From: whi...@tilde.club (✉)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: rising-air.slack.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 18:58:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: - Mon, 9 May 2022 18:58 UTC

This is a periodic reminder that a Slack "workspace" exists at rising-air.slack.com. 561 messages have been sent on it since it began early this year, most of them private. As long as no one is paying for this (which is typical), old ones will roll off after that number reaches 10k.

There are 29 members not counting me.

- Anyone can create a channel, be it private or public.
- You can see who is logged on, so conversation in real time is possible.
- You can edit a message after you send it.
- It's really easy to share images or video.

The more the merrier — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect. It needs a name. The workspace needs its own icon. Eventually I'd like to share or hand off the admin account.

If you haven't joined, ignore the suggestion about using a work email address when you visit —

https://join.slack.com/t/rising-air/shared_invite/zt-153za2tua-yKTviMXSg70x5ybBHjHbbA

If you have joined, recall it's at https://rising-air.slack.com.

Re: rising-air.slack.com

<t5ca08$1nfu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26793&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26793

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Re: rising-air.slack.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 17:01:11 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Tue, 10 May 2022 00:01 UTC

On 5/9/2022 11:58 AM, ✉ wrote:
> This is a periodic reminder that a Slack "workspace" exists at rising-air.slack.com. 561 messages have been sent on it since it began early this year, most of them private. As long as no one is paying for this (which is typical), old ones will roll off after that number reaches 10k.
>
> There are 29 members not counting me.
>
> - Anyone can create a channel, be it private or public.
> - You can see who is logged on, so conversation in real time is possible.
> - You can edit a message after you send it.
> - It's really easy to share images or video.
>
> The more the merrier — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect. It needs a name. The workspace needs its own icon. Eventually I'd like to share or hand off the admin account.
>
> If you haven't joined, ignore the suggestion about using a work email address when you visit —
>
> https://join.slack.com/t/rising-air/shared_invite/zt-153za2tua-yKTviMXSg70x5ybBHjHbbA
>
> If you have joined, recall it's at https://rising-air.slack.com.

What public subjects have been discussed there?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Re: rising-air.slack.com

<slrnt7smv3.3qf0c.whir@tilde.club>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26838&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26838

From: whi...@tilde.club (✉)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 13:23:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:23 UTC

Eric, it's either "not much" or "not much yet." But there's no spam.

On 2022-05-10, Eric Greenwell <owner@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:
> On 5/9/2022 11:58 AM, ✉ wrote:
>> This is a periodic reminder that a Slack "workspace" exists at rising-air.slack.com. 561 messages have been sent on it since it began early this year, most of them private. As long as no one is paying for this (which is typical), old ones will roll off after that number reaches 10k.
>>
>> There are 29 members not counting me.
>>
>> - Anyone can create a channel, be it private or public.
>> - You can see who is logged on, so conversation in real time is possible.
>> - You can edit a message after you send it.
>> - It's really easy to share images or video.
>>
>> The more the merrier — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect. It needs a name. The workspace needs its own icon. Eventually I'd like to share or hand off the admin account.
>>
>> If you haven't joined, ignore the suggestion about using a work email address when you visit —
>>
>> https://join.slack.com/t/rising-air/shared_invite/zt-153za2tua-yKTviMXSg70x5ybBHjHbbA
>>
>> If you have joined, recall it's at https://rising-air.slack.com.
>
> What public subjects have been discussed there?

Re: rising-air.slack.com

<t5lt8e$1u4e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26840&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26840

From: own...@thegreenwells.netto (Eric Greenwell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 08:25:03 -0700
 by: Eric Greenwell - Fri, 13 May 2022 15:25 UTC

I use a simple newsreader that is part of Thunderbird, so I don't mind the spam, as typing
"k" ("kill" {ignore} the thread) hides it from me going forward. Repeat bad actors, like
the Solution Manuals and Darryl the Alaska guy, can be added to the "Ignore" file, so they
don't show up at all. I also use "k" for any thread I'm not interested in, even if it's a
legitimate soaring subject.

Slack seems quite useful for the electric glider builders, where there is a strong focus
by a small (15?), active group on a particular segment of soaring, but not for the very
diverse interests (and more shallow, I'd say), of RAS participants.

