"Cogito ergo I'm right and you're wrong." -- Blair Houghton

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Region 5 North Contest Report

SubjectAuthor
* Region 5 North Contest ReportRich Owen
+- Re: Region 5 North Contest ReportTony Smolder
`* Re: Region 5 North Contest Reportraylov...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Region 5 North Contest ReportRich Owen

1
Region 5 North Contest Report

<a842297c-a319-4565-b227-e1a536fd9c9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26396&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26396

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:36:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Region 5 North Contest Report
From: stillf...@aol.com (Rich Owen)
 by: Rich Owen - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:36 UTC

Weather Forecasting is an Artform
Well, the practice days are in the books for the Region 5 North contest and we still have competitors on the road heading to the contest. For those that looked at the weather forecasts and decided to hold off coming until the good weather arrived, you missed a couple of good days. Yesterday was a great day to wring out your ship, see the local task area and make sure all your electronics were working correctly. Today was a day to have fun, and most had really nice flights.

But before we get to the flying, lets talk about the venue. On arrival we saw a dramatic change to the main runway. It is another 1,000ft longer and the grounds look like Augusta during the Masters golf tournament. Rhonda and Al Tyler installed over a hundred dogwood trees, 25 redbug trees, and 25 camellia trees. But the addition to the runway really got everyone’s attention. It looks like the Georgia State line is part of the airport! Even Gulfstream Aircraft Company is looking to Perry International for testing of their aircraft on sod runways. So, if you have never been to Perry for the Region 5 North contest yet, put it on your bucket list. You will soon be familiar with terms like the Cove (a used to be low rent area for the Sports and Open Class gliders that has become party central), the cookhouse (a rustic building that houses shower facilities, food preparation areas, and their famous Christmas lights, The Tent (where our pilot’s meetings and dinners are served) and of course Perry West (a hangar that epitomizes the meaning of southern hospitality). This is why 97 pilots signed up for the contest’s 65 slots.

So, lets talk about todays flying. About half of the pilots decided to take a flight today. Scott Fletcher, our stellar weatherman, did not have good things to say about the weather. A high overcast layer was supposed to invade the task area early in the day. Some models forecasted cloud bases no higher than 2,000ft. But of course, there is an old saying “weathermen are 60% wrong and 40% really wrong”. Today was one of those days. The launch began under mainly blue skies but early reports told a story of better than forecasted conditions. Soon all the classes were on their way. They were flying the exact same tasks so there were plenty of markers on course. A smart move by our CD Marshall McClung, given the dismal weather forecast. The task sent our ships from Start 2 to Fogles (to miss the airspace at the Air Force base), Orangeburg, Barnwell and Finish. It was an hour and a half task that would get everyone home for dinner safely. Conditions at the start were a little weak and some pilots could not make it to the 4,500ft cloud base. A cloud field was forming enroute to the first turnpoint and the brave headed off at a fast clip. As the task continued, the weather got progressively better. Almost 5,000ft and 4kt average thermals were experienced by most pilots.

While half of the field were flying, the other half were taking the day off to enjoy some of the local attractions. A group visited local craft breweries in the area. Two were singled out as places to definitely experience. The Hunter Gatherer Micro Brewery is actually housed in an old Curtis Wright hangar. The inside kept the open look of the hangar which included the original glass hangar doors. Another noteworthy stop was the Angry Fish Brewery. Our expert pilot home brewer and owner of P7 Brewery said that this was the smallest microbrewery he had ever seen. But the beer was excellent and this group had a lot of fun. Others rode their electric bikes, yes I had to laugh also, around the expanded runway complex. A book club that was started by the crew ladies, met to discuss two books.

Meanwhile, on the course, pilots were having fun flying in conditions that were not expected. The first leg was a little bit of a challenge when the best clouds seem to appear where the closed airspace of the local AF base was located. Groups were able to get together and provide the locations of the really good thermals. Speeds were expected to be high. Final glides were all typically low stress evolutions with only one landout reported. As the aircraft returned to the field, the typical practice day mistakes were again made. A couple of aircraft landed and came to a complete stop without clearing the runway. In a contest this size, it is a dangerous situation. The runway is long, wide and in very good condition. There should be no problem for a conscientious pilot to help their fellow pilots.

