Within a computer, natural language is unnatural.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

SubjectAuthor
* Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidNewsKrawler
+- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
|+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
||+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
|||+- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
|||`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidWilf
||| `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
||+- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
||`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
|| `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
||  +- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
||  `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidnospam
|+- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidLewis
|`- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
 `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
  +* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidTheo
  |+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
  ||+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
  |||`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
  ||| +* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidTheo
  ||| `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
  |||  `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
  ||`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidnospam
  || `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidLewis
  |`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
  | `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
  |  +* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
  |  |+- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
  |  |`* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidLewis
  |  | `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidnospam
  |  `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
  `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
   `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
    `* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidFrank Slootweg
     +* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidsms
     |+* Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Androidnospam
     ||`- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
     |`- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz
     `- Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to AndroidJoerg Lorenz

Pages:12
Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss00nn$j52p$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26625&group=comp.mobile.android#26625

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 02:43:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 02:43 UTC

<https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

Message isn't just about texting, it's a crafty play to win over the next
generation of customers.

The rest of the world seems far less obsessed with the smartphone you own or
your messaging platform of choice. Many readers might wonder just what the
iMessage fuss is all about and why they keep hearing about a platform they
never use.

If you're just catching up on the saga, Apple's default messaging app
displays blue bubbles when sending texts, photos, and videos to other
iMessage users. These messages use Wi-Fi or mobile data but are otherwise
free to send and receive.

The app displays green bubbles when communicating with non-iMessage users,
such as Android phones, falling back to SMS/MMS for text, pictures, etc.
While SMS is regularly unlimited on US and European phone plans, it's not a
given around the entire world. So some iPhone customers may have to pay to
message their Android friends. Depending on carrier limits, media might also
be compressed when sent as MMS.

iMessage to iMessage communication has other advantages too. Messages are
encrypted and the app also displays read and typing notifications. In other
words, blue bubble iMessage users benefit from features you might recognize
from WhatsApp and other services, while green bubbles do not. While
innocuous sounding on its own, this lack of feature parity has led some
iPhone users to stigmatize their green bubble contacts.

To put the discussion in some perspective, iMessage is far from the most
widely used message app on a global scale. That title belongs to Whatsapp.
Even in the US, home of the iPhone, Facebook Messenger is the most popular
messaging app.

The key to understanding the green bubble phenomenon is found in a survey by
Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. The research highlights huge growth
in recent US iPhone sales in the 18-24 age bracket.

Apple's senior VP of software and services, Eddy Cue, wanted to bring
iMessage to Android in 2013 but was vetoed by other executives. Apple didn't
want to give away one of its unique selling points.

Google is instead advocating for Apple to support RCS messaging instead of
basic SMS features when communicating with Android users. RCS would help
produce parity between blue and green bubbles, as it supports typing
indicators, read receipts, and many other features currently lacking from
the green bubble hoi polloi - although RCS isn't a complete global solution,
as it depends on carrier and handset support. Alternatively, persuading
Apple to bring iMessage to Android would work. But this seems unlikely given
the company's historic comments and what it stands to gain from iMessage
exclusivity.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss0j52$4lt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26627&group=comp.mobile.android#26627

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 08:57:21 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:57 UTC

Am 16.01.22 um 03:43 schrieb NewsKrawler:
> <https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
> Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

RCS is not the solution. RCS is virtually dead. Another epic fail by Google.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss1t2h$q6j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26647&group=comp.mobile.android#26647

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:52:47 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:52 UTC

On 1/15/2022 6:43 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> <https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
> Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
>
> Message isn't just about texting, it's a crafty play to win over the next
> generation of customers.
>
> The rest of the world seems far less obsessed with the smartphone you own or
> your messaging platform of choice. Many readers might wonder just what the
> iMessage fuss is all about and why they keep hearing about a platform they
> never use.

In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't such a big deal because most Android
dominates so most smartphone users, including iPhone users, are using
WhatsApp or WeChat. It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has
more users. Also remember that SMS doesn't work on the iPad or Mac, at
least not directly.

WhatsApp and WeChat have the drawback of only being active on one device
at a time and being a pain to use on a computer (unless this has changed
recently).

However it may be a little short-sighted for Apple to refuse to
implement RCS. It may be a smart move in the U.S., but in Europe and
Asia it only serves to strengthen WhatsApp (Meta) and WeChat (Tencent),
and even Signal.

