> > > To clarify - there is no App in the App Store on iOS or Android. On both devices you can instead "install" the website via your browser Settings -> Add to Homescreen. This enables the offline functionality.
> I flew on 4/7. I connected my Oudie N to by iPhone using the phone as a hotspot. I had Navigator running on my phone also. Less than an hour into the flight the Skysight weather disappeared from the Oudie. Soon after it disappeared from my phone too.
>
> It was a short flight as I didn't find lift. On the ground I had to restart the Oudie to get Skysight weather to come back.
>
> I wrote to Naviter;
>
> I flew today and saw the Skysight information disappear about 1 hour from take off on both my Oudie N and on Navigator on my phone. Has any progress been made on the issue? When do you expect this to be resolved?
>
> Thanks,
>
> The reply;
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> We are treating this as a feature request. The SkySight weather maps are not loaded in advance at the moment, they expect to be downloaded on the fly while flying.
>
> We will let you know when it is done, but it won't be in April.
>
> Regards,
>

> Andrej Kolar
> Enabling pilot excellence

Re: Skysight weather on Oudie N

<f86237e2-419f-4f45-a094-aa512a65c2e1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26296&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26296

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 07:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: usoar...@gmail.com (Eric Bick (DY))
 by: Eric Bick (DY) - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

For displays such as on Oudie N, it is a property of the screen type that the display is polarized (at an angle chosen by the instrument manufacturer).. For displays that are only put into the panel one way, the manufacturer can orient it such that polarized sunglasses will not diminish the brightness (due to polarization) unless the pilot tilts his/her head significantly (as Ramy notes). (Note: sunglasses are polarized vertically, which cuts out horizontally polarized reflections, such as off the water.) For instruments that are made to operate in vertical or horizontal (portrait or landscape) orientation, the manufacturer is faced with a choice - if the polarization is set at either vertical or horizontal, the display will appear fine in one orientation and black in the other, (and varying degrees of darkness in between) through polarized sunglasses (unpolarized sunglasses have no effect). So, a compromise is to (optimally) set the polarization of the screen at 45 degrees. At 45 degrees, this will diminish the brightness by 50% for either instrument orientation (Transmitted intensity = incident intensity*cos^2(angle of polarization), but it will be readable with sunglasses, polarized or not. This is in addition to the reduction in brightness by the sunglasses due to lens tint.

In general, as Ramy says, polarized sunglasses will enhance sharpness. On the other hand, the military does not issue polarized sunglasses for pilots (according to my source) because it can eliminate the glare/sun flash off another airplane fuselages or wings - the same goes for glider pilots trying to spot other gliders in the area. It becomes a matter of choice for glider pilots as to which is more important. My experience is that I stopped using polarized sunglasses due to instrument display obscuration due to polarization since so many of mine can be oriented in the portrait or landscape position. My CN flight computer, which can orient either portrait or landscape, appears to be at about a 70 degree offset for output and I had to tilt my head slightly to read it when in portrait mode. I have experienced the same on other instruments that can go portrait or landscape for orientation, but not on instruments that have only one display orientation. Also, I do find it easier to find other gliders at a distance from their glint with non polarized sunglasses.

I will suggest that with greater use of FLARM, finding other gliders has become easier, and with ADS-B IN/OUT even easier. But visual identification is still paramount.

Eric