In the end the FAI Handicapped Class saw Chris Ruff winning the practice day with a raw speed of 58.26mph. Werner Ruegger and Stuart Venters finished in second and third respectively. Sports Class was taken by Jim Hogue with a raw speed to 62.28mph with Mitch Deutch and Lee Larder finishing second and third. In Open Class, Susan and Al Simmons are continuing their fantastic flying taking the practice day with a raw speed of 64mph. Finishing in second and third was Sam Zimmerman and Heinz Weissenbuehler. In the large 18 Meter Class, Ken Sorenson again is hot on the racing circuit by taking first place with a raw speed of 73.28mph. Not to be outdone, Sean Murphy and Bif Huss finished second and third with speeds over 70mph! So Chris, Jim, Team Simmons and Ken, try to avoid the “winning the practice day curse”.

This year we had a special treat courtesy of Alexander Schleicher. Rex Mayes, the US agent for AS gliders was on hand to complete work on several gliders. Engine inspections, fuel pump troubleshooting, mylar repairs and fuel line repairs were all accomplished in the Perry West hangar. He was also available to discuss the new products Schleicher is bringing to the US glider market. Thanks Sam and Eric for your hospitality and use of Perry West during these maintenance evolutions!

With all the gliders safely on deck, Rhonda and her crew prepared the food for the welcome dinner. Of course, we need to have great beer to accompany our food. A keg of Stella Artois beer was provided courtesy of Team 98 Racing and Pete Alexander. Thanks Pete!!!

As the rain is falling now, it appears tomorrow will not be a contest day. No problem because we are planning a contest rules input discussion and Uncle Hank may be giving a racing clinic under the tent. There is never a dull moment at the Region 5 North contest. Tomorrow, we will introduce you to the volunteers that make up our contest crew. None of us would be able to enjoy this sport without them. So until then, have a good night and for those on their way to Perry International Airport, drive safe.

Stay high, fly smart and come home!

Rich Owen
ZO

Re: Region 5 North Contest Report

<23f02851-f8a1-4af2-98e6-494ca40da14fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26397&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26397

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:37:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Region 5 North Contest Report
From: ts1.scor...@gmail.com (Tony Smolder)
 by: Tony Smolder - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:37 UTC

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 10:36:05 PM UTC-5, stil...@aol.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> With all the gliders safely on deck, Rhonda and her crew prepared the food for the welcome dinner. Of course, we need to have great beer to accompany our food. A keg of Stella Artois beer was provided courtesy of Team 98 Racing and Pete Alexander. Thanks Pete!!!
>
> As the rain is falling now, it appears tomorrow will not be a contest day.. No problem because we are planning a contest rules input discussion and Uncle Hank may be giving a racing clinic under the tent. There is never a dull moment at the Region 5 North contest. Tomorrow, we will introduce you to the volunteers that make up our contest crew. None of us would be able to enjoy this sport without them. So until then, have a good night and for those on their way to Perry International Airport, drive safe.

Great reporting Rich!

Keep them coming.

Tony

Re: Region 5 North Contest Report

<e8f70354-b7ae-43e8-85cd-94953a0b165fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26401&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26401

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: raylovin...@gmail.com (raylov...@gmail.com)
 by: raylov...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:33 UTC

Excellent report, Rich. Looking forward to similarly great daily write-ups!

Ray
W8

Re: Region 5 North Contest Report

<60f52035-07d0-4eb1-98b4-0f123e50af6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26402&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26402

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:47:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: stillf...@aol.com (Rich Owen)
 by: Rich Owen - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:47 UTC

We have to make a slight change to the results of the practice days. In Open Class, Sam Zimmerman really won with a speed of 70.45mph with Heinz and Team Simmons finishing in second and third. In Sports Class , Billy Kerns won the day with a speed to 60.88mph with Tom Holloran and Chris Ruff in second and third. Seems like the scoresheet showed the leader in two different formats. Sorry for not getting this right. I think Chris Ruff and Team Simmons dodged the practice day curse. Today is not a contest day but I'll still send a report out this evenng.