On 5/13/2022 6:23 AM, ✉ wrote:

> Eric, it's either "not much" or "not much yet." But there's no spam.
>
> On 2022-05-10, Eric Greenwell <owner@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:
>> On 5/9/2022 11:58 AM, ✉ wrote:
>>> This is a periodic reminder that a Slack "workspace" exists at rising-air.slack.com. 561 messages have been sent on it since it began early this year, most of them private. As long as no one is paying for this (which is typical), old ones will roll off after that number reaches 10k.
>>>
>>> There are 29 members not counting me.
>>>
>>> - Anyone can create a channel, be it private or public.
>>> - You can see who is logged on, so conversation in real time is possible.
>>> - You can edit a message after you send it.
>>> - It's really easy to share images or video.
>>>
>>> The more the merrier — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect. It needs a name. The workspace needs its own icon. Eventually I'd like to share or hand off the admin account.
>>>
>>> If you haven't joined, ignore the suggestion about using a work email address when you visit —
>>>
>>> https://join.slack.com/t/rising-air/shared_invite/zt-153za2tua-yKTviMXSg70x5ybBHjHbbA
>>>
>>> If you have joined, recall it's at https://rising-air.slack.com.
>>
>> What public subjects have been discussed there?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Re: rising-air.slack.com

<t5n9tq$vpm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26855&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26855

From: rckymtns...@comcast.net (kinsell)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:07:20 -0600
 by: kinsell - Sat, 14 May 2022 04:07 UTC

When you say there's no spam, how do you define what spam is? Granted
most people would agree that Lennie and the Solution Manual stuff is
spam, but after that it becomes rather subjective.

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, there was a somewhat pompous
individual who occasionally posts on-topic, but mostly engages in
flame=baiting to try to get under the skin of certain people. Is that
spam? Would he be banned permanently from your Slack group, or would it
be on a case by case basis? Are you going to set up a Ministry of Truth
to make sure all posts are appropriate, or is it just your opinion?

How about the people who keeps responding to him (theoretically
speaking)? Some people keep trying to engage in rational discussions
with him, when it's clear that's not he's (or she's) after. Would that
be spam too?

I brought up this type of question for the Prime group, never got any
answer to that. Like Eric, I have very effective spam control readily
available, so I get to make my own decisions on the matter. That seems
much preferable to outsourcing the job to someone else.

-Dave

On 5/13/22 07:23, ✉ wrote:
> Eric, it's either "not much" or "not much yet." But there's no spam.
>
> On 2022-05-10, Eric Greenwell <owner@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:
>> On 5/9/2022 11:58 AM, ✉ wrote:
>>> This is a periodic reminder that a Slack "workspace" exists at rising-air.slack.com. 561 messages have been sent on it since it began early this year, most of them private. As long as no one is paying for this (which is typical), old ones will roll off after that number reaches 10k.
>>>
>>> There are 29 members not counting me.
>>>
>>> - Anyone can create a channel, be it private or public.
>>> - You can see who is logged on, so conversation in real time is possible.
>>> - You can edit a message after you send it.
>>> - It's really easy to share images or video.
>>>
>>> The more the merrier — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect. It needs a name. The workspace needs its own icon. Eventually I'd like to share or hand off the admin account.
>>>
>>> If you haven't joined, ignore the suggestion about using a work email address when you visit —
>>>
>>> https://join.slack.com/t/rising-air/shared_invite/zt-153za2tua-yKTviMXSg70x5ybBHjHbbA
>>>
>>> If you have joined, recall it's at https://rising-air.slack.com.
>>
>> What public subjects have been discussed there?

Re: rising-air.slack.com

<slrnt81vjn.6ome.whir@tilde.club>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=26860&group=rec.aviation.soaring#26860

From: whi...@tilde.club
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:21:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: whi...@tilde.club - Sun, 15 May 2022 13:21 UTC

It's not really mine. As I've tried to convey in some of my messaging, I'd like to share or hand over admin of this when it gets going well. Right now, early as it is, I'm the only admin, and that's not good for a few reasons.

Every message in a Slack workspace is in a channel, or it's private between two or more people. Right now this workspace has three channels — the two default channels that every new workspace lands with (#general and #random) and one that I created for picking — as a community — a name to go on the URL.

Anyone can create a channel for whatever trolling they'd like to try or to "try to get under the skin of certain people." Or for better ends. Anyone can look at that (unless it's a private channel) or choose not to. They can join the channel too. (If you join, it's easier to see what you've missed since you last logged on or last opened your app.)

A member has to find the channel, then at least look at it, to see anything in it. Although, as our workspace currently sits, this does not apply to #general and #random, where everyone gets put from day one.

This structure is different than a Usenet client with a kill file, but it's not "outsourced" either.