When I last was in Europe and Asia, in 2019, no locals were using
iMessage or SMS, everyone was using WhatsApp and WeChat because iPhones
were not the predominant mobile devices so iMessage was not very useful.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss22ao.7nc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26653&group=comp.mobile.android#26653

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 Jan 2022 20:22:43 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:22 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 6:43 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> > <https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
> > Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
> >
> > Message isn't just about texting, it's a crafty play to win over the next
> > generation of customers.
> >
> > The rest of the world seems far less obsessed with the smartphone you own or
> > your messaging platform of choice. Many readers might wonder just what the
> > iMessage fuss is all about and why they keep hearing about a platform they
> > never use.
>
> In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't such a big deal because most Android
> dominates so most smartphone users, including iPhone users, are using
> WhatsApp or WeChat. It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has
> more users. Also remember that SMS doesn't work on the iPad or Mac, at
> least not directly.

Any - reliable - stats for iPhone (*not* 'iOS') versus Android-phone
users?

> WhatsApp and WeChat have the drawback of only being active on one device
> at a time and being a pain to use on a computer (unless this has changed
> recently).

WhatsApp has companion programs for Windows and Mac:

'Mac or Windows PC'
<https://www.whatsapp.com/download>
(pointed to from the homepage)

We, SWMBO and I, use the Windows client since several years and it
works fine. No idea what you mean by "being a pain to use on a
computer".

> However it may be a little short-sighted for Apple to refuse to
> implement RCS. It may be a smart move in the U.S., but in Europe and
> Asia it only serves to strengthen WhatsApp (Meta) and WeChat (Tencent),
> and even Signal.

Exactly. I think this is yet another US-centric issue. In the rest of
the world, it's a non-issue. Everybody uses an OS/device-independent IM
platform. Here (NL/EU/Europe) it's mainly WhatsApp. iPhone users who
have many iPhone contacts might use iMessage, but most live in the real
world and use the common IM platform.

> When I last was in Europe and Asia, in 2019, no locals were using
> iMessage or SMS, everyone was using WhatsApp and WeChat because iPhones
> were not the predominant mobile devices so iMessage was not very useful.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<slrnsu92bb.1dek.g.kreme@zephyrus.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26659&group=comp.mobile.android#26659

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:08:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:08 UTC

In message <ss1t2h$q6j$1@dont-email.me> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 6:43 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
>> <https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
>> Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
>>
>> Message isn't just about texting, it's a crafty play to win over the next
>> generation of customers.
>>
>> The rest of the world seems far less obsessed with the smartphone you own or
>> your messaging platform of choice. Many readers might wonder just what the
>> iMessage fuss is all about and why they keep hearing about a platform they
>> never use.

> In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't such a big deal because most Android
> dominates

That has nothing to do with it, at all. SMS is not used much anywhere
because SMS is garbage. There are many alternatives, and which ones you
use are dependent on where you live, who you talk to, and how willing
you are to use multiple apps.

Other apps are used in the rest of the world, those apps are not
"Android" specific, but they are all better than SMS.

> so most smartphone users, including iPhone users

So nothing at all to do with Android. Your trolling is pathetic.

> WhatsApp and WeChat have the drawback of only being active on one device
> at a time and being a pain to use on a computer (unless this has changed
> recently).

There are far more than simply WhatsApp and WeChat, and which are used
is very dependent on where you are.

> However it may be a little short-sighted for Apple to refuse to
> implement RCS.

RCS is shit, and Google has rolled out about 700 messaging systems, so
no one with a brain trusts RCS to last past next week before Google
loses interest.

--
Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss22ft$35d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26662&group=comp.mobile.android#26662

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:25:16 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:25 UTC

On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> We, SWMBO and I, use the Windows client since several years and it
> works fine. No idea what you mean by "being a pain to use on a
> computer".

You have to use your phone to scan a QR code on the computer to connect.

I do see that WhatsApp now has "Multi-Device Beta" that appears to
address this issue, as well as using multiple devices on the same
WhatsApp account.

WeChat has had the same issue, where you can only have one mobile device
at a time active.

I expect that this is all done for security issues.

I really only use WhatsApp a lot when in Europe, which has not been
since 2019 unfortunately. In China and the U.S. I use WeChat (only
occasionally in the U.S.). Mostly I use SMS because I know that everyone
can send and receive SMS. With Google Voice SMS is especially nice.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss231t$6vo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26664&group=comp.mobile.android#26664

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:34:52 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:34 UTC

Am 16.01.22 um 20:52 schrieb sms:
> In Europe and Asia, iMessage isn't such a big deal because most Android
> dominates so most smartphone users, including iPhone users, are using
> WhatsApp or WeChat.

