"Morality is one thing. Ratings are everything." -- A Network 23 executive on "Max Headroom"

computers / comp.mobile.android / QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

SubjectAuthor
* QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.VanguardLH
|`* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
| `- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.VanguardLH
+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burns
|+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.AJL
||+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Ken Blake
|||`* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.sms
||| +* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Ken Blake
||| `* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|||  `* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burns
|||   `* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|||    `* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burns
|||     `- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
||`* `micky
|| +* Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|| |`* Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|| | `* Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|| |  `* Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burnelli
|| |   `- Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Alan
|| +* Re: `Piet
|| |`* Re: `micky
|| | `- Re: `Frank Slootweg
|| `* Re: `Andy Burnelli
||  +- Re: `Alan
||  `- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.micky
|`- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.s|b
+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.R.Wieser
|+* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Frank Slootweg
||`- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burnelli
|`* Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Chris
| +- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.R.Wieser
| `- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burns
`- Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.Andy Burnelli

Pages:123
QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ncdkugdt5o39djc6qt4fnqhfrletoahtim@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26803&group=comp.mobile.android#26803

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:26:55 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 04:26 UTC

I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.

I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<e75rhek9mfnd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26804&group=comp.mobile.android#26804

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:22:37 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 05:22 UTC

micky wrote:

> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>
> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers

That a URL has human recognizable strings is only way to write a URL.
It could also be a series of digits.

Not all scan codes are URLs. They're just data content of which it
could be strings, like a bunch of numbers. It could product relative
information, like the SKU number for a product. It could be a tracking
code for a product.

https://cs.trains.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-07-48/1488.DSC_5F00_8236.jpg
You think whoever built the train car is giving you the URL string to
their web site? It's a means of tracking the cars.

As is typical of you, you don't provide details. Identify WHERE you
found the scan code. Else, you got the content that the scan code
contained, and no one can say different because you don't let anyone
else see the scan code pattern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

The content of a QR code is whatever the author wants to encode in it.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<j4vbmmFackbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26811&group=comp.mobile.android#26811

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:11:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:11 UTC

micky wrote:

> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones don't
direct you to a webpage. There is an official app for decoding them, which
shows your name, DoB and the expiry time.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<sse15f$nj1$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26812&group=comp.mobile.android#26812

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:15:52 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:15 UTC

micky,

> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers

In my country that QR code is nothing more than something comparable to an
SSL certificate. From it you can extract some personal data (enough to
verify the person), and *if need be* verify that the certificate was
provided by the correct authority.

>I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage,

That is exactly what its *NOT* supposed to do. /Any suggestion/ that
scanning such a QR code (person X was at location Y, time Z) could be
tatteled off to some mothership would instantly cause a ruckus (tracking
related), diminishing its intended use.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<sseemf$aht$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26814&group=comp.mobile.android#26814

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:07:11 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 14:07 UTC

On 1/21/2022 2:11 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones
> don't direct you to a webpage.

My local Applebee restaurant (USA) only gives physical menus on request.
Normally when you are seated you just point your phone at the QR code
posted on the table and read the menu on their website which
should automatically pop up on the phone. Works on both mine and the
wife's Android and iPhone. I believe it was developed for less covid
menu contact. That way they don't have to pretend they sanitize the
menus between customers...

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<rtslugpr10p637hkthujimglf0qcbo5983@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26821&group=comp.mobile.android#26821

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 11:05:19 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:05 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:07:11 -0700, AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 1/21/2022 2:11 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones
>> don't direct you to a webpage.
>
>My local Applebee restaurant (USA) only gives physical menus on request.
>Normally when you are seated you just point your phone at the QR code
>posted on the table and read the menu on their website which
>should automatically pop up on the phone. Works on both mine and the
>wife's Android and iPhone. I believe it was developed for less covid
>menu contact. That way they don't have to pretend they sanitize the
>menus between customers...

Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
get is thrown away after you use it.

I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
ask for one.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<sseva1$foq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26826&group=comp.mobile.android#26826

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:50 UTC

On 1/21/2022 10:05 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

<snip>

> Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
> get is thrown away after you use it.
>
> I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
> one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
> would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
> ask for one.

What? Are you Un-American? Eating at Olive Garbage, Dread Lobster, and
Crapplebee's is what true Americans do. You can even go to the world's
first combination IHOP Applebee's
<https://detroit.eater.com/2018/6/26/17505738/ihop-applebees-hybrid-worlds-first-open-all-day-detroit>.

Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
when they normally only have digital menus.

Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."

Anyway, I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific
apps. A restaurant will have the app to scan the vaccination QR code,
and before Apple had the capability to add digital vaccination records
(iOS 15.1) directly to your digital wallet there was an app that could
scan it and add it do your digital wallet.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<281mugp9kqprvarrrn1gssdoaqrtt2tbpo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26827&group=comp.mobile.android#26827

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:16:13 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:16 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/21/2022 10:05 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
>> get is thrown away after you use it.
>>
>> I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
>> one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
>> would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
>> ask for one.
>
>What? Are you Un-American? Eating at Olive Garbage, Dread Lobster, and
>Crapplebee's is what true Americans do.

I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.

I might be misremembering, but I think I also ate at a Red Lobster
once. It wasn't as bad as Olive Garden, but I barely tolerated it. I
never want to go back.

>You can even go to the world's
>first combination IHOP Applebee's
><https://detroit.eater.com/2018/6/26/17505738/ihop-applebees-hybrid-worlds-first-open-all-day-detroit>.
>
>Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
>when they normally only have digital menus.
>
>Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."

You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
ping pong.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<rn1mug5e3is16nd3bmbcqkjuqvb2pv1706@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26828&group=comp.mobile.android#26828

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:19:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:19 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:16:13 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 1/21/2022 10:05 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> Many restaurants I go to have a stack of xeroxed menus. The one you
>>> get is thrown away after you use it.
>>>
>>> I've never been to an Applebees, and have no plans of ever going to
>>> one. That sort of place isn't my cup of tea, but if it were, your post
>>> would turn me off. I want a physical menu, and I should not have to
>>> ask for one.
>>
>>What? Are you Un-American? Eating at Olive Garbage, Dread Lobster, and
>>Crapplebee's is what true Americans do.
>
>I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.
>
>I might be misremembering, but I think I also ate at a Red Lobster
>once. It wasn't as bad as Olive Garden, but I barely tolerated it. I
>never want to go back.
>

>>You can even go to the world's
>>first combination IHOP Applebee's
>><https://detroit.eater.com/2018/6/26/17505738/ihop-applebees-hybrid-worlds-first-open-all-day-detroit>.
>>
>>Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
>>when they normally only have digital menus.
>>
>>Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>

>You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
>ping pong.

....or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
mind).

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ssff61$28i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26832&group=comp.mobile.android#26832

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 15:21:38 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 23:21 UTC

On 1/21/2022 11:16 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:

<snip>

>> Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>

> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
> ping pong.

I used to work for a division of Xerox. We were told not to call
photocopiers "Xerox Machines."

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ssfis5$odj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26834&group=comp.mobile.android#26834

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:24:28 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 00:24 UTC

"Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote

> I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.

You must have *really* hated it. Usually you preface
your opinions by saying people have a right to their own
opinion. :)

I've never been inside any of those restaurants.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ssfkfo$1ic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26835&group=comp.mobile.android#26835

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:52:06 -0800
 by: sms - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 00:52 UTC

On 1/21/2022 4:24 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>
>> I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.
>
> You must have *really* hated it. Usually you preface
> your opinions by saying people have a right to their own
> opinion. :)
>
> I've never been inside any of those restaurants.

I ate at an Applebee's maybe 15 years ago, off of I-80 on the way back
from Lake Tahoe. My sister-in-law ordered some pasta dish and asked them
to leave out one ingredient. The waitress helpfully explained that that
wasn't possible because the pasta entree came frozen in a plastic bag
and the restaurant simply boiled the food, in the bag, then put it on a
plate. Not an uncommon procedure at places like that (Denny's,
Applebee's, etc.).

You might be okay ordering a hamburger at a place like Applebee's since
they have to actually grill it. But I've not been back.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<1vyax0pfiq9ms$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26839&group=comp.mobile.android#26839

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 01:04:51 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 07:04 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> "Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>
>> I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.
>
> You must have *really* hated it. Usually you preface
> your opinions by saying people have a right to their own
> opinion. :)
>
> I've never been inside any of those restaurants.

