From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Updating FlarmView
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:31:39 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:31 UTC

Hi All,

I am trying to update my PowerFlarm Portable, ClearNav II computer, and
FlarmView. The PF and CN are pretty straight forward but the
FlarmView... Not so much.

Referring to the FlarmView manual, it instructs to download the FlarmNet
file, data.fln and to convert that file to flarm.flx using the flarmnet
parser. There's nothing in the manual to tell me what that is.

In the past I located that inforation. It's a Windows program called
fln2flx.exe and after a long search a couple of years ago, I located
that file. Now, trying to run that program on my wife's Windows 8.1
computer, it fails with an error: Data at the root level is invalid.
Line1, position 1. It creates the flarm.flx file with size = 0.
Any help would be appreciated.
--
Dan
5J

Re: Updating FlarmView

<4a67a035-8a77-467a-beac-13a95637b328n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26554&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26554

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Updating FlarmView
From: bcfa...@hotmail.com (Bob Faris)
 by: Bob Faris - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:53 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 10:31:43 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to update my PowerFlarm Portable, ClearNav II computer, and
> FlarmView. The PF and CN are pretty straight forward but the
> FlarmView... Not so much.
>
> Referring to the FlarmView manual, it instructs to download the FlarmNet
> file, data.fln and to convert that file to flarm.flx using the flarmnet
> parser. There's nothing in the manual to tell me what that is.
>
> In the past I located that inforation. It's a Windows program called
> fln2flx.exe and after a long search a couple of years ago, I located
> that file. Now, trying to run that program on my wife's Windows 8.1
> computer, it fails with an error: Data at the root level is invalid.
> Line1, position 1. It creates the flarm.flx file with size = 0.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> --
> Dan
> 5J
You don't need to use an external program to convert the fln file to the flx file. Download the flarmnet fln file to the micro sd card and use the Files menu in the Flarmview to convert to the flx file.
Bob Faris

Re: Updating FlarmView

<t499f2$o6k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26558&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26558

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:17:20 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:17 UTC

Thanks. I'll have to go to the airport to see if that works. I'll also
completely read the manual again as I don't recall seeing what you said.

I may have to wait for the next soaring day and hope the smoke has
dissipated a bit.

Dan
5J

On 4/26/22 10:53, Bob Faris wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 10:31:43 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to update my PowerFlarm Portable, ClearNav II computer, and
>> FlarmView. The PF and CN are pretty straight forward but the
>> FlarmView... Not so much.
>>
>> Referring to the FlarmView manual, it instructs to download the FlarmNet
>> file, data.fln and to convert that file to flarm.flx using the flarmnet
>> parser. There's nothing in the manual to tell me what that is.
>>
>> In the past I located that inforation. It's a Windows program called
>> fln2flx.exe and after a long search a couple of years ago, I located
>> that file. Now, trying to run that program on my wife's Windows 8.1
>> computer, it fails with an error: Data at the root level is invalid.
>> Line1, position 1. It creates the flarm.flx file with size = 0.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>> --
>> Dan
>> 5J
> You don't need to use an external program to convert the fln file to the flx file. Download the flarmnet fln file to the micro sd card and use the Files menu in the Flarmview to convert to the flx file.
> Bob Faris

Re: Updating FlarmView

<t49bd5$8q2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26559&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26559

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:50:14 -0600
 by: kinsell - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:50 UTC

The conversion is under the Files section. Those interfaces with a few
buttons used for 20 different functions are frustrating.

On 4/26/22 11:17, Dan Marotta wrote:
> Thanks.  I'll have to go to the airport to see if that works.  I'll also
> completely read the manual again as I don't recall seeing what you said.
>
> I may have to wait for the next soaring day and hope the smoke has
> dissipated a bit.
>
> Dan
> 5J
>
> On 4/26/22 10:53, Bob Faris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 10:31:43 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am trying to update my PowerFlarm Portable, ClearNav II computer, and
>>> FlarmView. The PF and CN are pretty straight forward but the
>>> FlarmView... Not so much.
>>>
>>> Referring to the FlarmView manual, it instructs to download the FlarmNet
>>> file, data.fln and to convert that file to flarm.flx using the flarmnet
>>> parser. There's nothing in the manual to tell me what that is.
>>>
>>> In the past I located that inforation. It's a Windows program called
>>> fln2flx.exe and after a long search a couple of years ago, I located
>>> that file. Now, trying to run that program on my wife's Windows 8.1
>>> computer, it fails with an error: Data at the root level is invalid.
>>> Line1, position 1. It creates the flarm.flx file with size = 0.
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>> --
>>> Dan
>>> 5J
>> You don't need to use an external program to convert the fln file to
>> the flx file.  Download the flarmnet fln file to the micro sd card and
>> use the Files menu in the Flarmview to convert to the flx file.
>> Bob Faris

Re: Updating FlarmView

<t49btl$cdf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26560&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26560

From: dcmaro...@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:59:16 -0600
 by: Dan Marotta - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:59 UTC

Yup, I'm relearning that right now.

Dan
5J