Once more you claim things that are simply wrong.

It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has
> more users. Also remember that SMS doesn't work on the iPad or Mac, at
> least not directly.

The market share in France is not far away from the US and in
Switzerland it is even higher than in the US.

> When I last was in Europe and Asia, in 2019, no locals were using
> iMessage or SMS, everyone was using WhatsApp and WeChat because iPhones
> were not the predominant mobile devices so iMessage was not very useful.

Total bullshit as always. Unbelievable!

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss235v$6vo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26665&group=comp.mobile.android#26665

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:37:03 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:37 UTC

Am 16.01.22 um 21:22 schrieb Frank Slootweg:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>> WhatsApp and WeChat have the drawback of only being active on one device
>> at a time and being a pain to use on a computer (unless this has changed
>> recently).
>
> WhatsApp has companion programs for Windows and Mac:

In the meantime ist is also available for Signal and Telegram. Even on
Linux.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss27d4.i30.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26666&group=comp.mobile.android#26666

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 Jan 2022 21:49:20 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 21:49 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > We, SWMBO and I, use the Windows client since several years and it
> > works fine. No idea what you mean by "being a pain to use on a
> > computer".
>
> You have to use your phone to scan a QR code on the computer to connect.

Nope, you only have to do that once, i.e. it's a setup issue, not a
connection issue. If the phone or computer disconnects, they will
reconnect once they're both up and on the same 'LAN' again.

Sometimes when the phone is 'sleeping' too soundly, you have to wake
it up for it to reconnect. Because the phone will still give a sound for
an incoming message, it's not an issue.

[...]

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss24nq$2vu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26667&group=comp.mobile.android#26667

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:03:37 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:03 UTC

On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> Any - reliable - stats for iPhone (*not* 'iOS') versus Android-phone
> users?

See <https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share>.

84% Android phone, 16% iPhone for 2021 (rounded to the nearest whole
percent). Predicted Android increase to 85% by 2025. But those are the
percentages for phone _shipments_ which are not the same as the
installed base. Remember, the Android replacement cycle is shorter than
the iPhone replacement cycle so the installed base of iPhones is greater
than the shipments.

Most of the statistics are for iOS versus Android, not iPhones versus
Android phones, which favors iOS since there are so many more iPads than
Android tablets, see:
<https://www.statista.com/statistics/272698/global-market-share-held-by-mobile-operating-systems-since-2009>.
73% Android, 26% iOS, 1% other (rounded to nearest whole percent).

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss25ns$ckn$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26670&group=comp.mobile.android#26670

From: wil...@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:20:45 +0000
 by: Wilf - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:20 UTC

On 16/01/2022 at 21:25, sms wrote:
> On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> We, SWMBO and I, use the Windows client since several years and it
>> works fine. No idea what you mean by "being a pain to use on a
>> computer".
>
> You have to use your phone to scan a QR code on the computer to connect.
>

> I do see that WhatsApp now has "Multi-Device Beta" that appears to
> address this issue, as well as using multiple devices on the same
> WhatsApp account.

Yes, I've been using the beta for Windows. Once initially set up, there
is no longer a requirement to have the phone device on or nearby. And
after many months, it still works with no need to re-connect anything.
--
Wilf

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss27q1$uul$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26671&group=comp.mobile.android#26671

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:56:01 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:56 UTC

On 1/16/2022 2:20 PM, Wilf wrote:
> On 16/01/2022 at 21:25, sms wrote:
>> On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>>     We, SWMBO and I, use the Windows client since several years and it
>>> works fine. No idea what you mean by "being a pain to use on a
>>> computer".
>>
>> You have to use your phone to scan a QR code on the computer to connect.
>>

>> I do see that WhatsApp now has "Multi-Device Beta" that appears to
>> address this issue, as well as using multiple devices on the same
>> WhatsApp account.
>
> Yes, I've been using the beta for Windows.  Once initially set up, there
> is no longer a requirement to have the phone device on or nearby.   And
> after many months, it still works with no need to re-connect anything.