I've been to Olive Garden when my step-mom had a birthday party for my
Dad there. I've been there before, but nothing special for me to
remember. My "taste" there is their salads are great, but their meals
are bland: it's either red sauce on some pasta (having different shapes
doesn't make it different pasta), or white sauce on the same pasta. So,
you can order pasta+red, or pasta+white. I thought their salads were
excellent. Back then, you couldn't order just the all-you-can-eat
salad, so I bought some soup, too, but mostly focused on the salad. I
think they added a menu item for an endless salad you can buy
separately, but it was priced like a full meal. With them now only
having ordering online for take out (in my area) because of Covid19,
obviously you cannot get their all-you-can-eat or endless salads,
anymore.

I'm not saying their food is good or bad. I didn't hate their food, but
didn't love it, either. I'm not into pasta meals, especially when the
only choice is the same pasta but with either red or white sauce. Been
a long time since I've been to an Olive Garden, but don't recall
anything but their salad appealing to me. I'm also not into eating
water bugs, so Red Lobster has no appeal to me, either. The only item I
remember liking at Red Lobster were their cheddar biscuits, but I can
make those at home.

`

<mbinugt845sov6me162s0jv61kocq6082i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26840&group=comp.mobile.android#26840

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: `
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:14 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:07:11 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 1/21/2022 2:11 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I don't know anything about American covid QR codes, but the UK ones
>> don't direct you to a webpage.
>
>My local Applebee restaurant (USA) only gives physical menus on request.
>Normally when you are seated you just point your phone at the QR code
>posted on the table and read the menu on their website which
>should automatically pop up on the phone.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.

> Works on both mine and the
>wife's Android and iPhone. I believe it was developed for less covid
>menu contact. That way they don't have to pretend they sanitize the
>menus between customers...

LOL

When I was in Central America in 1971, I would go to thhe cheapest
restaurant where a full meal was 50 cents and the menus were
mimeographed, the stuff that printed in blue, came out wet, and smelled
unual. And was the cheapest kind of printing and their menus often haad
food stains on them, and still, the waiter would take away the menu the
moment I ordered, so I coudln't consider desert and so I couldn't learn
Spanish. Well, when I asked to keep it, they all let me, but here in
the US too and before Corona, they are always taking away the menu so I
can't check what I should have orddered or what there is for desert.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ngmnug1c2q0bmi9gbkbm864tlhkutsa55r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26841&group=comp.mobile.android#26841

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:25:06 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:25 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:24:28 -0500, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"Ken Blake" <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote
>
>> I ate at an Olive Garden once. I hated it.
>
> You must have *really* hated it. Usually you preface
>your opinions by saying people have a right to their own
>opinion. :)
>
> I've never been inside any of those restaurants.

I've been to Olive Garden once. I used to live in Brooklyn, and my
friend who lived in NY all his life and moved to NYC, with all its great
restaurants, was down here to testify in court in Beltsville for his law
firm, and I wanted to taake him to a nice place, but also one that was
convenient.

It was just off I-95 between Beltsville (DC) and Baltimore. It was so,
well, lower middle income. I guess this is one of the few times
advertising got hold of me. It was mostly the ambience iirc. I wanted
to give him a treat.

a) my friend didn't complain, and maybe was okay with it. Maybe he
thought I was poor.
b) I don't know where we woudl have gone instead that was not harder to
get to.

We also went trap shooting before dinner, near Beltsviile. I think that
was a treat for him.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<72knugdqngcnushq4njpakajn6q2063leg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26842&group=comp.mobile.android#26842

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:27:34 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:27 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 10:50:41 -0800, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific
>apps.

I think you got it right. But I can't find which app would do it? If
restaurants can have one, it shoudln't be hard to get.

Although it's still not that easy. When I look at all the QR code
readers in t he app store, none mention Covid in the search page.

When I add Covid to the search terms, I get loads of apps for that, but
none mention QR in their titles.

So I searched for "qr code scanner covid airport" and I'm busy reading
that now**.

FWIW, I foudn the url and went back to the page that offered me a QR
code and this is what it says. It starts to be helpful but doesn't go
into enough detail. For example, if you're right, it doesn't say so.
it doesn't say what you need to read it and get back to this very page.

COVID-19 Vaccination
The QR Code below contains information related to your vaccination
status. Use and sharing of data through the QR Code below is done at the
sole risk of the user. This QR code will expire on 2/16/2022. You will
need to log back in on 2/17/2022 to get your new QR code from your
participating state. For more information on the data contained in this
QR Code, please click on the link.

