Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

SubjectAuthor
* Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?collins...@gmail.com
`* Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?Eric Greenwell
 `* Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?Chris Behm
  `* Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?Dan Marotta
   `* Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?Hartley Falbaum
    `- Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?collins...@gmail.com

1
Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<7f7443fc-6ec0-4034-ae30-ab6a69d74875n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26416&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26416

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?
From: collinsh...@gmail.com (collins...@gmail.com)
 by: collins...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 02:45 UTC

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?

I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.

They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.

Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<t3pbpq$5t4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26424&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26424

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:19:05 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:19 UTC

On 4/19/2022 7:45 PM, collins...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?
>
> I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.
>
> They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.
Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
have them.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<c935e711-6a30-4f74-b23d-0f41bfe9e4f8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26429&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26429

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: cbb...@sbcglobal.net (Chris Behm)
 by: Chris Behm - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 19:29 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 9:19:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On 4/19/2022 7:45 PM, collins...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?
> >
> > I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.
> >
> > They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.
> Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
> widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
> have them.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - USA
> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?
I would also assume that ambient temperature would matter in this case.

Kind Regards,
Target

Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<t3q095$uqf$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26438&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26438

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:08:37 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:08 UTC

For me, when I owned trailers, I would touch the bearing cap shortly
after beginning a trip and again at every stop. If it was too hot to
hold my fingers on the bearing cap, I would investigate. Note: A
dragging brake will yield the same symptom.

Dan
5J

On 4/20/22 13:29, Chris Behm wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 9:19:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>> On 4/19/2022 7:45 PM, collins...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?
>>>
>>> I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.
>>>
>>> They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.
>> Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
>> widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
>> have them.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Greenwell - USA
>> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
>> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
>

> Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?
> I would also assume that ambient temperature would matter in this case.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Target

Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<b5579d76-e70e-461e-a1d4-41bb8f7015d2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26445&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26445

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: hfalb...@comcast.net (Hartley Falbaum)
 by: Hartley Falbaum - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:12 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:08:40 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> For me, when I owned trailers, I would touch the bearing cap shortly
> after beginning a trip and again at every stop. If it was too hot to
> hold my fingers on the bearing cap, I would investigate. Note: A
> dragging brake will yield the same symptom.
>
> Dan
> 5J
> On 4/20/22 13:29, Chris Behm wrote:

> >> Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
> >> widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
> >> have them.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Eric Greenwell - USA
> >> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> >> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
> >

> > Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?
> > I would also assume that ambient temperature would matter in this case.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Target

The hub will feel warmer after city driving with stops and starts as well. I use a infrared thermometer.
The bearing may well have some ID laser engraved on it--should help find cross reference. Look for it on the edge of the race.
On Cobra sealed bearing axle, it requires a machine shop press to remove the bearing and replace it.

Re: Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

<51f8b779-4157-41f1-9087-0daf4134500fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26697&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26697

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: collinsh...@gmail.com (collins...@gmail.com)
 by: collins...@gmail.com - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:56 UTC

On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 6:12:14 AM UTC-7, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:08:40 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > For me, when I owned trailers, I would touch the bearing cap shortly
> > after beginning a trip and again at every stop. If it was too hot to
> > hold my fingers on the bearing cap, I would investigate. Note: A
> > dragging brake will yield the same symptom.
> >
> > Dan
> > 5J

> > > Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?
> > > I would also assume that ambient temperature would matter in this case.
> > >
> > > Kind Regards,
> > > Target
> The hub will feel warmer after city driving with stops and starts as well.. I use a infrared thermometer.
> The bearing may well have some ID laser engraved on it--should help find cross reference. Look for it on the edge of the race.
> On Cobra sealed bearing axle, it requires a machine shop press to remove the bearing and replace it.

Posting just in case anyone finds themselves in the predicament I was.

1972 axle, and European obviously, good luck finding replacement hubs or bearings, and to put a new sealed bearing in requires a press to pop the old one out and get the new one in. However, I was able to pack them and the hub with some grease and it seemed to just work find. If you need to limp it somewhere, I think its safe yo say you can "doctor" it for the time being. I just did 1,300 miles with it and it was fine, one day though I will need to get a new axle etc. My situation is obviously different than any other one since it all depends.

All the best