I signed up for beta as well. Hopefully it comes out of beta soon and
becomes the default.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss49lp.ibo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26682&group=comp.mobile.android#26682

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 17 Jan 2022 16:40:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:40 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Any - reliable - stats for iPhone (*not* 'iOS') versus Android-phone
> > users?
>
> See <https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share>.

Sorry, I meant for the US, not worldwide. I was responding to the
"It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has more users." part of
your paragraph, but didn't make that clear.

[...]

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss47c7$gei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26683&group=comp.mobile.android#26683

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:00:54 -0800
 by: sms - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:00 UTC

On 1/17/2022 8:40 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/16/2022 12:22 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Any - reliable - stats for iPhone (*not* 'iOS') versus Android-phone
>>> users?
>>
>> See <https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share>.
>
> Sorry, I meant for the US, not worldwide. I was responding to the
> "It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has more users." part of
> your paragraph, but didn't make that clear.

For shipments of new phones, 47% iPhone, 53% Android phones for Q3 2021
in the U.S.
<https://www.counterpointresearch.com/us-market-smartphone-share/>.

For the operating system for the U.S., 52% iOS, 48% Android
<https://www.statista.com/statistics/266572/market-share-held-by-smartphone-platforms-in-the-united-states/>.
Another source says 59% iOS, 41% Android
<https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/united-states-of-america>.

For actual number of users, just of phones, not including tablets, I
have not seen any statistics.

I used to think that iPad had an overwhelming lead in tablets but
<https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/tablet/united-states-of-america>
shows only 58.65% of tablets to be iPads, not that far off from iPhone
market share in the U.S.. The big difference is that iPad market share
in other areas, where Android phones dominate, is also significantly
larger than Android tablet market share.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<170120221326330895%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26686&group=comp.mobile.android#26686

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:26:33 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:26 UTC

In article <ss49lp.ibo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > > Any - reliable - stats for iPhone (*not* 'iOS') versus Android-phone
> > > users?
> >
> > See <https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share>.
>
> Sorry, I meant for the US, not worldwide. I was responding to the
> "It's a very big deal in the U.S. where the iOS has more users." part of
> your paragraph, but didn't make that clear.

it's important to break it down by age group.

teenagers, who are among those who text the most, are almost entirely
iphone users.

<https://www.axios.com/teen-iphone-use-spending-habits-bc2e598e-303d-402
4-8db8-c345b1415ad4.html>
A whopping 87% of U.S. teenagers have iPhones, per a new survey of
10,000 young people from investment bank Piper Sandler.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss798c.qp8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26704&group=comp.mobile.android#26704

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 18 Jan 2022 19:51:39 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:51 UTC

NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> quoted:
> <https://www.androidauthority.com/imessage-big-deal-guide-3087606/ >
> Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android
>
> Message isn't just about texting, it's a crafty play to win over the next
> generation of customers.
>
> The rest of the world seems far less obsessed with the smartphone you own or
> your messaging platform of choice. Many readers might wonder just what the
> iMessage fuss is all about and why they keep hearing about a platform they
> never use.
>
> If you're just catching up on the saga, Apple's default messaging app
> displays blue bubbles when sending texts, photos, and videos to other
> iMessage users. These messages use Wi-Fi or mobile data but are otherwise
> free to send and receive.
>
> The app displays green bubbles when communicating with non-iMessage users,
> such as Android phones, falling back to SMS/MMS for text, pictures, etc.
> While SMS is regularly unlimited on US and European phone plans, it's not a
> given around the entire world. So some iPhone customers may have to pay to
> message their Android friends. Depending on carrier limits, media might also
> be compressed when sent as MMS.
>
> iMessage to iMessage communication has other advantages too. Messages are
> encrypted and the app also displays read and typing notifications. In other
> words, blue bubble iMessage users benefit from features you might recognize
> from WhatsApp and other services, while green bubbles do not. While
> innocuous sounding on its own, this lack of feature parity has led some
> iPhone users to stigmatize their green bubble contacts.
>
> To put the discussion in some perspective, iMessage is far from the most
> widely used message app on a global scale. That title belongs to Whatsapp.
> Even in the US, home of the iPhone, Facebook Messenger is the most popular
> messaging app.
>
> The key to understanding the green bubble phenomenon is found in a survey by
> Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. The research highlights huge growth
> in recent US iPhone sales in the 18-24 age bracket.
>
> Apple's senior VP of software and services, Eddy Cue, wanted to bring
> iMessage to Android in 2013 but was vetoed by other executives. Apple didn't
> want to give away one of its unique selling points.