[Elswhere something explains tha they will ALL expire on that date, and
it's not clear what will replace it. You have to try again to see if
your state, one of 7 or 8 enrolled now is enrolled after that date, and
you probably have to print another code (My currently scheduled flight
is before this date, but I might have to change it.)

> A restaurant will have the app to scan the vaccination QR code,
>and before Apple had the capability to add digital vaccination records
>(iOS 15.1) directly to your digital wallet there was an app that could
>scan it and add it do your digital wallet.

**The firxt hit was an urgent care center in La Jolla!

QR Code on COVID-19 Test Posted on June 22, 2021 by Dr. Peter Mann

If you need a QR Code on your COVID-19 test for travel, give us a call
today! (858) 255-8325 [So you have to call them!]

? Our QR codes comply with international standards
? QR codes link to testing and medical certificates
? rt-PCR, rapid, and antigen testing available
? rt-PCR results with certificate and QR code returned in as little as
24 hours
? Results are always signed and stamped by a licensed physician

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<9ninugdv3ubflv7n2e8froqev7vo9jc0g4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26843&group=comp.mobile.android#26843

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:28:36 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:28 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:22:37 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
>> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>>
>> I think it was supposed to go the webpage with my vaccination record.
>> But regardless, what does it mean if I only get numbers
>
>That a URL has human recognizable strings is only way to write a URL.
>It could also be a series of digits.
>
>Not all scan codes are URLs. They're just data content of which it
>could be strings, like a bunch of numbers. It could product relative
>information, like the SKU number for a product. It could be a tracking
>code for a product.
>
>https://cs.trains.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-07-48/1488.DSC_5F00_8236.jpg
>You think whoever built the train car is giving you the URL string to
>their web site? It's a means of tracking the cars.
>
>As is typical of you, you don't provide details.

Because I'm not interested in solving a particular problem. I just want
to know how these things work in general.

> Identify WHERE you
>found the scan code.

If I knew it off hand, I still might have included it, but then I'd have
to give you my password for my own medical records. I trust you but not
the thousands of lurkers here. The QR code is onlyi for each person 7
or 8 states that use this service to report vaccinations (not just
Corona. They say I'm 9 years late for my pneumonia shot and 55 years
past due for my DTaP/DT/Td shot. But they have the Corona shots
correct and that should be enough to make people happy.

But I scanned it again and got nothing but numbers agai, but way down at
the bottom was a button called Open.

I taked that and got Sorry, the requested application coudl not be
launced. The barcoade may be invalid.

So I found the webpage, printed it again, it looks just like the first
copy and like what's on the screen, and I scanned it again with a
different phone and the scanner is the QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
Play. The other phone is not here right now.

Continued in another post.

> Else, you got the content that the scan code
>contained, and no one can say different because you don't let anyone
>else see the scan code pattern.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code
>
>The content of a QR code is whatever the author wants to encode in it.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<eb2tbi-08k2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26844&group=comp.mobile.android#26844

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:19:58 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:19 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> >Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
> >when they normally only have digital menus.
> >
> >Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>
> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
> ping pong.

Careful, you're being very USA-centred (notice the spelling!), while
we do call table tennis 'ping pong' sometimes we would only use
'Kleenex' if we mean that actual brand, it's a tissue otherwise.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<5d2tbi-08k2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26845&group=comp.mobile.android#26845

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:20:53 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:20 UTC

> ...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
> mind).

Same applies (re: USA), it's Sellotape over here! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<mhnnugl9lcve9d1nfb60p3lh7mbd4ofjsg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26846&group=comp.mobile.android#26846

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!50.7.236.10.MISMATCH!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!feeder.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!posting.tweaknews.nl!fx10.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:37:57 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:37 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:20:53 +0000, Chris Green
<cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>> ...or use Scotch Tape (and lots of others whose names don't come to
>> mind).
>
>Same applies (re: USA), it's Sellotape over here! :-)

It's getting harder to find genuine cellophane tape in the US. They
invented mystic tape 40 years ago and now they keep selling vinyl tape,
which rips all the time, and is hard to take off in one piece.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<ulnnugla3efcdckom59v3u9fvnmtliihlm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26847&group=comp.mobile.android#26847

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 05:43:11 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:43 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:19:58 +0000, Chris Green
<cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >Most restaurants in my ares will provide a physical menu, on request,
>> >when they normally only have digital menus.
>> >
>> >Please use "photocopied" instead of "xeroxed."
>>
>> You probably also don't want me to wipe my nose with Kleenex or play
>> ping pong.
>
>Careful, you're being very USA-centred (notice the spelling!), while
>we do call table tennis 'ping pong' sometimes we would only use
>'Kleenex' if we mean that actual brand, it's a tissue otherwise.