Speaking of (not) locking out other platforms:

Apparently the EU is in the process of proposing laws/regulations to
limit the monopolies of the big tech companies.

Part of these laws/regulations are to require interchange of messages
between different Instant Messaging (IM) platforms. While iMessage
wasn't mentioned in the news item I watched, there's no reason to assume
it will be excluded from this requirement.

So it will be interesting to see how this will evolve.

N.B. The plans are not limited to IM exchange. They also include the
requirement to publicize algorithms used for targeted messages/ads/etc.
and how these algorithms impact a particular user.

No, I don't have a reference. I just saw the news item ('Nieuwsuur' of
the Dutch NOS on the NPO 2 channel).

> Google is instead advocating for Apple to support RCS messaging instead of
> basic SMS features when communicating with Android users. RCS would help
> produce parity between blue and green bubbles, as it supports typing
> indicators, read receipts, and many other features currently lacking from
> the green bubble hoi polloi - although RCS isn't a complete global solution,
> as it depends on carrier and handset support. Alternatively, persuading
> Apple to bring iMessage to Android would work. But this seems unlikely given
> the company's historic comments and what it stands to gain from iMessage
> exclusivity.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss7gug$d9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26708&group=comp.mobile.android#26708

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 15:02:41 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:02 UTC

On 1/18/2022 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> Part of these laws/regulations are to require interchange of messages
> between different Instant Messaging (IM) platforms. While iMessage
> wasn't mentioned in the news item I watched, there's no reason to assume
> it will be excluded from this requirement.

Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
WhatsApp, or iMessage?

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ABe*CKFEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26713&group=comp.mobile.android#26713

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 19 Jan 2022 10:14:10 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:14 UTC

In comp.mobile.android sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Part of these laws/regulations are to require interchange of messages
> > between different Instant Messaging (IM) platforms. While iMessage
> > wasn't mentioned in the news item I watched, there's no reason to assume
> > it will be excluded from this requirement.
>
> Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
> messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
> WhatsApp, or iMessage?

As long as that's under the user's control, that's fine. When the platform
wants to keep their users inside the walls for network effects and market
share, it's anti-competitive because it's very hard to build a competing
platform if all users are on WhatsApp or iMessage.

For example, on iOS 'Messages' is a single app but you can decide to disable
iMessage or disable sending as SMS. So if you want to stay inside one
ecosystem you can.

It just means platforms can't use their user base as a competitive
advantage by keeping them in silos.

Theo

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss8u8h$uvi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26715&group=comp.mobile.android#26715

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 12:56:01 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:56 UTC

Am 19.01.22 um 11:14 schrieb Theo:
> In comp.mobile.android sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
>> messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
>> WhatsApp, or iMessage?
>
> As long as that's under the user's control, that's fine. When the platform
> wants to keep their users inside the walls for network effects and market
> share, it's anti-competitive because it's very hard to build a competing
> platform if all users are on WhatsApp or iMessage.
>
> For example, on iOS 'Messages' is a single app but you can decide to disable
> iMessage or disable sending as SMS. So if you want to stay inside one
> ecosystem you can.
>
> It just means platforms can't use their user base as a competitive
> advantage by keeping them in silos.

SIC! There is no obvious misuse of a monopoly. There is none. The
messenger market is a highly fragmented market in the US and globally.
iPhone and Android users have choices and can use them easily with no
hurdles.

iMessage is only a pain in the ass of Google. But who cares about that?
Certainly not the successful competitor Apple or other highly successful
messenger suppliers. Even less the Competition Authorities. Google is
simply failing. Let them try with that RCS-fail.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss9881.soc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26716&group=comp.mobile.android#26716

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 19 Jan 2022 13:46:40 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:46 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
[...]

> SIC! There is no obvious misuse of a monopoly. There is none. The
> messenger market is a highly fragmented market in the US and globally.
> iPhone and Android users have choices and can use them easily with no
> hurdles.

Can't hear you! I'm using Windows, what are you using.

Wanted to email you, but Lotus Notes and HPDESK barfed and Compuserve
and UUCP mail didn't work either. Wanted to try HP OpenMail next, but
Microsoft put a stop to that.

[...]