The Kleenex competitors would be very happy with you.

Like Xerox I've always thought that the ones whose trademarks are
"infringed" really shouyld be happy about it. If the standard of the
world is tha tisuse is equivalent to Kleenex, that seems to me to
encourage to buy actual Kleenex.

AIUI the wholders of the trademark sue when it's infringed because they
don't want it to become the generic word, but it seems to me that that
is good for them.

BTW, I sojourned in law school for a while and took Patents and
Trademarks, but I wasn't good student and certainly didn't have nerve to
ask an inessential non-legal-skill-promoting question like the one
above.

Re: QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<j525ijFqploU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26848&group=comp.mobile.android#26848

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:45:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:45 UTC

micky wrote:

> sms wrote:
>
>> I think that the vaccination QR codes are for use by specific apps.
>
> I think you got it right. But I can't find which app would do it? If
> restaurants can have one, it shoudln't be hard to get.

What's the "official" name for your covid pass, vaccine passport, vaccine proof
or whatever it's called over there? Search for that plus keywords of validator,
QR and app ...

Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<j2onugtj36naq5qg9gb2958m2n091cnpri@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26849&group=comp.mobile.android#26849

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:11:21 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:28:31 +1300, Ralph Fox
<-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:26:55 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
>> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
>> this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
>> vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
>> that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
>> but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.
>

>You did not say *what* you scanned it with.

I thought they were all the same, It's QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
Play

While there was a button, called Open, I think it already knew it would
be impossible to open it, because I think I've scanned other QR codes
that open automatically, like that restaurant menu.

And it starts off with SHC:/ so that's not any url I know.

All the rest of it is numberd from 0-9, no hexadecimal.

>Here in NZ, we would use the official NZ pass verifier app to scan
>my NZ vaccine pass QR code and prove I was vaccinated.

Aha. So I looked at that and it said good for my phone, so I'm
installing it but the green circle just spins around and around. I
might be a Kiwi out of the country planning to fly home, if that's the
problem, how do they know.

But Pass Verifier seems to be the secret, since searching the store for
QR or Covid gives loads of things that are not this.

Of course one says "for customers of Phyrem’s caché pass loyalty
system," so maybe NZ's won't work for me,

But at least I know it has to be a pass verifier and not just any qr
reader. So I presume this will work at the airport. Whether it's enough
for them, I don't know yet.

> * The verifier app will verify that the vaccine pass was provided
> by the correct authority and can extract some personal data
> from the QR code (enough to check the vaccine pass is for me
> and not for someone else).

Picky picky picky.

> * Scanning my NZ vaccine pass QR code will *not* send you off to a
> website. Here, you would not have the opportunity to fake it with
> your own QR code pointing to your fake "micky is vaccinated" web

I don't want to get kicked off the plane beforwe I get on the plane. I
came across an article about phoney covid tests:
https://www.internationalairportreview.com/news/150441/warning-serious-risk-air-travel-fake-covid-19-test/
Why not have fake QR codes and webpage to go with it.

> page.

Well, I could create my own QR code that that points to their very page,
myIRmobile.com , with which 7 US states and DC cooperate, but it would
insist on a userid and password, and then would give my name, and match
the piece of paper I'd be holding. Maybe they'll fill in the
uerid/password if I give it to them and settle for that.

Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<vjrnug1apmfn3r5hj1fq6um1e6pbjk81j4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26850&group=comp.mobile.android#26850

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:53:57 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 11:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:11:21 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:28:31 +1300, Ralph Fox
><-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 23:26:55 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> I scanned a QR code and instead of it going to a webpage, all it gave me
>>> was mamy, mamy rows of nothing but numbers.
>>

>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 04:14:02 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, that's the sort of thing I meant, and that I expected. I expected
>>> this QR code would be used at airports, etc. to prove someone was
>>> vaccinated, and a bunch of numbers doesn't do that. But I'lll track down
>>> that page again. I can't imagine where else I print ed a QR quote fr om
>>> but I want to make sure it was really the vaccination records webiste.
>>