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss98g4.soc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26717&group=comp.mobile.android#26717

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 19 Jan 2022 13:50:56 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:50 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Part of these laws/regulations are to require interchange of messages
> > between different Instant Messaging (IM) platforms. While iMessage
> > wasn't mentioned in the news item I watched, there's no reason to assume
> > it will be excluded from this requirement.
>
> Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
> messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
> WhatsApp, or iMessage?

See Theo's response.

IIRC, Signal was mentioned as one of the platforms and privacy-
proponents welcome the EU plans, so I'm sure they (the EU) will tackle
the security aspects accordingly.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<190120221036274453%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26720&group=comp.mobile.android#26720

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:36:27 -0500
 by: nospam - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:36 UTC

In article <ss8u8h$uvi$1@dont-email.me>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> iMessage is only a pain in the ass of Google. But who cares about that?
> Certainly not the successful competitor Apple or other highly successful
> messenger suppliers. Even less the Competition Authorities. Google is
> simply failing.

google has released 13 messaging apps so far, all failures.

apparently google can't come up with something competitive.

> Let them try with that RCS-fail.

i guess they want to go for 14. maybe more.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss9dnm$hmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26721&group=comp.mobile.android#26721

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:20:04 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:20 UTC

On 1/19/2022 2:14 AM, Theo wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/18/2022 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Part of these laws/regulations are to require interchange of messages
>>> between different Instant Messaging (IM) platforms. While iMessage
>>> wasn't mentioned in the news item I watched, there's no reason to assume
>>> it will be excluded from this requirement.
>>
>> Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
>> messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
>> WhatsApp, or iMessage?
>
> As long as that's under the user's control, that's fine. When the platform
> wants to keep their users inside the walls for network effects and market
> share, it's anti-competitive because it's very hard to build a competing
> platform if all users are on WhatsApp or iMessage.
>
> For example, on iOS 'Messages' is a single app but you can decide to disable
> iMessage or disable sending as SMS. So if you want to stay inside one
> ecosystem you can.
>
> It just means platforms can't use their user base as a competitive
> advantage by keeping them in silos.

iMessage already has the option to send and receive SMS. No problem there.

WhatsApp, WeChat, and Signal do not. But these are cross-platform, free,
apps that anyone can use. There are also paid, highly secure,
cross-platform messaging apps like Coretext.

What would be better than a law to require interchange of messages
between various apps, would be a law that mandates that all phones
support RCS.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss9ik3.ocg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26722&group=comp.mobile.android#26722

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: 19 Jan 2022 16:43:47 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:43 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/2022 2:14 AM, Theo wrote:
> > In comp.mobile.android sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> On 1/18/2022 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> Not sure if this is the greatest idea. Does a user of a high-security
> >> messaging platform like Signal want their messages sent over SMS,
> >> WhatsApp, or iMessage?
> >
> > As long as that's under the user's control, that's fine. When the platform
> > wants to keep their users inside the walls for network effects and market
> > share, it's anti-competitive because it's very hard to build a competing
> > platform if all users are on WhatsApp or iMessage.
> >
> > For example, on iOS 'Messages' is a single app but you can decide to disable
> > iMessage or disable sending as SMS. So if you want to stay inside one
> > ecosystem you can.
> >
> > It just means platforms can't use their user base as a competitive
> > advantage by keeping them in silos.
>
> iMessage already has the option to send and receive SMS. No problem there.

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek, but SMS isn't IM.
SMS is way too limited for what a somewhat normal IM system can do.
Might as well use FAX! :-)

> WhatsApp, WeChat, and Signal do not. But these are cross-platform, free,
> apps that anyone can use. There are also paid, highly secure,
> cross-platform messaging apps like Coretext.
>
> What would be better than a law to require interchange of messages
> between various apps, would be a law that mandates that all phones
> support RCS.

One doesn't exclude the other. But those who seem (claim?) to be in
the know, claim that RCS is not a suitable interchange functionality.

Let's see what they (the EU et al) come up with.

Re: Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android

<ss9g0v$3u7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26724&group=comp.mobile.android#26724

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:59:09 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:59 UTC

On 1/19/2022 8:43 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not sure if that's sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek, but SMS isn't IM.
> SMS is way too limited for what a somewhat normal IM system can do.
> Might as well use FAX! :-)

Not at all sarcastic.

If you are using iMessage on iPhone and you send a message to a friend
on Android, it will be sent as a SMS message. Similarly, if they reply,
you'll still get the SMS from them in iMessage.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Why iMessage is such a big deal to Android