>>You did not say *what* you scanned it with.
>
>I thought they were all the same, It's QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma
>Play
>
>While there was a button, called Open, I think it already knew it would
>be impossible to open it, because I think I've scanned other QR codes
>that open automatically, like that restaurant menu.
>
>And it starts off with SHC:/ so that's not any url I know.
>
>All the rest of it is numberd from 0-9, no hexadecimal.
>

>>Here in NZ, we would use the official NZ pass verifier app to scan
>>my NZ vaccine pass QR code and prove I was vaccinated.
>
>Aha. So I looked at that and it said good for my phone, so I'm
>installing it but the green circle just spins around and around. I
>might be a Kiwi out of the country planning to fly home, if that's the
>problem, how do they know.

It did install eventually, but it says, not too surprisingly now, Nz
Passs Verifier is a free MOH app for businesses and organizations to
scan and verify thir cutomers' my faccine pass.

So it's not for me.

But it makes pretty clear that I'm doing this right. As I said
elswhere, maybe myirmoble is not accepted yet. Some of thei rdata is
wrong but the covid is right, and they must be getting it from "official
" sources. Maybe the airplane etc. will let me use my phone to bring up
their webpage. Or their own computer.

But I'll bring the printed QR code and the other printed stuff and the
little cardboard thing they give you in the US, and I'll smile, and
maybe they'll let me on the plane and into the country.

Micky

>But Pass Verifier seems to be the secret, since searching the store for
>QR or Covid gives loads of things that are not this.
>
>Of course one says "for customers of Phyrem’s caché pass loyalty
>system," so maybe NZ's won't work for me,
>
>But at least I know it has to be a pass verifier and not just any qr
>reader. So I presume this will work at the airport. Whether it's enough
>for them, I don't know yet.
>

>> * The verifier app will verify that the vaccine pass was provided
>> by the correct authority and can extract some personal data
>> from the QR code (enough to check the vaccine pass is for me
>> and not for someone else).
>
>Picky picky picky.
>>
>> * Scanning my NZ vaccine pass QR code will *not* send you off to a
>> website. Here, you would not have the opportunity to fake it with
>> your own QR code pointing to your fake "micky is vaccinated" web
>
>I don't want to get kicked off the plane beforwe I get on the plane. I
>came across an article about phoney covid tests:
>https://www.internationalairportreview.com/news/150441/warning-serious-risk-air-travel-fake-covid-19-test/
>Why not have fake QR codes and webpage to go with it.
>
>> page.
>
>Well, I could create my own QR code that that points to their very page,
>myIRmobile.com , with which 7 US states and DC cooperate, but it would
>insist on a userid and password, and then would give my name, and match
>the piece of paper I'd be holding. Maybe they'll fill in the
>uerid/password if I give it to them and settle for that.

Re: `QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.

<4fsnughr4ta915iads4mn4uvr8giptjdle@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26851&group=comp.mobile.android#26851

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 07:07:27 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:07 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:53:57 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>It did install eventually, but it says, not too surprisingly now, Nz
>Passs Verifier is a free MOH app for businesses and organizations to
>scan and verify thir cutomers' my faccine pass.
>
>So it's not for me.
>
>But it makes pretty clear that I'm doing this right. As I said
>elswhere, maybe myirmoble is not accepted yet. Some of thei rdata is
>wrong but the covid is right, and they must be getting it from "official
>" sources. Maybe the airplane etc. will let me use my phone to bring up
>their webpage. Or their own computer.
>
>But I'll bring the printed QR code and the other printed stuff and the
>little cardboard thing they give you in the US, and I'll smile, and
>maybe they'll let me on the plane and into the country.
>
>Micky

No one else here is interested in this but me, but I post it for
completeness and because it's a curiosity. What are they doing wrong
that they can't fix that others are not doing wrong:

"My QR code used to work but now it doesn't... It works on o=ther
validators,?" and he names 4 of them. Bindle, SB Project, CLEAR , and
Covid Immunity Project. So why can't people just use those validators.
What is so special about Common Trust network.?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4314874848630744&id=1190707191047541&post_id=1190707191047541_4314874848630744

And that webpage is not obsolete, The QR codes are there, but the page
from 2 days ago was still saying there was a problem. I don't know what
happens on Feb 16, and they don't say.

computers / comp.mobile.android / QR scanners gives only numbes, no url. , no webpage.